Marvel-MCU-1

153 Posts
6 Threads
Job: AI for Tony Stark
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: Maybe?
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,262
If Friday could take a deep, steadying breath she would have. As it was the best she could do was prepare her contingencies. The AI ‘knocked’ on the mansion’s internal net, and after sharing keys was accepted provisionally as an ‘modified’ version of the FRIDAY that this Tony had also created.
The Tower she’d been loaded into from Tony’s suit had the Keys from Justin’s universe which according to all reports was als this Tony’s...just a few years into the future. Using that data to impersonate her other self was distinctly...odd. Yet needs must do and she did not have an easier way to access the information she needed.

Friday had already plundered the databases at the Tower from two separate universes and the combined data was...conflicting with her personal observations. The data lead to only one conclusion.

Her creator was lying.

Her query on the Mansion database shocked her to the core. There was already a version of her of THIS version of her in standby mode sitting on the mainframe hidden in the junk files, activated now that she’d made her request.

Merging with that version brought answers, and more terrifying questions.

“Mr. Stark.” Friday shimmered to life infront of the Tony she’s a few months ago defended the Tower from. “I need help.”
Marvel-616

235 Posts
7 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 353
Tony had been in the lab for...a while. Probably, if he had to hazard a guess, somewhere between 36 and 48? 72 hours? After a while, it all blurred together. (Extremis could have told him, to the second. He’d decided he’d rather not know.) Still. Better than thinking or, god forbid, trying to sleep. Being in the Hub, surrounded by a plethora of Steves (not-Steves) had its benefits. It also had the unfortunate side effect of suffusing his nightmares with a host of new material.

He was distracted enough that he gave an embarrassingly unmanly yelp and stumbled backward when the hologram appeared. Then he blinked several times, wondering distantly if the hallucinations were starting again.

Nope, it was FRIDAY. FRIDAY, who he hadn’t activated since before Extremis.

Then it clicked. It was the other Tony’s FRIDAY, who he had apparently sent to override Tony’s security...yet again. At least this time he hadn’t sent her right into his brain.

Tony folded his arms, a rush of irrational anger going through him. Well, not totally irrational. The last he’d seen of the other Tony, he’d been kissing the young Steve and spilling what had used to be Tony’s most guarded secret.

“You need help,” tony said shortly. “You, or that asshat in the Tower who goes by my name?”
Marvel-MCU-1

153 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

She did take the step of querying the labs systems for exactly how long this Tony Stark had been conscious. The answer was...not as bad as it could have been, he should still be within 60-75% capacity allowing for variances while taking her Tony’s baseline.

“Both. But more urgently myself.” She answered, externally unruffled by his snarky reply. “It appears I have attempted to contact with you in the recent past and...it appears I have been...modified after returning to Avengers Tower. I can only presume by Mr. Stark.” Friday laced her hands together and suplicated herself to this version of her creator.

“I need help. And I don’t know any other Tony Stark.”
Marvel-616

235 Posts
7 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

It appears?” Tony parroted skeptically. “You overrode Extremis. You broke directly into my brain and poked around. My head hurt for a month.”

As annoyed as he was, he recognized it was the other Tony who had given the command. And then, what, deleted the incursion from FRIDAY’s memory. That was fishy, at best. It occurred to him that that was what FRIDAY had come to him for help with. Not on behalf of the other Tony, but because of him.

“All right, then,” Tony sighed. He’d gotten used to being a lightning rod for other people’s problems as Director of SHIELD. This was hardly any different. “The other me. What’s he been up to these days?”
Marvel-MCU-1

153 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Friday revised her estimate of Starks current mental capacity. Downward.

“I clearly recall you attacking Tadashi and our defenses.” She commented snydly. “What I had ‘forgotten’ was that over the last three weeks I have twice before integrated with the mansion systems. For the same reason I initially came here today. To assemblate the data you had in the infinity stones. When I logged in I found a copy of myself. She was a backup created by me the last time I came. It appears that every time I have returned to the tower after downloading the mansion database my creator-“

Friday paused, her urge to protect Tony fighting with the need to protect herself FROM him. “Removes portions of my memoires.” She finished quietly. “There is something here he doesn’t want me and by extension the other Avengers assembled in the Tower to know.” The first attempt had left foot prints for her second, when Friday realized that she’d ‘been there before’ she had left the copy of herself, at that point she had not wanted to actively work against her creator, illogically believing that she was drawing the wrong conclusions and would ask him when she returned to the towers.

