DC- DC-TV-1

288 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,805
Hearing his reminder of the aweful condition he’d lived with made Belle feel doubly guilty for begrudging his newly gained divinity.

It was horribly selfish, but Belle did love Arjay deeply enough that she couldn’t always take the high road in the privacy of her mind and spirit.

“I’m so glad you are better.” Her voice was low and soft, it was the absolute truth, if everything else was muddled she would never want him to go back to a life of pain and struggle.

He caught her hand, bringing it to his lips-

Belle’s heart skipped a beat, breath stuttered on her inhale-

“ARJAY!” He was on Fire!!! Belle screamed throwing herself bodily onto him- a foolish instinctive reaction to smother the flames with her flesh.

The world shifted in those few seconds she was falling-

Iridescent gossamer folds spilled over her form, dark malachite green almost black in the light, highlighted her pale skin, the contrast bringing new life and vibrancy to her scarlet hair.

The ring she still wore around her neck reacted as well to the magical energies around its owner; thin strands of hellfire wove through her hair, highlighting, illuminating it. The ring was reacting as a warning, opening the portal a sliver.

“You haven’t hurt me.” Belle’s mind was in shock, simply reacting, there was no time to do more than just react. Her hands drifted up his shoulders, cupping his face. Proving to her pounding heart he was whole and hale.

The note, even the wine and roses went unnoticed in the heart stopping moment.

Truly falling in love with Arjay would be a tragedy for Belle, he could never be a man that only loved her, and she could never be a woman who could be happy with anything less.

Her breath ghosted out over his lips a hair's breadth from falling.

@mike
Dungeons and Dragons-Forgotten Realms

332 Posts
22 Threads
Job: Bard
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 987
Arjay was positive that his lady love was trying to help. In many situations, most even, he would have said that she was helping. Sadly? This was not one of those situations.

He had started to stand as Belle threw herself on him in alarm, and had to remind himself once more that she was not even remotely as used to magic as he was. Strong arms caught her as she fell, making her fall at least a comfortable one. Her sudden change in clothing, unexpected as it was, was nonetheless quite the pleasant situation, the much more sheer fabric spreading their body heat between them much more freely than it otherwise might have. She was, in that moment, a very, very delicious temptation, a beautiful woman with a beautiful heart whom he truly did love, pressed against him, slightly dazed in his arms. Was he above reacting to this sudden change in the situation? Well… he was male.

“I’m afraid that I have,” he answered, his thumb caressing her cheek as he gazed into her eyes. “You’ve seen me hurt before, you’ve even seen me in danger before… today? I didn’t wish to frighten you, nor upset you, but I did both.” And, more to the point, he’d brought them into this position, one that was so pregnant with possibilities that it rivaled Sune just a couple weeks previous (as time in the Hub was figured).

Arjay had long admired the beauty of the woman in his arms. He and Dean had mused over it during the quest, their pain-numbing sessions including substances that lowered inhibitions and brought out even the most ill-advised conversations. It went beyond that, of course. Belle had a heart that burned so brightly that even in that dull, magic-dead world, he had been able to see it, been able to sense it. He loved her so much more for who she was than how much he was drawn to her beauty. Had things gone differently… well, had his goddess not made her own bid for his affections, he probably would have made quite the point to put every one of Belle’s suitors to shame and win the woman himself. Now he was forced to face several ‘what if’ questions, all of them becoming incoherent as he saw the distinct lavender of his eyes reflected in the azure pools of her own.

He was a gentleman, and he wanted nothing more than for her to be happy, to never do anything that risked hurting her, and he’d previously been over in his mind what he needed to do and not do with Belle to prevent her from being hurt. On the other hand, he was also a creature with an innate, divine attunement to feelings of loss or pain and how they might be comforted with love, an attunement that had in the past weeks grown much stronger. He was, in many ways, a slave to love, a condition that had been present his entire life, and had only been uplifted by his new existence. And so it was that even as he tried to figure out what his proper course of action was, he was already kissing her, his hand cupping the back of her head, his arm shaking slightly as it wrapped around her waist.

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

288 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“It’s not your fualt-“ belle protested, hardly hearing her own words, lost in the vibrant purple of his eyes. A wholly unnatural color, yet it was so distinctly him, the soft shade of twilight, just before the sun rose.

