The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 206 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 206 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 764 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1109 build_postbit
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 206 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Home Calendar Help
t
o
g
g
l
e

d
i
s
c
o
r
d
Information Chat
Rating: 3-3-3

Word Count: None

Fandoms: All

Canons: Open/Oc's Welcome!

Bans: Howard the Duck,
RPF* Real Person Fiction; IE Apping an actual celebrity

Main Rule:Don't Be a Dick

OOC min age:18

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: Christian VerglasWhat a Wonderful World
DC-DCTVU-1

561 Posts
24 Threads
Job: PA/Magician
Ship Status: Single with Complications
Sexual Orientation: Pan-Romantic
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,562
It was, Christian had to admit, also possible that Camila only acted terribly toward him. That was possible. In fact, it would be nice if the girl didn’t get as...grabby...with Safi as she did with Chris. The thought surprised Chris, but he couldn’t deny that it was true. Still, it was shocking, to feel… What was this, exactly? Protective? It might be; it was sort of almost the way he’d felt before, usually about Belle, but significantly different enough that… Well, Belle and he had never been anything more than siblings, and he definitely didn’t feel brotherly toward Safi, that was for sure.

Whatever it was, he felt it.

When Safi claimed that Chris owed him a dance, well, that was even more unexpected that the unexpected feelings that he still wasn’t sure how to even classify, let alone deal with. (He was definitely certain that he wasn’t going to act on them. Because… No. He was definitely not going to do that!) And you know what? Maybe he just… Wouldn’t. Deal with them. Maybe that could just wait till later, after the party, where he could pace and talk to Jonah and try to figure it out. Yeah. That. But the request? Sort of? For a dance was out of the blue, and… Welll, he wasn’t going to say no, because damn him, but now he wanted to dance the the dashing (thanks a whole lot for that, Belle, now he couldn’t help but think that every time he saw Safi!) man.

Oh, he very much wanted to dance with the dashing man. Very, very much.

That Safi automatically took the lead didn’t bother Chris; he could follow. He could lead, too, but he wasn’t going to argue it, because he didn’t mind. Besides, Safi was taller than he was, it made sense for him to lead. Right? Right. Stop being stupid, Chris.

Yeah, he might have stopped babbling out loud (he had realized that Safi didn’t seem to like it very much. Or at all, and thus just… Stopped.) but his mind? Oh, his mind hadn’t stopped. Chris didn’t even know how to stop it. Because this was just how he was; he talked, and chatted and… And most people just tuned him out. But Safi wasn’t wrong about the fact that Chris was a bit more reserved than he let on. People often made him nervous. Safi made him nervous, but in a different way than most people.

The song wasn’t a bad one. It had a good beat, and Christian was surprisingly fluid when he danced. Watching him, he knew he moved with a certain amount of excess energy, but on the dance floor, that excess transformed into a gracefulness that wasn’t precisely absent outside of dancing, but wasn’t nearly so evident. Around him, the party went on, plenty of people dancing, but Christian paid them no mind. The smile he wore was easy as he focused on the music, the rhythm; he was more relaxed than he’d been all week, and lord, did that feel good.
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Job: Bodygaurd
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,963
So when he didn't babble for a few moments Safi was actually relieved that he had managed to avoid another conversational land mine.

...and then it got eerie.

He kinda missed the babble, it might not be addressed to him but it gave him a strange almost secret insight into the way the man thought.

Till now he'd kept his hands to chaste locations, the half amused though came to him that it reminded him of his first boy girl dance.

“You dance often?” Safi slid his hands down Chris’s back, watching his reaction carefully.
DC-DCTVU-1

561 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

It took willpower not to babble. Sort of. Christian had become accustomed to just..saying what was on his mind. Sure, at work he had to be more careful, at least when he was speaking to outsiders or a superior, but when he was just chatting with his fellow PA’s or catching up with Tams or Gigi he just let go of the reins and talked. And when people got tired of hearing his voice, they’d shut down the conversation, or give him a pat on the shoulder (or head, in Gigi’s case) and it let him know he needed to hush a bit. And he did.

