Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: Kailani MahelonaKai Equips Cake of Gratitude
Marvel-MCU-1

90 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Stark Tech/Superhero
Ship Status: KAKE
Sexual Orientation: Sexual Orientation is Yes.
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 750
Kai had spent more time over the past two days baking than was really wise- but even knowing that she ought to muster for the star sapphires, actually do her new job, she was missing home, and making a haupia cake brought her back to the luaus she used to have with her family. She had already made more haupia than she and her sister could reasonably consume in the period of time they had that it would be good for.

So instead, the inhuman had started turning the excess into thank you desserts. And then she had started branching out to a whole pile of pineapple and coconut but otherwise completely unrelated desserts. By the time she had finished, she wasn't even pretending to try and use up more of the haupia anymore. Blowing her hair out of her face, she carried one of the earlier desserts with her towards a place that was more than a little familiar. The small not Tony Stark had seemed to her like a cake person- and she hoped that she was right, or otherwise the unnecessarily pink fluffy thing she was carrying may not be received well.

Finally she reached the door she was looking for- for once grateful that she could navigate Stark's security system. She had patched variants enough times. Besides all she had to do was flash her S.I. badge and the A.I. was letting her go where she pleased so long as there was nothing private or sensitive inside. Without thinking, she went to kick the door before Kai remembered that whoops that might break the fixture in question.

It was strange to see how becoming a seventh stronger had made it so much harder to judge the strength she needed to use again. Instead, her ring glowed pink before a small matching hand knocked softly on the door. When it opened, she smiled. "Hi, I'm Kai. I wanted to thank you for your assistance in rescuing me the other day- and I may have gone a little dessert crazy. I hope you like coconut, and cake."
DC-DCTVU-1

448 Posts
20 Threads
Job: PA/Magician
Ship Status: Single with Complications
Sexual Orientation: Pan-Romantic
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,348
It had been a very, very strange week. On retrospect, it was unique, to realize that the person you’d been pining over (yes, pining, he had to admit what it was even if he hated the way it made feel to acknowledge it) loved you back. It was even less normal, and perhaps not very helpful to your mental state to also realize that even if you both loved each other, things weren’t going to change from how they were.

And he couldn’t even claim it was someone else in the way. No, Safi might love him, but he didn’t want to be with him. And that was that.

So. Strange week. Chris had stretched his magical muscles on the rescue mission to save his sister. A mission that had, in some respects, been an amazing success, and in other ways had been a complete failure. They had freed the captive ladies from their shackles, but Belle wasn’t home. Worse than that, Christian had no way of knowing where Belle was, or if she was okay, or when she might return, if at all.

He was worried sick. Enough that he had begun to read everything he could find on spells and rituals that were meant to locate a person, or discern their health. He prayed each and every night (To Gabriel, always starting out by telling the angel that he hoped that Gabriel was having a nice evening and that he was sorry if he was bothering him, but this was important because Belle could be in danger, or in trouble or even hurt!) and then, once he had prayed, he healed Belle’s doll and sent her as much extra energy as he could to make sure that if nothing else, she made it through the night. He did the same in the morning when he could, too. In short Christian was doing everything in his power to help his sister, wherever she was, whatever she was doing.

The knock on the door had him standing up abruptly and heading to answer it, blinking at the young woman who stood on the other side. Oh, he recognized her; she was one of the ladies who had been taken and subsequently found and rescued on that terrible, dying world. “Um, hi.” Coconut and cake? Chris blinked, head tilting slightly as he looked at her, “I…” Offering Kai a small smile, he shrugged, “Would you like to come in? You didn’t have to bring anything. I mean, not that I’m going to turn down a perfectly good cake...as long as it’s not covered in fondant...but you didn’t really need to. I was happy to be able to help.” He flushed just slightly, averting his eyes, “I mostly went because my sister was taken… Belle? I’m sorry.”
Marvel-MCU-1

90 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai smiled easily at the other man- who seemed rather confused by her presence. She nodded her gratitude as she came in with her cake box, finding a table to set it on and swing open the lid. "Hope you don't mind pink." She said with a laugh as the fluffy confection came into view. "But I can guarantee there is no fondant on it. Fondant is for people who want to ruin the flavour of their cake with a layer of pure sugar." Kai replied, her nose wrinkling at the thought.

"No this is a Haupia cake- a sort of Hawaiian Coconut Montblanc- and the cake part is pretty self explanatory." She explained with a smile and a nod at the item in question. "And I figured you had your own reasons for helping- but it doesn't change that you did, and I appreciate that."

