Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: 616 Tony StarkRough Landing Tag Bes
Marvel-616

375 Posts
15 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 562
"I'm sorry," Tony said softly. It was obvious that Bes had come to terms with what had happened, but no one, not even a God, could come out of something like that unscathed. He only nodded at Bes's description of how far things had come. It was obvious to see that people had adapted, had survived--as people always did and would.

He took the crutches, hopping forward experimentally and biting his lip as the his leg throbbed harder. Riding had probably been a bad idea. Being on his feet for another however many hours it would take to do this would probably be a bad idea too. He suppressed a grimace as he followed Bes's lead toward the smithies. He'd deal with the consequences later.

"So, what are we talking in terms of trade, here?" he asked. "Rare has to mean expensive, and I'm guessing these people don't take cards."

@kel
OC-OC

64 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Besides as maybe something to make jewelry from?” He grinned, “no not really.” They’d talked briefly about what Tony could barter, most of that being knowledge, Bes had explained that while he could make the introductions, he could even offer a small amount of his own services if needed the majority of the bargaining would be on the billionaire to manage.

Waving the other man the forward, Bes kept a hand ready to catch him if he faltered over the high lintel; the building clearly was a converted warehouse that had its original steel automatic loading doors replaced by wood, the whole space was filled with vendors, the stalls offered mostly handworked goods, metalwork seeming to be the main attraction; the workshops were divided into two sections, each with a ‘front’ facing public area where already completed goods were displayed and the ‘back’ which was where the heat billowing furnaces churned out new product.

It was clear that there were only three main forges, separated by temperature and therefore the materials being used, and all the craftspeople gathered around them plying their trade- from silversmiths to crude efforts at damascus steel and primitive electrolysis.

@starkly
Marvel-616

375 Posts
15 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony tried not to stare, for about ten seconds, before giving up and looking in every direction with wonder. It never ceased to amaze him what people could do, given the raw materials and a little time. The scale of this market, though, was something else.

As hard as the past few months had been, it settled something in him to see it. Human ingenuity, human progress, even in the face of insurmountable odds. Things always worked out. Eventually.

"This is exactly what I needed," Tony said to Bes, who was hovering nearby, looking very concerned, presumably that Tony was going to take a wrong step and faceplant on the old warehouse floor in front of all his metalworking friends.

... Which wasn't entirely out of the question, at this point.

Determined not to let that stop him, Tony crutched toward the nearest throng of vendors. As he did, he said to Bes, "Anywhere you recommend I start? Or should I just give 'em the old Stark charm and hope for the best?"

@kel
OC-OC

64 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Somehow Bes knew that this was exactly what Tony needed on many levels.

“I suggest you start with Sara Browning. She’s a bit mad.” He winked gesturing to a extraordinarily short and broad woman; wide from her work as her well muscled arms showed and as for the short…

“Bes!” The Lady in question was not who called out his name, a pre-teen of indeterminate gender under a thick leather apron, short blonde hair under a wet cloth to combat the heat waved as they approached “Finally give in an let ma design that new pump system?”

At the stall now Tony would see the woman at the forge was hammering out a glowing shard of metal...was missing both her legs above the knee, gun metal grey hair tried back behind her head, thick dark glass goggles protected her sight and the foreshortened wheel chair she worked from reacted to her shifting weight unlocking with out her needing to be touched to move back to the furnace.

@starkly
Marvel-616

375 Posts
15 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"I like mad." Tony cocked a grin, watching the woman Bes had pointed out. Her technique was impressive, wheelchair aside. Better than his had been, undoubtedly, the last time he'd had to hammer out anything by hand (not that that really bored thinking about).

He turned to the kid, bemused, as he or she came up to pester Bes about a pump system.

"Friend of yours?" He quipped to Bes, then said to the kid directly, "Who's your ma, kid?"

@kel
OC-OC

64 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Nes.” He returned the greeting, waving at them, “and actually Tony here was working on it for me in exchange for room and board.” At the raised eyebrows he sighed “Don’t start with me about hospitality rules, he demanded it.”

Nes chuckled their tongue at both men, throwing a thumb at the woman behind them. “Now What can we do for you?” They moved the half of a jointed plate to the side.

@starkly
Marvel-616

375 Posts
15 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"You're with her?" Tony asked the kid curiously. "She does nice work. I can see it from here." He started crutching closer toward the table where the woman--Sara Browning--was working, assuming the kid and Bes would follow. As he did he said, "I'm in need of some quality metalwork. Some large-scale, some finer. I take it you'll tell me I've come to the right place?"

@kel
OC-OC

64 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Bes wondered at that Stark charm.

His eyebrows raising behind Tony’s back as he half dismissed Nes, well this was going to be interesting to watch now wasn’t it?

It was the god Bes that chuckled at as the paths of fate flitted around Tony and the other metal workers here, tangling and separating, all potential and ripe for change.

“Depends if you can shut it long enough for me to finish this.” came a voice harsh with a lifetime of breathing in smoke and furnace fumes, Sarah was handing off the current piece to her assistant moving directly back to the furnace as a new crucible required her attention, carefully mixing out the additives to strengthen the delicate balance that would make medium quality steel.

“Yeah see, normally folk deal with me while ma does the work.” the half grown pre-teen crossed their arms not bothering to hide the bruised ego in their tone.

@starkly
Marvel-616

375 Posts
15 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"If I can shut it?" Tony echoed, barking a surprised, but genuinely amused, laugh. As one of the most famous faces in big business (or anywhere), it was rare to get a piece of anyone's mind so result. "Well, ma'am, there's a question."

He turned back to the kid, his brow furrowing at the hurt in the kid's tone. "You're young for this kind of work," he observed, his tone neutral. If not for the crutches, he might've knelt down to get closer to the kid's level, but as it was he had to make do with a soft, contrite expression. "So tell me. What is it you and your ma are in the market for?"

@kel
OC-OC

64 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Bes really did enjoy being a god that could laugh, hiding his mirth behind a sleave as tony was forced to deal with a precocious not yet teenager, Nes was a dear and Bes wasn’t about to save either of them from the pleasure of knowing the other.

“Learnin’ don’t have an age.” was the whip quick retort, Nes might not have the muscles of their mother yet, but that was all about growin’ till than Nes was in charge of the bargaining and bartering. “Depends on what you are sellin’” Nes sniffed dismissively. “Ma’s always in the market for Old world tech, nothing digital though, but any plans from the industrial era, looking for hydroelectric generators most.” Nes added not expecting the stranger to produce such precious plans.

@starkly