DC-DCTVU-1

533 Posts
22 Threads
Job: PA/Magician
Ship Status: Single with Complications
Sexual Orientation: Pan-Romantic
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,487
The room Tony let him use in the mansion was not a small one. In the end, Christian had pushed the bed all the way up against the wall (no one else used it so the limited access wasn’t an issue) and had placed most of his belongings in the closet to afford him more space to work. In fact, the room resembled a workshop far more than it did a bedroom anymore. It still hadn’t been big enough.

In a borough that housed angels, he had found a place; abandoned and unused, a warehouse of some kind. The power worked, though, and there was a long counter. It had been easy to bring tools and materials here, where he could work alone, unmolested and without the sense that someone might come to interrupt him. A place that didn’t belong to someone he needed to be grateful to even as he took the ONE THING…

The sound that gritted out through teeth clamped together wasn’t one would associate with the quiet magician; it was raw and filled with rage and pain even as delicate fingers gripped the gear he was placing into one of his new batch of creations. And if the brass was marred with a tinge of green light even as he worked, well, that was his orb, a font of power, but more than that, one of knowledge, a companion that no one could steal away. The orb was his.

When people thought of magicians bringing things to life, it was always with the imagery of a dank, dark place. Yet Christian’s warehouse was well lit, with small things from home littered about here and there. A box from his sister’s cafe lay on a table that held scattered pieces of porcelain and wiring, a soldering gun still smoking from his last stint at the table. In a corner was a pile of work clothes, the suit he’d worn over to the warehouse when he’d come two days ago was neatly, carefully hung up, ready to wear back to the mansion when he decided to go back. (He knew it would have to be sooner rather than later if he wanted to escape being in trouble or worse, questioned about where he’d been.). Against one of the walls was a couch he’d managed to purchase for a good price, worn but not yet threadbare and comfortable to sink into when he finally needed a break. The rest of the workshop held his tools, materials, and his…. Work. The creations he was still working on. They were so close to being finished. A handful of them, each slightly different, if devoid of the personality that Chris imparted to all of his creations. The cavernous room was a place of work and concentration, but it was filled with something of ‘home’ as well. Minus one thing. The thing he was trying so hard to let go of with the promise that it would be okay. That he could be fine. He could go on.

There was nothing of the man, the bodyguard that Christian had come to depend on so thoroughly. Nothing that spoke of the love that Christian couldn’t seem to ignore no matter how hard he focused. The only concession to that bit of his life lay around his neck, under his tee shirt, hidden from sight, acknowledged only when he reached up to feel it there, usually as he tried to solve some problem or finally gave in to the need to eat. He had tried, of course, to leave it behind. He had settled it onto a small piece of velvet in a lockbox where no one would be able to find it, hidden via magic (Funny how he could hide other things but he’d never managed to make himself be unseen by people..) and then he’d left, only to come running back to fetch the trinket ad put it back around his neck even before he’d left the mansion. What if he needed it? What if they needed him? What if…. (But he didn’t want to know, to think on it…)

Roughly, the magician shoved the gear over the rod it belonged on, all carefully measured and crafted to be a perfect fit with the same precision of a watchmaker. It was a violent motion, but it took strength to make the large gear settle into the smooth groove where it belonged, and where Christian was small, he was also stronger than people tended to give him credit for. It slid into place with a clank, and a whir sounded from within the chassis of the clockwork figure, but only momentarily. It wasn’t done, none of them were, and Christian returned to the counter to take the next gear for the next one, shoving this one into the same slot with similar motions as he had the first, down the line, each clockwork creation whirring for a moment before settling back into the sleep of those waiting to be born. Looking into the dark eye sockets of the last in the line of robotic men, he told them, speaking to all of them, one hand on the orb that rested in his pocket, “You’ll fix everything.”
Marvel-MCU-1

330 Posts
8 Threads
Job: Billionaire Superhero
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: yes
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,691
Tony Stark- Well this version of him- was a paranoid bastard, one who’d just had a very intimate lesson with WHY that was a damn good thing, hence now no longer under the influence of the Stone he was taking his monitoring duties a lot more fucking seriously. Which is why and how he’d slowly started to catalog most of the stable energy sources in Hub- well enough that most were in rather broad categories until he could get his hands on samples to actually analyze.

