DC-DCTVU-1

552 Posts
24 Threads
Job: PA/Magician
Ship Status: Single with Complications
Sexual Orientation: Pan-Romantic
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,541
“I guess.. It’s not something I’d ever claim to have any real experience with?” Safi compared his tendency to be found by violent people, and to become their personal punching bag to an adventure, and Chris made a face at the comparison. “Okay, so if that’s what an adventure is, I suppose I’d rather not.” He shrugged, “And I’m always alone, so…. Yay for always being on the first step?”

Adventure. He thought back to college, and playing tabletop games. Always with a group, those. There were no ‘solo adventures’ in dungeons and dragons…. It sort of made him wonder what sorts of adventures Safi was thinking of…. “Where would be exciting? And what makes you think ‘that would be exciting - I’d do that’ because for me? I’m thinking you’d think what I thought was interesting or fun was boring.” For Chris, exciting was something nice, maybe something quiet, maybe just sitting on a beach and watching the tide come in. That sounded good. Maybe going to Las Vegas…. See that could be fun, with the games and the people, everyone so excited and so many possibilities swirling around…. So much energy in a place like that, but it’d be exhausting, too, being in that thick sort of atmosphere….

“Gotham is so not my idea of fun or exciting. But it’s where Belle is, which is why I go there. It’s not…. It’s not me looking for adventure. Or trouble. I definitely don’t look for trouble.”

Their life experiences were just so drastically different…. Chris didn’t talk about his childhood. He didn’t talk about the group home, not really. Oh, Belle, he’d met Belle there, and she was wonderful, the best person ever…. But overall? His experience had not been so good. Safi, on the other hand, had grown up with family. He was bigger and more assertive, and Chris knew that he wouldn’t have been the runt that got bullied in the group home. But Chris didn’t think that Safi would have been the bully, either. No, he’d have been…. He’d have been like Belle, only male.

The smile, slow and genuine, spread over Chris’ face at that thought, as it sunk in. Safi was a bodyguard because he protected people, like he had protected Chris on the train to Gotham. “Your experiences with other people were positive, right? In which case, no, I don’t think you would be…. I mean, there’s a difference between privacy and being alone. Alone is…. Lonely. Or it can be. But having a space of your own? That’s good. Doesn’t need to be huge, doesn’t need to have nobody, just needs to be yours, you know? That’s not lonely, that’s…. Just nice.”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Job: Bodygaurd
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,938
“Ok what do you think of adventure than?” He wondered aloud, before being asked the same question. “Because most people seem to think my career is very adventurous.” There was something..dark in his eyes. Safi was good at his job, he'd been an excellent soldier, tactician, and he'd be lying if he said that there was a lot of it he missed.

What he hadn't enjoyed was the constant fight between his morals and the orders he was given the better he became.

Safi had killed. But he was not a man that took life easily.

“I love skydiving.” That was a nice normal bridge between his skills and ‘normal’ people hobbies right? “Always wanted to go kayaking, someday down your Grand Canon.” Maybe in the summer...Rachel was still a bit small but she might enjoy camping.

‘Your experiences with people have been positive-’ the unassuming statement shouldn't have triggered the reaction it did. Maybe it was because he was already thinking about his years in service the things he'd seen and not agreed with…

He didn't pale as sense memory tried to make him believe he was back in that stinking basement. He didn't flinch as his mind's eye recreated the flashing blade cutting-

“Mostly.” He smiled, one he'd tried on in the mirror in the months and years since. Almost real. “Sure. Privacy is always good.” His voice sounded hollow to his own ears, but it always did at these times.

“Soju?” He grinned snagging the iPad from Chris “they have a ton of flavored ones, been wanting to try.”
DC-DCTVU-1

552 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

What did he think of adventure? Chris considered how to answer, “Anything new, really. I mean…” he grinned, “I’ve never been to Las Vegas. Or even Reno. That would be an adventure. Large crowds, games I’ve never played, a new place… Disneyworld for a lot of the same reasons, too.” His tone grew more contemplative as he continued, though, “Camping. Camping is entirely an adventure, no matter how many times you do it. I’ve love to go see the mountains, go hiking, maybe visit Yellowstone…” Chris didn’t come off as being all that athletic, but he was very fit and in shape, and honestly? Walking through trails and woods, seeing animals he couldn’t just go to a park in the city and see? For him, that was adventure, and that was fun. “Your career sounds more…” Shrugging, Chris looked down at the ipad in his hands, “Dangerous and awfully somber.” He sighed, “And I cannot for the life of me imagine doing what you did before you worked at Lexcorp to be fun.”

