Dungeons and Dragons-Forgotten Realms

40 Posts
7 Threads
Job: Bard
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 77
Being an intelligent man, Arjay was well aware of just how out of touch it could make him look to not understand the technology of many of the worlds around him. He could gather the use of devices, of course, but not having them on his world, actually operating them was an exercise in overcoming a rather large learning curve. He hadn't, therefore, told anyone that he'd gotten a phone until he finally figured out how to use it well, and had felt sufficiently proud of himself once he had.

The first call he'd gotten had been from Steve, and he'd been pleased that he'd managed to not press the wrong little pictures on the glass while he'd been on the call. He'd been in such a good mood about it all that he'd headed straight over to help with the little problem Steve had, and now found himself in quite another technological quandary: How the blazes did you get into this building?

The doors were locked, and there was no one on the other side of the door to see him or open it if he knocked, he could see that through the odd glass door.
There was some manner of device at the door, but he couldn't for the life of him decipher what it did, never having seen a retinal scanner on his world. Using magic to bypass the door would be possible, yet obviously rude, so he held that as a backup idea. He spent a good ten minutes just looking everything over, marveling at whatever it might be, before he decided that yes, there was probably someone watching him, and yes, he was probably looking like quite an idiot. So, deciding to take a chance before he used up a Sending spell, he cleared his throat, looking around. "Ah... hello? I was called by Steve Rogers, he said that there was an injured friend who needed care? May I come in?" He waited a moment, then added, "Or am I looking like a complete fool talking to myself here?"
Marvel-MCU-1

31 Posts
3 Threads
Job: AI for Tony Stark
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: Maybe?
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 148
There was an elf at the door.

If she had the capacity Friday would sigh, although after Norse Gods she really should be less surprised by these things. A ripple of unknown energy spiked the Towers sensors, the oddly aligned copy of another universe registered that it was a form of what was commonly called ‘magic’. Wonderful. Also that it did not appear to be harmful, in fact it seemed to be tied most strongly to the sword at this side.

Interesting.

Something to point out to Tony for future analysis. But for now- “Welcome to Stark Tower, Captain Rogers has been informed of your arrival, Dr.-?” A small pulse to Steve’s phone, chiming his location in the Tower as well as a verbal explanation of the same.

“Of course not,” The doors slid open a path of lights marking the way he was to walk and wait. “If you would follow the lights, until Captain Rogers can come to greet you personally.” And verify his identity, Friday was being polite, but she wasn’t going to let anyone randomly into the residential area’s of the tower.

“May I offer some refreshment? Coffe? Water? A selection of bagels has just been delivered, please make yourself comfortable.” The automated dolly wheeled out with a twin carafe as well as the promised items.

The Tower might not have had a true AI but as Friday had ‘settled in’ she’d discovered a truly amazing amount of automation at her disposal.

"If you don't mind I will have to ask that you remove your weapons while you are in our-" which phrase to use? "Home." The pause was less then a nanosecond.

A second empty dolly beeped politely near his hip.
Marvel-MCU

83 Posts
3 Threads
Job: Rogue Superhero
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 124
When Worlds Collide

He had called Arjay out of desperation. Tony wasn’t going to take it easy, no matter how much he didn’t mean to, or couldn’t help himself, or whatever it ended up being.

So he had turned to the only other friend he had that could do something to help Tony recover. Arjay had mentioned healing being among his abilities, and well… A healed Tony could at least go wandering through Hub without being in danger of overdoing it or pulling stitches or hurting himself.

Of course, Steve had never imagined that Arjay would come over immediately after the call. The call. Phones in Hub worked, and Arjay, an elf no less, had gotten himself one of them and given Steve his number. Steve grinned at the idea; it was amazing. Five years ago, he hadn’t known what a cell phone was, and now he was watching someone figure out the technology just as he had. It was surreal, really. He knew the feeling Arjay must have felt when he had tried to set up the device, tried to use it the first time. It was exciting, and just a little bit scary at the same time

So when his phone buzzed in his pocket, and Friday let him know verbally that Arjay was here, right now, Steve blinked and then chuckled, “Let him know I’m on my way if you wouldn’t mind please, Friday?”

