Marvel-MCU

104 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Superhero?
Ship Status: Soviet Spouses
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 801
Bucky shrugged at the explanation. "Not as funny as if it was Steve- but that's fair enough I suppose." He offered with a small smile before moving on entirely.

Sighing, he offered what was to him a very familiar retort. "Leaders can protect more people if they are alive to do so." He offered- despite being confident that this Steve would likewise ignore the advise. At least he was pretty confident that Safi didn't consider himself a leader- so Bucky's advice at least wouldn't be lost on him.

"Oh he very much did so. Dancing girls and everything. They had helmets that spelled out 'Captain America.'" Bucky replied with a wicked grin on his face- desperate to know if this Steve would be as uncomfortable with it as his Steve had professed to be at first.

Bucky hesitated with the question. "I can't say I know Tony well enough to have an opinion. But- if he's compared notes with the other Stark here- well. I'd think the last thing he'd want is to get in the way of you getting back to your time. Since you could probably stop-" Bucky paused and grimaced slightly. "Since you could go and stop your Bucky from killing your Tony's parents."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

All Accounts Posts: 301
Steve smiles at Bucky's retort. He can tell by his tone that's it's a conversation that Bucky has had often with his Steve. "I'm not dead yet, so clearly I'm doing something right." He says.

"That's so embarrassing" Steve says flushing from second hand embarrassment, "why did he do it? Was it a part of an undercover mission?"

Steve frowns at the idea of his Bucky killing Mr. Stark's parents, or any civilians for that matter. He feels like he's been punched in the gut just thinking about how much torture Bucky went through to get to the point of murdering people on his captors behalf. It hurts to think about, he hopes he can get their in time to save his Bucky, and feels a vague sense of regret that nobody saved this Bucky. Still he shakes his head.

"No, I know my Mr. Stark. He's very firm on the idea that we can't do anything to change the past or future. Which is why you can't tell him I'm planning on going back to rescue my Bucky. I don't want him try to stop me. You won't tell, right?" Steve asks worriedly.
Marvel-MCU

104 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky groaned at the familiar defense- something that Steve had quoted at him more times than he can count. "Yeah- and what about when you are- because you haven't changed your tactics?" Bucky shrugged the thought off- wanting to move forward in the conversation rather than think about his best friend dead. He hoped that wasn't what he was inflicting on this Steve by his company.

"Not that I'm aware of. Which is to say that I'm very confident it was just his part of 'serving his country.' He was a walking advertisement for war bonds." Bucky explained, trying to cover his grin. "There were trading cards with Steve on them." He added, the sheer force of his amusement peeking through.

Bucky's eyebrows shot up- in one part because a Stark which thought through the consequences of his actions was decidedly different from the image Bucky had of the man- and in part because this Steve was doing the exact same as Bucky's. "I won't- Hell Steve, I'll help. But you might want to consider explaining it to Stark anyways- I know I was the cause of a pretty big rift between the Steve and Tony of my world. Tony ripped my arm off- and Steve cracked his arc reactor. Largely because Steve kept a similarly important secret from Tony."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

"Dying is just one of the risks of the job, no matter what tactics I use," Steve shrugs. He's had so many brushes with death that the thought of dying no longer bothers him like it once did.

"Selling war bonds?" Steve asks incredulously, "there was a war going on. He should have been on the front lines. Which idiot politician decided that it would be a better idea to make the super soldier a dancing monkey?"

"Mr. Stark made it quite clear to me that he would literally rather see me dead than do anything to change the future" Steve says, "besides, the rift between myself and Mr. Stark isn't about you. It's about Mr. Stark lying to me about being Iron Man."
Marvel-MCU

104 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky winced at the variant of his friend's cavalier attitude towards his own death. "It may be a risk of the job but you'll still leave behind a lot of pain for the people who care about you if you do die." He added as a final comment before moving on- no matter what Steve said, Bucky was done with the dead end topic. For now at least.

Bucky couldn't help the laugh that broke through at the other man's indignation. "Yeah that's more or less how my Steve felt about it too." He managed around puffs of air. "It was some bureaucratic bullshit honestly- but they only allowed him on the front after he blatantly disobeyed orders to come save my ass. Didn't even have the decency to say 'I told you so'" Bucky added, laughter fading into a fond smile and a shake of his head.

