231 Posts
10 Threads
Job: Rogue Superhero
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 632
When Worlds Collide

Finally really wasn’t the right word here. Steve read all the files, and kept up to date with them, on all of the Avengers and even on the people in the Avengers’ sphere of influence, like Pepper Potts and Clint’s family. The incident with the palladium poisoning wasn’t very well known, but it was in Tony’s (and Rhodes’ and Pepper’s) file, which Steve had read in full. He didn’t mention it, because it was one of those personal things that Steve felt slightly uncomfortable knowing.

He mentioned it now both because it was relevant and because Steve was hurt, frankly too much for the discomfort of knowing something so personal to stop him from bringing it up. ”Because maybe it gives them either the time to come to terms with it, or to help do something about it! Because damn it Tony, you’re not doing anyone any favors by pretending you’re okay, because we know you’re not!” The words weren’t yelled, but they were spoken with the fervor of someone speaking from his own personal experience and heart.

The moment that Arjay had grabbed Tony, Steve had known this wasn’t going to go well. Tony was upset (which Steve understood), and Steve knew that he wasn’t going to be nice about this (again, somewhat understandable). Arjay was obviously offended (not that Steve could blame the elf for having that reaction) which was equally bad. And Steve was, once more, caught in the middle. Today, however, he was set on not having to sacrifice one friendship for another. He’d done that, and it wasn’t something he wanted to experience a second time. Stepping between them to stop either of doing something they (or he) would regret, to try to see if he could calm Tony down from what he knew would be taken as a violation and/or attack, and if that failed then to take whatever punishment Tony decided to dole out. Arjay was only there because Steve had called him.

There were some things that Steve just knew. That Tony Stark would not kill him was one of those things. Oh, they had fought, fiercely, but Tony had had his chance, repulsors charged in Steve’s face, missiles armed and ready as ever, and he hadn’t taken it. And while he knew that Tony didn’t believe it, Steve would not kill him, either. Standing your ground wasn’t so hard when you knew the other person wasn’t going to do anything to you you couldn’t take (and heal).

Steve also knew those repulsors, knew what they looked like, what to expect from them, because he had fought beside and against them. He had those beams memorized, as much a part of him as knowing the ricochet pattern of his much-missed shield. And those beams were not supposed to be.. Orange. That was wrong, and it worried Steve, but it wasn’t a topic to discuss right now. ”Enough.” The single word, near enough to a command, was spoke in a tone that Steve hadn’t used in… A year? Maybe more? It was the voice of Captain America, a man who expected people to listen to him, the voice of a leader, filled with the confidence people came to associate with and expect from Steve Rogers, and it was directed at both of the other men, not just one or the other. This was going too far. ”Tony, Arjay is a friend. I have fought beside him, he saved me the first day we met, and he gifted me a weapon. If I didn’t trust him, I wouldn’t have asked for his help.” His tone was softer as he spoke to his friends, calm and reasonable, and asking for calm and reason in return. And still very much the voice of Captain America, if no longer commanding. ”Arjay, Tony is one of my closest friends, I know he can be… Difficult to deal with at times, but he does have reason to mistrust magic. In our world, the magic we’ve witnessed has been used to devastate and control, not to heal and help. But Arjay is not Loki or Wanda, and Tony is not someone familiar with elves or your beliefs. So instead of throwing around insults and judgements, why don’t we sit down and talk about this like the reasonable men we are?”

Reaching to clasp a gentle hand around Tony’s arm, in a comforting rather than controlling or judgemental way, Steve shook his head even as he let go to let Tony back away, ”He doesn’t know, Tony. He doesn’t know you, he doesn’t know either of our histories. But I know that Arjay had the chance to do me in, with or without magic, and instead handed me a weapon.” He was so damn grateful for Friday’s interjection, ”You don’t even have to take my word for it, either. You have Friday’s assessment.” He relaxed when he heard that Tony’s injuries had been healed. Thank goodness. ”You’re better, Tony. That’s all anyone here wanted to happen.”

“That’s not going away anytime soon.”
Marvel-MCU-1

274 Posts
8 Threads
Job: Billionaire Superhero
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: yes
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 854
I am Iron Man
Sometimes you gotta run before you can walk.

Genius, billionaire, playboy philanthropist
How did he even respond to that?!

For his money better to live in ignorance the prolong the grief. Hell he- “I don’t hear appropriate ‘last words’ advice from the guy that crashed his plane because he was scared of a date!”

At another time Arjay calling Tony out would have gotten at the least a chuckle and head nod of acknowledgement of the hit; right now? Yeah not so much.