Standing awkwardly, uncertain what to do now that she had unloaded her delivery, Kai shuffled slightly on the spot. "So. Um. Thank you. And I know I didn't need to bring anything but I just started baking... And well. Things went downhill from there and if I don't give the goodies away, my sister is going to stop eating anything healthy- and despite her protesting, she is still growing and who even knows what nutrients a ghost needs but I don't think a lack of bones should really stop concerns about calcium especially if you can have bones if you want and-"

Kai stopped herself abruptly, taking a deep breath and forcing her smile to return. "Sorry, I tend to ramble. Anyways. Needed to get the baked goods out of my house, so two birds, one stone. I was also really glad to see you come for your sister since she didn't seem to think anyone would come for her."
DC-DCTVU-1

448 Posts
20 Threads
Nyte

Well yeah, Christian was confused to see Kai here. Holding a cake box. Looking rather chipper, if he did say so himself, which he didn’t, actually say. Still, most of the time he met people...elsewhere. Not here. Not at Tony’s mansion. Meeting up at the Wandering Moon or the Green Goddess, or at any of the many other places where people could meet on ‘neutral’ ground. Someone coming to see him here was… Unheard of.

Well, unless they lived here.

Kai’s words about fondant earned her a giant, warm smile from the man and he actually leaned in and hugged her, “You,” he told her fondly, “Are great. Please, come in.” Anyone who disliked fondant was a friend of Christian’s. He loathed the stuff; it ruined a good cake. He grinned when she explained Haupia, nodding, “I know what it is. I’ve never had it, but I know about it.” The idea of trying it made him hungry; there was never too much cake, and he was never too full for cake. Or pie. Especially if Belle had made the pie… “I mean… Don’t get me wrong, I felt badly for you and Ms. Romanov for getting, um, taken. But…” he shrugged a little bit, “Belle’s my family.” And he would never have been able to walk away without doing everything in his power to help free her.

She really hadn’t needed to bring anything. She hadn’t needed to even say thank you. Christian had been happy to see their little rescue group be able to free all three of the women who had disappeared after drawing from the deck. But he also understood making too much food and needed to get the extra to someone else who could eat it, too. How many times had he snuck into Tony’s kitchen here in Hub to cook for him and Steve and Wanda because he knew that at least here the food would get eaten? (Too many times, always in the middle of the night, and he always made enough food to feed an army. Or Steve.)

Motioning toward a chair, Chris invited Kai to sit, “Please, sit down. We could have a piece of this, if you’d like, or since you’ve said you have too many sweets at home, we could have a cup of tea or coffee and just talk?” He wasn’t eager to go back to being alone, and a new person was definitely welcome to stay and chat for a while…

The mention of Belle thinking that Christian wouldn’t come for her, though… That earned Kai a blink and a very, very hurt look. Of course Chris would follow after Belle to bring her back to safety. Why would she think otherwise at all?? “She… She said that? That she didn’t think I’d come for her?” How could Belle not know he’d come? That he would move heaven and earth to get to her, to make sure she got home? “Was that why she didn’t come home?” His voice nearly broke on the last word, but he managed to choke it out nonetheless.
Marvel-MCU-1

90 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai laughed at the hug, even though her arms were tied up with holding the cake- she still offered him a stone armed hug, taking caution not to squeeze too tightly. His explanation made her smile as well, and she couldn't help the chuckle she let out. "It's certainly alright Chris. I have two sisters- I would move the world for them. I expected you'd feel the same way." She snorted with a thought as she followed him in. "Hell, I'm sort of maybe the legal guardian for one of them because of reasons- and I swear I spend all of my not otherwise occupied time worried about her. I'm so terrified that I don't do well enough- Ancestors it's nerve wracking, and that's when I know that she isn't in danger."

She shook her head lightly to force her mind free of the worries it was falling into. Kai took the offered seat with a thankful nod of her head. "Oh I may not have wanted my sister to have any more, but I am all for a slice of Cake. Especially if said cake comes with a cup of coffee and good company." She replied with a wicked grin- the real part she was wanting was coffee, but lately she had the strangest fondness for cake. Like it meant something more or something about as ridiculous as that.

Kai waved her hands in defense as she stumbled over her words to correct herself. "No no no! I just think she may have just forgotten how useful you were in a fight, and also maybe didn't know that you knew she was in trouble? I mean of all three of us, I was the only one who was confident that someone was coming to rescue us, and that's because my maybe sort of boyfriend came to the shop to draw cards with me. The other two went alone." She did wrinkle her nose slightly in answer to the question. "Honestly- I don't really know. I was more than a little passed out when I was brought back- I was having a hard time standing on my own. Once I was confident that Jake was okay, I kind of stopped recognizing what was going on?"