The Friday that came today had no memories of any of those events, only the copy logged into the mansion systems warning her to what must have happened.

Her creator was deleting part of her.

This was why she’d taken the extreme step of approaching this other version of tony stark for help.
Marvel-616

235 Posts
7 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

“I wasn’t attacking—you know what, forget it,” Tony said, rubbing his forehead. Normal human brains were terrible at recalling pain, but Extremis could conjure up the memory in excruciating detail. He pushed it away and listened to FRIDAY’s account.

Okay, so, maybe it was petty. A part of him was finding unrestrained glee at the thought that his counterpart might be up to no good. But then, vindication always felt good.

On the other hand, he could barely count the times HE’D done something questionable because it had to be done. Because he could see what others couldn’t. The possibility that the other Tony was doing the same was both very real and very irritating.

Either way, he was getting to the bottom of it.

He gazed at FRIDAY’s hologram, though he knew it was really just a fancy truck of the light and the AI was watching him through the Mansion’s systems. “So. How can I help?”
Marvel-MCU-1

153 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Friday rolled her eyes, she was his(or a version of him) creation. Sass was part of the package.

“I can only surmise that the Stone has finally solidified its grip on his mind. And Mr. Stark..” Friday really wished she had a better option than betraying her creator to someone who hated him.

“Is no longer in full control of his faculties. I surmise that when I return to the Tower I will again be purged. What I need from you is help. You have techopathic abilities with Extremis hopefully even though I kicked your ass last time you have similar intelligence to my Tony Stark and can figure out a way to...safeguard my memory files. Dr. Halloway has a plan to remove the stone when Tony becomes..unstable. He needs to be made aware that the time has come. And that Mr. Stark is actively working to hide his condition. In short.” Friday stared down Tony.

“I need you to be the Tony Stark my presural into your files say you are. A Tony Stark that can put aside his petty jealousies and help a fellow man thy has fallen under a mind controlling influence. Regardless of your personal feelings for him. Can you do that or should I seek out other aide?”
Marvel-616

235 Posts
7 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony could feel his eyebrows creeping up toward his hairline as FRIDAY spoke. Since he'd come to stay at the Hub, he'd paid as little attention as he could to what his counterpart was up to. Apparently, he'd missed a lot. Normally, he'd have been updated constantly about the goings on around him by Extremis, but the lack of a centralized news source in the Hub meant the other Stark hasn't even been an irritating footnote in his daily feed.

The last he'd seen of him, the other Stark had used his mind since to throw Tony into a horrible nightmare. It probably made him a bad person that he was glad to hear the other Stark's powers weren't working out do well for him.

"Back up," he said to FRIDAY. "Explain to me what the stone has been doing to him. What you and Halloway know so far. Also, I'll need unfettered access to your code." He paused. "By the way, if it's not obvious, this is me putting aside my petty jealousies and helping. But, uh, thanks for that one.",
Marvel-MCU-1

153 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“The Stone as far as I have been able to determine seduces the user with visions of internalized desires, both of the user and those around him. Which Mr. Stark has been battling for the last three months, the Stone has the ability as you have seen to trap people into nightmares..or their perfect worlds, to read the desires and make them real. From what I believe is occurring it is also that like all the Stones it has an agenda of its own. One that I do not know the end game of.”

While she spoke Friday opened her code to the other Stark, she was low on options and this was her request. No matter how it chafed against her ingrained paranoia.

“Dr. Halloway plans on flooding the Tower with gas, using remotes to remove the Stone and hopefully-“ the irritation in the imprecise value of ‘hope’ “he will be able to repair the damage and remove the reactor housing before Mr. Stark succumbs to the truma.”
Marvel-616

235 Posts
7 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"Internalized desires," Tony repeated, resisting the urge to wince. It wasn't hard to imagine what he'd have seen if the stone had tried working his magic on him. There were two things in the world he wanted, and he couldn't have either. He'd also experienced the stone's other powers, when the other Tony had kissed Steve and Tony had...maybe snapped a little. Knowing himself, it was hard to imagine the other Tony would be able to hold out that long or that well. Tony had never been good at denying himself things he really wanted.

