Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family Matters
Jaya- August 4th
Star Trek-AOS

25 Posts
2 Threads
Job: Orion Slave
Ship Status: In a ship! (Kala? Naalth? idk)
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 173
Nala sighed softly as she walked from the spaceport- Certainly her task had been quite successful, but having one gave her something else to focus on. To look at her family's club and know that she would not find her favourite cousin inside? It was something that she was entirely incapable of handling. The emotions from the loss of Jaya were still so fresh- an open wound so to speak. Still, the redhead needed to report her success and attend to her family- and those matters could not be put off for too long- simply long enough to enjoy the view of her home.

Strolling casually down, she started mentally sorting through the details of her most recent mission before she was to explain it to others (something she had been doing since the moment she was on the beginning of her return.) Nala combed her fingers through her hair absentmindedly. She had been tasked with a rogue Orion male- one who had managed to accrue some power and with the lack of living females in his family, saw only mistreatment of other men, rather than the benefits a woman provided. It had taken her two months to convince the man to acquire an Orion slave girl- let alone convince him to align his interests with those of the syndicate.

Though, once she had managed to acquire unrestricted access to the man, aboard his vessel, it had been child's play. The other Orion had built up no resistance to a female's pheromones, and Nala had plenty of time to learn how to use them more deftly than average. It was a task that required a careful touch- one that, it occurred to her, may have been better suited for her cousin. That thought wiped her soft prideful smile from her face as she addressed the console she had arrived at to direct her holocall to her superiors.

Her report was brief, the kind one perfected over many years- The praise she was given was less so. Nala let that part roll off of her, it was a nice sentiment, but they all knew that were it not for her, Jaya would have been doing the task, and she would have done it in half the time if that.

Nala pursed her lips and tried to clear her head of her mournful thoughts- report completed, she would be returning to her family, and they had no need of negativity. She swallowed hard before entering the club- which was, as usual, filled to the brim with activity and dancers. She was however surprised to see that a large amount of the activity was focused on a certain table instead of on the beautiful women- abnormal to say the least. Straightening her minimal clothing, she walked around the group to where she saw her father.

Nala put a hand on his shoulder in way of announcing her presence before turning as well to the person so many had congregated around- at which point she dropped her meager bag of belongings with a gasp. She rubbed at her eyes to confirm her functional ability to see before allowing her brain to pass one word to her mouth.

"Jaya?!"
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 575
Jaya had headed directly to The House of Dawn as soon as she'd docked on Veretex III, knowing that her family wouldn't believe that it was her on the basis of the holocall that she'd sent. After being absent for so many months, they'd want to see her, smell her, to be certain.
Once she was home, it had been time to sit down and start talking about what had happened to her, and the challenges and opportunities that the Hub presented. It had been good, to be able to talk to her family about it, and although she was disappointed to hear that Nala was still travelling back, it was good news that Nala had finished her mission, and would be able to travel back to the Hub with Jaya.

So when she saw her cousin, Jaya rose to her feet, grinning from ear to ear. "Nala! Its so good to see you!"
Star Trek-AOS

25 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Nala couldn't help the flair of her nose as she confirmed what her eyes and ears were telling her. She swallowed hard, slightly incapable of making her brain function at that moment in time. When Jaya stood up however, Nala swooped in for a hug and held her cousin close to her for a moment.

"You're one to speak." She offered softly, barely able to make her mouth move as she desperately breathed in the scent of her cousin who was somehow still alive. "I can't believe you're here Jaya. I'm so glad you're alright." Nala whispered, surprised at herself for her sincerity.

"How are you? What happened?" She asked, pulling away enough to look her cousin in the eyes.
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"That is a very long story." Jaya said, and before she could start her mother suggested that she and Nala find a quiet place to catch up, since Jaya had given enough information for her to send off an initial report to the Syndicate.
A few minutes later, and the menfolk, her father and Nala's father and brothers, (and it was so good to have men around to take care of little things like this,) had gotten her and Nala settled in the lounge in the family quarters with food and drinks with their usual brisk efficiency.

"I suppose I should start at the begining." Jaya said "I was on my way back home, and I stowed away on a Star Fleet shuttle that was heading towards home, when we hit a-a portal I think is the best word. The shuttle was damaged and it took several months to repair it, since I didn't have access to the proper tools or parts. The portal lead to this place called The Hub, which is a nexus between worlds. Thousands, maybe millions of them. With travelers from all of those worlds as well."
Star Trek-AOS

25 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Nala was glad that her brothers were both around to catch her measly bag of belongings and put it away- sometimes she got back and it was all she could do to remember that she had somewhere she could put said items. The menfolk in her family had the whole return routine down to a rhythm, and before she was entirely cognizant of what was happening she was sitting in her favourite chair with her favourite warm drink in her hands.