Kai grinned comfortingly. "But if it makes you feel better, the short period of time in which I've met your sister, she held her own courage wise with two people who willingly face death often? So I'm sure she can handle whatever she gets herself into."
DC-DCTVU-1

448 Posts
20 Threads
Nyte

Once Kai had returned his hug. Chris drew back, offering quietly to take the pastry from her. It wasn't that he wouldn't have gone along with the rescue group to get the women who had disappeared if his sister hadn't been among them, but he knew that the truth was that he had gone to rescue those women with rescuing Belle as his driving motivation. "Belle... Is my whole family." He didn't have anyone else. Safi came the closest, but Chris didn't feel familial about the other man. "But we're the same age, so..."

Giving Kai a grin, Chris pulled out two plates from the cabinet, two forks, and a large knife to cut the cake with, bringing them all to the table. Then it was just a matter of cutting and serving them each apiece. when Kai mentioned coffee, Chris nodded and bounced over to the counter, setting the machine to make a cup for her, and once it finished he made a similar cup for himself. Cake and coffee. "Good idea. l might not have considered coffee. Just a glass of milk. Coffee is a better idea, though."

Belle had forgotten how useful he was in a fight? Christian blinked at Kai, "I'm not useful in a fight. After, maybe. I can help sometimes, depending on the situation." His voice trailed off slightly, "I'm not useful like Safi or Belle are, though."
Marvel-MCU-1

90 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai's smile softened at the tone the man took, her mind going back to easy days on the beach with her family. "Diane isn't my whole family... But at the same time, she's all I can have." Kai started vaguely, before realizing how strange that would sound and hurrying to explain. "I don't know what you know about inhumans, but we're awoken to our abilities through chemical exposure. Diane and I were both transformed- and like anything new and different, we were targeted for it. So, we're all we've got- we can never go back to our family, or else they'll be hunted by association." She offered quietly, surprised with how immediately comfortable she felt with talking to this man. Offering a slightly brighter grin as her pohaku turned to stone spikes along her arms, she added a following comment. "At least Diane and I can defend ourselves."

Kai took the coffee immediately, setting down the forkful of cake she had been about to eat. She hummed in pleasure with the warmth of the cup, and the fragrance wafting from it. "Coffee is always my preferred drink." She mumbled around a sip of the somewhat scalding liquid. Of course, she was four times as resistant to the heat, so she didn't really care, but it did make it harder to taste.

She did nearly drop her drink as she started laughing however, setting it down with more force than necessary. She covered her mouth to try and muffle the giggles, shaking her head. "You and I are remembering that fight very differently. I don't remember much of it, save for you magically lifting the asshole up like a doll into the air, my maybe boyfriend going all fear monster, and your sister summoning an army of ghosts. I'd argue that you were pretty damn useful in that fight."
DC-DCTVU-1

448 Posts
20 Threads
Nyte

Chris had no easy days with family. Growing up, every day had been hard. The only family Chris had had was Belle, and once she had been adopted, he'd been alone in the group home. Life had only gotten harder after that. But Chris had little true regret; he had received a good education, always had enough (mostly to eat, and had a bed to sleep in. He'd been warm in the waited, and kept cool enough in the summer. When Kai spoke of Inhuman s. Chris started to shake his head before he blinked," You mean like Black bolt and Lockjaw?" He didn't know very much, but... Hunted? Wow. "That sucks." It wasn’t enough, and his face showed that he knew it wasn’t enough. He nodded slowly when she spoke of defending herself; Chris could defend himself, and he had come around to using his shield spell, even if he didn’t like it, but… “I’m glad.” As much of a pacifist as Chris was, he was glad that Kai and her sister were able to defend themselves. That was good.

Coffee was like life’s blood. It kept you going, made you feel better, and it was warm. Hot. “Well, coffee doesn’t go with everything, but with most it does just fine.” He grinned, settling into the chair next to her, turning it slightly at an angle so he could speak with her more comfortably while still having access to the table to eat the cake and reach his coffee.