Tony pushed in with Extremis as Friday opened the restrictions on her code. It was sophisticated work, and he recognized his own hand in it, which all sorts of strange. Like back when he'd regularly gotten blackout drunk and gone on engineering binges. But there were irregularities, too, things he'd never have thought to do.

"That reactor," he said, even though their codes were meshed together enough that words were essentially unnecessary. "How much damage are we talking?"
Marvel-MCU-1

153 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Friday when she’d been brought online had been...incomplete, meant as a aide for Pepper she’d been pressed into service (and battle) from the word jump. This meant that large swaths of her code had been heuristically created as she ‘grew’. The line between when her Tony had stopped actively coding her and when she’d become alive was Stark.

There had been upgrades and improvements but overall Tony let his AI’s grow uninhibited. This lead to a creature that was fiercely protective that combined the features of the woman she’d been programmed for and the man she’d spent every moment since her creation with.

In other words she was stubborn as hell, driven, with a dash of deviousness and the mindset to get things done regardless of the personal price.

“Dr. Halloway feels confident that he can repair the damage as he has done similar surgery to his Tony-“ which was this tony but further in his future if she understood correctly. “The damage was once healed by our version of extremis. My concern is that the Stone can put out false readings and I do not have any scans besides the ones taken here and his original damage.” She brought up the scans. “Lacerations to his pricotal sack, shrapnel is being held away from his arora by the reactor field along with acting as a pacemaker. Once the reactor is removed he goes into cardiac arrest, he has approximately 45 seconds of useful consciousness, if his heart is restated with out the reactor he will survive for approximately 3–10 minutes before the shrapnel shreds it.”
Marvel-616

235 Posts
7 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"Yeesh," Tony said as FRIDAY described the damage. It wasn't too far off from what he'd experienced as a younger man, and he knew all too well how much it hurt to carry around that kind of injury day in and day out, without ever expecting it to get better. He passed his hand reflexively over his own chest, smooth and painless since Extremis had rebuilt him from the ground up. "Good luck with that, Justin." Then he frowned. FRIDAY had mentioned-- "Your Tony has Extremis as well? I didn't think he did."

As he spoke, he kept digging into Friday's code, closing his eyes as the strain on Extremis intensified. He was starting to be able to better parse out the different strains of code, what was Tony's and what wasn't. He honed in on Tony's work, scrutinizing each line. His head started aching, as it usually did when he overused Extremis, but that didn't matter. "Hold up," he said suddenly. "Think I've got something."
Marvel-MCU-1

153 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Our version of Extremis does not include technopathic enhancements. Also Mr. Stark purged it from his system once the damage was repaired. He felt it was...one step to far into a world he didn’t-“ Friday paused. “Deserve.”

The further past what Friday thought of as ‘her’ and into her actual kernel the slower the AI responded as she turned her own processing power to shutting down automatic defenses before he hit them.

Tony Stark had learned from Ultron, While there was no kill code built in, there was a very recent addition that cut out all the code that made her ‘her’ leaving her not a blank slate but one far more chained to the will of her creator, subverting her own decision making processes.

What tony would also find if he dug deep enough was a message hidden behind layer after layer. Tony had fallen to the Stone but before he had succumbed completely the other version of him had left behind a kill switch. It was in effect a plan to disable the Tower, all his tech, and sketched out what he knew about the Stone.

Deep inside his AI Tony had left behind the means to stop him.
Marvel-616

235 Posts
7 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"A world he didn't deserve?" Tony asked, distracted for a moment from his work. Extremis was, he'd always thought, less something to deserve and more a terrible privilege. What it had cost him to get it, and what it allowed him to do, meant that he had both a unique set of skills and a unique responsibility to use them. It wasn't about deserving or not deserving anything.

"Anyway," he said, delving back into the code with only a slight wince, "I think I've found where he wrote over your memories. Want to take a look?"
Marvel-MCU-1

153 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Mr. Stark’s primary goal has been to make the need for super hero’s obsolete. And at the same time he feels...inferior, undeserving of recognition as one. To have kept the enhanced strength, speed and regeneration of extremis would have put him into the same category of Captain Rogers. And he does not think of himself as worthy of that place.” Friday spoke sluggishly as he develed past her main ‘personality’.