The reactor in his chest shimmered burnt golden orange, Tony stepped out of the armor. “I can understand anything.” That was what pulled him out enough to focus. The challenge.

A cart beeped between the elf and two humans; the piece of Tony’s skull suspended in a sterile container.

“Fine that happened.”

The orange shimmer died from his eyes, “look thanks?” He didn't sound thank ful. “Next time no hanky panky on the first date. Need to buy me dinner before you get hands on the goods.”

Dungeons and Dragons-Forgotten Realms

92 Posts
9 Threads
Job: Bard
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 264
All right. So they weren’t going to be best friends here. Arjay could deal with that, he hadn’t come here to make friends today, he’d come to heal someone. Someone who was very stubbornly sure of his personal abilities. He could understand anything. All right, they’d just go about that.

“You’re welcome,” Arjay answered. He didn’t sound very appreciated, but at least he wasn’t getting ready to attack. He had to wonder what a surge of lightning would do to that oh-so-secret device the man had implanted into himself. He wasn’t sure what ‘hanky panky’ meant, but his prodding into the writings of their world had told him what ‘dates’ were, so he could draw an educated conclusion. “And you’re not my type,” he said as he reached for the items on the tray. “When you become female, curvaceous, and… oh, let’s say red-haired, then come look for me. If you’re that interested, there are belts on my world that could do the job, I can look for one the next time I’m back there.” He wondered if anyone had ever intentionally looked for a belt of gender changing before, but he was sure that they had. If he could think of something involving sex, someone had probably done it.

He looked down at the piece of skull and what he assumed were medical implements next to it. In any event, they would do the job better than his dagger would, so he picked them up. “This spell cleans objects, on the off chance that your world contains something that my magic can’t purge from your body anyway,” he said, before a minor cantrip rendered the scalpel clean. Another cantrip was chanted off quietly, at which point Tony’s dressings started to get peeled away. “This one gives me another hand to work with,” he added, the mage hand holding dressings and any overhanging skin out of the way so that he could work. Once he was down to nothing but skin, bone, and brain, he gingerly picked up the piece of skull, studying it carefully for a moment so that he could tell which way it was supposed to go in before he set it back into the place it had been cut from.

“And now,” he said, “I’m flooding your body with extraplanar energy known to promote the growth of life and increased bodily functions to make your bone spontaneously knit and your skin seal back in place. If you’re feeling ill, it should be fought off momentarily as well.” He paused a moment. “Interesting energy, that. We rarely stop to think about what actually happens to people who travel to that particular dimension for too long, we just… cast the spells.” Was he being a jerk? Well, only a bit. He didn’t give anyone time to object before he cast Heal on Tony, the aforementioned energy again washing through him, more powerfully this time. For just that moment, the world would come into sharper focus as it eliminated even the minor, everyday obstructions to his senses, a situation that would quickly fade. “There. As good as new.” Well, except for his hair. He'd need another spell to do that, and... well, Arjay was a nice guy, but not that nice.
Marvel-MCU

231 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

When Worlds Collide

Tony’s jab was… Steve sighed and reached up to rub his face. Don’t get frustrated. Don’t get upset. It was basically a mantra that Steve repeated after what Tony had said. He knew that Tony was lashing out. He knew that Tony had to feel as though Arjay had attacked him. Hell, in Tony’s place, Steve likely would feel the same exact way. Arjay hadn’t asked, he hadn’t even warned, he’d just grabbed Tony (another no-no) and cast magic on him. So Tony was turning on Steve, because… Well, Steve had invited Arjay here, the elf was Steve’s friend, and Steve was right in front of Tony. Calmly, so very calmly, Steve told Tony, ”I didn’t crash the Valkyrie to avoid a date, Tony. I crashed the Valkyrie to keep the Tesseract out of Hydra’s hands.” Out of anyone’s hands, really. And Tony knew that.

There was something so wrong with Tony’s reactor. It had never looked like that before, not ever in all the time that Steve had known the genius, and yet here it was, glowing… Orange. Instead of it’s usual unique blue. That was more worrisome than he wanted anyone to know, and he looked at Tony, watching carefully as he tried to figure out if this was new, or something that Tony knew about or even expected. And what Steve saw in Tony’s eyes was… Scary. ”Tony?” Steve had never sounded as uncertain of himself as he did right now. Yes, he knew that Tony likely actually did believe that he could understand anything presented to him, and honestly, the chances that Tony would understand something that he was presented with, especially given some time to research and/or study it were damn good, but that wasn’t what he was questioning…

Just what had happened since he’d disappeared??

