June 27th
Marvel-616 Universe

101 Posts
5 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Contrary to popular belief, Steve isn't so stubborn as to not listen to good advice occasionally. That is why he takes the night to sleep on things before making any final decisions or confronting Mr. Stark.

The next morning Steve looks around his empty room. The only thing he came to the hub with is his shield and the clothes on his back, and that's the only thing he plans on taking with him.

He's leaving the mansion. In light of everything he's learned staying here and taking advantage of Mr. Starks hospitality just doesn't seem right. Besides he's sure there are other places in the hub he can stay at that aren't connected to Mr. Stark or the Avengers.

However, before he goes he should at least let Mr. Stark know he's going. Maybe he can even asked why he lied; about not being Iron Man and about being his friend. Steve's not sure if he wants to know the answer. Maybe instead of talking he can just find the answers in Christians comics.

Shouldering his shield Steve walks down the hall to Mr. Stark's room and knocks.
Marvel-616

157 Posts
4 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 213
The knock on his door startled Tony into wakefulness. It took him a moment to remember where he was, in the Mansion and the Hub.

He rolled out of bed, pulling on a shirt, and frowning slightly to himself as he wondered who it could be. The only person to stop by his room these days was Safi, but never this early in the morning. (Well, relatively early. Tony didn't always keep regular hours.)

When he pulled the door open, he did a double take. Not Safi, but Steve, standing rigidly with his arms crossed and his shield on his back.

Worse was the expression on his face. It was one Tony knew very, very well. One that had been burned into his memory several times over the course of the horrible past year. Steve looked undeniably betrayed. It looked deeply out of place on his youthful face.

"Cap," Tony greeted him shortly, hoping not to show that the bottom had dropped out of his stomach as soon as Steve's expression had registered. "What's going on? Is everything all right?"
Marvel-616 Universe

101 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

It is obvious that Steve is the last person that Mr. Stark was expecting when he opens the door, although he tries to play it cool. Everything thing Steve had planned to say to him dies on the tip of his tongue. His carefully sculpted speech gone the moment Steve looks at him.

Fresh waves of pain and betrayal crash over Steve. He truly hasn't known Mr. Stark for that long, but he had trusted the man. He had considered Mr. Stark a good man and Iron Man his best friend. More than that Iron Man was his hero for saving him from the ice. Finding out now that Mr. Stark is Iron Man, is like finding out that Santa Claus was really just his mom all along, only worse because he never considered Santa a close personal friend.

"You're Iron Man" he says, "why did you lie to me?"
Marvel-616

157 Posts
4 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

For several moments, Tony searched for something to say and came up completely blank. His mind was caught on the fact that Steve's look of betrayal had been exactly that, and with it came a terrible spiral of deja vu because it hadn't been that long ago that another Steve had been staring at him in the exact same way for the exact same reason. And that shield on his back? Had Steve come to hurt him?

And beyond that, he simply didn't have a good answer to Steve's question. There was the literal answer, which was that he had a secret identity in Steve's time. Then there was the more honest answer, which was that he hadn't wanted to change Steve's view of Iron Man before he'd had a chance to prove himself. When his Steve had made it all too clear what he really thought of the Tony Stark he'd come to know. (And maybe there was an even more honest answer lurking in there, one he hadn't quite acknowledged, which was that keeping Steve at arms length was far less painful than any alternative.)

"I--" he stopped, and stepped back out of the doorway. "I guess we need to talk. Do you want to come in?"
Marvel-616 Universe

101 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Mr. Stark didn't deny it. Steve had accused him of being Iron Man and he had just stood there. Some small part of Steve had been holding out hope that he was wrong, that Christian's comic books were inaccurate, but Mr. Stark's silence is all the confirmation he needs.

Mr. Stark steps to the side and invites him in to talk. This, Steve supposes, is the best he can hope for. He steps inside and awkwardly looks for a place to sit that isn't the rumpled bed. Finding none, he stands stiffly and crosses his arms tightly.

"Ok. Talk," Steve says.
Marvel-616

157 Posts
4 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Steve had his arms folded, his expression still stony. Tony did his best to ignore the hollow pit that had opened in his stomach. It hadn't gone like this the first time around. The first time around, Steve hadn't faulted him at all for keeping a secret identity. But then, the first time around, Tony hadn't been lying exclusively to Steve, and he'd actually had a reason.

"Okay. Talk.

Tony cleared his throat. "So, uh. I'm sorry." As Steve kept staring at him he went on awkwardly, "I should have told you sooner. I know that. As for the 'why'..." he trailed off, finding it impossible to hold Steve's gaze, not when all he could see was his own Cap's anger and betrayal. This was the last thing he'd wanted. "I was being selfish. Now that you know who I really am, that probably won't come as a surprise to you."
Marvel-616 Universe

101 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

At least Tony was being apologetic, not that it really stopped the hurt. It also didn't really answer his question and Steve suspected a lot of it had to do with whatever happened between Tony and the Steve of his time. Which isn't fair, Steve isn't that man yet and he doesn't appreciate being held up against the ghost of who he might become. It is hard enough fighting against the legend of Captain America without this added obstacle.

"But why didn't you tell me? Everyone else clearly knew" Steve says, "And you being selfish does come as a surprise to me. I barely know you! I've only even knew Iron Man for a few months"