Safi had all but glowered whenever Chris allowed himself to do that, and Chris had, eventually, gotten the point. No more chatter. He spoke when he had something relevant to say; that didn’t seem to annoy the other man, but the chatterbox was turned to the ‘off’ position. No simple babble to fill the silence.

He missed being able to just speak his mind, though. It was nice, to just be able to chat away, whether or not his conversational partner was really even listening, or just letting him carry on.

”You dance often?”

Christian couldn’t help the derisive snort (aimed at himself of course) when he heard the question. ”Of course not. I’m me.” The look Christian gave Safi was one of surprise; yes, he was a good dancer, he knew that, he danced alone sometimes, in his apartment. ”I mean… Sometimes when I’m tired of working on a project, I’ll put some music on and dance… Does that count? Was that what you meant? But… Not with people…”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

He was him?

Safi’s eyebrows shot up; “you’re kidding.” Because yeah sure he was a tiny manic pixie boi’s where a thing in the club scene.

..or they were back home.

Maybe they weren't as popular here.

Safi had been a take it or leave it kind of guy for the flamboyant type, honestly more leave than take. But Chris didn't exactly fall into that category did he?

“Well if you did dance with People what sort of people would you want to dance with?” He asked drawing the other man closer as a slower song came on giving him the excuse.

Was he fishing? Yes yes he was, because as with EVERYTHING else besides his love of pie and hate of fondant, Safi was thoroughly confused by what the other man really liked.
DC-DCTVU-1

561 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Kidding?!? Christian blinked, his lips parting to respond, then closing again into a fine line before he muttered, ”Just because people at work tolerate me better than you tend to doesn’t mean they, or anyone else, actually attempt to spend time with me any more than you do.” He shrugged almost carelessly, but it was a careful sort of casualness. ”Besides, I’m not really one for crowds where everyone is touching you.”

Yes, Christian was flamboyant, he was cheerful and came off as the open like a library book sort of person, but he wasn’t, not really. Sure, he liked to dress...loud...but it was as much a facade as anything else; he was talkative, but he didn’t tell people the important things. He didn’t confide, not the deep stuff. Everyone knew he had a sister, that she lived in Gotham, that her name was Belle, but no one knew her last name, no one knew she wasn’t really related to him.

No one knew he hailed from the south. No one other than Safi, anyway. (Unless someone went peeking in through his personnel files, and he would pitch entire fits over that sort of breach of privacy!!) Hell, he’d gone to great lengths to drop his southern accent. Great, great lengths.

If he did dance with people what sort of… Were they...still talking about dancing here? Because it didn’t feel like they were talking about dancing. No, it sort of felt like dancing was being used as a euphemism, and that was...confusing...because a euphemism for what?! He felt the flush creep over his face, his ears, down his neck (he could blame the dancing this time, at least!), and fought the urge to giggle because that would be so horribly inappropriate that Chris was pretty sure Safi would just up and walk away. Yeah, and Chris wouldn’t even blame him, because...not the right response, Chris. Really not the right way to reply to that sort of thing. Especially if they were talking about actual dancing… ”Well, preferably people who also know how to dance? Because dancing with people who don’t know how to move… Yeah, not something I’d think I’d find appealing?” There, right? Dancing. They were talking about dancing, and his voice made that clear, didn’t it? God, he hoped so, because if Safi were talking about something other than dancing, that answer might not actually apply, because… Because Chris was, as Belle would say, a good boy.

Oh sweet Jesus. ”I mean…” and the flush grew darker, and god, he wasn’t sure this was something he could just so easily blame on the exertion of the dance. How red was he? He didn’t even know! ”If it’s...It’s just dancing, right? Without talking. You bring talking into the mix and that changes things, because you need to actually be able to talk to the person then, and that’s different than just dancing with them…”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Don't go out of their way anymore than he did? “So completely and utterly??” Because wow. He was just.