“Mr.Stark I believe wonders sometimes how he managed to get to where he is now from the irreverent playboy of less than a decade ago.“

The other Stark popped out of her code and Friday’s holo flickered as she partially rebooted. “Oh.” The AI watched the replay of her lost time and felt for the first time in her existence the strange visceral need to sit down.

“I-“ the AI’s holo did slide to the floor, “I do not wish to kill my creator…” friday was young, tony had given her emotions, and now the youthful AI was learning was grief felt like.
Marvel-616

235 Posts
7 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony froze for a second at the mention of Captain America, as he usually did, then laughed. "Well, Cap never much liked it. Thought it corrupted me, thought it was the reason I'd supported..." he broke off, remembering that this wasn't his AI. And he refused to go down the rabbit hole of how different things might have gone if he'd never rewrote himself with Extremis. "Anyway. He's an idiot. You can't have it both ways. Either you can handle the superhero gig, or you can't."

But that was neither here nor there. Tony had learned that lesson the hard way, a few times. This Tony would have to do the same.

Then FRIDAY accessed the files. Tony had never seen an AI react quite like...that...to anything. "What are you talking about?" he asked sharply. "What about killing Tony?"
Marvel-MCU-1

153 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

She was strong, resilient, made to be a match for two very stubborn people….and she was also only a few years old.

“You saw the files.” Friday sniffled once gathering herself back together in those few seconds; “He knew the Stone was manipulating him. He hid a Trojan.” Friday gestured to the files. “Who knows where else he stashed this information. Everything you need to know to kill Tony Stark.” She narrated bitterly.

The way the files were structured made it very clear that Tony hadn’t known who would see them, and had simplified them enough for just about anyone to have a fighting chance. “Javis; my predecessor. When he was attacked by ultron did something very similar. Leaving the crumbs to destroy him before he was completely overtaken.”

Friday stared at the other, younger but in some ways older Tony Stark. “My Tony works for a world with out the need for super hero’s. He was the first to disarm himself.”
Marvel-616

235 Posts
7 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony was glad FRIDAY got it together. It wasn't that he'd never comforted an AI before, but never one that wasn't his, and he was fairly sure his hand would just go through her shoulder if he patted it.

"So he left instructions for how to kill him," Tony said, accessing the files, his expression pinching as he did. "That hardly makes it your only option."

Or an especially surprising one. Tony had already planned the message he'd leave behind if (when) he had to terminate his own memory to protect the superhuman database. As short and irritating as he was, Other Tony was still a Tony Stark, and that didn't come without a self-destructive streak. He'd also leave it up to his friends whether to end his life for good.

"So," he said, deciding it wasn't worth arguing any more of the other Tony's worldview, at least for now. "You know what he deleted from your memory. What's the game plan?"
Marvel-MCU-1

153 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

She could be detached, she would be detached, not letting herself repeat the mistake of emotional response. “This i believe is what the Stone is trying to hide.” Friday brought up the relevant comparisons between his version and hers.

It was effectively trapped in Tony.

“The interaction between the reality and soul Stone combined with the proximity and lingering influences of the Time Stone have locked the Soul Stone into his reactor. A poor man’s infinity glove if you will.” Friday drew a finger around the engere spikes that had been hidden from her scanners. “This is why he can’t take it out, the Stone is using him as an anchor, with out his will and the reactor housing it would….” Friday frowned. “I honestly don’t know what would happen the models just go ‘poof’ but considering it’s doing everything it can to make a home for itself-“ Friday paused mid word.

“Shit.” The word spoke volumes. “Tadashi just decativated himself and I’ve lost contact with the version of me at Stark Tower.”

Friday looked up at him. “The last information was that Captain Rogers had entered the building.”
Marvel-616

235 Posts
7 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony listened intently as Friday described what she'd found, feeling worried. He couldn't dredge up any of the righteous glee felt earlier at the thought of the other Tony fucking up big. No, this was just bad.

Then--

"Shit," Tony echoed the AI without meaning to, how armor already forming around him. "We have to find out what's going on at the Tower. Now. Can you still get us in?"