Steve’s eyes went to the ceiling, canting over till he found… There it was. A camera. Steve looked directly at the camera, eyes widened at first, then narrowing into what was a very clear, pointed question.

Friday’s intervention with the cart was… Not bad timing, really. And Tony seemed to accept what the AI was trying to tell him, what Steve was trying to tell him. Finally. Thank goodness.

And there was a… Well, it was an acknowledgement that Tony should be grateful, even if he really weren’t. It was better than nothing. Steve turned to give Arjay a tentative smile, ”So… Not too much of a scene…” Steve shrugged slightly, hey, it was more than he’d actually expected. And of course Tony had to choose that moment to snark and make it a sex joke.

Steve was just about to sigh and make a comment when Arjay snarked back at Tony.

Female, curvaceous, and red-haired. Steve knew someone like that. His eyes slid over to Tony, widened, and Steve made a quiet coughing-choking noise before he shook his head rapidly, ”You don’t want that. You really don’t, Arjay. She… She’d eat you alive, and I don’t mean in the fun way.”

When Arjay started to describe the spells he was using for Tony, Steve gave his friend a grateful smile. The elf really was full of patience, and Steve was glad that he had warned Arjay not to expect a happy, grateful, willing participant here today. Steve remained quietly next to Tony while Arjay did what he did, there for support (whatever kind of support Tony needed) and to make sure that Tony knew that should the elf try anything (which Steve didn’t believe would happen, but Tony obviously did) Steve would be there to intervene. He did make a note of Arjay’s comment about the dimension where his healing energy came from, and to ask the elf more about it later. He wondered if it worked similarly to how the serum did… But that was a conversation for another time.

Once Arjay was finished, Steve reached up and gave Tony’s shoulder a light pat followed by a carefully gentle squeeze of reassurance and affection, and then moved to offer his hand to the elf, ”Thank you for coming, Arjay. I never expected you to come today. I owe you one.”

Marvel-MCU-1

274 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Heard the tapes Rogers.” The half eyeroll made it clear that Tony disagreed, but also that he was willing to drop it.

...till next time.

Tony’s eyes snapped up catching Steve’s gaze, body tensing in reaction to the half question, half...was that fear in Cap’s voice? Tony had fought beside him enough, held the line beside him in enough last stands to know that Cap didn't get scared.

Not like that.

The fact that Steve only had eyes for Friday…

This was another secret his AI was keeping from him. Goodie.

“Awww Spock… words hurt. See me? Hurt by your words?” A belt that could turn him female? For a second Tony looked intrigued, not because he particularly wanted to try out a female body, no matter how good he looked in thigh high. More the scientist in him trying to figure out the mechanics of that. Some kind of energy transfer to kick start the second X chromosome?

Well he could feel his balls shriveling already just at the thought.

The. Of course Steve brought up Natasha; a half choke half snort that escaped him “On the other hand pretty sure you'd die with a smile...a terrified terrified smile.”

Annnd than. They were off again, this time slightly more prepared, and letting the Elf at least somewhat describe what he was doing (and that apparently his AI and Steve weren't going to let him say no) put Tony into scientific mode to deal. “Friday bring me up the quantum analysis as he...casts?” Tony side eye’d Arjay inviting correction of his verb. “Gimme a side by side comparison to the stuff Strange uses and the Infinity Stones.”

He'd had open heart surgery in a cave, getting his skull put back together in his living room shouldn't be that much worse.

Right?

Right.

The energy washed through him again, and more prepared this time Tony allowed himself to accept the..well the high. The urge to take a deep breath was cut short by the reawakened ache in his chest. With everything else feeling better the. Factory new the missing 30% lung capacity was highlighted.

“Ok that..” blinking Tony reached up to touch the healing portion of his head. “Gonnna go with something between creepy and cool.” All the aches, everything he lived with even before his swan dive from just being a guy in his 40s that hadn't exactly treated his body like a temple were..gone.

“Could make a killing bottling this.” Tony commented turning his attention to the displays. “Huh...looks like I could tap into that extraplanar energy source...FRIDAY, bring me up some models for channeling it through the reactor.”

Tony swiped away the holos letting them work in the background. “Right. So.” Bouncing on his toes Tony raised his eyebrows questioningly at Arjay. “Don't have any red heads on tap. But I know a place.” A little head jerk was as good as a shouted invitation.