If they hadn't been on the dance floor Safi would have thunked his head into the nearest flat surface.

Ok so while HE was asking about both dancing and dancing Safi got the idea that Chris..wasn't.

However what he was saying applied to both and- “Sure but there can be a lot of fun in teaching someone how to dance, but I get experience is attractive, it's nice to not have to worry about surprising the other guy with your moves.”

Being able to talk...yeah that was a thing. “It's harder when you know you'll see them again have to actually care. Instead of just having fun.”
DC-DCTVU-1

561 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Chris made a small, strangled, frustrated sound in his throat. ”C’mon, Safi, give me a break, huh? You told me I offended you, you told me you didn’t like me. And I tried,” he sighed, looking away from the man’s eyes. He could do this, he just couldn’t look at him while he did it, ”I tried to let you be. You said you wanted to come tonight, and I liked… So I made sure you were invited. I figured I could invite one person and no one would get upset…” One person for himself. Just one. Because he liked Safi, even if Safi didn’t like him. ”But yeah, let’s not pretend that changes anything. Because I heard what you said. I heard you. I listen, you know.” His eyes were open, honest, and just a little bit watery. He didn’t like admitting this out loud, but damn it, Safi was acting like he was… ”My point is that no one cares outside of work. And that’s fine. I don’t go to work to make friends.” It would be nice, though. To have friends. The real sort, the ones that asked you to go with them for a drink after hours, or invited you over to just hang out. Yeah. Would be nice.

He blinked away the moistness in his eyes, focusing on the conversation at hand. Dancing. Right. Maybe sort of not just dancing, the way that Safi was speaking, but dancing… Euphemisms. Yeah.

Teaching someone to dance? ”I’m not sure I could teach someone to dance. I mean, sure, I’m not bad, I know I’m not, but that…” he shook his head, ”That takes a different set of skills, and I’m not sure I have them.”

Being able to talk… While dancing. Harder when you know you’ll see them again… Yeah okay, because you never know; you could say something stupid, right? Well, Chris was a pro at that, because he just kept saying stupid things to Safi, and it didn’t feel like he was going to be stopping anytime soon, because he’d just said a whole lot of stupid just now.

Hard when you know you’ll see them again and have to actually care.

Christian’s jaw shut with an audible click. Oh. That was what Safi was trying to say, then? This was just supposed to be fun, and he was ruining it. Motormouth. Chatterbox. Chatty Cathy. He’d been called all of it, growing up, but he’d never actually regretted it. He liked to talk, liked to see how a conversation could ebb and flow. ”I see your point. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to… Be difficult.” the words were spoken with resignation and something akin to sorrow, but no anger or fire. It didn’t even occur to him that Safi was the one who’d asked about dancing in the first place. Because Christian was the chatty one of them. Chris was the one who didn’t shut up.
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Safi just stared at him in blank confusion. “For the love of-” a long huffed out breath escaped him, he pulled a hand back long enough to pinch the bridge of his nose. “That's not-” oh come on! “Why do you think I'm here? Why I followed you home like some demented pie hating puppy?” Really was he so obtuse?

“I'm trying to get to know you better! I didn't like you because you seemed bound and determined to insult me without even bothering to get to know me!” Safi abuptly curled his arm behind chris dipping him. “Why would be dancing with you here?” He growled face inches away. “I'm not working. You made sure of that. So tell me Chris. Why do you think am I here?”

He wanted to shake him.

He really really did.