But in this particular case...his drones had spotted a very familiar face in constant proximity to an unknown power source. Which...that wasn’t ominous as fuck was it?

The warehouse door slid open at his touch, light backlighting his figure; “Soo...we’ve reached the mad scientist phase. That's...interesting.” his eyes glanced across the clockwork figures. “And creepy, definitely like looking in a steampunk mirror.”

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

533 Posts
22 Threads
Nyte

Thing was, depending on how you measured energy, Christian himself was a consistent and stable source of it. Of magical energy, anyway. Oh, he ebbed and flowed, but it usually had a predictable pace to it; he gained energy at night, while he rested, and during the day he used it, only for the night to bring more, and so on. Sometimes, there were sudden spikes both up and down, when he abruptly gained or spent larger amounts of energy, but he had recently fallen into a sort of pattern with that.

He was, of course, immediately aware the moment Tony touched the door. Christian was a magician, after all, and while he might not be exactly paranoid, he did like to know if he were going to suddenly have an unexpected visitor. He hadn’t ever thought it would be the version of Tony Stark that looked far too much like him for comfort, though. He had expected Safi, maybe Belle, possible Steve or the blue eyed Tony from the mansion. Not this one. And the familiar way he greeted Chris was…

The magician stepped forward, between Tony and his creations still in progress, frowning. “They aren’t creepy. They aren’t done yet.” Shaking his head, he glanced back at the robots, “Leave them alone. What do you want?”

@kel
Marvel-MCU-1

330 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Yeaaah...no.” Tony walked further into the workshop keeping his hands tucked into his jeans pockets (for the moment) worn leather jacket half open; “Soo...why are we making clockwork robots? Because speaking as a purveyor of AI and robotics...this? This is a little unsettling.” Tony bounced on his heels a foot away from Chris, dark eyes ficking over the work bence, blue tinted lenses reporting back their findings.

“I mean don’t get my wrong. I’ve been there, course my army of robots was less gears and steampunk and more mycrolytics and circuits.” He bounced on his heels again, “And also when I made them I was part of a team defending the earth...and last i knew you hadn’t joined a boy band..?” He trailed off letting the question hang.

“So...kinda mad scientist-y.”

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

533 Posts
22 Threads
Nyte

Christian’s eyes never moved away from Tony, watching him as thought he thought that Tony would suddenly manifest a sledgehammer and bash his robots to pieces or do something even worse. He had never been a terribly trusting person; there were a few exceptions, of course, Belle and Safi and maybe Steve because Steve was Steve, he was Captain America, but they were few and far between. And he had only met this version of Tony Stark, what, once before?

Taking a single step back from Tony - too close - he frowned at the other man, shaking his head, “I can work with circuits, I just…” He looked at the robots, so similar to so many of his toys, “I like clockwork. I can still program them.”

Boy bands and robot armies. Chris snorted, “Five clockwork repair bots aren’t an army. They’re just meant to repair things. Point them at a project, and they’ll fix whatever’s broken. How is that mad science-y?”

@kel
Marvel-MCU-1

330 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Ummmhumm.” He hummed our the not exactly agreement- “So what are we needing to repair that needs a squad of man bots?” He asked again attempting to delve into the why and wherefore. Of course if this kid really was him, these sorts of questions wouldn’t exactly be eager to answer.

“So-“ he leaned in “This is more than tech here. Magic? And-“ he frowned slightly at his display. “Something else?”

Tony leaned back glancing up and down around the space. “If you wanted workspace...could always come work at the tower. Have whole levels of R&D.”

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

533 Posts
22 Threads
Nyte

It was true. Christian wasn’t as smart as Tony, he knew that, but he was still smart. He might not know a whole lot of coding, but he knew some. He wasn’t stupid. The almost patronizing tone of the question grated, and Chris glared at yet another Tony Stark, thinking he was better than him. “Anything. If someone needs something fixed, they can fix it.” He sighed, looking back toward his as yet unfinished creations, “My life, if they can. Me, maybe.” He frowned, “Probably not, though.” Pretty sure there would never be anything Chris could make that would mend what was broken in him. Hearts were pretty complex, especially the emotional kind.

“Clockwork, some other tech things that I’ve picked up around Hub, magic, and life.” That last was the key to all of Christian’s unique creations. Sure, he made jewelry and trinkets, little things, that had no real life of their own in them, but his best creations, his favorites, the ones that were well and truly special, those were always imparted with at least a little touch of life. His life.