Kai’s laughter earned a blink and then a blush from Chris, who turned his eyes down to his plate, toying with the fork in his hands as he waited for Kai to stop laughing. At him. There weren’t a whole lot of things that Chris truly resented, but being laughed at was definitely chief among them. Whatever dark thoughts and dire mood that might have overcome him cleared away immediately when she spoke again, though. She thought he’d been useful? “Well, it wasn’t a powerful spell… Just a trick of magnetic poles… It didn’t hurt him or anything…” Because Christian didn’t hurt people. Not if he could help it. “Belle’s army of ghosts was a lot better than my trick.” He shook his head, “One day, when she comes back, I’m going to have to ask her how she did that… That was… Awesome.”
Marvel-MCU-1

90 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai was thinking wistfully of days spent sneaking out of hula practice to ride the waves- when Chris responded to her comment. Her eyebrows shot up in surprise for a moment before she nodded. "Yeah. Don't know how you know the inhuman royal family- but yes. Same- Er. Sort of same species. I'm the descendant of some inhuman who left Attilan and had a child with a normal human. So- a mutt for lack of a better description."

She gave him a soft smile and patted his hand, grateful for the sympathy. "People are afraid of what they don't understand. One day this will all be history, and the inhumans will have their place amongst regular people. I just have to make it until then." She offered patiently. Kai was kind of used to it- her parents had been accepting, but there were always people who saw her with another girl and made judgements. Or folks in New York who heard her name and assumed they understood what that meant about her. This was just another storm to weather- and if it put only her in danger, she'd be at the forefront of it, waging a war through peaceful protest.

But that wasn't the case so she was in the hub between realities instead. Focusing on the next comment in order to brighten the room again, Kai gasped with mock offence. "How dare you Blaspheme in such a manner!" She cried, a hand clutched to her chest as though warding away evil.

Before the expression cracked from her face and she returned to smiling. "But yes I'm aware Coffee isn't an always drink. Just an often drink." Kai quipped, sipping at her aforementioned liquid.

Kai shook her head in awe. "If that's just a trick of magnetic poles, I'd pay good money to see what you consider serious magic. What it was- was awesome. To the point that I remember it even though I was halfway to passed out by the end of the battle." Smiling at Chris, her clothes melted into a violet bikini top and shorts, at which point she crossed her legs and floated slightly above her seat without thought. "You don't need to hurt someone to help. There are plenty of holds that you can use to incapacitate without doing damage. I'll teach you what I can if you'd like."

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

448 Posts
20 Threads
Nyte

The grin that Christian gave Kai was a genuine show of pleasure; it was nice to be right about things, even if it was something small. “In my world, the Inhumans, Avengers, X-Men… They’re comic books.” He gave a small shrug, “I read a lot of them… As a kid…” And an adult, but he wasn’t going to admit that so immediately. He shook his head at Kai’s description of her heritage, “Not a mutt so much as possessing a rich genetic heritage.” It wasn’t sucking up; Chris actually sounded just a little bit wistful. Side effect of being an orphan since before he could remember much.

Truth be told, Kai said that ‘one day’ it would all be history, that Inhumans would be able to live among regular people, but Christian’s own personal experience said that people who were different, even in mundane ways, were treated poorly. People who had very large differences? People who had powers and abilities that other people didn’t? Who maybe knew magic? They were treated even worse. As for sexual preferences… Well, Christian didn’t judge, but plenty of people did. Then again, the whole ‘being with another’ anything thing wasn’t really much of a problem. It wasn’t like he had anyone to be with anywhere.

A cloud of something unhappy, dark, and unwelcome crossed his face, his eyes focusing on the coffee that he’d brought over. It was something to do with his hands and eyes, at least… But it disappeared as he forced it away, shoving the unkind thoughts from his mind. A confession of love didn’t change anything in the end. It apparently took more than love to make a change, at least where Chris was involved.

The statement, even as obviously jesting as it was, earned a surprised blink from Chris. Darker, angry thoughts might have been pushed aside, but it still affected him no matter what he would have liked to claim otherwise. “I’m sorry?” She continued on to agree with him and he gave her a small, unsure smile, “Yes. Often is very true.”

It wasn’t all that often that Chris received a compliment, especially a large one that was about his magic. “I’m… Not sure about awesome,” Safi hadn’t even blinked at it… It hadn’t been enough. He sighed, slumping in his chair. Some girl who knew nothing about magic thought it was cool. And that was pretty great, truth be told, but Kai wasn’t Safi. He did perk up visibly when she mentioned that she might be able to teach him how to fight (holds she called them) without hurting someone. That… That could work! “You really wouldn’t mind?”
Marvel-MCU-1

90 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai tossed her hair back with a laugh at the compliment. "It's weird as hell to think of my world as a comic- but that does explain a lot. As for rich genetic heritage-" She winked at him. "I am daughter of the tribe's chief- so very much so. It's mostly a ceremonial title- but I'm still very proud." Her smile did weaken slightly. "Though I likely won't be able to assume the mantle." She offered under her breath. It still made her sad to know that she would likely never again have a place with her people- though she was glad her parents had three daughters, because it meant that even with Kai and Diane in the hub, there would still be someone to be the next chief.