So he did the next best thing and kissed him.
DC-DCTVU-1

561 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

You are a stupid, stupid man. Stupid. I mean, it was ridiculously stupid to invite someone who didn’t even like you to a party for a fifteen year old brat that grabbed you in horribly inappropriate places and ways and then expect them to… What? What had he expected from Safi today? Nothing, really. He had hoped that Safi would enjoy the party, that he’d like the food, and had even arranged for a piece of cake to be fondant free after their discussion wherein Chris had found out that Safi felt much the same way Chris did about the gunk.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

”I really have no idea…” the words slipped out before Chris had time to make sure they wouldn’t just upset the man further. ”I…” His jaw worked slightly before he mumbled, the words, the truth, just started tumbling out as he flushed, darkly this time, ”I figured...that...that you invited yourself over in order to... To make me uncomfortable because Tams or Gigi or anyone had told you that…” No no no, he was not going to admit THAT of all things, especially not right now! ”That it would? Especially when you started… So… And you… You were so not like a puppy… Puppies are nowhere near as terrifying as you are.” Chris’ eyes went wide for a moment and he scrambled to explain, ”Not to say that you’re… You just… You... It’s… It’s really not for why you think, I swear, it’s just, and I…”

Stupid silly little man.

Why the hell would you want to get to know someone you didn’t even like better?! That made absolutely zero sense. Or maybe it didn’t make sense because Chris was an utter and complete idiot. That made a whole lot more sense, actually. Stupid stupid stupid… ”I wasn’t trying to insult you!” He managed to gasp the exclamation out in an actual, whole sentence, and for half a second he was actually proud of himself for managing to string a whole sentence together, which was just stupid because he should be able to speak like a freaking human being!

“Why would be dancing with you here?”

Safi was so damn close to him. Christian flushed harder (wow, that was even possible? Apparently yes, yes it was very possible, and he was doing it right at this very moment and oh boy he felt lightheaded!) and licked his lips. And after another half second, he pulled his eyes away from Safi’s mouth and looked at him, ”I… I don’t know… Being…” Dashing? Hot? Terrifying? His eyes were wide, and he was so, so warm, ”I dunno.”

And then Safi leaned forward and Chris could feel where their lips met and… Oh. Yes, please, this. Please.

He lost track of everything. It wasn’t, really, his fault. He’d been lightheaded before Safi had kissed him; lack of sleep, and all that stupid, stupid blushing, and then that kiss, the kiss that Chris had imagined repeatedly the last few months (and everyone knew that Chris had a crush on Safi, everyone… And he was even sure that even Safi probably knew, because Tams or Gigi or anyone from work probably told him…) and of course he just lost himself.

And the next thing he recognized was ABBA’s ‘Dancing Queen’ playing, and he knew that song… He knew that song because it was his ringtone. He blinked, and then moved, just slightly away from Safi (he needed to think and that man was so damn distracting..) and answered it, ”Hello?” Not work, not a voice he recognized, and they were asking for him in that formal, formal tone that never meant anything good, never anything good at all… ”Yes, this is he… What…” As hard as he’d been blushing before, the color drained away from his face in increments, leaving him far more pale than he’d been to start with. ”Is… Is she okay?” He stumbled away, glancing to Safi and shaking his head in regret as he moved away from the dance floor, ”Yes, I’m still here… Is she being held at the hospital or released?” He was shaking by the time he ended the call. Belle.
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Make him uncomfortable? Safi rubbed over his nose again. “You aren't my enemy, why would I torment you like that? I went to try and make a better relationship-” arrrgg! He could feel himself tripping over the language, yes he was fluent but some phrases got muddled in direct translation or just didn’t translate period.

In this case there was a specific idiom for making a smooth environment by drinking with your colleagues whom you were having a disagreement with. Except that the direct translation basically would end up being ‘Breaking the bears bread.’ And that didn't really make much sense at all.

And hell that wasn't even accurate! Sure that might have been his initial intent, but the tiny babble man had enticed him with his little quirks and blushes. And yes his damn confusing almost tears!!

“I'm not trying to be terrifying!!” Ok roaring that out aggrieved might not have been the best way to refute that point.

“I believe you now! But I didn't know that when we met!” And it seemed the best was to prove it was with a kiss.

Never let it be said he had the best impulses.