“Trade owing one Tony Stark for another?” Christian’s lips quirked, “He doesn’t like magic. Never said anything about it, but I knew. You don’t mind it?” It was an honest question; this was a version of Tony that Chris didn’t know about, wasn’t familiar with… A Tony Stark who looked like him, and almost seemed like he was trying to be…. Nice… “Why the offer?"

@kel
Marvel-MCU-1

330 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Yeah again… ‘anything’ is really kinda on the OMAC level of possible creepy.” Tony bounced on his toes, “You do that AI litterature on your universe right? Open ended directives like that end with the humans getting ‘fixed’.”

Tony’s eyebrows raised at the ‘maybe me’ “Why do you need fixing?” he asked with resigned yet oddly sincere curiosity. “I mean you are a Tony Stark, that implies being fucked, just curious how that’s changed in a few months. Last time i saw you, seemed a happy camper?”

Magic? “Far as I am concerned ‘magic’ is just energy that hasn’t been defined by science yet.”

Owe him? Tony shrugged that's not how he saw it but he understood the comparison.

“Well in general I have a thing about nurturing talent, and since i’ve lost some…distractions, its a good time to add some, plus I can study how you manipulate ‘magic’.”

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

533 Posts
22 Threads
Nyte

Chris frowned, blinking at the reference. Was he referring to something from the comics that Chris had read growing up? Because if he was, Christian didn’t recognize it. “Huh?” Humans getting fixed. Not just any human; Christian. “Humans get ‘fixed’ all the time, Mr. Stark, it’s calling going to a doctor. Surgery. Why can’t they,” he motioned to his robots, “learn those skills? What’s to stop them? Perfectly precise machines doing what people can mess up.. Isn’t that the definition of almost any technology?”

Why? Why did he need to be fixed? “I mean other than the fact that I’m obviously a villain, if I understand your reference at all?” Christian snorted, “Or because even after everything, even after he tells me that he loves me, I can’t be with the person that I love because he’s with someone else? Some other, better, version of me that I could never live up to?!” There was pain, of course there was, but there was rage there, too, there was bitterness and confusion and heartache, “How about all of that? Is that enough that needs to be fixed, or would you like to hear more? I’ve never been a happy camper, Mr. Stark. I’ve lived my life as best as I can, and sure, sometimes I’m happy. When I’m with my sister. When I’m with… Him… Sure, I’m happy. But that’s only sometimes.”

Magic as energy that science hasn’t defined yet. Chris shrugged, “Sure, I’d buy that. I can’t completely explain what it is that I do, but it’s definitely energy, and when I use my magic, I spend that energy.” He nodded slowly, letting the idea sink in a bit. “Yeah. But it’s still magic, because I can do things that you’d think were impossible otherwise.”

Yeah, owe him. Because when you took up space in someone’s building, used their things, their resources, it was expected that there would be some sort of repayment or at the very least, gratitude. Chris didn’t really want to go from taking the space and resources of one Tony Stark who would treat him with disdain and ambivalence for another who would do the same damn thing. Especially not when he had a perfectly good warehouse with power and everything he needed on his own. Even if it was expensive and lonely. He had his work, he was content with that. “Talent.” Christian’s voice was dry as he repeated the word. Yes, he had natural talent, a reservoir of magic that refilled when he rested, but his magic also took skill, practice, to make work. He’d been using his magic for years, and refining his knowledge and skill for months now. He’d been trained in Tony and Wanda’s world. He had yet to figure out the spell to make him invisible to others, but other than that, he had come a very long way. “What do you mean by losing distractions? I mean… If I’m a distraction… How would you, um, lose me?”

@kel
Marvel-MCU-1

330 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“God don’t tell me you are legitimately this nieve!” Tony groaned flipping up his hands in a ‘give me the strength’ pose. “Fixed! Like you would a pet, kid! That's what I’m wondering about. Because take it from the AI king. Skynet is always one janky line of code away.”

Arrg! It was like talking to Steve! Tony rubbed a hand over his face. “No kid, what i’m saying is that we are ALWAYS it seems one step from doing something everyone else says is crazy for the ‘betterment of humanity’ God knows i’ve done it enough. And seems like the other Tony has the same demons. So-” he gestured at Chris. “Just hoping to get to you before you make our mistakes but in magic wand land instead of steel and code.”