He was trying to be honest, and at the same time, trying not to offend Safi, or judge him. Soldiers had necessary jobs, yes. And he was sure that some people would enjoy every aspect. But Safi? No, Christian didn’t think so. Safi seemed like a protector, and while that certain fit some of what being a soldier meant, it wasn’t all of it.

Skydiving? Chris considered it, turning the idea over in his mind before committing to a response, giving it the thought it deserved, “I’d try that. Dangerous, but not more dangerous than taking the train or bus, I think.” Chris laughed, “Canoeing! Or white water rafting. With camping.” He was nodding at the idea; he liked camping, he liked it a lot, even if he did prefer to live in the city, being able to go out and be ‘one’ with nature, see the sky full of stars and watch animals? Yes, he loved it.

Chris noticed almost immediately that he’d said the wrong thing. Safi didn’t get angry, but he had obviously had less than positive experiences, too. Chris moved closer, but he didn’t so much as reach out to touch Safi, instead filling the gap between them with words even as Safi went mostly quiet, his eyes taking on that far away look that Chris’ own sometime did… “Like I said,” he went on even as Safi just sort of half responded, “I grew up in a group home, and I was… Smaller. The runt, I guess. Made me an easy target, just like it does now, too, but I’ve never been one for fighting, and… Well that only made me an easier target. Mostly I just always wanted to read or study or make my toys, and the bigger kids wanted to prod and poke me into being normal. I tried, you know, but I’m not so great at normal, so it was… Difficult. Belle, though… She always helped. Even after she got adopted when we were six and we weren’t living in the same place, her mama would let her visit, and encouraged me to come by after school, and I did, because… It was so much better being there than at the Home.”

The grin shook Chris more than the silence, though. Safi never smiled like that, it was all the smaller, harder to catch sorts of smiles, not this… Whatever it was. “Uh.. Hm? Sure, sure. We can order a few and share ‘em…”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Disney world? Safi’s eyebrows shot up in surprise: “Well I've promised Sarah to go this summer when she visits-” wait was he implying that Chris was invited?

...well maybe. As a friend. They weren't anything else so he wasn't even potentially lying to his daughter.

“Exciting. Necessary. But no rarely fun.” He admitted quietly.

More dangerous than taking a bus? He barked out a surprised laugh, “yeah especially not for you.” Considering that Safi had the suspicion that Chris could get his ass beat crossing the road TO a bus.

His nose flared, picking up the phantom scent of burning flesh, the stink of released sphincters. He could hear Chris revealing more of his own backstory.

“Sometimes fighting back is the only way to win.” Safi’s voice didn't quaver he had worked hard in the years to keep his outward signs to a minimum.

“Good.” Safi hit send on their order pulling out the karaoke book, half reading. “What kind of music do you listen to?”
DC-DCTVU-1

552 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Sarah, Safi’s daughter. The man hadn’t spoken much of his family but Chris tended to pay attention, especially when he liked the person who was doing the talking. And Chris liked Safi. So he knew that Rachel was the ex-wife, and he knew that Sarah was his daughter.

Wait. Did Safi just invite him to go to Disney World with him and his daughter? He looked over at the other man for a moment, trying to figure that out, because… Yeah, that sounded an awful lot like an invitation to Chris. Like, if he’d known Safi longer, or better, or had any idea what the rules of their relation-no, not that-friendship was, he would definitely say that Safi had just said they should go to Disney World this summer. With his daughter. Which… See now, that was completely mixed signals!

Exciting, yes, Chris would see room to agree for that word to describe what Safi had done before joining Lexcorp, but he had thought that Safi would agree that it wasn’t fun.

Especially not for him? He knew what Safi meant by that, and he frowned slightly. “I meant that busses get into accidents…” He said the statement with a quiet sigh, not bothering to waste his breath with an argument. Because really, Safi wasn’t entirely wrong in the assumption they both knew he’d made.

The moment he realized something was off, it took him very little time to put together what that might be. Chris suffered from anxiety attacks, not all that often, but from time to time, and he recognized the tiny signals as much as he did the larger ones. He moved closer as he spoke, just slowly scooting over on the couch he was now sharing with Safi, but not touching. Some people responded badly to being touched when they were like this, and Chris… Just wanted to help.