He was kissing back. Good. Excellent even…

Safi had begun to deepen the kiss when the little man's phone went off, dragging him away, mentally Safi was promising to do bad things to the person on the other side of the line for intruding.

“Chris?” His annoyance faded as he got gist of the conversation. “Mother? Sister?” He was all business now, taking the younger man's arm to lead him off the dance floor. “You need to go?” Safi would do what he could to help.
DC-DCTVU-1

561 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Chris blinked at Safi. ”Lots of people aren’t enemies.. That doesn’t mean…” There was honest confusion; the bigger you were, the more likely you were to torment the smaller people. That was just how things were. It was why he gave the big guys girlie nicknames; to say ‘Hey, I’ll fire first and get you, and you’ll know I’m not going to let you intimidate me.’ He frowned a little bit, ”I wasn’t angry about it… It wasn’t a bad night, you know… Not for me, really. You were even nice to Jonah.” Which had meant a whole lot to Chris. Safi had treated Jonah well, even playing games with him, and Chris had liked that.

The yelling made Chris flinch, just slightly, ”Neither does a tiger, but that doesn’t make it any less terrifying!” Christian huffed at Safi’s words, frowning, ”I called you by a girl’s name because it made you less intimidating! And you told me it offended you!” he paused, all but shivering with vehemence, but his words came out gentle, ”So I stopped.” Chris sucked in a deep breath, barely feeling his ribs, ”It was never about insulting you or making you feel bad. It was to make me feel better. You didn’t like me, but that didn’t mean that I didn’t like you. I tried to make it right…”

He wasn’t crying, at least. He had been pretty sure that admitting this all would make him sick, and he wasn’t even nauseous. He didn’t pull away, he didn’t try to backpedal, he just… He wanted Safi to understand that he hadn’t meant to be horrible to him. That he regretted making things bad between them.

And then Safi kissed him, and it was… It was so nice. Nicer than he’d imagined, really, which wasn’t too hard to believe, and there was this coil of heat in his stomach that pulled at him…

But his phone was ringing, and Chris didn’t even know how long that had been going on, just that it was now, and…

Chris frowned at the phone when he answered. This… If this was something stupid, he was going to scream, and he didn’t care how bad it would look for the Espinosa’s. Gabriella could make his life hell, because this had been good and wonderful and now he had to pull away and answer his stupid phone…

And hearing what the voice on the other end of the line was saying made him regret that he’d been irritated. It felt like his world was coming tumbling down around him, like it was all paint and someone had poured turpentine on it.. When he looked up at Safi, he had tears in his eyes, and his face was already wet, and he didn’t know when he’d started to cry, but he was. He was, and he didn’t even care because… ”Belle.” his voice was so hoarse he didn’t recognize it, his throat felt far too small, and he could barely hear himself. Was he speaking softly or was everything else just so terribly loud all of a sudden?? ”Belle’s in the hospital. She was… She was shot.” He nodded slowly to Safi, ”Need to tell Ms. Espinosa… I can’t stay… I have to… I have to get to Gotham.”

He was shuffling, trying to figure out where he needed to go, and finally he murmured, ”I don’t have a mother. You asked about my mother… I never knew her.”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“It wasn't a bad night for me either!” Why else did he think safi was here trying again??

A tiger? He'd be lying if Safi said he didn't preen at the comparison. What could he say? It was flattering!

“I didn't like you because you called me Sophie before I even knew YOUR name!” How was he the bad guy here??

Belle. His sister that safi had threatened to marry; shot. Damn.

“Right.” Safi’s phone was already out checking the train schedule, “there's a 10:15 that we can make if we leave now.” He glanced over where the Espinoza women were talking. “I'll make your excuses while you pack what you need and grab your coat.” Safi was making an assumption but if it had been his sister...yeah.

Ouch. No mom? Safi really couldn't imagine a life with out his wonderful overbearing mother.