Crossing her legs at the ankle, like the lady she rarely got to act, she listened patiently to her cousin as she soothed her throat with her drink. "A nexus between worlds? As in the multiverse theory? Have you run into alternate variants of our own reality- or are they all so far divorced as to be unrecognizable?" Nala tapped her fingers lightly on the side of her mug as she pondered what differences could exist. If each decision spawned an alternate reality, then... was there a universe where Nala had found her way to this hub rather than Jaya? Where Nala hadn't endangered her cousin?

She bit her lip slightly to bring her thoughts back to the present. "What did you do while in this 'Hub'?"
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"I have met people who have visited alternate versions of our reality. Believe it or not, I've met people who come from alternate versions of Earth where entertainment programs were made about our universe. With the Orions played by Terran females wearing green cosmetics, if you can believe it. Most of the portals seem to come from some version of Earth, and many of those are pre-interstellar travel, so I have no idea what is going on in this part of the galaxy. The only other Orion I've met there is a man named Kaalth, and he came from our distant past, a couple of hundred years before we knew there were aliens, so he wasn't much help there. I think he's from our timeline, or one fairly close to it, though." she shrugged "It confirms that the multiverse theory is correct, but it doesn't offer an obvious explanation about what makes universes split off. Of course, few of the people who end up there seem to be theoretical physicists."

"Well, I worked on getting the shuttle fixed, of course. Which meant that I needed to get parts and sometimes parts to make the parts. So I needed resources and the Hub-one of the interesting things is that places can just appear, for no real reason. But its also possible to will them into being, if you're intimately familiar with them, anyway. So I made a copy of the House of Dawn. One thing that seems to be a universal constant is that alien males will spend a great deal of time and resources on coupling and intoxicants. So I used that to create a decent business." she paused and continued.

"That is one of the reasons why I'm glad to see you here. The club is successful, and I need more Orions, especially women, there with me. Especially if the Syndicate approves the plan to use this as a means to connect us to resources from all over the multiverse. Even to expand into other universes. Its an adventure, and an opportunity. Especially since the Terrans, who are most of the people in the Hub haven't even heard of us, and the ones who have-well, a lot of the ones who have heard of us know the truth, or something close to the truth, about how the Orion Syndicate is really organized. So we don't have to giggle and simper and pretend to be brainless, and the men don't have to pretend to be thugs and brutes. And you know how hard that is for some of them." she giggled "Kaalth, the Orion who came through the portal, he tried, but he's such a sweetheart, he can barely manage being a bouncer. I couldn't imagine how he'd act if he lived here, and had to sell his sister to someone."
Star Trek-AOS

25 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Nala found herself nodding slowly along with Jaya as she explained the apparent nature of the various realities. "It is... Quite strange to realize that there is so much more to life than even our reality." Nala offered even as the mention of the other Orion echoed in her mind. "If this Kaalth is from before we made contact with others- I can only imagine how startling it must have been to find that not only were the Orions not the only intelligent species, but that your home wasn't even the only reality." She remarked softly, feeling slightly bad for this man separated so far from his own world, time, and Nala supposed, his people. Whether he was of their kind or not- with such a far removal of time and tradition, the Orions of his life, would be at times unrecognizable from the Orions of Jaya's.

Returning to the topic at hand, Nala raised a delicately arched eyebrow in response to her cousin. Jaya had control over this variant of their family's club? Not only that, but a reality where a woman didn't have to pretend to be something they weren't- a reality where Nala could have opinions? Was her cousin asking her if she wanted to go? Was the answer not apparent?

She listened attentively to her cousin as she explained all of the perks of this nexus between realities. "I have finished my most recent mission and it's relevant reports- Certainly if the syndicate sees it a suitable place to send me, I will be most pleased to join you." When her cousin remarked about this Kaalth again, Nala smiled playfully. "Tell me Cousin- Is there something you are trying to tell me? Is there a happy announcement from you in the near future?"
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"Oh, its stranger than you can imagine." Jaya said "There are even worlds where Terrans aren't the only sentient species on their planet, and others where the laws of physics can be violated through force of will. Its strange, and yet I've seen it happen." Jaya nodded "He'd been in the Hub several years when I got there, and yes, it had been very difficult for him. He didn't even have a universal translator, and he'd had to try to pick up Terran on his own, with nothing to help him. Poor guy couldn't even read-that was how long ago it was, people still thought that educating boys was a waste."

Jaya saw the expression on her cousin's face, and grinned "Excellent! I knew I could count on you. Now we just wait, and hope that the Syndicate approves the plan. If they do, we can go back and start spreading our influence all over the place. We'll be freaking legendary, Nala. Think about it."