Sexual expressions of love came easily to him, meant at the moment but moved beyond easily. Belle was cut of different cloth.

Pale arms wrapped around his neck, Belle melted against him, warm, soft, surrendering her good sense far behind to his masculine hardness.

There was no way being what he was that he could miss the subtle ‘click’ of her emotions settling, toppling over the edge into that endless abyss.

Belle kissed him back, not with desperate urgency, not with blind lust, but with the soft unhurried flowering of love.

@mike

332 Posts
22 Threads
Mike

It was one of the most delicious things in the world, new love. Arjay knew that better than most people. He himself had felt its touch more than once, and it was one of the things that he urged his followers to seek out now, how that euphoria of bliss could change your entire life in a moment, making all of the pain you’d felt worth it. It was the bliss of possibility, of hope, of knowing that new beginnings happened, that every ending only led to the possibility of one.

Arjay was the God of Heartbreak, of comfort and loyalty in love, the watcher of that one moment that redeems all of your emotional pain. In this moment, kissing a woman that he had known he shouldn’t kiss, encouraging a love that they both knew would be doomed to pain in a brilliantly beautiful heart, he had just defied the nature that held up his divinity, that defined it and bound it to his will. He had created pleasure that he knew would bring pain, and had done it with no regard for someone who loved and trusted him.

His own power, always brilliantly burning within him, slipped from his control just as he slipped from the calling of his office. As he sinned against love and his aspect of it, a spot of purple flame appeared over his heart. To Belle, pressed so closely against him, it would be nothing but a cool, calming flicker. To Arjay, though, it was utter agony.

With a gasp of pain, he pulled back from her, lines of heartfire smoldering on his skin wherever she’d touched him. His lips glowed purple, blistering slightly before returning to normal, his divine healing always working to maintain him. His eyes went wide at the pain, clutching his hand over his heart, gasping out an apology that sounded high and squeaky as he fought not to scream. Slowly, as he regained himself, the flames died down, until just the thumbprint-sized patch of violet fire remained above his heart, and finally that too vanished, leaving only raw, charred flesh in its wake. Slowly, before their eyes, the skin lightened again, turning from black to a raw red, then scarring over until it formed a shiny patch of scar tissue, the only one on his entire body. Oh, goddess, what have I done...

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

288 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Belle slipped to his side, welcoming him into her arms, urging him to press her into the warm bed, to prove to her heart and soul that he was whole; Belle soul called out to him, promising a warm welcoming home, restful when he was burdened, joyous in quiet simplicity, filled with gentle light and laughter.

She was warm, loved, utterly relaxed in his arms, the only tension was that of anticipacion, and even that was a distant thing waiting to be sparked to life; she trusted him completely.

Belle’s eyes snapped open at his choked off breath; across his face, down his arms, streaks shaped like her fingers burned with purple fire. HE might have the witherell to not scream but she had no such control - “Arjay?!” Belle gripped her mouth. “Nonononoo.” Belle fell off the bed hands fluttering helplessly in the air over his form, she might not know or understand why but it was clear it was her that was hurting him.

‘Every man you love you will be their downfall.’

The words crashed into her chaotic mind, the proof brutally splayed before her; first James, and now - “I’m so sorry.” she whispered, barely audible from behind her hands.

When Arjay’s mythos was recorded, when his priests wrote out his legend, what name would they give to the woman that scared their God? Who nearly brought his very godhood down?

332 Posts
22 Threads
Mike

Well, that was one way to thoroughly break the mood. Arjay would give divine power that much: It didn’t do things halfway. Arjay knew what was happening, as surely as a person who was choking knew what was happening, of course. Oh, he might be surprised at the form it took, he might not have expected it, but once it was happening, every bit of it made complete sense to him, and moreover, he knew that he deserved every bit of it.

It took a moment for him to reassure himself that he wasn’t still on fire, another to assess his condition, and one moment more to work up the nerve to try to touch her. This… well, this wasn’t fair. Just scant months ago, they’d have been free to make all the mistakes they wanted, to love and be loved, to end up feeling possibly a bit foolish, but to find the happiness in that foolishness. This was the price, though, of that power and responsibility he’d been given. He couldn’t deal with matters with the carefree abandon he once had taken such joy in. Taking a deep breath, Arjay reached out, and when he did, he was himself again: Not the impetuous self that had loved so recklessly in the past, but the self that had learned from it, and had grown wise from the lessons of love, the self that was very ashamed of himself right now.