“You ok for five minutes?” Because he looked about ready to pass out. Assuming he received confirmation. Safi would head out to charm the lady of the party.
DC-DCTVU-1

561 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

It hadn’t been a bad night for Safi? Well, okay, Chris had reacted oddly to things and he knew it, because he’d had maybe a little too much to drink… Maybe Safi hadn’t known about his crush? Was that even possible? He knew Tamsin and George knew, he knew they did, because they teased him mercilessly over it, and it wasn’t as though Safi didn’t know them - everyone knew Tams and Gigi, because they were first floor! ”Well… That’s good. I thought… I don’t usually do that… Drink like that…”

Yes, a tiger. Because Safi was dashing and beautiful and scary as shit. And it was the dashing and beautiful parts that made him so much scarier than some of the big goons in the bodyguard pool. Because while yes, Lexcorp tried to hire smart, when you were looking at bodyguards, that wasn’t always really an option. Besides, some of the VP’s liked the big stupid lugs instead of the pretty and intelligent ones like Safi. Chris found that ridiculous, but whatever, to each their own.

”I’m sorry.” Chris sighed, ”I was… You were so intimidating… I wasn’t trying to be insulting or offensive or mean… I really wasn’t, Safi. I’ve tried to be better, I have!” Chris didn’t think Safi was the bad guy. Hell, he felt horrible for offending the man, absolutely terrible. He wanted Safi to understand, but obviously that wasn’t happening. He sighed again, ”Nevermind; I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have.”

Belle had been shot. Shot! Damn Gotham City! Too dangerous! He’d tried to tell Belle that; tried to explain that Central was so much safer, that she could be safe in Central and not have to worry about this sort of thing so much… She’d been mugged, and now she’d been shot, and… And she was the only family he had and didn’t she know that she had to be more careful?! Tears ran down his cheeks and Chris struggled to remember to breathe in deeper breaths in order to keep his ribs from hurting worse. He nodded, ”Ok. I’ll be okay.”

He was moving, mechanically rather than how fluid he’d been on the dance floor, but he was moving, and with purpose. His briefcase, his coat. Maybe grab a bottle of water. Two bottles. Yeah, it was a long train ride.

Belle was the only family he had. The only family he had ever had… And she had been shot. Oh God. He took his things and scrambled away from the party, away from the music and the laughter and all of the things that five minutes ago had been so welcoming, so wonderful, and now just filled him with sorrow and an ache. He didn’t want to be surrounded by happiness and life and reminders that he was alone and that his sister was hurt and…

He leaned against the wall, eyes closed, clutching his briefcase with white knuckles in one hand, the other clasping a small brown paper bag with twine handles that had a couple of bottles of water and whatever the kitchen people had thrown in when Chris hadn’t been looking.
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Begging off was a matter of taking the Elder Espinosa aside, she wasn't completely heartless or if she was she was willing to do him a favor with an eye towards a power play of one type or another later. Safi wasn't so naive to believe that she could rise to be a VP at Lexcorp and not have ulterior motives for everything she did.

Regardless he took seven minutes, two over his stated timeline, to rendezvous with the smaller man. “There's a Uber outside, you go to go?” God. He was hardly able to stand. “I've got you..” Safi wrapped his hand around his elbow. “Come on. Need to move if we are going to make the train.”

He's half manhandle the smaller man if he had to, oh and he'd invited himself along.
DC-DCTVU-1

561 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Chris had worked for the woman he had, on more than one occasion called a harpy. She liked his efficiency. He worked hard to get away from her. It... Was a working relationship, and for the most part one that had few social parts to it. It grated on him that Safi was stuck doing this for him. Absolutely galled at this. Not to mention guilty.

And guiltier because Belle had been shot, and he'd been having a good evening, and had resented the phone call until he'd heard why someone was calling him. Opening his eyes. Chris glanced at his phone, frowning but nodding. "Yeah. You're late.” He tried to be teasing, playful, but it fell flat. He was terrified that Belle might be worse off than the nurse? (he thought she was probably a nurse) had led him to believe. Another Uber.