Tony legitimately grimaced, paleing slightly “Yeah.” he responded suddenly quiet and solemn, “that's a Stark problem every time seems like.” Tony’s hand drifted out hovering over Chris’s shoulder. “We don’t get to be happy. Not for the long term do we?” his hand dropped slowly into place. “How old are you kid? 30ish? Learn from our mistakes. Let me maybe help you and-” his lips twitched. “Maybe I can learn from you. I never had a family not really. Mom and Dad died...and Howard well-” he shrugged. “Not super close. So-” he shrugged again moving his hand away not comfortable with casual gestures like that. “Maybe some kinda mentor or at least a cautionary tale.” he barked out half a chuckle “Someone better get use from my fuck ups anyway.”

Waving his hands Tony shook his head. “Different kinds kid. And besides I figure you are a smart one-” He smirked eyeballing Chris “Got the look about you.” he winked. “Eventually you’ll get what you need and-” his hands butterflied out. “Go forth and hopefully not make a magic skynet.”

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

533 Posts
22 Threads
Nyte

Okay, Chris sort of hated labels. He also loathed being mocked or made fun of. Naive. No, he wasn’t. He was well aware of the horrors of the world, he just.. Hadn’t realized what Mr. Stark was saying! “I don’t know what a sky net is or what code has anything to do with it, but the way you say it makes it not sound very helpful or nice.” And his creations were always meant to be both. Sometimes they weren’t really useful, but they were always nice!

With a sigh, Christian shook his head, but didn’t say anything. He might not want to be another Tony Stark, to have to consider the fact that as much as he found the man frustrating, they were fundamentally the same. That he just wasn’t the best version of himself, that he could have done so much better, that he was a pale copy in a world that honestly could have used a better version. An Iron Man version.

Imagine Gotham with Iron Man. Or Keystone. Or Bludhaven. Or the whole dang world!

He could have, should have, done so much better.

He looked up after he answered Tony, watching the man’s reaction without much expression. Happiness thus far in his life had been fleeting; something he felt primarily around two very specific people. The people he loved the best; the people his fascinating magical amulet allowed him to keep track of. When Tony’s hand dropped onto his shoulder, Christian was still a little bit tense, shoulders pulled taut, but as Tony asked about his age, as he empathized, his shoulders sagged, and he breathed out, “Yeah.” He looked up at him, “I never knew my parents. Belle is.. My sister, but not by blood. She’s just… I’ve never been without her.” Howard Stark had been a shit father. That’s what Chris knew from his comics, but he wasn’t sure that those were accurate, especially with a Tony Stark that had brown hair and eyes instead of black and blue.

Looking at Tony now with eyes that were more hopeful than suspicious, Chris told him, “I am smart. I upgraded Jonah… He’s at the mansion now, but you’ll see. He can fly now.” Because a flying vacuum might not make sense, but Jonah had deserved the extra mobility. He smiled at Tony, “Still not sure why you’d need something like that…”

@kel
Marvel-MCU-1

330 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“My kingdom for a common cultural reference.” he muttered rubbing his head; “It’s like Steve all over again.” heh wouldn’t that be funny. Except not.

“Family isn’t blood kid.” Tony agreed very seriously sincere, “Family is the idiots who keep you straight, that you can’t shake no matter what you do, and who you’ll go blind building something to fix them, or even just make them smile when they are hurting.”

Tony raised a eyebrow “who says I need it?but the world might.” His shoulders raised and lowered. “That’s part of what I and the Stark Foundation do; support and encourage smart kids.”

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

533 Posts
22 Threads
Nyte

A common cultural reference. “I’m sorry?” Because he had no idea what the reference had been to, but if he’d had it in his world he would have gotten it! Maybe. Okay, probably not, because really the most relevant thing he knew was the cake slayer.. And it was fairly likely that Tony wouldn’t know what that was. Chris sighed as his shoulders lifted and fell again slightly, “I don’t know if we’ll have one we both understand?”

The smile that slowly curled Christian’s lips up at the edges was genuine as he considered his tiny family. “Exactly.” He considered his sister; he’d do anything, go anywhere to save her. He had followed her to the end of a world and fought a magician far more powerful than he was to free her. And there was Safi, for whom Chris would sacrifice nearly anything to make sure he was safe and happy.