“Huh? Oh, well… That’s where you and I differ, though, isn’t it? I think that sometimes it’s not about winning.” He gave Safi a tentative smile, not quite bashful, but shy nonetheless, knowing his outlook differed from the other man’s, and not sure how welcome it would be to have that pointed out. “I just… I don’t think that hurting someone else to protect yourself or someone else is wrong I just… Can’t.” He watched Safi, watched his breathing… He didn’t ask if Safi were okay; he knew the answer was no, but also knew that Safi would probably say he was fine, and Chris would prefer not to provoke Safi to lie to him. He sat close, very close, letting Safi know he was there, letting him know that this was real, that Safi wasn’t alone.

He let Safi keep up his distractions, and Christian let him, hoping it would help him overcome the...whatever this was. “Oh, all kinds, really. Depends on my mood, and the song. I listen to a little bit of everything.” He looked at the book that Safi was flipping through, “To sing, though… That’s different. Mostly jazz or rock… Alternative or classic, and again, depends on the song. You?”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

For an instant fury rippled through him; it was people that refused to act, defend even themselves let alone someone else were the reason for so much fucking suffering and death. Lack of ability? He could understand but not the willful blindness that allowed them to say so blithely that they'd never fight.

For any reason.

His fingers tightened on the book cover, plastic pages crinkling under the pressure; “Nice that you can live like that.” He growled, facde cracking.

Taking a deep breath Safi attempted to recenter himself, the burst of rage had at least served to help break him out of the flash back or at least push it to the background. “Jazz? I didn't think you could sing to that? Isn't it just music?”
DC-DCTVU-1

552 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Plenty of people might think that Christian were a coward for his unwillingness to be violent. They might view him as incompetent in a fight, too, but that wasn't really the case. He knew how to take a blow and minimize the damage he took. He knew how to dodge if it were a situation where he could and then run. But to actively do someone harm?

That made him feel ill.

Chris was far from a stupid man. He noticed the tension, he could see the shift in Safi at his confession, and he braced himself. Safi was a good person; Chris believed that entirely, and he trusted Safi more than he trusted most…. but Chris wasn't a trusting person. He'd been hit when someone was a lot less angry than Safi seemed now, and that…. sometimes the hurt came far less from the physical blow then it did the emotional one.

Christian seemed to almost deflate at Safi’s growled words, his head bowing and eyes focusing on the floor in front of him. Part of him wanted to stand and flee, not from danger but from the.. the anger Safi felt. Anger he had caused. “Not really.” How many times had Safi seen him with a new bruise or a tender spot he tried to hide? It was a horrible way to live and Chris knew it. He acknowledged it. “It's…” he sighed, “Hard to explain.”

Chris didn't move from the penitent position he'd placed himself in, he didn't want to upset Safi further, and he wasn't sure if the other man would continue to be angry with him about his belief. But Safi changed the subject and Chris mumbled his response quietly without looking up, “Sinatra’s music is jazz… I like Sinatra.”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Sinatra is jazz?” Safi’s fingers curled and uncurled spasmodically, music wasn't something he knew a lot about at least not to put songs in their proper categories.r

Was he deflecting? Yes. He was trying very very hard to not vent his anger on Chris. “You don't have to explain your personal philosophy.” He ground out. The door opening with their finger foods and liquor.

“Here.” He slid over the first bottle, his smirk was a touch hollow, but he was working on it. “Pretty sure I'm older than you kid. So you get to pour.” He might not know music but working with NATO forces he'd learned a ALOT about drinking from around the world. And in Korea the youngest pours for the elder.
DC-DCTVU-1

552 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

“Big band jazz.” Chris said with a slight bob of his head that indicated a nod more than actually being one. His lips twitched, but the smile was a ghost on his face. He could still tell that Safi was angry, and he knew he’d caused it.

Everything about Chris, how he sat, his posture, the downward cant of his head, how his shoulders bowed toward each other, it was an apology. Safi was angry, and Chris didn’t want him to be angry. He wanted things to be better, to be good. He should have just gone home, and then this wouldn’t have happened. Too much time spent with him, and everyone got angry. And he knew that. “I…” He cocked his head without lifting it, just so he could see Safi’s face. Still angry. Oh yeah, definitely definitely still angry. His voice was soft, another apology even without speaking the words, “You’re angry.” Chris sighed, “I’ve been hurt enough to know what it feels like, Safi. I’d rather not do that to someone else, especially just to save myself from it.” His eyes slid to the floor, “I know what I can handle, and I’m not as weak as people think I am.” Small, sure, but he wasn’t weak.