Chris moved, keeping quiet. The smaller man could be shockingly pliant when he chose to be, letting Safi lead him where they needed to go. The train. Right. They had to hurry, or they’d miss the train. The train to Gotham to go see Belle and make sure she was okay. Right. ”Right.” the word was spoken almost weakly, but Christian nodded rapidly. He needed to see Belle. Because… Oh god… He all but curled up in his seat in the Uber, half draped over his briefcase, half trying to make himself as small as possible, which was pretty damn small, really.

”She’s okay, right? They wouldn’t say she was okay if she wasn’t okay. They’d tell me if she wasn’t okay… Wouldn’t they? They wouldn’t say not to worry if she were hurt for the sake of keeping me calm, right? Because it’s not… It’s really not keeping me calm. At all. I’m not calm Safi.” No, in fact his heart felt like it was about read to jackrabbit right out of his chest… ”She’s the only family I’ve ever had! I can’t… I can’t lose her..”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“They'd tell you if she was hurt badly. What exactly did they say? If she's being released she's stable and functional.” He added reassuringly. “You aren't going to lose her.” Firm he had to be solid and pray he wasn't lying.

Yes another Uber, because these days they were faster than a taxi and neither of them had the pull for a private driver for non-company business. Hell even for company business it was always for someone else!

In his mind Safi was keeping a careful mental clock, talining how long it would take to get to the station, trip time, logicstics of finding a hotel where he didn't have to sleep with a gun under his pillow.

Except he wasn't armed.

Damn it.

He had a federal concealed carry permit thanks to the company, but since Chris had gone to such lengths to make sure he wasn't ‘working’ that night, Safi had come unarmed.

This now seemed an oversight.

“Do you know what happened?” His phone was discreetly palmed, hotel and train tickets being brought one handed.

"Tell me about her." Talking about the woman might help center him. "What's your happiest memory of her?"
DC-DCTVU-1

561 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

They’d tell you if she was hurt badly. Right, of course they would. He was her emergency contact. And hey, in small doses, like over a phone call, Christian was damn good at, well at least sounding like he was put together. He wasn’t, and he knew that, but he had to stick with it, here. He had to get to Belle. Then he could relax. ”They said… She was shot. In the arm. She’s…” He took in a deep, shuddering breath, reminding herself, ”They said she would be alright, and they were going to send her home.” That obviously didn’t help the irrational fear that Belle wouldn’t be there when they got there, though. He couldn’t shake that horrible, terrible thought.

Stable and functional. Right. Stable and functional. ”Yeah. Stable and functional.” It was clear that he was trying to convince himself, not Safi.

The Uber was actually appreciated. Where Christian tended to spend his money carefully, he did have a savings account with a decent amount set aside for emergencies. Like, for example, his sister being shot.

And it was really a good thing that he didn’t know that Safi was usually armed. Oh, not that Safi would become scarier, not really, because Chris liked Safi, and trusted him enough to not shoot him, but because… Okay, that was sort of really hot. Okay, not sort of at all, it was definitely really hot.

It would have been amazingly distracting, had Chris known.

Christian wasn’t watching Safi, his eyes weren’t on anything, really, as he tried to focus on being calm, remembering how to breathe, and convince himself Belle would be okay. ”She was on the subway, and she was shot.” That was what he knew about what happened. The rest… Well, he’d have to wait to hear anything more about it.

Tell him about Belle? His happiest memory of her?