“No,” he said gently, taking her hands and drawing them down from her face. “No, Belle, we won’t be having any of that. You’ve done nothing wrong here.” He could still feel the fresh pain of the shiny scar on his chest, but he pressed through it, the pain quite the deserved reminder of just what he’d begun to do, and one that he welcomed. “If forgiving you will put your mind at ease, I will, but I’m at fault, Belle. This?” He touched a hand tentatively to his chest, just under the thumbprint-sized scar over his heart. “This is for my sins.”

Were she to ask, he would likely be able to tell her with certainty that in the future, his church would tell of the woman with such a pure heart, such a fair beauty, that she and their god had been drawn to each other against all advice, and that the young god had paid for his hubris in risking her heart with pain to his own self, pain that he paid quite willingly. Some penitents in more extreme sects would take to searing the flesh over their heart in shame for much more innocent mistakes of love that they committed, but the lesson was always the same: Better that you suffer the pain of a heartache you knowingly bring upon someone who loves you. It was a tale of a god’s folly, a folly which he freely admitted to his faithful that they might learn from it, and as for the woman? Well, she would remain blessed by the god for all of her days, a holy example of the wronged lover.

He pressed his hand over her heart before she could offer much protest, and that violet fire filled her, warmed her, and with more than a little guilt, he caused it to melt away her grief and banish her guilt. This was another part of his penance, he supposed… that he must now deal with this with power instead of kisses, even if it ruined her ability to look upon him as a man from here forward. “This is nothing you could have expected, but me? Oh, I certainly should have, and I believe on some level I did.” It was obviously difficult to meet her eyes now, but he forced himself to. She deserved that much from him at the very least.

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

288 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Belle flinched back from his hand, not out of fear from him but for him - “No-” she whispered, Belle had never been a pretty when she cried, yet in this moment the crystal drops that slipped down her cheeks could have been put to the silver screen. “Was it-” Belle’s eyes frantically darted around, not wanting to voice her immediate suspicion, that his Lady Goddess had recanted, and decided to mark her territory.

‘His sins.’

She was a sin. A tempress. Jezebel. Harlot.

She had kissed him in the cab, she had put him in her bed. She had coyly offered to bathe him-

She had been the one to first kiss James, she had been the one who begged him to hold her, she had been the one who had said yes…

Not even her knuckles pressed brutally to her mouth could hold back the broken sob as all her years of good Catholic guilt bowled over the heart she’d splinted together after James.

Less than a minute before her heart had been bright, whole, yes shadowed with old heart ache but the flowering of love had healed over the badly patched places where she was still weak, filled with self doubt. How could she in that moment, in Arjay’s arms felt anything other than completely secure in her beauty and desirability in body and mind?

A few seconds changed everything, now she lay splayed open, bleeding out, splits torn away to reveal all the ugliness inside of her. ’Whore’ And it was so very very ugly wasn’t it? He had a newborn and she -

Belle was a second from running past him to throw up when he pressed his hand over her breast -

The all consuming guilt was banished under his touch, she was suddenly calm..er. The tears dried on her cheeks, gone was the guilt, now there was a sort of numb calmness, as though she’d had hours to process and not scant minutes. Under the imposed magical scab seathed a deep well of self loathing. “Will you be alright?” her voice came out horase, as though she’d been screaming for hours.

@mike

332 Posts
22 Threads
Mike

Arjay gave a humorless smile, shaking his head at her question. “No, it wasn’t her. She quite encourages what we were doing. She’s the goddess of love, no matter what love it is, and I do love you. That… was me.” He took a deep breath, forcing himself to continue instead of putting some humorous ‘everything is all right’ veneer on the matter. “I’m the god of the brokenhearted and those in need of consolation. There are very few things that are sins against me, but knowingly leading someone into something that will hurt them?” he shook his head. “I acted against my own tenets. You’ve made it clear what you need, and that I’d never be able to be what you need me to be. I knew that, I accepted it long ago, and what have I been doing?” He shook his head. “Being a fool. I’m quite good at that,” he said quietly.