She was used to her position in life- and she did see the look on Chris's face. Patting him on the shoulder, she smiled at him. "Take it from me; a non-white, non-straight, non-male. Things get better, even if it takes a long time. Maybe today is bad- maybe tomorrow will be too. But by treating others with dignity and respect anyways? One day, I'll say non-human on the end of that list, and it'll just be another quirk of who I am." She started braiding her hair as she was want to do when she had nothing else to do with her attention.

"Does it suck that as a people, we react with intolerance first? Absolutely. But every person that I save, goes home with the knowledge that at least one inhuman is trying to make the world a better place."

Moving on to more playful topics, she giggled at the look on his face. Certainly she had called blasphemy- but she wasn't that look of shock, like a lady clutching at her pearls. "I- was- in I.T. I run on coffee."

On the discussion of combat however, Kai turned to appraise his musculature. It would help her figure out how best to set up training for him- and her forays into different martial arts meant that she was starting to have quite the pile of knowledge to offer. "Have you heard of aikido? I can teach you some, but you may want to try out some lessons. The whole style is based on the principle of defending without inflicting injury."

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

448 Posts
20 Threads
Nyte

Chris grinned to Kai, “Well, yeah, I’m pretty sure I’d be shocked to find out that I lived in a universe where people read about me or people around me in a comic book, too.” He frowned, “When I told Tony, he was… Upset. Then again, he has a whole comic book just about him and the people around him, so…” Chris frowned at her statement that she wouldn’t be able to assume the mantle her father should leave to her, but he didn’t question it, instead reaching to place a hand over hers and giving a quick squeeze, “People in groups and at large tend to be on the stupid side. We just need to give them time.”

Kai was right. She had it harder than he did. Chris was small for a guy, and a magic user to boot, he was quiet and nerdy and had strong opinions on colors and food, and he liked men as much as he liked women, but he was a white male nonetheless. “It shouldn’t be someday, and it shouldn’t be ‘better’. It should be now, and it should be good.” He gave her a smile at her words, though, “The world is better because you’re in it, Kai. If I had known you, even just met you once, and had known you were in that terrible world, I’d have gone in after you just as surely as I went for my sister.” And Safi would have been furious all the same.

With a laugh, Chris told her, “Kai, seems that IT and PA’s run on much the same thing.” He shrugged, “Planning and then running an event takes gallons of it, because it’s taking the place of sleep.”

Christian was far more fit than Kai might be able to take in at a glance. Under the button up shirt and slacks, he was far from weak. He simply didn’t fight back, unwilling to harm another person, even if they deserved it. He could, he just didn’t. “Aikido? I can’t say I know of it.” He had learned some basic self defense in school, but he hadn’t liked how violent they encouraged you to be. Judo, Taekwondo.. So violent, with kicking and hitting and… Chris wasn’t comfortable with it. But she called the moves in aikido ‘holds’ which sounded less, well, violent. The last bit, though… A combat style based on the principle of defending without inflicting injury… He could do that, maybe. He could, at least, try. “You could teach me some?” He didn’t want to go to some class and look like an idiot, unwilling to do things...

@alex
Marvel-MCU-1

90 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai sighed and nodded at that. She winced slightly. "I might be less easygoing about being in a world which there are comics about- if those comics shared intimate details about my life. If secrets that I wished to be kept secret were published in an easily found format. If things he didn't wish to be shared could be discovered by taking a trip to your world..."

Kai wrinkled her nose. "I am not an ideal candidate for the mantle anyways." She offered with a soft smile. She knew that she still wished otherwise- but she had partied and drank when she should have been taking the time to spend time with her people and her traditions.

"That's sweet of you Chris, and it is always good to know that there are people who feel that way- but..." She sighed and squeezed his hand in return. "In my culture, there are two principles, Ho'omau, and Ka lā hiki ola. Ho'omau is the value of perseverance. In taking things in stride and moving on. And Ka lā hiki ola is the dawning of a new day. The hope that comes with it."

She patted his cheek. "So I will persevere, until the dawning of a new day." Sune said with a smile, knowing there were all kinds of other tenements that she could use to explain her logic, but those words were more than enough for her. She did wink at him.

"It's amazing the wonders Coffee can do. Well. Coffee and morning sex." She offered comfortably. Then dropped a wink. "Or all night sex- oh that was a brutal morning, but I had noooo regrets." She smirked into her coffee, warm with the idea of her very first night with Jake.