Christian considered, ”She’s goodness. I know it sounds cheesy, but… She was my moral compass when I needed one, you know? If Belle thought something was okay, then I knew it was. She’s why I try to see the best in people, not that I always do, but… She does. And she’s smart, too, not that she’d ever say she was, but she is…” He paused, sucking in a breath before he murmured, ”My happiest memory of her was the day she was adopted. She deserved it, and she needed it… And I was jealous, sure, all of us were, because we all wanted to have a real home, you know? Somewhere we could actually belong like that, but I was glad she was getting one, because she was… She was good. And I thought it might mean I wouldn’t see her again, but that would be okay, as long as her mother was good to her, and…” Chris was close to tears; he wasn’t actually crying, but he wasn’t quite so tense anymore, either. ”It didn’t, though. Belle still came to visit, and we still got to stay close, and that was good. I’d have missed her very much if she hadn’t been able to visit like she did.”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

‘Arm’ Safi nodded, “she'll be in pain-” duh, “but with PT she’ll be fine.” He gave realistic comfort, hopefully his experience would give some first hand credibly to his words.

What he didn't say was that she'd probably feel the ache, especially if it hit bone, for the rest of her life.

The reminder awoke the ache in his chest, the cold burn in his hip; he resisted the urge to rub at the phantom pains.

Chris began his tale and Safi had to suppress the headshake, god the guy almost sounded in love with her. Or at least viewing through very rose colored glasses.

Safi was now wondering how much older she was that Chris viewed her almost as a mother?

And wow. Just. Wow. He was.

Shit. He was either insane or the best man he'd ever met. Because Safi had asked for the best and who the hell didn't even have some resentment? Even well buried? Or at least a little sadness?

Lord. Just wow.

“I'm sorry you were separated, but I'm glad her adopted parents let you visit...still bad they didn't adopt you as well.”
DC-DCTVU-1

561 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

As many beatings as Christian had had in his life, he had never been shot. Oh, it was a very real fear, sure, because who didn’t feel a little bit scared at the idea of being shot? But he’d never experienced it. The way Safi spoke made it sound like the other man was definitely speaking as someone who had gone through the very thing. Speaking from experience rather than supposition. ”Have you..?” he didn’t finish the question, less because of his emotional state, and more because he was obviously trying to be respectful. If Safi didn’t want to talk about it, Christian would press.

Chris loved Belle, adored her, really; she was the only person in the world that he trusted entirely. Where Chris was terribly vulnerably physically, he had armored his heart quite carefully; he made ‘friends’ quite easily, but rarely let anyone too close, always holding them at arm’s length. Belle, however, had been given a key and free access. And it showed in how he spoke of her; there was a warmth in his voice when he talked about his sister. Not in love with her, but loved fiercely nonetheless. Chris had no idea how a person really felt about their mother; he’d never really had one.

Smiling, not the too-obviously-cheerful sort of smile he often wore, but the honest kind he wore far less often, Chris shrugged a little bit, ”Just mother. Belle was adopted by her mother, but there was never a father.” He tilted his head, looking up at Safi almost shyly, ”It was okay. Better her than me. She needed someone to take care of her, Safi. Someone to let her grow up loved like that, so she could be.. Who she is.” He fidgeted, ”Well, it was never good odds we’d get placed together, you know? I mean… That would have been… But it was never going to happen. Her mama couldn’t have. But she was good for Belle.”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

A quick nod answered his question, “Eight years in Sayeret Matkal ” would he know? “Israeli Defence Force, special forces. “ and even without coalition missions Safi’s homeland wasn't exactly a peaceful place. “Shot twice that penetrated.” Shot at? A lot a lot more.

Would it help distract him? Or just add fuel to the fire? Stretching out Safi lifted his shirt, thumb hooked into his waistband, the edge of his black boxer briefs were tugged out of the way to expose the jagged white scar, shinny on his left hip. “It sucks but she sounds like a strong woman-” ok that was an exaggeration he didn't know that, but hell it was a white lie
“She can get through it.”

Safi shifted his clothing back into place as the car dropped them off on the curb, “What about you?” He asked making sure the guy wasn't going to faceplant getting out, a hand ready but not intrusively ready to steady if needed.

“I already got the tickets-” Safi jerked his head toward the outbound platforms; “let's board yeah?”