Chris was following Tony right up until he finished speaking. “Except that I’m not a kid…”

@kel
Marvel-MCU-1

330 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Tony just waved a hand spastically in Chris’s direction, “Close enough, sides I’m old enough to be your dad.” he snorted half amused at the thought. To say that Tony had been introduced to the perks of being a Stark young was an understatement.

“So we sponsor you; get you what you need to go heads down with out worrying about distractions and see what good for the world or worlds in this case you can come up with-” Tony shrugged again. “I’m not in it for more patents, or to steal your work. But that-” he pointed a spanner he’d picked up to play with at Johna, “Is something special. Magic, tech, whatever mix he is...well think about it. A AI that can form attachments, be a helper, for people that need that extra hand or might be living alone.” Tony’s motions grew more abrupt as some of his passion channeled into his speech, “It’s better than a AI on a phone or in the house, because he’s mobile, we can switch up the chassis to something more consumer friendly as needed. Puppy, kitten-” his fingers flicked out. “Cute UFO thing. Tiny Ironman. Who cares. The point is he could not just save lives, but make them better.” There was fire in his eyes. “Just one idea for what you are already building. Now imagine what we could do if all you had to was dream up more inventions?”

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

533 Posts
22 Threads
Nyte

Close enough? He was going to be… Chris frowned, “Really, I’m not sure that’s accurate. You can’t be more than… What, maybe forty-five? I’m going to be thirty-two. I suppose it’s not impossible, but it’s not very likely, either.”

Sponser. Chris froze at the words. He understood what companies might do in that sort of situation. Not only would they try to take production of his creations out of his hands, but they would try to mass produce whatever he made, and Jonah… “He,” Christian corrected, “Jonah is a he, not a that or an it.” The little roomba hovered close to his creator, beeping gently to the magician.

Thing was, though, with the new understanding of magic that Christian had, he could adapt. Like Tony said, a mixture of magic and technology. An AI that could feel and form attachments. Glancing back over his shoulder to the robots that stood motionless, Christian’s mind whirled. More AI, less hopeful magic, maybe. Huh. Chris turned his gaze back to Tony, eyes cautious, shrewd, “And when I make something you like? When you decide to mass produce something that takes magic to make?” The idea of being to spend his days making things, creating prototypes that would help people live better, more fulfilling lives, was one hell of a dream, but he wasn’t sure how Tony would be able to mass produce magic.

There was also the worry that he’d lose any and all control over what was made, how much… And that idea was scary.

@kel
Marvel-MCU-1

330 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Part of what we figure out.” Tony waved a hand to dismiss the problem, “the other guy-“ meaning the other Tony- “‘s played the magic game before so I know it’s possible. And-“ Tony spread his hands the charismatic grin that had drawn people to him since he was a kid following the motion. “That’s more than I need. Part of R&D is figuring out how to take what works on the small scale and pushing it out to be assessable to the mass consumer.” Tony’s eyes warmed with genuine warmth- “ he-“ he corrected himself- “is special and I’d love to Introduce him to my first AI’s.” He had the feeling Chris would be able to appreciate just what U and Dummy stood for; both as prototypes that had never been ‘fixed’ and for their own unique charms.

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

533 Posts
22 Threads
Nyte

Small to large scale. That was what Christian was concerned about. Sure, some of his things, the camera automatons, the ones that just danced or played or whatnot, those weren’t problems. They didn’t take all that much magic to create, though they’d take more to make them last longer, but… “What if I make something, discover something, that I don’t want made available to the mass consumer, Tony?” He looked at the other man steadily, brown eyes meeting identical if older brown eyes, “Do I get to say no then, even if you’re...sponsoring me?” Magic had a price, it always had a price, and Christian didn’t want to become little more than a battery. That was frightening. More than frightening.

Jonah was special. Christian’s entire face softened when they discussed the little roomba. Special was right. But he was especially special to Chris. And Tony wanted to introduce him to his first AI’s. Grinning, Chris stepped closer to Tony, nodding, “O...okay. Jonah could definitely use friends.” He was still cautious, still concerned, but at the same time it was hard to say no to something like this, something that could be such a great opportunity for his little friend. “I think we’d like that,” he affirmed to Tony even as Jonah launched into a series of happy and excited beeps and soft whirling sounds.

@kel