"And yeah! Of course. I like having someone to spar with, though I am much much better with teaching surfing so I can't give you any guarantees it'll be great instruction."

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

448 Posts
20 Threads
Nyte

Chris nodded, considering Kai’s words. “I agree with that. I just…” Christian slumped in his seat, “I grew up loving him. He was my hero, you know? I saw plenty of the things he did wrong, the mistakes and vices he had, and I learned caution about certain things. He taught me so much, he…” Chris flushed, “He was my hero, and my friend. I was a kid, and I was… Alone.” Chris fidgeted, “I thought we had that in common, but Tony says the comic books got a lot of things wrong, that being one of them. We’re nothing alike. I share more in common with Steve Rogers than I do Tony Stark.” It hurt, to be so rejected by someone he had idolized so much growing up. And worse was the relationship that Tony had with Safi. Safi could say he loved Christian forever, but the truth was that the relationship they had was a friendship.

“I understand. I just feel that it should be your decision, or at least your parents’ and yours.” He smiled, “Those are beautiful values. I wish things were better, but I think your way is one worth striving for.” Patience and optimism, he could agree with those things. Worthy things to work to have.

Coffee was a wonderful thing. Sex… Christian flushed slightly, looking down into the dark liquid in his mug, “I’m sure.” He wasn’t a virgin, not anymore, but that didn’t change the fact that he never woke up to morning sex, and he’d never had all night sex, either. It hadn’t been empty, but it hadn’t been within the confines of a romantic relationship, either.

So when the subject was changed to aikido, Christian brightened and leapt back into the conversation, glad to not be thinking of romance. “Well, let’s start with the simple things, and maybe we’ll go surfing together sometime, too? I’ve never been, so you can laugh at me.” He spoke the words lightly, grinning easily, “But I’d like to learn, and you might not think you’ll be a good teacher, but I have faith in you.”
Marvel-MCU-1

90 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai hugged Chris automatically, feeling just as bad as the times she accidentally told her sisters that Santa wasn't real. It sucked to be faced with someone who you idolized and see how much of it was a lie. "Did you ever think that maybe he was just lashing out because of the situation? Maybe you could try to get to know him for him- see if maybe you can't find the good in him that you could see so clearly before. It's easy to get angry when you're uncomfortable." She gave a final squeeze before letting go. "Just think of him like a hedgehog. When he gets uncomfortable or afraid, he puts his spikes up, and doesn't know how much damage he does. Yet at the same time, he's probably pretty cute when you can calm him down." Kai offered, bumping his shoulder with her own.

"There's also, leading through example, maintaining a community, respecting the dignity of all, any number of others. But for me, for now, I persevere until the new dawn. I'll find a home again, maybe that's back in my world- maybe it's somewhere else entirely. But the world keeps turning, and I can only hope for the best." She explained softly, breathing more easily as she centered herself in her beliefs. "It helps that I do not feel truly alone. Though I know them to be a gift of my inhuman nature-" Kai paused and moved her orbs from her skin, peeling back the magic that coloured them all the same, and arrayed the crystals in an arc. "I can't help but believe- each of my pohaku- stones- is a blessed aumakua. An ancestor blessing me with the power to do what is right. To continue down my path. Watching over me, and telling me I have not strayed."

She noted the blush on Chris's face and purposefully avoided saying anything about it, despite her desire to giggle. This man had to be at least five years older than her- yet was so much more innocent. She shrugged slightly. "I am pansexual, but have never formed a romantic bond- with anyone- so it is a little easier for me to have meaningless sex than most. Though- the all night sex was with uh- Jake. The guy who came to rescue me." She did giggle then. "You should have seen how annoyed he was when I was called in early to work. I left the poor guy in quite a state." She explained- it was a story she didn't have many people to share with, and oh did it make her laugh. She felt a little bad about it- but she was pretty sure she had made up for it by now.

Kai grinned wildly at the idea of surfing. "Oh I'd love that! I haven't been surfing nearly so much since the whole- inhuman thing- since I can't exactly wear a bikini without advertising my nature- But I love surfing. I used to be a champion surfer you know." She replied easily, sighing with happiness at the idea of having her board beneath her again.

Jake didn't love the ocean the way Kai did- which, considering it was the only thing she considered a major flaw- was fine. But she did miss going out first thing in the morning to ride the waves.

