Harry Potter-Main Universe

4 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 178
There was one question that had been plaguing Oryn for days, one that he had needed to find an answer to: Was magic universally applicable, or would he be powerless in another world? It had literally left him sleepless for days, but when he had stepped through to this world, he’d found his powers still intact, his magic still potent. Oh, some of his spells felt like they took more out of him to cast, this was true, but that meant that he was simply going to need to be careful, to be smart about his magic, and when had he not been smart?

Still, the key was, he knew, to understand magic in other worlds. These other worlds weren’t, of course, his own, and he knew he’d be a fool to stray too far from his real place of power, but what did magic have in common in the worlds where it was prevalent? Some worlds (few, granted, but some) his powers didn’t work, he’d found that out, of course, but those where it did, he needed to understand, because what if those worlds had just learned different lessons in magic than his? What understandings of his own world’s magics might it unlock for him? It bore researching, and so he had done so. A few questions, a little digging, and he’d been set on a quest in some strange world, far different from his own, where his powers, though altered somewhat, seemed even stronger.

It was, he realized, a scene that would have been perfect for a book, or one of those muggle shows on the big vinyl wall. Here he was, in a forgotten tower, having traversed the ruins of a long-forgotten city. In the tower, there was supposed to be a treasure, including the books of a noted wizard of this world, lost to the ages. The rest of the treasure… well, he supposed that had its use, but it was the books that had decided this for him. All that was left was to climb the tower, defeat whatever was guarding it (why would it be there if there was nothing guarding it?) and escape with all of it.

One thing he’d give the people of this world: they were exceptionally good about locking their doors. Sighing, he stopped at another door, aiming his wand lazily at it. “Alohomora,” he said, lazily, and the door unlocked as all the others had. He held his hand out to grasp the door handle, then smiled, stepped back, and waved his wand sending three more neat spells at the door, discharging the electricity that was ready to electrocute him, transfiguring the poison in the trap into water, and sealing shut the spikes ready to spring out at him. He pushed the door open, peeked inside, then leapt aside, his eyes widening.

The creature was, apparently, made entirely of air, though it was shaped like a shark and swam through the air like one. Oryn dove aside, blasting it away with a spell as he rolled to his feet. A shouted spell ripped the door from its hinges, and he sent it sailing across the room to catch the shark in the mouth, halting its progress for a moment. Never one to hesitate, Oryn began chanting, swirling the tip of his wand, forcing the air in the room to begin swirling, faster and faster, until a small cyclone formed, ripping through the shark, freeing the air that constituted it from the magic binding it together like so much chum in the water, leaving only tiny bits of it that faded from sight as he watched.

“Interesting,” he mused. The creature was effective, no doubt about that, but on its own not much of a threat for a seasoned wizard. Perhaps several of them, and perhaps if he contained them in a cyclone like that… but what would he call such a thing, that tornado of sharks? Shrugging, figuring it was a ridiculous idea anyway, he moved along through the tower, wondering if anything interesting was going to present itself.
Dungeons & Dragons-Forgotten Realms

3 Posts
1 Threads
Job: Rogue/Sorceress
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Yes!
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 447
Flying was one of those things that could be done with a reason, or just because you felt like it. Being so close to so many dangerous do-gooder type people, Torynn took the precaution of making herself invisible before she went out, but when she did, oh, she’d spend a good part of the day out and about, hunting for treasure, checking the small, hidden garden of berry bushes and root vegetables, as well as her traps for game.

Today, she was bringing in a haul of potatoes, carrots, and two rabbits. Dinner was going to be fantastic tonight.

When she swooped down toward the tower, the door was open. She hadn’t left it like that; no, she’d locked the thing, and had reset the traps, too. You had to be careful with people like the Swords, and Elminster, and whatever other adventurers and rogue mages happened to be about.

All she really wanted was to be left alone.

And to make money.

There were nobler goals, sure, but she had travelled Faerun in the names of Torm, Tyr, and Helm, and tackled the Chosen of Myrkul before he could raise the dead in the forms of undead. She’d done noble. Now she wanted profit. Profit, and for people to not try to kill her on sight, but she’d settle for profit; it was easier, and far more likely.

Aw, no, poor Whisper. The elemental had come with the tower, but Torynn had made friends with the trapped creature, give it offerings of animals Torynn could lure in with the promise food, only to become food for the elemental. Whisper had been a good, faithful companion on many a too-quiet day.

And he’d been murdered by an interloping human. “Now,” she said angrily, releasing her invisibility spell as she closed the distance, “What did Whisper ever do to you, who invades our home and banishes my friend?” If the human turned, what he’d find was akin to something out of a fairytale; she had skin an almost pinkish hue of red, complete with bat-like wings, a long prehensile tail, and two small, dainty horns that curled from her forehead. And she was hissing angry over the banishment of her elemental partner.

4 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Oryn had expected to fight some manner of interloping creature in this tower, which he had been assured was uninhabited. Or, the source of his information had told him, if the tower had a wizard guarding it, it was of the unliving variety, which he would do the world well to rid them of and claim its prizes for himself. This girl was neither any variety of interloping creature that he could discern, nor an ancient undead wizard. She was… what was she, actually? Possibly some sort of half-breed creature, though an intriguing variety that he’d never seen before. More than likely, at least one bit of her blood, if not all of it, was unique to this world, yet another example of information he needed to have.

And, apparently, he’d irritated her.

