DC-TV-1

413 Posts
10 Threads
Job: Bodygaurd
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,930
Safi’s eyebrows shot up; “My mother makes orange almond cake for my birthday.” He rebuked mildly “-with orange cream for the record.” He was Trying to ignore the fact that he was basically wearing his heart on his sleeve and Safi’s quips were drawing blood without him meaning to.

Because really if he was going to destroy someone he'd feather it be intentional.

He wasn't going to play this game; the tiny hints of humor that had crept back his stony facade. He didn't owe this guy a run down of his injuries, which were not as extensive as some of his unit mates he'd taken more than his fair share.

Instead - “I can respect your not wanting to have your injury affect your work-” he began with practiced calm. “That how ever does not negate my concern over your wellbeing.”
DC-DCTVU-1

552 Posts
24 Threads
Job: PA/Magician
Ship Status: Single with Complications
Sexual Orientation: Pan-Romantic
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,536
Christian met Safi’s eyes. Orange almond? That didn’t even sound… ”Well, the orange part sound delicious?” The smile he gave Safi was almost… Like a trial sort of smile, like Chris was trying it on to see if it was okay. He still hurt, Safi’s comments about his sister had gotten under his skin, had bothered him more than he liked to admit, even to himself. They were frightening with just how easily, how confidently, Safi said them. The man spoke of winning over Belle, taking the single person that was on his side away, so… Easily.

The fact that Safi was now almost pointedly ignoring the topic was also not noticed. Yeah, telling someone that they aren’t good enough for your sister no matter how gorgeous or charming they were was probably not the best way to make friends or make headway with… Whatever this very strange, very out of place conversation was.

Because really, what was this?

Was this really his life now? Capes coming to his rescue in Gotham and walking him home on the weekend and bodyguards who didn’t even like him coming to grill him on his injuries when the work week started? Was this really what he had to look forward to??

Okay, so The Artemis coming to rescue him had been pretty damn nice.

And the way Safi almost seemed to actually care was…

Nope.

He was not even going there. Not even a little bit. This man didn’t even like him a little bit. He hadn’t even tried to pretend to like him. This man who was now all but glaring at him again. ”Why?!” Christian stood even as he asked the question; it wasn’t as easy as he’d have liked. He wanted to curl up on the couch in his office and just… Take a nap. That sounded so much better than anything else he could think of. ”Why do you even care?” the question sounded just a little bit too loud to his ears, but he didn’t stop as he jabbed a finger at Safi, ”You don’t even like me!”
DC-TV-1

413 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Why?

Safi just blinked at him.

He was really asking that? Like that? Of him? Now? Like this??

Dear god what drugs was he on? That he thought it was ok to expose himself like this?

“Because I'm not a complete dick?” If he sounded incredulous it was because he was.

“It's not like I hate you either!” Safi leaned back in his chair explosively “just because I turned down the damn pie!”
DC-DCTVU-1

552 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Yes, Chris was really asking that. He was asking because Safi baffled him. He rolled his eyes, even cringed when Christian came into the same general area, he grew stony and just a touch snarly when Chris called him by the nickname he’d given him. There was nothing, not even the tiniest hint that Safi might give the slightest damn about him, and yet today, the man had yanked him into a supply closet to grill him about his injury. Which wasn’t even obvious. Which meant Safi had watched him.

So yeah. Why? Why the sudden interest in Chris’ well being? Why the concern for someone he seemed to loathe?

Because you didn’t have to be a total ass to not care about someone else. Even good people just generally didn’t give a crap about people they didn’t know or like. ”They aren’t mutually exclusive! You don’t have to be a complete dick to not care.” Christian was speaking from experience; not all of the foster homes he’d had had been abusive, but most of them had been neglectful; it came from knowing you weren’t going to have a kid for very long, that this wasn’t permanent, don’t get attached. It came from taking care of too many kids at the same time, it was hard to keep track of them all.