Steve ran. He wouldn’t admit that with any real pride, but he was glad to have a friend coming to visit. Justin was great, and Tony… Was Tony… And Friday was… He was pretty sure she was going to be furious with him for awhile yet, but he understood that. He understood Tony’s reaction (sort of?) too, but that didn’t make it all any more comfortable. Justin knew him, but he didn’t know Justin. Tony didn’t remember what had happened between them, but he knew it was something. Friday definitely remembered, and held it against him, again, with every rightful reason for that, but it made Steve’s life just a whole ball of discomfort right now. Arjay was… Uncomplicated. They were friends. Just that, that simple thing. It was nice, and Steve embraced having something so straightforward in his life.

When he came to the hallway where Arjay was, Steve smiled to his friend, “Arjay! I hadn’t thought you’d come so quickly, but thank you. Thank you so much.” He looked to the ceiling as he nearly always did when speaking to Friday, “And thank you, Friday.” He shrugged to Arjay, then motioned to the building they stood inside, “What do you think?”

“That’s not going away anytime soon.”

40 Posts
7 Threads
Mike

‘Doctor.’ Now there was a term that Arjay hadn’t had applied to him before. He knew vaguely what it meant, it was the word for healers that didn’t have access to magic, but it wasn’t exactly a common term in his world. Still, when in Amn, do as the Amnish do. “Arjay,” he told the mysterious controlling presence. “Arjay Lo’Ran. There’s no need for titles.” Since, naturally, the one she offered didn’t apply to him, and any that he could lay claim to had no meaning in the world that Steve and this Tony came from.

He followed the glowing path with mild amusement, wondering just how this feat was done with technology. He knew how it would be done magically, of course, but trying to figure out the physics of this world was something that would never stop amusing him. “I believe I’ll have coffee,” he said, “And thank you.” The refreshments from this world were something he hadn’t completely explored yet, of course. He studied the bagels before picking one that smelled savory (onion, if his nose served him well), and discovered that contrary to the strange name, coffee wasn’t strange to him, although it was obviously of a different strain than the kaith he was used to from Faerun.

He was sweetening the ka- er, coffee to his taste when the final request was delivered, and Arjay paused, looking up at the ceiling (for where else could this mysterious presence be?), and tried to figure out how to proceed. He obviously didn’t want to offend anyone, but this was hardly a house where you put your sword on a rack near the door. He had no idea if he could find his sword again if it was misplaced or taken (after all, how many people did this building hold?). That was just the mundane concerns, he also had to deal with the very huffy displeasure he felt from the sword at his hip at the idea of being put on that cart.

He was saved from having to choose between two unattractive options by the sudden arrival of Steve, which made Arjay smile in relief. “Steve,” he said warmly, clasping the other man’s forearm. “Of course I came right away. In all my time here, did you know that this is the first favor I’ve been asked? I’m not about to put that off.”

His expression grew more serious as he returned to the dilemma he was in. “Perhaps you can help me. I’m being asked to surrender my sword. This sword is, without a hint of clever exaggeration, a gift from my goddess, handed down from her temple itself. It feels, it has its own will, its own mind. It would be an affront for me to simply leave it lying on a table unattended.” He glanced up at the ceiling again, speaking up, obviously for Friday’s benefit. “Even if that table was very carefully and deliberately guided.” Returning his gaze to Steve, he pulled the sheath from his sword belt, offering it to him. “However, I can surrender it to a known comrade in arms without any affront to admittedly vain goddesses and the temperamental feelings of touchy weapons.” He looked up again. “I assume that this is an acceptable arrangement?”

“I will admit, I'm impressed,” he admitted conversationally, once that matter was concluded, as he looked around the greeting hall. “"Quite different from the towers I'm used to, of course, and quite different even from those that I've seen of your world. What is this friend of yours, to be accorded such security and graced with such a seat of power and monument to his name? A king? A prince? Lord of this city, at the very least?”
Marvel-MCU-1

31 Posts
3 Threads
Job: AI for Tony Stark
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: Maybe?
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 148
“Arjay.” Her tone was warm, inviting, as she repeated his requested form of address.

“If I might suggest-” she offered when he picked his bagel. “The jalapeno chive cream cheese? One traditionally sliced open the bagel and applies the smear.” Came the soft Irish voice, dipping oddly on the last word as her accent warred with the yiddish word.

Friday made a little noise, reminiscent of clearing her throat to gain their attention; “I can promise that your weapon will not be touched while it is under my care. And it will be attended by..me.” she clarified, wondering if he would ask to ‘see’ her. To know who was watching his religious artifact.