92 Posts
9 Threads
Mike

Arjay gave Steve a patronizing look. “Steve, I’ve lived over two centuries. I’ve seen and seduced, or been seduced by, women of every description and temperament. So please, do trust that I’ve been ‘eaten alive’ more than once. Usually, I’ve quite enjoyed it. It’s always good to meet your match. Experience counts for quite a lot, you’ll find, I daresay I could teach her a thing or two before I was apparently doomed to die happy.” The elf looked positively cocky as he said it, and it was one of the many things that he was sure of. Oh, he had terrible luck with relationships, but he could seduce quite practically any woman he wanted (and some men, as he’d found, but hadn’t ever taken advantage of).

There was a part of him that bristled at the idea of someone tapping the healing energies through some other means, but he had to be honest about it: he himself was tapping them through means that weren’t quite the traditional priestly quality. Still, the fact that he could access that plane was interesting… Arjay would have to ask into that idea a bit later. “I know quite a few who do make a killing bottling that, in fact,” he finally answered. “Although that’s interesting. The energies of that plane are difficult to control, dangerous even, and generally require a higher consciousness to filter and manage them into useable forms. If you can truly access it, and this… Friday is helping you do so…” Arjay couldn’t help smirking. He didn’t quite have a perfect read on this man yet, but he was fairly sure this would at least be a poke at his sense of the world, “Then that would make you the priest of her, your god.” He let that one sink in a minute, then considered the offer. “You know a place that does have redheads on tap? Now that is something that, when bottled, could make a killing.”
Marvel-MCU-1

274 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“See things like this make me miss Widow.” Tony shuddered for dramatic effect, “Don’t tell her I said that.”

So they could ‘bottle’ it which meant there was a process to automate with out the need for physical intervention...that had promise..”Reallllyyyy.” Tony drew out the word, focused on the reports Friday was displaying for him. “Eh. I’ve got the equivalent of a decent sized nuclear reactor in my chest. Dangerous energies are what I do. “ Cocky? Yes yes he was. For damn good reasons.

Tony just snorted, brown eyes glinting with more amusement than ire; “Not the first time i’ve been accused of worshiping Tech.” Plus he didn’t believe in ‘God’ so really all he was saying was channelling energy through a third party, apparently he probably did it through some kind of extra planar being or focus and called that ‘God’.

“Well pretty sure she doesn’t have them exactly bottled, but definitely available by request.” Tony half shrugged turning his attention back to the two men. “How about we go for a drink and show. My treat as..thanks.” Tony waved to his head, “Bondy time Steve.” he added, including the quiet blonde.
Marvel-MCU

231 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

When Worlds Collide

The tapes. Steve's jaw set, but he said nothing about how that had been a personal conversation. Or how when he'd woken, he'd asked about Peggy only to get vague responses. Or about how he had apologized to her for all of it. It wasn't Tony's business. It was personal between him and Peggy, and he would not dignify Tony's shark with an answer. Not about this.

Steve hated keeping anything from Tony. He'd done that, and had learned his lesson well. Still... Friday was so certain... But no. While Steve held his tongue in front of Arjay, knowing this was too personal for Tony to discuss in front of the elf, he was done holding back from Tony.

The discussion about the belt... Steve arched a brow, but didn't insert himself into the conversation about it.

He couldn't help but to comment about Natasha, though. Arjay’s words earned an amused look from Steve, “She's... Unique. It's not her temperament so much as her… She's just one of a kind.” He smiled to Tony with amusement. "I won't. But I miss her, too.” He shook his head, "she's a good friend." Even when she didn’t agree with you.

That Tony wasn't just refusing to let Arjay heal him was a relief. Honestly, after the first spell. Steve hadn't expected Tony to let the elf finish. And he hadn't really expected Arjay to intend to. Even while Arjay cast, and Tony analyzed, they conversed, and while Steve wouldn't call the situation relaxed, it was a whole hell of a lot better than it had been. He almost felt like he could breathe easier. He had a lot he was still worried about, but at least orange glow had died down, which made it easier to pretend to be relaxed, to keep his posture easy, his muscles from bunching. Easier to look less taught, less stretched to his limit.

Tony's easy words earned a smile from Steve. The biggest concern the super soldier had had was that the magic would feel off. or even hurt. Apparently, neither concern was necessary. "I didn't know you could do that with... Magic.” Magic in a bottle? Would Tony be more receptive to something like that rather than a direct spell?

Worshipping tech. "Especially your own." It felt good, to make, however tentative, with Tony. The invitation was... Steve shrugged, looking just a bit uncomfortable. Bondy time. He had to admit he liked the general idea, but not really the specific activity. Movie nights and team dinners were more Steve's speed...

