Marvel Comics-Marvel 616-Adjacent

55 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 998
Her answer didn’t surprise him. Of course, he’d thought that her brother might have made the list too, but there was an element of ‘he could take care of himself’ at work there, Pete suspected. “My da’s on some Earth or other now, safe and sound. He’s there because one of my staffers thought they’d better make sure he got out of there, or they’d have hell to pay from me. Me?” Pete shook his head. “I didn’t give the bugger a second thought. It was all logistics this, job that, with a side helping of swearing at the bloody fools that started the whole mess. Only people I called, start to finish, were minions I needed to herd and the military I needed to give them the muscle to get it done.”

Of course, had she been on his earth, he might have forced her mother’s evacuation anyway. It wasn’t a matter of space, after all, it was a matter of time, and pushing one more person through the portal would have been trivial.

“Once it was over, though…” He shook his head. “’S why I don’t do tomorrows. I ended too many of them, I watched too many tomorrows decide not to come. Hoping tomorrow is better might as well be another way of saying that you’ll be all right if it ends the way it is.” He picked up his tea, taking another drink. “Which leads to me making a prat of myself today, because every day I’ve had to admit that I’m not all right with things staying how they ended.”

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

304 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,821
Belle stood, grabbing tissues to wipe away the tracks of her emotional dam burst, sometimes she hated how quickly and easily she cried. Compared to the strong women she was friends with and the horrors people like Pete endured made her easy tears...it cheapened his strength.

“You focused on getting the job done.” Belle shook her head - “ah’m nobody, ah never have that kinda responsibility.“

Belle took a long shuddering breath, pulling herself together to focus on what really mattered here- Pete’s pain. She couldn’t live with herself if she just let him keep going day by day drinking and destroying himself, the only thing keeping him together being a bastard sense of duty.

“millions to died.” She stated “- Maybe there was a way to save them. You can’t know that. You made a call.” Her hand tightened painfully around his - “speakin’ as a nameless mass-“ she knew well her role in the grand scheme- “Havin a day warning? An hour?” She shook her head - “i don’t know if I could want it. Yes time to see my family again...but so much pain and agony. If ah had children-“ her resolve failed her, voice cracking with emotion - “ah don’t think I’d have wanted to know I couldn’t save them.”

Belle pulled herself together again looking at him squarely- “How do you want things to end?”
@mike

55 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Pete looked up from his tea, fixing her with a tolerant gaze. "Luv, I've been all around at least eight worlds, and pushed my nose into more. If there were people who were really 'nobody,' I wouldn't have lost any sleep." What would that have been like, though? Not being nobody, he really didn't believe that was a thing, but having a job that never held up the weight of the bloody world? It sounded bloody marvelous, honestly, and unfortunately it sounded completely unfit for him. Self-awareness was hell, apparently.

A 'nameless mass.' Heh. Pete looked up at her with a darkly amused smirk. "So how unbelievable would it sound to you that I actually have the names?" Probably it wouldn't be that unbelievable. Oh, he didn't have it on him, of course, and he was pretty sure that the list he had was short by maybe a hundred thousand names, and maybe a few had managed to sneak through with the groups that escaped, but by and large it was right. Belle had a decent sense of people, though, and seemed to have a good sense of him, so she probably wouldn't even be surprised.

Her question gave a good excuse to get back to business and away from his emotional baggage for a few moments. "Well, I'm not nearly an expert on how these things go, but ending without you thinking you have to run off the second you let slip something like that. Jesus wept, that was nothing compared to the whingy shite I've been letting loose, you must think I'm a hopeless mess by now."

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

304 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Belle cast her gaze downwards, releasing her grip- she touched easily and openly and sometimes she forgot that it wasn’t always ‘normal’. thoughtless Actions like that likely were what got her into trouble more often than not.

“Yah came here upset.” Belle looked down at her hands, slowly unraveling the tablecloth “Ah expected to hear some things that would be painful.” What they were well some of her guesses had been correct.

Lord help this man who literally has the name of every man woman and child listed next to his heart.

Her prayer was not metaphorical, but heartfelt, a quick whispered thought to a higher power that her experiences in Hub had only solidified her belief in.

‘Let him find peace in his heart and soul..’

“Our date was meant t’be fun, not-“ her hand waggled slightly “my emotional baggage spillin’ everywhere. No one needs that on a first date. And I was rightly horrified that I put that on you.”

@mike

55 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

He couldn't help it. Yes, he'd just been recalling a lot of fairly painful emotional baggage, but he was a spy. He was good at turning off the bad things and moving along to something else. So when she gave her excuse? Pete laughed. Leaning forward, he captured her hand in his again, fixing her with a look that was definitely amused now.

"Luv, my emotional baggage had already spilled all over the date. Or are you saying that there's no room for things to be two-way, and I just have to be mothered without getting to offer anything back?" He shot her a little challenging look that couldn't overpower his smile. "Remember who you're talking about, luv. The world could end tomorrow, you might never get a chance for a second date. Can't go holding back on the first date like that, now, can we? I mean... if you weren't enjoying yourself, that's fine, you can just say so and I'll let the whole matter drop, but I certainly enjoyed my self."

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

304 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“No ah can’t say I wasn’t.” Well there was part of the problem she’d been raised with certain expectations and while she considered herself a liberal enlightened woman...somethings lingered.

So yes. It was ok for Pete to ‘spread his emotional baggage’ on the first date and it wasn’t for her.

Belle also had caregivers nature and despised being a burden, especially to people she cared about.

Most of her self worth was tied directly into how much support and yes ‘mothering’ she could give her friends, it was, in a world filled with superheroes and magic the one thing that made her unique. And to have the tables turned...Belle honestly didn’t have good healthy responses.

@mile