Still, even as he spoke about what he could take, he reached for the ribs that were no longer bruised, “And I know when someone else is going to be hurt way more than I would be.” Christian’s expression changed at that, and he nearly glowered. That mugger would have seriously hurt that poor woman if Chris hadn’t interfered, and he’d known that at the time. He didn’t regret the split second decision to put himself in harm’s way to save her the same beating he’d taken.

Safi slid over the bottle, and Chris didn’t say much as Safi spoke and told him to pour. He didn’t argue, his posture didn’t shift any, but he took the cups provided with the beverage and poured for Safi first, setting it in front of the other man, and then pouring for himself. Chris didn’t know the tradition that Safi was pulling from; he knew that Safi had told him to pour, establishing the command by stating age, and Christian wanted very much to please Safi. So he poured, glancing up to make sure he’d done as expected once he was finished.
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

He wasn't letting this go. “Leave off.” He growled shooting the rice liquor back. “I'm not going to hit you.” What kind of hypocrite would that make him.

Safi rolled his shoulders, the well fit holster moving with him, “That's fine for you.” He isn't object to pacifism but- “A man that will not fight for the ones that can't-” Safi shook his head. “That's a privilege that others pay for.”
DC-DCTVU-1

552 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Chris blinked at the command, his jaw clenching. He stayed silent right up until Safi said he wouldn't hit him. “I never said you would.” His voice was rough, “But you know being hit isn't the worst thing in the world. This,” he thrust a hand to the space between them, “I don't like people being angry. Especially with me. And I'm not saying you don't have the damn right to be, but I don't have to like it either. But I won't harp on it.”

Heaving a hard sigh, Chris actually did let it drop. He wasn't looking to fight with Safi, even just verbally. He had tried to give the man space and all that had seemed to do was make it worse.

And then Safi insulted Chris. It was far, far worse than being hit. Christian jerked away at the implication, eyes narrowing even as his breath grated through gritted teeth. “Seriously?!” Every muscle in the smaller man was tense now, his voice tight with hurt and insult. “You've known me…. Jesus!” Hands balled, Chris settled them gently at his sides, even angry he wasn't violent. “Just…. apparently you don't know me at all!” He wished Safi would have just hit him. This felt awful!

“How do you think I hurt my ribs, Safi?” He all but hissed the question. “He was high. I could smell it on him from across the goddamned street! She was just a little thing, and he was high and desperate. And violent. And he hit me hard enough to bruise my ribs. No control. He wasn't even making demands! If he'd hit her..” Chris was breathing hard, he was upset, and nearly gasping, “Don't tell me what.. No, I don't fight! I don't hurt people. The idea…. I can't. But that doesn't mean I do nothing!”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Blinking some of the anger bleeding into confusion Safi shook his head. “Based on what you've said in the past; I assumed another run in with Gotham’s lowest.” What was he saying now? Because Safi was fairly certain that till a few seconds ago Chris was making it clear he wouldn't fight even for someone else.

Raising a hand, thumb and forefinger of the other pinching the bridge of his nose; “English isn't my third language; and I swear with you I really regret not learning it better. So I ask clearly: when you see someone that needs defense what do you do?”
DC-DCTVU-1

552 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

It wasn’t as though Christian were a man who was subject to rages. No no, when he grew upset, it was evident, and there was always a direct cause for it. For the most part, it was hard to get Chris angry or worked up, but this? Oh yes.

To say that he didn’t step up, to say he didn’t take responsibility to help others… Yeah, that made Chris pretty damn angry. He tried, he did what he could. But… What, because he refused to do violence to others, Safi thought that he was useless? That… It hurt. He wouldn’t hurt someone else to protect himself, or even really another, but that didn’t mean he would stand by and let someone else get hurt, either!

”English isn’t my third language; and I swear with you I really regret not learning it better.”

Safi had learned two other languages before English?

Oh. OH. Damn. Chris considered the words, then the question, and then took a deep, steadying breath, making the decision to not stay angry. To give Safi the explanation he was asking for, and let him decide from there. That was fair. Safi was asking because he was confused, and Chris couldn’t keep holding it against him if he didn’t understand, right? Right.

Right.

