237 Posts
10 Threads
Job: Rogue Superhero
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 751
Definitely Not in Kansas

Steve wasn't a magic user, or a thief, though he could be fairly stealthy. Ish. He had nothing on Clint or Natasha, but he could sneak up on a Hydra guard. That counted for something, he was sure. But he was better in a fight. And even better again when he had a shield. He could make sound judgement calls during battle. (They were better if his friends weren't directly involved.) He had some other skills as well; he knew what could be useful as tinder, how to start and maintain a fire, he could hunt if need be. He could draw and paint… He wasn’t useless, even outside of battle.

Returning to the cave, Steve was surprised to see the food Arjay had come prepared with. Steve ate quite a lot since the serum, especially when he was more active, or when he was hurt, but most people ate much less than he did even without the excess calories being burned. Maybe elves needed to eat more than humans. It was entirely possible.

Sitting down near the fire, steve chuckled at Arjay's words. "I have spent time in far worse places.” Steve's tone wasn't that of complaint but rather fond amusement. During the war. the Commandos would bed down wherever there was room for all of them. And sometimes, even where there wasn't enough room. Quietly, Steve chased those memories back while he carefully spitted the meat as Arjay had requested and set it up to cook. Arjay's condition worried Steve some, but the elf seemed calm and assured that he could overcome it, so Steve let his concerns go unannounced.

It would be rude to decline the food and drink, and besides that, Steve was hungry. He poured just a bit of the wine into wooden cup and took one of the fruit to try while the meat cooked. When the elf spoke of priests, gods, magic, and monsters, Steve listened carefully, trying to piece together what Arjay's world must be like. “So your magic is given to you by your god?" That was interesting, and maybe useful information. Looking at the fruit, Steve nodded, moving to take a small bite. "It's different, but good. Sweet."

“That’s not going away anytime soon.”
Dungeons and Dragons-Forgotten Realms

101 Posts
9 Threads
Job: Bard
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 307
Time in worse places, that idea made Arjay laugh, though the act left him coughing and scowling. “Remind me to take you to Calimport someday. It’ll make you long for the quiet simplicity of a cave in the middle of nowhere.” Truly a completely wretched city, that, no matter how impressive it was. “Of course, there was the week I spent posing as a slave in Thay, that was fairly horrific too. I’m forced to admit that my world has quite a lot of places I’m rather ashamed exist, but unfortunately you can’t stop people from being horrible, no matter how hard you hit them.” There was, after all, the Underdark, too…

The fact that Steve was interested in what his magic was was a pleasant surprise. The question, on the other hand, was difficult, since Arjay realized just how many frames of reference apart the two of them were. He held up a hand in an ‘eh, so-so’ gesture that seemed to be universal across dimensions. “A few things are,” he admitted. “There isn’t just one path to magic. Some magic is done by intellectually manipulating the weave of energy that permeates the world, as a wizard. Some are able to impose their will upon it to instinctively shape certain spells, generally in a more limited number of ways, and that is what I do. Others grow into a closer relationship with their god, and through their understanding of them, are granted spells directly by their god or goddess. I’ve often been told that I would have made a good priest, but it didn’t feel right. There are a few spells that I have learned to draw from her, my relationship to her is at least that good, but only a select few.”
Marvel-MCU

237 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Definitely Not in Kansas

As nice as it was to make Arjay laugh. Steve frowned at the coughing. The statement had been true; Europe during the war had been a downright unpleasant place. The mention of slavery had Steve's head snapping up, attention focused on the elf. Injustice and amorality always got Steve's attention; he couldn't just stand by and do nothing when he saw it, and hearing the elf’s words, well, that was a definite injustice that was happening in this Thay place, but being where they were, Steve (and Arjay) were helpless to do anything about it, and that grated on Steve. ”You’re right. People, no matter who or what or where they are, are always going to have those elements that allow at least some of us to be cruel, to be evil. No matter how hard we fight, there will always be darkness. But that doesn’t mean we stop fighting, because if good people do nothing, then the darkness wins.”

Magic was… Well, it was interesting. Was it like Gandalf in Lord of the Rings? Or was it something entirely different? Were they like prayers, if they came from gods? As Arjay spoke, Steve listened. He wasn’t the genius that Tony Stark was, but Steve was by no means an unintelligent man. (Even if he did stupid things sometimes, that didn’t actually make him stupid. Just human.) The weave of energy that permeates the world? That was something. “Like ley lines?” There’d been a book series that had used that term; Steve had enjoyed the series, it was amusing, and light… “So… She.. Is your god, and some of your magic comes from her, but some you can do because you can manipulate the energy that’s already there?”

“That’s not going away anytime soon.”

101 Posts
9 Threads
Mike

“Oh, of course it doesn’t mean we stop fighting,” Arjay said. “Sometimes, though, it’s time to take a step back and let the new wave of heroes manage things for a bit. The man who takes the brunt of things for too long… well, I’ve done that, and I don’t recommend anyone else do it. When you’re only fighting and not living, your perception of how things should be becomes… hm, skewed might be a good word for it, I suppose.”

Arjay took a deep drink of the spiced wine, feeling it burn its way down his chest, helping him relax. “Something like ley lines, I suppose. Ley lines… well, they’re not terribly useful, only when you’re trying to work something localized, like tying magic to a specific building or area. On my world, the entire world is permeated with the Weave, and from the weave, we cast our spells, we form our magic. We take the raw energy of the world and we form it into something useful, some specific form, when we cast our spells.” On the subject of the divine, though, Arjay hesitated. “Some spells, I’ve made a study of how the priests cast their spells, and I’ve learned enough to cast a few spells that they do. I can call down her power against my enemies, you saw me do that. She lets me perform very minor miracles, signs of power. I can call on her to protect me from creatures of evil. Those who pursue that path, though, have even greater abilities in those regards.”
Marvel-MCU

237 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Your perception becomes skewed, Arjay said. Was that what had happened to him? Should he, perhaps, have listened to Tony right from the start? Steve had to admit that it was possible that he'd lost perspective, that since he had woke up in 2012 things had changed. He had changed. He had definitely changed.

Truth be told, Steve didn't really understand everything Arjay said about magic and how it worked, but he got the gist of it. More like Lord of the Rings than some of the other high fantasy books he'd read. Taking raw energy and turning it into something useful... That sounded amazing, and reminded him of a few of the marvels he'd been introduced to since waking up. Some of the better ones. Like the arc reactor.

Gods and goddesses granting power to their followers. Wow. “We don’t have magic, not like that. We have stories, though, of people who can do those sorts of things."

101 Posts
9 Threads
Mike

“Yes, but where there are stories, there is likely history. Worlds change, sadly, and magic can die. If a world has never had magic, though, how would it have any concept of the idea?” To the elf, the idea was rather simple. Either they had once had magic, or they had come into contact with those who did have magic.

“Now… I think that’s been enough rest, let’s see if I can’t right myself,” Arjay said, taking a slow breath. Focusing on the task, he began quietly, melodically chanting, weaving his hand through the necessary gestures. The hand in question began to glow with a pure, piercing white light, which the elf then held to his chest. The light washed over his body in waves, and the elf fell back against the rock in relief. The blackness in his veins began to fade and his color began to return, particularly after he took a long drink from the spiced wine. “Sweet goddess, that’s better,” he sighed. “Nasty magic to be afflicted by, but it feels wonderful to purge it out. Once you’re feeling rested, we can be on our way again, if you like. Assuming I don't need to change the weather first, that is.” Because, naturally, it wasn’t as though they were stopped for Arjay’s sake, he was fit as a fiddle…