“Well,” he said calmly, “If you must know, it tried to take off my leg, and showed every intention of wanting to eat me for progressing through this tower. This tower, I must add, which I was assured was uninhabited by anything either sentient or truly living. Obviously my information was quite incorrect, a situation that I will be discussing rather pointedly with the man who sold me the location.” He paused as he considered the ramifications. He was the scion of a noted family of wizards, and he was not a mere sneakthief. He might recover lost or forgotten treasure from some remote place, he might battle some terrible monster for its horde, but to simply come into someone’s home and take it? That was so uncouth that he couldn’t even contemplate proceeding. “I was told that this would be a forgotten tower, with a storeroom of treasure and magic lore. I assume that I was given inaccurate information on all fronts, not simply the tower’s state of habitation?”

She really was a lovely creature, when you got down to it. It was almost a shame to kill the man who had ended up setting him on the path to come across her, but that was likely exactly what he would have to do. That was a matter for later, though. For now… “I do apologize if that was your pet, though. I don’t suppose that I could make amends by means of a replacement?” As if to punctuate the offer, he flicked his wand at a slab of stone that had fallen in from the wall, transfiguring the stone into a stout, powerful-looking dog. It wasn’t a bulldog, no, he saw no purpose in keeping around one of those inbred monstrosities, but it looked like it might be distantly related to one, only with a more healthy than pure lineage.
Dungeons & Dragons-Forgotten Realms

3 Posts
1 Threads
Job: Rogue/Sorceress
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Yes!
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 447
In this case, Oryn wat the inter toping Creature. Torynn, however, was sort of accustomed to people (usually elves though) Assuming that due to her appearance, she had no right to any place they might decide to enter. This hardly seemed any different; she was different than him, probably of a contrasting alignment, and thus the primary right she must have was to die at his hand. Well, she hadn't died at anyone’s hands yet, and she would fight to keep up her streak of surviving.

Aw, the poor little looter had been attacked whilst coming to loot her tower? Torynn felt no pity. "well, let's consider this. You banished my sweet whisper for protecting his home from an unexpected intruder coming to take what doesn't belong to him?" she smiled to the wizard humorlessly, “We don't advertise ourselves lest some brave, morally superior heroes come to end us, looking for treasure and glory.” At the wizard's indication that there was treasure hidden within the tower, Torynn huffed a laugh. "Perhaps a thousand or more years gone a wizard lived here, and perhaps some of the dust around us were books back then, but the only things here now are what I brought in." And most of that rested in the structure below ground, not in the tower itself.

“Whisper is an intelligent, sentient creature, no mere pet.” A replacement? Did he know how to summon..? But no, he meant to conjure some sort of construct. Ah, well, still useful. “So where is it that you hail from that you'd think this tower, abandoned by the elves, would actually still hold treasure an age later?"

4 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Oryn, being in a new world outside his own, really had no reason to doubt anything that Torynn said, aside from his natural suspicions about everyone and everything. He had, indeed, been suspicious of the information he’d gotten regarding the tower, but he hadn’t expected his information to be this incorrect. Oryn operated on what he liked to call an Acceptable Falsehood threshold. Anyone he got information from was likely to lie about something, perhaps everything, but he was reasonably good at telling just how truthful someone was being with him, aided and abetted by legilimency. He expected there to be something off about his informant’s information, perhaps less treasure than he had been told, perhaps more danger than had been indicated, but this went beyond everything he’d expected to go wrong. Not only was the tower inhabited, but there was no treasure.

While he wasn’t going to use legilimency (yet) on this woman, who was very obviously not human and therefore may be a much different experience, he could still make a reasonable judgement on how truthful she was being. She obviously had been living here, he didn’t doubt that, and she hadn’t attacked him yet, which meant that she probably was telling the truth about there not being any treasure. However… this did not have the look of an inhabited tower. The monsters he’d had to work his way through attested to that. No… he judged that she had not long been an occupant of this building, and that perhaps she was even trying to keep her location there a secret. Interesting.

Still, when things moved beyond the Acceptable Falsehood threshold, Oryn had to consider that he wasn’t being lied to. It was, after all, completely possible for a person to simply be mistaken. His source was obviously mistaken about some things… was this woman mistaken about anything as well?

As the woman spoke to the intelligent nature of her pet, Oryn just smiled thinly and didn’t comment. How many people had he seen who considered their magical creatures to be intelligent, sentient beings? He’d gone to school with a boy who claimed his rat was smarter than the first year students, but that hadn’t stopped the rat from eating the rat poison that Oryn had taken to leaving out around their bedroom. He wagered that the very real dog now sniffing around her feet was an acceptable replacement. The thing had certainly behaved like a shark, after all.

“I come from no place that you would have heard of,” Oryn said, peering up at the ceiling as he flicked his wand in front of him, weaving a delicate protection spell. Magical threads began weaving around him, slowly turning in the air until they formed an intricate web above their heads, sensing magic instead of physical touches in the same manner that a spider web transmits physical vibrations. “I’m in this world to study its magic, and I was assured, most convincingly, that there was some to be studied in this place. My source was quite certain this tower was uninhabited and contained treasure that would suit my needs. Obviously he was wrong on one account, but was he wrong on all of them?” With a flourishing wave of his wand, he sent the web drifting up through the ceiling, the stones not hampering it at all, its further movement only shown by the movement of the magical threads still connecting the web to his wand. “They say that when something seems too good to be true, it generally is. I’ve found that the same applies when something seems too bad to be true. So let’s… see… Aha!” The magical threads began to glow as the web began to tangle around something magical, and Oryn gave the woman a cool smile. “I would hate to further impose upon your apparent home,” he said, in spite of the fact that he suspected the woman to also be an interloper of sorts, “But I’d certainly like to see what hidden magic my spell has found in the supposedly empty chambers above, wouldn’t you?”