92 Posts
9 Threads
Mike

Well, this was going a bit better than Arjay had expected it to end up. Apparently, Tony and Arjay had one common interest: Women. It was, admittedly, a good common interest to build upon, as Arjay had often discovered in the past. Some things, it would seem, spanned disparate realities, and the beauty that was females was one of them.

“Well yes, you can bottle it,” Arjay said. “I’ve read enough to know that your people even know of potions, this shouldn’t be that surprising. Those of us who study magic have to be able to find ways to make a living, after all, and not all of us have unrelated business skills to lean on.” Not that Arjay had been much of a merchant, but he’d managed to find all sorts of business opportunities to exploit, as seen in his current state of occupation in the hub. The Moon didn’t thrive just because it was well funded, after all.

“Women are better when not in bottles,” Arjay agreed. “So I’ll admit that that is one innovation best not made. So, yes, let’s… bond. There will be enough women to go around, I assume? Or will we need to share? I’m not particularly opposed, but I don’t really know you that well.”
Marvel-MCU-1

274 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Good great! Should be a car or twenty in the garage, Friday hold my calls.” He quipped. “Manly bonding time.” Tony lead the way to the basement elevator. “You know Steve used to be a dancing girl? True story.” Tony had somewhere acquired a dark leather jacket, swinging it around his shoulders. “What about you Arjay. Any talents in that direction?” The Maserati was where he left it, Tony nodded to the pair to take seats in the small sports car. “Your bike is over there if you wanna.” Tony nodded to the heavily modified Harley. It was an offer, Tony just thought Steve would be more comfortable in control.

“And as cute as you are...not my type.” Tony smirked at Arjay, gunning the engine. To the Green Goddess, thankfully he knew the owner.
Marvel-MCU

231 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

“Language!”

‘Manly bonding time.’ No, really, this was great, this was actually what Steve had wanted. Sort of. Okay, not exactly; he had hoped that Tony would explain phones or tablets or something to Arjay, but this was so much better than them fighting, so Steve would take this. He was far, far away from his comfort zone, but… ”I sold bonds during the war, Tony. The girls danced, I didn’t dance.” He wasn’t even going to touch the whole ‘not a woman’ part, because he was fairly certain that that was what Tony wanted.

What was interesting was that Arjay’s magical healing could be bottled. ”Not everything in our stories is true, I’d think, though.” Steve eyed Tony, ”Might be worth it to check out and see if anyone sells those sorts of things here. In case you don’t happen to be around in the future.” Because Tony was human, and he did get hurt more often than… It was his fault, Tony took risks he shouldn’t… But it would be nice to have something. Just in case, for when the man did something foolish. Again. Because Steve didn’t hold out much hope that it wouldn’t happen.

The smile that bloomed on Steve’s face when he saw his bike… It had been a long, long time since he’d ridden that bike, and he missed it. It was less the control, or any discomfort he felt at the idea of riding with the others in the cramped sports car as much as it was the rush of happy excitement he felt that had him veer toward the motorcycle. ”Thank you, Tony.” If his voice was just a little thicker than it had been? Well, Tony’s offer was thoughtful. He ran his fingers along the handlebar, a silent greeting to the vehicle akin to saying he’d missed it, before he settled onto the seat and started the bike, revving the engine before he followed Tony and Arjay out, staying close to the car as they made their way to the Green Goddess.

92 Posts
9 Threads
Mike

Arjay cocked an eyebrow at Steve. “Why didn’t you dance? Women love a man who can dance. Do men not dance on your world?” There was something about the way that Tony had been ribbing Steve that made him wonder about it. Among his people, on the other hand? “Oh, of course I can dance. An elf who can’t dance is a sad sight. If you can’t dance, you find a reason to hide it.” He shot a smile that could only be described as crafty. “But as I said… the women love it, so why would I want to not do it?”

He watched in mild amusement as Steve mounted his strange, noisy metal horse, getting into the car with Tony but still watching the operation of Steve’s vehicle. It was… interesting, he supposed. It seemed much more precarious than the normal conveyances that they saw on the streets here, Arjay thought he would probably prefer a normal horse, but then… he supposed that he’d never tried one of those things before. There might be some advantage that he didn’t know about.

“Now there’s something that I’ve hardly ever heard from anyone with any sense. Then again, I suppose if you were a woman, I’d be making an actual effort to win you over,” Arjay joked, turning his attention to where they were going. Once they arrived… “Well,” Arjay said, studying the building a moment. He muttered a spell, allowing him to comprehend the languages on the signs there. “This place is certainly… straightforward.”