Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: 616 Tony StarkThis Isn't Awkward At All
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 435
Tony stared blankly at Steve for a few seconds. Of all the things... well, he hadn't expected that. He was used to disagreeing with Steve. Arguing. Fighting it out, with fists or weapons or armies of superheroes if need be. But he couldn't remember a single time in the decade they'd known each other that Steve had simply given him... Nothing. He just hadn't seen it coming.

Some futurist he was.

He blinked back a wave of frustrated emotion and flattened his expression into one that was as neutral as Steve's. "That's it. No lecture?" He scoffed, because it was always easier to hide the pain that way. "No righteous indignation?" He stepped closer, wanting a reaction. Any reaction. A swing at him, even. The nothing was more than he could handle, proof that even though this young Steve lived everything he'd had with his Steve was truly gone. "Come on, Cap. You've got more to say. Say it."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

All Accounts Posts: 301
"A lecture? About what? I can't make you care about me more by lecturing you into it." Steve says and laughs bitterly.

The stress of planning Bucky's rescue and the frustration at all the lies finally overflows. Steve knows he should just shut up, but he can't.

"I'm risking everything I have to rescue Bucky and despite going on about how much you love me, you aren't willing to do the same. Well fine, that's your choice. I can't make you care about me the way I want you too. Now you just have to live with your choice." Steve snaps.
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Well... it seemed Tony had misunderstood Steve's problem with what he'd said. He wanted to laugh, the hysterical urge building in his throat at he looked at Steve, though he didn't dare let it out--because the idea that he didn't love Steve enough was so patently ridiculous that of course it was the one thing Steve would take issue with.

But of course that wasn't all, because how could it be? Steve was going to rescue Bucky, because of course he fucking was.

"Steve, I love you," he said, the words choked because he'd never gotten a chance to say them to the only version of Steve who could possibly understand. The desire to laugh was quickly morphing into a desire to cry and he tamped down on both of them. "I love you, more than anything, but there is a such thing as an obligation to the world, when you do what we do... How could go back? Do you have any idea what you're risking?"

The words came out sounding more accusatory than he'd meant them to, but the question was real. And as much as Tony hated it, that he had to spoil the first chance he'd ever had at--this--he couldn't help himself. This was why they'd always butted heads, why Steve had died thinking Tony an unfeeling traitor to everything they'd ever worked toward.
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

"I'm sorry Mr. Stark. I really wish you had gotten a chance to say that to the other me. I think he would have liked to hear it," Steve says. It's tragic, but there's really nothing Steve can say that will help Mr. Stark. Even if he tells him he loves him, and he's not sure if he can honestly say that right now, it wouldn't really help. Some part of Mr. Stark would always be pining over the original Steve Rogers he failed to save.

"I do understand the risks Mr. Stark, but I'm still going. I never leave a man behind and I owe Bucky this." Steve says, "and if you're going to try to change my mind, you should probably save your breath."
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"I'm not going to try to change your mind," Tony said after a moment. He'd planned to argue. Felt like he had to at least try. But hearing what Steve had said about the older him, it was like something inside Tony had deflated. This Steve was as determined as the older one, and Tony was tired of fighting.

He would have liked to hear it.

He sunk back against the elevator wall, slipping slowly down until he was sitting on the floor with his knees pulled up to his chest, then dropped his head in his hands. He felt wrung out and far older than he had any right to. Normally, he'd have avoided any show of weakness like this, but what was the point? Steve had seen it all. This one would too, probably, given some time.

Or maybe he never would. That was the problem with time travel, after all. He wanted a drink.

"There's a lot I should have told him," he intoned to the patterned carpet. "I'm sorry, Steve. I shouldn't have--any of it. I'm sorry."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve watches Mr. Stark slide to the floor, looking more defeated than Steve would have thought possible. The fact that Mr. Stark doesn't even seem to care about showing weakness in front of him makes Steve's stomach clench uncomfortably.

He slides down the wall across from Mr. Stark.

"You don't have to apologize Mr. Stark. It isn't your fault. It's just a messed up situation that we're in," Steve says. He hesitates then adds, "I don't think your Steve Rogers would be angry at you either."
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony looked up, surprised, as Steve joined him on the floor. He hadn't expected that.

Steve's words made him laugh, though, a sharp humorous bark. It really went to show how much Steve had changed, or how much his opinion of Tony had changed, if he couldn't imagine his older self angry at him.

"He was furious with me," Tony said to the floor after a moment. "Before he died. That's why this is so..." He trailed off, took a breath and said instead, "it doesn't matter. Just--stop telling me what he would have said. You want me to see you as someone else, well, act like it."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Mr. Stark gives a sharp short bark of laughter that sounds nothing like his normal laugh.

Steve considers Mr. Stark's words. As much as he would like to continue defending his future self, Mr. Stark is right; if he wants to be treated as a different man than him he has to stop speaking for him. That man is dead and it's tragic, but none of Steve's business. Steve is going to live his own life, separate from Captain America or any other Steve Rogers past or present.

"Okay Mr. Stark. Let's start over then." Steve says. He holds out his hand, "I'm Steve Rogers, nice to meet you."
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Steve held out his hand, introducing himself with a smile in way that was just so...Steve it hurt.

Tony looked down at his hand, then back up at his young, unlined face. It was easy for Steve to start over. He'd barely known Tony for a year. But Tony felt frozen, unable to let go of the past ten years. Unable to let go of the chance to have Steve, any version of him, in his life again. But they'd tried this already, hadn't they? They'd tried and Tony hadn't been able to handle it. He couldn't.

"I'm sorry," he said roughly, shaking his head. "I can't--I can't deal with this right now. I can't forget. I just can't." His ears were ringing. He didn't want to lose Steve again. What he needed was time. A glass of scotch. To be anywhere else.

He stood abruptly. "You know what? I've had it with this elevator. I'm climbing out and calling my armor. Do what you want."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

The smile slips off Steve's face as Mr. Stark just stares at him and his outstretched hand. Then Mr. Stark is shaking his head.

He stands up abruptly and Steve watches with hurt and confusion on his face. He had thought this was a good compromise; Mr. Stark got some version of his friend back and Steve got treated as a person and not as a walking memory. But apparently compromising is not one of Mr. Stark's strong suits.

"If that's what you want to do," Steve says coldly, "I think I'll just stay here a bit longer."