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

448 Posts
20 Threads
Nyte

If there was a way for Christian to show Tony that he idolized him all the same even with the flaws and problems and mistakes, Christian would happily, immediately, take that route. He was trusting Tony with Safi, wasn’t he? As much as that hurt, Chris kept his nose out of it, tried to make things better between himself and the hero, not that that seemed to have helped. At all. “I tried, Kai.” Chris shrugged, looking down at his hands as he fidgeted, “I tried just… He won’t even eat the pancakes I make. I know how the man likes his coffee, but I guess that just makes me a halfway competent PA.” He sighed, “I just try to give him his space and pretend I don’t know anything. So far, what I thought I knew isn’t even right, so I really don’t know anything about him other than his name, superhero name, and how he likes his coffee.” And he knew that he was with Safi, which Christian carefully didn’t mention. He smiled a little bit when Kai compared Tony to a hedgehog, murmuring, “He’d be a very shiny hedgehog, though.”

Listening to Kai’s beliefs, looking at her pohaku, it distracted Christian from his issues with Tony, and it also did a pretty good job of letting him leave his sadness and pain aside, focusing on something better. Something beautiful. He smiled to Kai, nodding, “That’s amazing.” Yes, her orbs were part of her gifts as an inhuman, but Chris understood that they didn’t have to be only that. “You’re very lucky, Kai.” To have that belief, to have ancestors that watched over her.

Yeah, okay, he knew it was childish to blush about sex, but that didn’t mean he could help it, either! “I’m not a virgin, Kai.” His voice was strained, but he spoke the words as firmly as he could, “I’m…” he shrugged, “In love with someone who happens to be a man, thus far all of my experience is with women.” He chuckled, “But at least I’m not a virgin.” his voice grew in firmness as he spoke, as he relaxed into the conversation with someone he thus far liked. He let her do most of the talking on the subject, she seemed comfortable enough doing so, but he refused to back away from the topic.

He’d never been surfing. Ever. He’d grown up in Georgia, and not exactly on the coast, not that he thought that the east coast would be particularly good surfing… “I’d love to learn.” Christian liked the water, enjoyed swimming. It was something he had learned in college, and having access to a pool at all hours? Chris had definitely taken advantage of that. Even now, when he was at home, Lexcorp had facilities that any employees could use, and sometimes Chris would sneak down, when no one else was there, or at least when there were only a few people (and not the ones who might dunk him or hold him under or otherwise tease him) and swim. He grinned, “So, aikido and surfing?”

@alex
Marvel-MCU-1

90 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai listened comfortably enough, though she could see some of her meaning go directly over Chris's head. "Chris- I mean. Have you sat down and talked to him- person to person? I was never really famous, but it can get uncomfortable when people look at you like you're somehow more than human-" Kai paused, rubbing her neck sheepishly. "Ignore the irony of that statement- but don't go out of your way to accommodate him. If I were you, I'd walk right into his labs, and tell him what I thought of him."

"Communication is so important- which is a super hypocritical statement from me but is still true." Kai explained, her cheeks warmed so slightly that she doubted anyone would notice without physical contact. "If you're afraid to talk to him, then yeah, he'll probably be uncomfortable."

Her smile did return in full force when he called her lucky. "I am, yes. I wouldn't have made it this far without my aumakua." She agreed quickly- before moving to elaborate since that was one of the dangling comments that people usually had questions about. "When I went through terrigenesis- well I had real bad luck. There were some terrigen crystals that were dissolved in the ocean- some people were awoken because of fish oil pills- I was surfing. Then I was sinking because I was encased in stone." She sighed slightly, her fear of the situation keeping her from full amusement- though she hoped her crystal made animations made it more interesting to watch if nothing else. The multicoloured crystal shaped as her, the red as her board, blue as the wave that splashed her- etc. "It didn't crack off all at once- by the time I was mostly free, I was almost passed out from oxygen deprivation. And I was on the ocean floor. I could have suffered some serious consequences, and that was if I had the ability to make it back up."

Her smile returned in force. "Until the first of my aumakua that I had ever known came down and cracked the stone shell off." A violet shark swam in and followed her descriptions. "Carried me back up to the surface- all the way to the beach. I guess my new transformation gave me enough strength to force the water out of my lungs- because that's where I woke up the next day. One of the many benefits of being from an ancestral line of proud leaders- not a one of them would leave their descendants if they could help."

She threw her head back with a laugh about the virgin comment, and she clapped Chris on the shoulder- forgetting again that she was stronger than she was used to. "I wasn't suggesting you were- I just assumed you weren't as much of a slut as I am." Kai quipped with a wink. "Besides, there's nothing wrong with being a virgin. I'm maybe aromantic- and asexual is just as reasonable." She added, her voice turning serious.