“If someone is being hurt and I see it? I’ll remove them from the situation if I can.” He watched Safi, watching for his reactions, “You’re not entirely wrong about my ribs, Safi… I was walking from the train to my sister’s apartment in Gotham. I heard a woman crying, asking for help, and…” He shrugged, the movement easier than it had been before Ms. Zatara had healed his ribs, “She was being… Mugged, for the moment, at least, but like I said, he was high. And he was working himself into a frenzy, and she was… She was defenseless.” He shifted, “So I… Told him to let her go.”

His voice went soft, almost a murmur, “I stepped between them. She was smaller than me, and I’m not a large man, Safi, but I do know how to take a blow, and she pretty obviously didn’t. She ran, and got herself to safety. I ended up with bruised ribs, but that would have done a lot more harm to her than it did to me, and I know how to take care of myself with them, and she’d have ended up with hospital bills on top of it…” He sighed, not all harm was physical, after all. “So no, I don’t fight. I didn’t hit the guy. I chose not to harm him, even if he were harming me, but I didn’t do nothing, either. I couldn’t have just stood by or walked away… But I didn’t have to hurt anyone to help her, either.”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Yes he had learned two other languages in school before English; Hebrew, Arabic, than English. He also could fake Russian fairly well.

So yes he was admitting that perhaps it was his grasp of the language that was causing the misconception; at least he was willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

Forehead crinkling in concentration, Safi listened, half way through his expression lightened, a small smile curling at his lips. “Ok.” He slung an arm around Chris’s shoulders pressing a friendly kiss to his temple. “That is different.” There was more physical affection between men in his culture, it didn't have the same always sexual taboo status that it did in the west. And since he was marking Chris as less than interested in casual sex Safi felt comfortable relaxing his own standards back to what was natural for him.

“This is not what I heard. I heard that you would watch and do nothing than fight.”
DC-DCTVU-1

552 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Okay, so honestly? That was rather damn impressive. It took Chris a moment or two to get over his anger, because yeah, being accused of being complacent with people getting hurt was nearly as bad as actually hurting people, but Chris worked at it. It was not Safi’s fault that he had misunderstood what Chris had been trying to say, and it was entirely fair to ask him to clarify, too!

He explained the best way he could think of. It wasn’t easy; he was trying to figure out how to word his way of thinking, of acting, of living, in a way that someone who spoke English well, but sometimes misunderstood would understand clearly.

The smile, small as it was, was encouraging. It was a whole lot better than the anger he’d seen on Safi before, that was for sure! The kiss, however, was unexpected, a surprise, but a nice one. Safi liked to send some very confused signals, that was definite. Still, Christian relaxed into the affection; he’d grown up without any real affection like this from anyone other than… Well, from anyone other than Belle, really. It was absolutely wonderful on an unheard of level to just… It was easy to relax with that; and so relax was exactly what Christian did.

Men didn’t typically show affection like this in his culture? Well, they were alone in a room, and Christian liked it, so who cared?? Not him!

“That is not what I meant.” He frowned slightly in thought as he considered Safi’s words, “I could never just watch someone else be hurt, Safi.” He would never do violence to someone, but that didn’t mean he had no way to help someone, either. “I don’t understand the people who can.”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“I don't either.” Hence his anger; there was a lot that he didn't care if you did or didn't do. But one thing he couldn't forgive was the person that simply turned a blind eye to harm. ‘Not happening to me, doesn't concern me.’ Wasn't a attitude he could be friends with.

But- “The man that stands in front of the bullet is as brave as the one that fires back-” Safi poured for them both handing over his shot. “Stupid, but brave. You've only got one life and bullets are cheap.” He clarified his position with a smirk.

“Now...singing!” He flipped through the catalogue more intently; letting out a quick almost humorless bark of laughter before inputting his selection.
DC-DCTVU-1

552 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Some people might say that Christian lacked survival instinct, but that wasn't really true. He had a drive to survive, but it wasn't just the selfish need to live that he possessed; he also had a perhaps more than was healthy need to help others in danger. Just because something would hurt him or place him in danger didn't mean he could or would stand by and let it happen to someone else because at least it wasn't him.

He didn't see it as bravery or bravado. He saw it as just…. it was doing the right thing. Nothing more or less. And when Safi called it brave, Chris snorted quietly, “Stupid is more accurate I think…” Chris sighed, “But if you know the other person would die, or be hurt worse, and you aren't going to die…” then why would you let it happen? To save yourself pain? Not good enough.

Chris didn't argue when Safi went first. He let the man do as he pleased, picking out his song while Chris sat back and drank the drink Safi had poured before refilling both their drinks again.