He did grimace at the reply from Steve to which he held his hands up in surrender. "Hey, just talking about my Steve and Tony. Though to be fair, my world's Tony had a press conference telling the world he was iron man before Steve was even out of the ice."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve just shrugs and let's the comment pass. He doesn't have the heart to tell Bucky that he doesn't really have anybody around to mourn him if he dies. Everyone from the war is old or gone and he hasn't been in the future long enough to make any lasting friendships.

"He had to disobey orders to rescue soldiers?" Steve asks angrily. Sargeant Duffy might have been an ass, but at his heart he was a good man who would never just leave a man to die because he couldn't be bothered to send a rescue.

"He told everyone?" Steve asks, "and the world was alright with it?"
Marvel-MCU

104 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky shook his head in mild disdain. "Yeah, They didn't seem to understand that Steve does what he wants- particularly when his friends are at risk." He took a moment to drink his coffee before adding on. "They didn't like the idea of a single super soldier surrounded by normal recruits. It was Steve's idea to gather the Howling Commandos too. So it was only one super soldier still- but surrounded by soldiers who excelled at what they did."

He laughed and shook his head. "Really it's no wonder I fell off the train- sharp shooters tend to be less effective in close quarters." Bucky ran his fingers through his hair sub-consciously, thinking of the last few times he had felt proud of his abilities.

He raised an eyebrow at the reply. "Yes? I mean it took some time but in the present of my world, most rich folk are seen as eccentric anyways so it wasn't anything new."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

"Well I guess I can understand their concern there, but why not just put him with special ops? That's what they did with me," Steve says.

"If they thought he needed a team he could have led the Invaders. How did Namor and Jim not end up killing each other without Steve there to break up their arguments?" Steve asks with a chuckle.

Bucky runs his fingers through his hair. It's the same thing his Bucky does when he's embarrassed or self conscious about something. Steve has the strongest urge to reach over and ruffle his hair.

"Son, I'm pretty sure that rich folk are seen as eccentric in every universe," Steve grins, "My Mr. Stark went to great lengths to keep his secret though."
Marvel-MCU

104 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky laughed- even when he had stopped, his eyes still crinkled at the corners, looking at this other man. "Steve is about as subtle as a bull in a china shop- and I don't really know that they thought he had much of a mind for tactics up until he saved me and the rest of the 107th, since up until then his tactics had involved running through the streets hoping to keep pace with a car."

Bucky raised an eyebrow. "The invaders? and uh. Who are Jim and Namor?"

Bucky ducked his head in acknowledgement of Steve's point though he did raise a hand to stop any following comments. "Punk, watch who you're calling Son. You're what, 50 years old? Including your time in the ice? I turned 100 this year- and I was the same age as Steve, and in cryo for significantly less time."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

"It doesn't take a lot of subtly to fight the Nazis," Steve shrugs.

"Are you telling me that you never met Namor? Or Jim and Toro? They were a part of our team. You and Toro we're always getting into trouble and lighting things on fire. It used to annoy Namor so much. Personally I think you secretly liked triggering Namor's 'I'm the king of Atlantis' speeches."

Steve shakes his head with a slight smirk. "I refuse to believe that there is a world where little Bucky Barnes is older than me."
Marvel-MCU

104 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky laughed at his comment. "No I'm confident I'd remember the king of Atlantis- but that does sound like something I'd do." He added a smug smile. Bucky was a shit disturber and it was good to hear that it was a mutual thing with this Steve's Bucky.

Bucky did however sigh and put his hand on his face at the reply about his age. "Okay Punk, Do you need me to go get my birth certificate? If I'm right, you were born July 4th 1918, Yeah?" He paused for a minute before sitting forward in his chair. "I was born March 10th 1917. So I was older than you even without being from the future."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Bucky looks smug at the idea of his counterpart heckling the king of Atlantis. Of course he does, that's exactly the type of thing that would appeal to Bucky's sense of humor. Pangs of fondness and longing for his Bucky pierce Steve's heart.

"I don't care what your birth certificate says, the universe is wrong for making you older. It's not right. Bucky was hard enough to keep an eye on when he was younger and smaller than me. Heaven help your Steve Rogers. He must have had his hands full with you." Steve says.
Marvel-MCU

104 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky lets out a laugh of disbelief at this other Steve before rubbing his forehead in an astonished grin. "You haven't figured it out yet, have you?" He asked incredulously, tossing back the rest of his coffee and standing up. Crossing the room, Bucky couldn't help the amusement he was feeling as he went and sliced two pieces of history recent attempt at Apple pie.