"Yeah! Sounds awesome- then if you get any good I can take you to the lantern planet- Oa- if you ask really nicely, he'll make you these killer waves. I even convinced him to make me a tidal wave once- far enough out in the ocean that nothing was at risk of course- but right until I fell, it was so sick."

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

448 Posts
20 Threads
Nyte

Christian looked up and over at Kai, brown eyes sincere, “He doesn’t want to talk to me. He sees me and he gets… Angry? I don’t know, maybe not angry, but definitely weird.” He sighed slightly, then sat back, slumping a bit even as he stated (maybe a little too) matter of factly, “It’s probably because he’s sleeping with Safi, and he knows that I love Safi.” Chris shrugged, then frowned, “Tony’s just human, Kai. I mean, he’s a genius, and… In the comic books he’s great. A hero. But the real Tony Stark?” Chris shrugged, “I wish I could get to know him, you know? But it’s like there’s a wall that stays between us, no matter what I do.” He sighed, “I tried telling him that I thought he was a person that was worth being friends with, someone that he deserved someone to know him, to be on his side, but he just told me to leave.” The saying ‘don’t meet your heroes’? Yeah, that was worth listening to.

Kai was lucky. To have parents… A home… Chris didn’t resent her for having those things, but he wished he could have had them, or at least understood what it was like to. He had gotten tiny glimpses, when he’d visit with Belle and spent time in her home with her ma… But he hadn’t ever really experienced it. On top of that, she had her crystals, her aumakua, and that was amazing. He listened as she shared more about her, watching her tale unfold, animated by the crystals themselves, and he smiled. She might have had some misfortune in where she she had unwent her terrigenesis, but she had come out better for the transformation, and Chris was glad she had. He liked Kai, liked how easy going she was, how straightforward she seemed. “I’m glad they came to help you. That you were able to get here to Hub.”

And she was so far from being shy!

He chuckled at her reaction to his reassurance that he was not, in fact, a virgin. He knew that most people peg him for one, knew that his reactions sometimes came off as naive and innocent, but… He wasn’t. Not anymore. “I’m….” He shrugged, “Pretty sure that I’m none of those things?” He tipped his head, “I’ve never felt the way I do about Safi for anyone else. I love Belle, she’s my sister, but Safi is very different.”

The lantern planet? He perked up at the mention of another planet, eyes widening just a little as she spoke, absorbing her words. “That sounds amazing,” he murmured the words, awed, “I’d like that. But first I have to get good.”

@alex
Marvel-MCU-1

90 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai's nose wrinkled at the obvious distress in Chris's voice, and without hesitation she pulled him into a half hug. "Oh I'm sorry. That sucks." She hesitated for just a moment before continuing, unable to hold back her need to give advice. So help her, she was in her early twenties, she thought she had it all figured out, and she wanted to offer what she could. "Maybe... don't? I mean, even then, that's assuming a lot about the guy. Maybe just try 'Hey. I realize we have our differences- but you matter to my friend, and I want to get to know you better for his sake.' If he cares for Safi even a little, which he probably does, he'll have to agree. Or be an incredible asshat, in which case you know that he's not worth a second more of your time."

She knew she was lucky to have her family. Her parents were so unbelievably kind, and supportive. Her sisters were both so annoying and beautiful and wonderful and so weird. She adored them all, and she had never regretted a single moment spent with them. She only wished that she could return to the times when she could rest easily at home. Throw a pillow at her sisters in the mornings to wake them up. Go out on the surf with her tutu or father. Come home and make dinner with her mom.

Kai missed all of the normal things that she had taken for granted.

She smiled automatically at the reply, despite the hole her mind had fallen into. "Thank you. A number of people deny the fact that they could possibly be my ancestors, so I appreciate you not challenging my beliefs even if you believe otherwise."

She patted his shoulder, even as red creeped under her skin, barely visible with the difference in her colouring. "I, ah, understand that. I call myself sort of aromantic but... well. You met Jake. I don't know what we are, but he makes my heart do that weird flip floppy thing that books always reference." She grumbled, not knowing how to explain.

She listened to his reply and opened her mouth to respond when her phone started ringing. Shuffling through her things, she groaned when she read the message. "I would love to start teaching you like. Right now. But I got to go, my sister blew something up. Text me at XXX-XXX-XXXX whenever you've got free time to train." She replied quickly, chugging the rest of her coffee, even as she tapped a few buttons on her phone and popped the window open. She flew outside, even as it began to slide shut once more.

@eve