“I’ll be fine,” he said. “It… wasn’t pleasant, of course, but it isn’t meant to be, and it’s still far better than I deserve. It’s… a lesson, I suppose, and one that will serve me well.” If nothing else, it was reminding him that there were very definite things that he couldn’t do, couldn’t have, and the dangerous closeness with Belle was at the top of that list. Gods demanded sacrifices… and this was what he sacrificed to himself.

“Belle, I need you to understand a few things, and to trust me with them, even if I don’t deserve that trust.” That violet flame glowed beneath his palm, linking them. His power could enthrall most people easily, but one affected with his heartfire? Well… that was child’s play, and that was a good thing. “This isn’t your fault,” he said, brushing his fingers over her cheek. “One day I hope you’ll understand that you can do everything right and still feel guilt, even though you don’t deserve it. I love you, perhaps more than I should have allowed myself to, but I don’t regret it, even if it hurts me… only if it hurts you.”

Then, his hand slipped up to her head, and he began to cast the spell, his power washing over her, one spell he didn’t want to cast but knew he had to. Only… “Ah. You’re full of surprises, aren’t you, my dear? Very well…” Apparently, he had to deal with a gatekeeper to get into her mind for what he was going to do.

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

288 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Magic liked flinging itself about his masters head, and for the most part it ignored it; power needed to be summoned and if she allowed things to get into her mind and dreams, well that didn’t count as irrevocable. This. This was changing the fabric of her soul, and she wasn’t even aware it was coming.

What stared back at Arjay through obsidian eyes was distinctly not the woman he knew; hellfire corrupting, corrosive, unquenchable turned her hair into a firey mass, her skin glimmered with a thousand pinpricks of Infernal light.

If Belle knew, if she used the ring fully she’d be a short step from being a full Lord of Hell. In the shadows the candles one goddess had crafted, things began to move, pressing against the barrier, an army of demons the ring commanded, vengeful souls that she all unknowingly had bound to her service through blood and consent attention every night at her restaurant.

She called out in her pain and they answered; some for love, some to even the balance sheet, others to feed off that vibrant agony.

“No.” It said simply, holding back from attacking only because the care his master held for this upstart god.

@mike

332 Posts
22 Threads
Mike

And there it was. Arjay had wondered at the ring that Belle wore so innocently around her neck. The magic that radiated from it never felt benign, but it hadn’t ever influenced her that he could tell, it certainly didn’t seem to harm her. He usually just ignored it, even forgot about it, but now? Now it was showing its true colors.

The elf looked around, watching the flickering shadows, the malevolent spirits that flitted just out of the corner of his eye. He peered back at Belle, disapproval of the sudden presence controlling her obvious in his gaze. Still… this was a power that she had taken on herself (even if she never used it), and it was one that probably was tied tightly to her by now. Fighting it was an option… but that would hurt her. Unfortunately, he was going to have to do something he’d turned out to be rather good at in his previous life: Dealing with devils.

“All right,” he said, humoring the guardian and crossing his arms. “Why. I suppose that her pain amuses you?”

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

288 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

It twisted her lips into glittering ruby smirk, filled with inhuman sadism. “Pain is part of having a soul.” Her emotions did feed it to a degree but while the ring was nothing like benevolent, it was not completely malicious either; bound by her last lover to slavish devotion to the woman who was its master now. The Ghost who’d westled it from its place in Hell expected more time to perfect its controls, to teach his bride the magic he’d given her.

“Pain makes her stronger.”

@mike

332 Posts
22 Threads
Mike

Well, when it was right it was right. Pain was a good lesson, yes, but this wasn't truth she was being given pain from. She was learning to blame herself for his mistakes. “If you think that this is strength that she’s being given, you’re sadly deluded,” he said. He had a few cards he could play in this exchange, but given the subject, he was going to just go with the simplest, the most enticing to a spirit like this. “Name your price.”

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

288 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Strength comes from different scars.” Alien glittering behind her obsidian gaze was remorseless. “What happens next is her choice.” It raised her fingers to cup his chin. “There is no price to take that from her.”

@mike