“That is acceptable, Captain Rogers is a suitable substitute for storage.” was there a little bit of bite on her response? Possibly, Friday wasn’t admitting to it though.

“Mr. Stark holds no hereditary land titles, he does how ever hold multiple intellectual titles as well as having considerable secular influence in the matters of politics. As well as monetary influence.”
Marvel-MCU

83 Posts
3 Threads
Job: Rogue Superhero
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 124
When Worlds Collide

”Arjay,” Steve’s voice was warm and affectionate. The smile he wore was genuine and reached his blue eyes in a way that was uncommon to see lately. ”It’s good to see you. You didn’t have to come immediately…” With a chuckle, Steve shook his head, ”The first? Well, I hope you don’t mind, Arjay… But my friend was hurt, and while we’re able to make sure he heals properly by our own means, he’s… Impatient. And I’m worried about him exacerbating his injuries.”

Asked to surrender his sword? Hm. Thinking back, Steve couldn’t remember a time where he, Natasha, Clint, Thor or Bruce had been asked to surrender their weapons. But he supposed they were Avengers, they had first entered Tony’s tower as Avengers. Arjay was not only not an Avenger, but he was also a complete unknown, not even human… Or Asgardian. He couldn’t blame Arjay for not wanting to give up his sacred weapon. Steve had found it every bit as hard to give up the shield, though he had worked to make sure that Tony hadn’t seen how difficult it had really been for him, covering the hurt, unease, and shame with stoic disregard and dropping the shield unceremoniously at his friend’s feet.

With just a touch of hesitation, Steve glanced toward where he knew a camera was as Friday agreed that the arrangement Arjay offered was acceptable. Thank goodness. He didn’t want to think about how difficult it could have become if she had insisted. ”Thank you, Friday...” Storage substitute. Yeah, she wasn’t going to let that go soon, was she? Not likely. Still, he smiled and took the offered sword from his friend, moving to carry it with them as they walked. He had heard Friday’s tone, but he let it go. Calling her out on it now would do him absolutely no good at all. He was still going to need her help convincing Tony to let this happen...

”The tower is pretty amazing; it’s unique, and everything here was made by Tony.” Was that warm pride for the engineer in his voice? Of course it was; he might not always love the fact that Tony was so confident in how amazing he was, but that didn’t mean that Steve thought any less of him or didn’t see that the genius was truly gifted. Friday’s explanation earned a smile from Steve, and he chuckled, ”And he’s not a wizard, either. Though in some ways, he’s not all that far off. He makes and deals in technology. And as Friday mentioned, he has some political sway.” Steve paused before speaking the next words, his voice just slightly pained, ”He’s a good man.” And he had been a good friend, too.

“That’s not going away anytime soon.”

40 Posts
7 Threads
Mike

“Ah,” Arjay said, understanding the urgency. “I had a friend who was like that once. We found out later that he had to be dragged to the temple half dead for healing… We made quite a scene berating him for all the worry he caused everyone. Yes, I quite understand.”

In truth, Arjay still didn’t like surrendering his sword. To him, it seemed a statement of mistrust. You expected such things at taverns, where you needed to make sure to not leave an opening for the more… lively aspects of humanity to remain armed just because you weren’t collecting swords from those you trusted. In the home of someone who’d invited you, though? His sword was a symbol of his status in his world, the last one that he maintained. His military status had been surrendered when he withdrew his service from Myth Drannor, but his goddess’s blessing still served him well, and was really the only honor he needed to have acknowledged. He had to assume that weapons and honor were seen differently in their world, but it still served to make him feel more guarded in this encounter. “Keep it with you, if you please,” he said as he surrendered the sword.

“Oh, I’m aware that he’s no wizard. There isn’t a touch of magic in this building, all appearances to the contrary. Not that I’d expect everyone from my world to be able to realize that… he could, I suppose, make a good attempt at impersonating one to them.” How many times had Arjay had to pretend to be a wizard? Or, for that matter, a cleric, or a druid, or a soldier… Being a bard was a lot less distinctive than many people assumed, he had to admit. On the subject of Tony being a good man, Arjay simply offered Steve a thin smile. They’d see about that. His own opinion, he was trying to prevent from being colored by being separated from his sword. “What sort of wounds are we dealing with? I won’t lie, I’m curious what sort of injuries the technology from your world can’t deal with.” He stopped at a corner, waiting for Steve to show him the way to the room in question.