Not like he hated him… Christian snorted, reaching to pick up his briefcase. ”You loathe me.” And then he made a small, irritated sound when Safi blamed the pie. It was not the pie’s fault. ”This,” he all but hissed, ”Isn’t about the goddamned pie.” He turned, glaring at Safi, ”This,” he jabbed the hand that wasn’t holding the briefcase at the bigger man, ”Is about how you cringe when I’m in line of sight. About how you just about snarl when I call over to you. About the fact that I’ve taken to avoiding you so you don’t have to deal with me. You. Don’t. Like. Me.” Each word was pointed, but, not angry. He might almost look angry, but he wasn’t. ”And that’s fine.” the smile Christian offered Safi was genuine, and even a touch arm, ”But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t weird me out when someone who doesn’t like me starts… This sort of thing. The pie…” he sighed, ”I was just trying to be nice. To maybe make things just a little bit… Better. Because we both still have to work here. A piece of pie won’t make someone like me, but it might make things a little more tolerable for you. And for me too, maybe. Or so I thought, before I found out you don’t like pie.” Which was why he’d asked about cake. Because food…

Food was love. ”And if you didn’t like cake I might have cried because that would have been just so very sad… But then I’d have asked about lasagne, because I make one hell of a lasagne.”
DC-TV-1

413 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Yes he watched him, Safi’s job was in a very large part to be observant, not just a for external threats but also the various employees that had contact with Mr. Luthor. A divination in habits could mean they had been compromised.

So yes he watched.

If he watched the little man closer than others it was because he did irritate him, that his bouncing horrifically styled form pulled the eye like a peacock proudly displaying its plumage would.

“You call me a girl's name, intentionally mispronounce my name, disrespect me and my heritage, my family, my race. I've given you the benefit of the doubt that your not intentional racist. And yes I don't like you.” Safi ended his tirade with a long drawn on breath nostrils flaring.

“But-” he continued “That does not mean I should react as though you are anything other than one of God’s precious creatures. So I will care what happens to you, when someone maliciously harms you because that is wrong. I cannot undo the injury but it is in my power to help mitigate the damage moving forward.”
DC-DCTVU-1

552 Posts
24 Threads
Nyte

Truth be told? Christian didn’t have a lot of respect for the bodyguard pool. Oh, most of them were competent enough, but they tended to be dull, boring people. Most of them avoiding him, and he was more than happy to let them, because really, they were… Tedious.

He didn’t feel entirely like that with Safi, though really, Chris was pretty sure that was because Safi was nicer looking than the rest of them. Yeah… It was true, but not entirely fair. The other bodyguards couldn’t help that they just weren’t as pretty as Safi was.

”I do not… I don’t mispronounce your name.” the words were spoken quietly, brown eyes wide and incredulous. ”I gave you an entirely different name.” He couldn’t argue the girl’s name part, because Sophie typically was a girl’s name. But Christian hadn’t meant it to be disrespectful, either… Not at all, and in fact, the fact that Safi had thought he was, that he apparently had been made his stomach twist. No one ever said anything about his nicknames… They just… Accepted them. But did everyone feel the way Safi had? And just… Overlook the little man being stupid because he was just… Him?

God’s precious creatures. Well that was a new one. He hadn’t been called that since he’d been… Nine? And the old ladies at church called him things like that. And Safi, this pretty but mean man was reminding him of the old ladies at church from when he’d been a kid. Ugh. Things better left forgotten, really. ”Because I’m one of God’s creatures.” the tone was flat and out of place coming from Christian, who was nearly always bubbly. He sighed, shaking his head, ”It’s wrapped and stable. And I’ll be careful.” Christian didn’t quite look up, but his tone was apologetic, ”I’m sorry, Mr. Wassem,” and boy did that sound just so formal, but he wouldn’t take the chance, minute as it was, that he mispronounce Safi’s first name today. He knew he could pronounce the surname perfectly, though.

His nicknames were disrespectful. That… He hadn’t ever considered that. He wondered how much Gig- George must hate him… Standing up, Christian held the briefcase in both hands, clutching it as though to steal strength from it, ”I never meant you, your family, or your heritage any disrespect.” More formality, but that was better than making things worse. If that was even possible. ”I should probably get the order in for lavender fabric. And the cake with all of it’s…” there was a wrinkle of his nose again, ”Fondant.” Really, the girl had absolutely no taste. Probably got that from her mother.
DC-TV-1

413 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

That...that was suppose to make it better?? “That doesn't make it better.” He said flatly. Incase it wasn't clear. Because it really didn't.

….

Safi sighed deeply. He was getting the feeling that about three quarters of what he said was intentionally or otherwise ignored.

It was irritating.

Because now the little man was beating a retreat and he was trying to ignore the worm of guilt attempting to wiggle its way down his belly.

“I need to get to work too.” Giving the guy a half decent exit seemed to be the only thing that he could do.

Nodding once to the apology and reversion onto his formal last name.