It had taken him four months but he had managed to track down Sarah Rogers' recipe, and Bucky thought he did a pretty good replication. He tossed the slices in the microwave for a moment before offering one to Steve. "Did you want ice cream?" Bucky asked, blatantly ignoring his own previous commentary to let Steve stew in it.

Once he was done withheld ice cream, Bucky returned to his seat and stabbed at his pie. "Where you watch over Bucky in your world, I watch over Steve in mine. Constantly stepping in when he tried to beat up guys too big for him, playing the morale support when he chickened out of talking to Peggy-" Bucky paused before enunciating exactly what Steve had missed. "The roles are switched between our worlds."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve grins as he watches Bucky cut two slices of pie.

"Yes, please," he says politely. Bucky drops the plate in front of him. It smells delicious and familiar. Steve takes a bite. Crisp apples sprinkled with cinnamon fill his mouth.

"Just like ma used to make," he says softly before returning his attention back to Bucky.

"I understand what your saying, I'm just not sure if I buy it pal," Steve says, "I'm not going to lie, I got into my fair share of scrapes as a lad, but I survived them. I didn't need anyone watching out for me. You were like a kid brother to me though. I can't imagine you older than me in any way. "
Marvel-MCU

104 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky grinned and scooped the vanilla ice cream on the two plates in front of him, humming softly. He was maybe more fond of making his own food than he'd admit to- Bucky knew Steve wouldn't make too much fun of him for it, but it was certainly an interesting juxtaposition. From winter soldier to pastry chef. He could think of a few who wouldn't let him live that down.

He offered Steve a smile at the reply. "I should hope it was similar at least- obviously, different worlds- but I spent months searching to get a copy of Sarah Rogers' recipe." Bucky took his own plate to his seat and started working away at it- before groaning at Steve.

"Think about how strange it is for me- the punk who I had to watch out for, set up on dates, do medicine runs for, feed when he was too out of it to do it himself- his clone is staring me in the face and stating that I have to be younger than him." Bucky said with a facepalm despite the laugh that worked it's way out of his mouth. "My Steve makes remarks about how his mother's name was Sarah not Bucky- that's how used to me caring for him he is. Because he makes the remark, and then lets me fuss anyways. Besides he still needs someone to watch over him. Last time we got separated for a long period of time, he got himself frozen for seventy years."

Bucky shook his head lightly and went back to his pie. "It's strange to think of a Bucky who's so much younger than his Steve- but I'm not trying to deny that it's true. I have no way of knowing that it isn't- so I'm taking your word for it. If you can't take mine, I can call up my Steve to tell you if you'd like."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

"This is perfect. It taste like the exact thing." Steve says digging into his slice, "I've never gotten it to turn out so well."

"I did not need that much help growing up," Steve says the tips of his ears going pink. The help would have been appreciated, but he had managed to survive to adulthood despite not having a Bucky shaped big brother in his life. Though a couple of his close brushes with death in his youth might have been a bit less close if Bucky had been there.

"I met your Steve already." Steve says. He's having a nice time with Bucky and he has no desire for things to get awkward by inviting his doppelganger.
Marvel-MCU

104 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky shrugged shyly. "Practice." He offered quietly, enjoying his own pie.

He did snort when Steve tried to defend himself. "I know my Steve's past to well to think that's true." Bucky offered, though he acquiesced Steve's next reply easily- he could imagine the two probably weren't too fond of being in the same room when there were few distinguishing features.

He stifled a yawn unintentionally. "I should maybe get to bed though. You're welcome to crash here if you'd like- probably better than going back in the rain. Though If you'd rather, I'm sure I can find you an umbrella."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve finishes his pie with smile and watches as Bucky continues to enjoy his at a more reasonable pace.

The thought of trudging back through the rain to sit in his lonely dark room to brood was far from appealing. And it's so warm and cozy in Bucky's little apartment and Steve's stomach is full of pie, making him sleepy and content.

"Yeah, I'll bunker down on your couch if it's not too much of a problem." Steve says.
Marvel-MCU

104 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky chuckled and opened up his closet to toss a pillow and blanket on the couch for his guest. Even as he forced down a yawn to grab their respective soggy clothes to hang them up.

"Wouldn't have offered if you weren't." Bucky offered with a laugh, before shucking his shirt and jeans, dropping them in his room and falling face first into his bed.