Then Nala asked, well, if Jaya had any interest in Kaalth, and she froze for a moment. The question wasn't totally unexpected, but it was a tricky one to answer, since she needed to praise him, but not so much that she'd make Nala think she was interested. "Announcements? No, nothing like that. He's a good person, but honestly, he's like a brother, or a cousin or something." she grinned teasingly "Maybe you should take a look at him, once we get there. I think he likes red hair, or something."
Star Trek-AOS

25 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Nala raised both eyebrows out of surprise at her cousin's descriptions. Violating the laws of physics- and a single planet spawning more than one sentient species? They both seemed incredibly outlandish to her, though she knew her cousin better than to assume she was lying. Her surprise was dismissed when her cousin mentioned how far in the past Kaalth had come from. Her face swiftly filled with sympathetic disgust. "That's awful!" Nala replied automatically, her mind filling her brothers into that situation and trying to imagine how life would have been for them. With one of her brothers readying to marry, it was a particularly awful image to Nala.

She wrinkled her nose, surprised at herself for her desire to correct this man's lack of teaching. "Has he since learned?" Nala asked, rather seriously.

On the subject of them being legends, Nala smirked at her cousin. "Of course- I always knew we'd leave our mark on history." She replied, satisfied with herself- her cousin did know how to sell a mission in a way that made it sound to die for- Nala had been roped into terrible missions before because of it. And yet she never stopped falling for it.

She laughed at her cousin's comment. "And how exactly would you know he likes red hair? If you were indeed the only other Orion there- even if you weren't, it's not a terribly common colour. My father and brothers may have something to say about you trying to set me up- they have been working rather hard on that themselves."
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"I know." Jaya said, noticing her cousin's surprise "It seems almost impossible, but its true. And those aren't even the strangest things I've run into, believe me." she grinned "Believe it or not, I've even met Terrans who seem to be capable of acting like civilized beings."

"It does sound awful." Jaya agreed "You know that I'm not a men's rights radical, but honestly, after I talked to him, it wasn't hard to see why things needed to change. Not just for the man's sake, its better for the whole family." Jaya couldn't help but feel pleased by Nala's concern "He's learning, and making decent progress. Kaalth isn't dumb, he's just uneducated, but he's catching up. If you come back, maybe you could tutor him." the last said with a sly smile, thinking that Nala could use it as an excuse to spend time with Kaalth, as her copy had done.

Jaya realized that she had made an error-Kaalth hadn't wanted her to tell Nala about the copy-Nala, and she'd agreed, but she covered it easily "There was a girl who worked at the club for awhile who had red hair, he mentioned it then." when Nala mentioned that the menfolk might object, Jaya shrugged and said "Its up to you, but you should meet him first. I think you'll like him, and its not like they get the final say, is it?"
Star Trek-AOS

25 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Nala laughed unintentionally at her cousins remark- she had been so caught up in the act of reuniting with her that the redhead had forgotten how much she liked spending time with her. "You'll have to introduce me to some of them- sounds like a novelty." She replied with a smile, her muscles finally starting to relax as her mind and body accepted that her cousin was in fact alive- that Nala wasn't actually responsible for Jaya's death. It was a guilt that she had never thought she'd live down that was now lifting.

Nala nodded along with her cousin's reply- heart squeezing unintentionally for the poor man. "When I am not working I will be happy to- Have you given him a universal translator as well? Or should I set aside time to help with his Terran as well?" She said thoughtfully- perhaps she was being overeager- or a bit strange, considering she had never met the man, but Nala liked teaching- and his lack of education was an oversight that needed to be fixed regardless.

Nala simply rolled her eyes at her cousin- who was clearly trying to set her up. Nala had no reason to be against the potential of meeting a suitor- but it was still the kind of situation that made her want to sigh and lean her head into her hands. "Alright Jaya. Not that I needed more convincing to go to the hub if that was your goal."
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"I'll be glad to." Jaya replied, her tone teasing "As long as you promise to remember that some of them are my regular patrons. One in particular, and no, he isn't planning on buying me." her tone more serious, she continued "That is the biggest thing that I'm trying to persuade the Syndicate to do differently in the Hub. Terrans have all kinds of issues with owning sentient beings, but most of them have no issues with exchanging payment for coupling. Some of them prefer to think of it as giving gifts to show respect and affection for the person they are coupling with, which, well, its almost an Orion way of looking at things. Anyway, I hope that we will be allowed to rebrand ourselves as "Orion Dancing Girls". It won't change what we do for the Syndicate, we just won't be pretending to be slaves to do it." she finished, and waited for Nala's response. She respected her cousins opinions, even if she and Nala were, upon occasion, rivals.

"I'm sure he would enjoy that a great deal." Jaya said "I got him a universal translator, so you don't need to worry about language instruction. Just everything else, although he did have some grasp of mathematics already, even if he couldn't write any of it down. He's eager to learn, which helps, of course." as she spoke, Jaya began to hope that, if nothing else, giving lessons to Kaalth would put Nala in close proximity to the man.