The choice in songs surprised Chris, not because Safi might listen to something like this, but to sing it…. and it sounded so sad, so haunting…. Chris didn't know the language, but the video that played on the screen told the story clearly enough.

It near to broke Christian’s heart…

Is that what happened between Safi and his wife?? If it was…. no wonder Safi was so…. guarded. And odd with how he acted. Odd wasn't exactly the right word though was it? No. The man sent more mixed signals than Chris had thought even possible. Saying he didn't like Chris and then dancing with him. And kissing him. And his actions on the train…. That thought sent a small shiver through Chris. He'd never been...protected like that. Not like that. Taken care of… only Belle had ever taken care of him before.

He wasn't smiling, but he watched and listened to the song, to Safi, without moving or speaking or otherwise distracting either of them from the song. And when Safi was done, Chris looked at him, eyes wide, “That…. That was..” he shook his head, at a loss for words for once.
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

It was the story if his marriage, he like the husband had thought they had been happy, content. Not seeing that she was so profoundly unhappy. It was his fault. If he'd been a better man, a more attentive husband, paid her more attention than perhaps she wouldn't have needed to find her happiness in other men.

At least that was what his depressive side told him. When he was angry he viewed her actions very differently.

‘You have to find a different way of loving me…’

He shook his head, he HAD loved her, but it hadn't been enough.

As he let the last notes die, Safi snorted at Chris’s nonsense. “Popular a few years ago back home.”

And sometimes he'd never admit too, he wished that she'd shown her love when it had been there...if it ever really had been real.

“You’re up next. Or do you have to be drunker?” He chuckled eyeballing the fruit flavored soju “blueberry, yes I'm. Curious.” He poured ten both a new shot. “So jazz?”
DC-DCTVU-1

552 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Christian had no way of knowing if the story of the relationship in the song held any real resonance with Safi’s life and marriage, but he suspected that it was possible that it did. Why else would Safi sing it? More than that, he didn’t picture his friend as the husband in the story, but rather in the situation of the wife, unhappy, not because he wasn’t in love or didn’t care for his spouse, but because the spouse was hurting him. Cheating. He didn’t understand that, either.

It wasn’t the song that had Christian at a loss, it was the idea that it wasn’t just a song for Safi that tore at Chris the way it did. Safi brushed off the song as something that had been popular where he was from, and Christian nodded, letting it go at that too-simple explanation. He wasn’t going to force Safi to acknowledge anything further, even if he suspected something more was there. Not all harm was physical.

“Drunker?” Chris chuckled, shaking his head, “You’d prefer me to slur the lyrics?” The smile he beamed at Safi was genuine and amused, “It’s just us, Safi, and you’ve already sang.” Still, he didn’t hesitate to pull back the shot that Safi poured, “Jazz first. But not everything I sing is Jazz.”

He had the song in his head, and it didn’t take him long to flip through the book to find it; it wasn’t an unpopular song, even if it weren’t newer. Frank Sinatra was always popular, and Under My Skin was one that even if most people didn’t know it, they could recognize it.

Christian had a surprisingly good voice, and Sinatra’s range fit him quite well. When he sang, the southern accent that he had all but trained out of his voice while speaking gave his voice just a slight lilt, softening even the sharper words.

“I've got you under my skin.
I'd tried so not to give in.
I said to myself: this affair never will go so well.”

It really was Jazz, the big band and vocal sort, and it suited Christian. He preferred this genre to listen to, though singing, sometimes he went other places… He didn’t belt the words out, and he didn’t murmur, he sang, voice wrapping around the words to enounciate them.

When the song was over, he grinned to Safi, his eyes bright and wide, “Jazz.”
DC-TV-1

414 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“That's the tradition isn't it?” Safi’s smile was all in the crinkling around his eyes, his lips didn't express his amusement, not when he was really amused.

“Getting drunk enough that you stop caring about your voice?” When Chris queued up his song Safi leaned back resting the plate of seafood pancake on his abs, picking pieces off as Chris sang.

“Unless of course you sing like that.” Safi snorted rolling his eyes, tossing a bottle cap at Chris’s head. “Right. Of course you can sing. Don't tell me you are also sharpshooter.” Because that would be the cake if he was better than Safi at that too.

“That is not what I thought was Jazz.”

Tearing a strip of pancake off with his teeth, to free up his hands to look for his selection. “Here that is jazz.” He pulled up ‘All of me.’ Downing a shot during the opening.