Fandoms: All

Canons: Open/Oc's Welcome!

Bans: Howard the Duck,
RPF* Real Person Fiction; IE Apping an actual celebrity

Main Rule:Don't Be a Dick

OOC min age:18

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: Virgil BarnettNot your usual watering hole...
Westworld/The Dark Tower-Westworld-1

112 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 808
Virgil raised his bottle in Mal's direction at his declaration that he'd seen unnatural. "Then you know what I'm talking about. Some of it's independent, or starts that way... but all of it would serve what they want. You see an opportunity, you take the opportunity, you see?" Had he known what Mal was referring to, Virgil's hesitation would have vanished. Those things were precisely the sort of thing that the Red King liked to start taking advantage of.

The space cowboy's question brought a smile to the gunslinger's face. "Well, that we do, though you might think it a bit less than what's needed. The 'Verse, as you call it... well, it likes to have something to say about what's happening too. Whenever there's a time when the most unlikely person is in the most unlikely place and ends up being exactly what's needed... have you ever come across that? Something's going wrong, and I'm talking the sort of wrong that twists your guts, keeps you awake at night, and some person, some person that you might never notice, might never think anything of, turns out to know something, be able to do something, that turns the whole situation around? That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. Mayhaps you've even been that person, they tend to find their way here more than any. But yes, there are some of us who go from world to world, finding the things that are wrong and... oh, let's just say, help them along. It can be a... strange sort of life."
Firefly-Show

21 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Jasmine/Starkly

All Accounts Posts: 435
Mal frowned slightly as he pondered the notion the 'verse had any say in what happened to the people in it. "And by volunteers, I mean folks what'll go in and try to change things. No such thing as God or anything else that cares what befalls folks like us. You find yourself in a situation and do something about it, that ain't fate, that's you. Same as if someone else steps up."

He stared into his glass again, thinking of all the folks he'd seen step up to be heroes and turn a situation around, and all's them that'd folded and let horrible things happen to each other. Seemed, like it always had, that they balanced each other out in the long run. But it hardly mattered.

"But I take it what you're saying," Mal paraphrased finally, realizing as he did that he was maybe a tad drunk and it was entirely possible he was going to get a real talking to from Zoe in the morning, "is that you need volunteers."

@mike

112 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Might be that no, nothing cares about us,” Virgil admitted, shrugging easily. “If it helps you more, think of creation as a living thing. When something invades your body, your body fights it off, fixes itself. It might not care what happens to the things that it leaves to fight off the infection, the invasion, the wrongness, but it’ll do its damnedest to make sure that it keeps on existing.” Granted, he thought that Mal was wrong in a sense, he’d been to plenty of worlds where it wasn’t up for debate that there was a force looking out for the people, be it called God or a spiritual force or the White or any other term for what it was. It might be, though, that Mal’s universe was much more removed from such things, which also happened in his experience. “It all comes to the same thing. If people want to get all religious about it, that’s their choice, I suppose. When a universe is threatened, it moves what it needs into place for that threat to be taken care of. Problem is, sometimes it doesn’t have everything it needs. When that happens… well, yes, that’s when volunteers come into things.” Of course, 'volunteer' was a bit of a light word for it. In Virgil's experience, when Ka put you on the path to do something that could shape the world, you usually found yourself swept up in it whether you liked it or not.

@starkly
Firefly-Show

21 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Jasmine/Starkly

All Accounts Posts: 435
Mal glared at Virgil, the warm fuzzy glow of the alcohol starting to leave him. Most topics of conversation, didn't especially rub him in one direction or another. Different folks believed different things about the way the 'verse worked, and he was all right with that. But not when they kept insisting on him accepting some higher power. He'd believed in all that, like a fool, before the War. The Battle of Serenity had done good to strip him of all that.

"I'll help your cause," he said slowly. "But I ain't on board with all this God stuff, or creation, or whatnot. Me and God parted ways a long time ago. If I'm in this, it's 'cause I chose to be in this. Now, tell me what needs done and where, and I'll tell you if I can do it."

@mike

112 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Virgil held up his hands in a little gesture of surrender, nodding his head to the captain’s point. “Cry your pardon if I’ve caused any offense,” he said without sounding patronizing. “I’ve been on this path a long time. It’s a path that only a few can walk for very long without giving in to the romantics of the idea. It’s a kind of coping, I suppose.” Virgil had, after all, buried most of the companions he’d known, by the necessity of just outliving them.

“As for what you need to do? For now, see to your people. See to your business. Everyone here has their own, and you have to look after you and yours, everyone understands that. When something’s wrong, when there’s something you’re needed for… well, when something’s honestly wrong that needs fixing, it’ll probably end up being obvious. Letting me know how to get ahold of you should cover everything.” Virgil considered, then shrugged as he polished off the rest of his drink. “For that matter, it might be good to have a look around your ‘verse for myself. A new trail is always good to go down, even the ones that are surrounded by vacuum.”
@starkly