"I thank you." Jaya teased "And I'm sure that you and Kaalth will thank me as well." she laughed "Please consider using "ja" as the first syllable of your eldest's name."
Star Trek-AOS

25 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Nala listened with fascination. "Yes- that's understandable. Though I'm not sure I believe you about him not wanting to buy you- what man could resist the urge to have you for himself alone?" She said with a grin and briefly raised eyebrow to make her point clear. The other woman would be no decent rival if she weren't so captivating- Nala was perfectly capable of recognizing that. "I'm all for not having to play the slave- but I've seen you convince terrans against that bias before so that's hardly an excuse."

Having given her requisite teasing, Nala leaned back in her chair and crossed her ankles while she thought. "It is a well thought out plan though. If a majority of this hub are Terran- we would do well to play along with their cultural anti-slavery bias. To do otherwise would likely alienate them from us rather than gather their interest. In all likelihood selling ourselves as slaves within such a place would likely end with a far higher chance for injury since only those who do not follow the rules of their society would purchase one of us." She said thoughtfully- It was almost too good of a plan. She was briefly annoyed that her cousin was the one who got to come up with it before reminding herself that her cousin was alive and she didn't care too much about the rest at the moment.

"If you need anyone else to voice support for such a plan I will happily do so." Nala offered in conclusion, sipping her drink while the conversation continued.

She smiled at her cousin's enthusiasm- misreading it as a similar desire to teach as Nala felt. Certainly not something she wanted to do her whole life- she liked her job- but it felt good to watch someone learn. "An eager student is the best kind yes." She offered with a slight chuckle before choking slightly on the liquid she was trying to swallow.

"Jaya." Nala managed after clearing her airway- entirely shocked by her cousin's audacity. Her other cousins were not nearly so meddlesome- and her brothers and father were far to polite to be so direct. Her shock turned to giggles while she added a further remark. "I have not yet met the man- Even if he is everything you say and more, I'd like to at least speak to him before picking out names for our children."
Star Trek-AOS

252 Posts
12 Threads
Job:
Katie

"I didn't say that he doesn't want to have me." Jaya replied with a little smirk "I just said that he doesn't want to buy me. Its odd, honestly. He goes on and on about how he doesn't want to exchange payment for se-for coupling, but whenever we meet, he always gives me a gift. Usually quite valuable as well. Its odd, for a Terran to do that, and yet there it is." Jaya didn't want to bring up her own feelings about the matter, or how she had to remind herself constantly that Remy wasn't an Orion, and he wasn't courting her. "I don't know if he'll ever want me to be exclusive with him, or even if that would be a good idea, I'll need to think about that. There could be some advantages, his family is well established and connected in the Hub."

"Thanks." Jaya said, glad her cousin had agreed "My mother agreed as well, which I hope will throw more weight behind the suggestion. If nothing else, the Orion Syndicate may agree to an experiment, it isn't as though what happens in the Hub will spill over into this universe. But we'll have to see, and in the meantime, I plan on enjoying my time at home."

"Be careful!" Jaya exclaimed as the coughing fit ended "If you choke to death I'll have to find someone else to bring with me to the Hub!" she rolled her eyes a bit at the protest and replied "Well, you'll find out soon enough. Hopefully." there was a chance that the Orion Syndicate could just shut the project down, or send a large group of experienced Orion Slave Girls to take it over, but Jaya was hoping that they'd decide to open the Hub up slowly, and decide to let her and Nala gather information to send back home.
Star Trek-AOS

25 Posts
2 Threads
Moon

Nala bit her lip to prevent herself from remarking about her cousin's slip of the tongue- Certainly she filed it away for future manipulation if she needed it- but Jaya was obviously confused from her time away from her own people. Instead she hummed in lieu of a reply to show that she was listening. Her cousin seemed to have thought through her stance on the possibilities- which said plenty about Jaya's thoughts on the matter.

"Of course. I too will be enjoying this time with family. I have been away for longer than I would like." Ever since her mourning period had been declared over by the syndicate in fact- though that wasn't a fact she felt the need to share with her cousin. For Nala to mourn over a cousin who wasn't even dead- was mortifying in retrospect- but her mind hadn't truly come to terms with Jaya being alive as it was.

Nala took a deep breath to recenter herself before she found herself shaking slightly. Clenching her hands, she stood up and gave Jaya one last hug with a soft smile that she forced her mouth to make. "I'm so glad to see you cousin- But unfortunately I haven't had a chance to wash recently so I must excuse myself to do that." She offered as nicely as she could manage before she took the opportunity to leave the room where she rapidly began to dissolve into tears.

Her youngest brother trailed behind her and helped her to the bathroom- for the best since she wasn't capable of doing much when she could barely keep her eyes open for crying.