DC-DCTVU-1

455 Posts
20 Threads
Job: PA/Magician
Ship Status: Single with Complications
Sexual Orientation: Pan-Romantic
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,373
The room Tony let him use in the mansion was not a small one. In the end, Christian had pushed the bed all the way up against the wall (no one else used it so the limited access wasn’t an issue) and had placed most of his belongings in the closet to afford him more space to work. In fact, the room resembled a workshop far more than it did a bedroom anymore. It still hadn’t been big enough.

In a borough that housed angels, he had found a place; abandoned and unused, a warehouse of some kind. The power worked, though, and there was a long counter. It had been easy to bring tools and materials here, where he could work alone, unmolested and without the sense that someone might come to interrupt him. A place that didn’t belong to someone he needed to be grateful to even as he took the ONE THING…

The sound that gritted out through teeth clamped together wasn’t one would associate with the quiet magician; it was raw and filled with rage and pain even as delicate fingers gripped the gear he was placing into one of his new batch of creations. And if the brass was marred with a tinge of green light even as he worked, well, that was his orb, a font of power, but more than that, one of knowledge, a companion that no one could steal away. The orb was his.

When people thought of magicians bringing things to life, it was always with the imagery of a dank, dark place. Yet Christian’s warehouse was well lit, with small things from home littered about here and there. A box from his sister’s cafe lay on a table that held scattered pieces of porcelain and wiring, a soldering gun still smoking from his last stint at the table. In a corner was a pile of work clothes, the suit he’d worn over to the warehouse when he’d come two days ago was neatly, carefully hung up, ready to wear back to the mansion when he decided to go back. (He knew it would have to be sooner rather than later if he wanted to escape being in trouble or worse, questioned about where he’d been.). Against one of the walls was a couch he’d managed to purchase for a good price, worn but not yet threadbare and comfortable to sink into when he finally needed a break. The rest of the workshop held his tools, materials, and his…. Work. The creations he was still working on. They were so close to being finished. A handful of them, each slightly different, if devoid of the personality that Chris imparted to all of his creations. The cavernous room was a place of work and concentration, but it was filled with something of ‘home’ as well. Minus one thing. The thing he was trying so hard to let go of with the promise that it would be okay. That he could be fine. He could go on.

There was nothing of the man, the bodyguard that Christian had come to depend on so thoroughly. Nothing that spoke of the love that Christian couldn’t seem to ignore no matter how hard he focused. The only concession to that bit of his life lay around his neck, under his tee shirt, hidden from sight, acknowledged only when he reached up to feel it there, usually as he tried to solve some problem or finally gave in to the need to eat. He had tried, of course, to leave it behind. He had settled it onto a small piece of velvet in a lockbox where no one would be able to find it, hidden via magic (Funny how he could hide other things but he’d never managed to make himself be unseen by people..) and then he’d left, only to come running back to fetch the trinket ad put it back around his neck even before he’d left the mansion. What if he needed it? What if they needed him? What if…. (But he didn’t want to know, to think on it…)

Roughly, the magician shoved the gear over the rod it belonged on, all carefully measured and crafted to be a perfect fit with the same precision of a watchmaker. It was a violent motion, but it took strength to make the large gear settle into the smooth groove where it belonged, and where Christian was small, he was also stronger than people tended to give him credit for. It slid into place with a clank, and a whir sounded from within the chassis of the clockwork figure, but only momentarily. It wasn’t done, none of them were, and Christian returned to the counter to take the next gear for the next one, shoving this one into the same slot with similar motions as he had the first, down the line, each clockwork creation whirring for a moment before settling back into the sleep of those waiting to be born. Looking into the dark eye sockets of the last in the line of robotic men, he told them, speaking to all of them, one hand on the orb that rested in his pocket, “You’ll fix everything.”
Marvel-MCU-1

322 Posts
8 Threads
Job: Billionaire Superhero
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: yes
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,528
Tony Stark- Well this version of him- was a paranoid bastard, one who’d just had a very intimate lesson with WHY that was a damn good thing, hence now no longer under the influence of the Stone he was taking his monitoring duties a lot more fucking seriously. Which is why and how he’d slowly started to catalog most of the stable energy sources in Hub- well enough that most were in rather broad categories until he could get his hands on samples to actually analyze.

But in this particular case...his drones had spotted a very familiar face in constant proximity to an unknown power source. Which...that wasn’t ominous as fuck was it?

The warehouse door slid open at his touch, light backlighting his figure; “Soo...we’ve reached the mad scientist phase. That's...interesting.” his eyes glanced across the clockwork figures. “And creepy, definitely like looking in a steampunk mirror.”

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

455 Posts
20 Threads
Nyte

Thing was, depending on how you measured energy, Christian himself was a consistent and stable source of it. Of magical energy, anyway. Oh, he ebbed and flowed, but it usually had a predictable pace to it; he gained energy at night, while he rested, and during the day he used it, only for the night to bring more, and so on. Sometimes, there were sudden spikes both up and down, when he abruptly gained or spent larger amounts of energy, but he had recently fallen into a sort of pattern with that.

He was, of course, immediately aware the moment Tony touched the door. Christian was a magician, after all, and while he might not be exactly paranoid, he did like to know if he were going to suddenly have an unexpected visitor. He hadn’t ever thought it would be the version of Tony Stark that looked far too much like him for comfort, though. He had expected Safi, maybe Belle, possible Steve or the blue eyed Tony from the mansion. Not this one. And the familiar way he greeted Chris was…

The magician stepped forward, between Tony and his creations still in progress, frowning. “They aren’t creepy. They aren’t done yet.” Shaking his head, he glanced back at the robots, “Leave them alone. What do you want?”

@kel
Marvel-MCU-1

322 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Yeaaah...no.” Tony walked further into the workshop keeping his hands tucked into his jeans pockets (for the moment) worn leather jacket half open; “Soo...why are we making clockwork robots? Because speaking as a purveyor of AI and robotics...this? This is a little unsettling.” Tony bounced on his heels a foot away from Chris, dark eyes ficking over the work bence, blue tinted lenses reporting back their findings.

“I mean don’t get my wrong. I’ve been there, course my army of robots was less gears and steampunk and more mycrolytics and circuits.” He bounced on his heels again, “And also when I made them I was part of a team defending the earth...and last i knew you hadn’t joined a boy band..?” He trailed off letting the question hang.

“So...kinda mad scientist-y.”

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

455 Posts
20 Threads
Nyte

Christian’s eyes never moved away from Tony, watching him as thought he thought that Tony would suddenly manifest a sledgehammer and bash his robots to pieces or do something even worse. He had never been a terribly trusting person; there were a few exceptions, of course, Belle and Safi and maybe Steve because Steve was Steve, he was Captain America, but they were few and far between. And he had only met this version of Tony Stark, what, once before?

Taking a single step back from Tony - too close - he frowned at the other man, shaking his head, “I can work with circuits, I just…” He looked at the robots, so similar to so many of his toys, “I like clockwork. I can still program them.”

Boy bands and robot armies. Chris snorted, “Five clockwork repair bots aren’t an army. They’re just meant to repair things. Point them at a project, and they’ll fix whatever’s broken. How is that mad science-y?”

@kel
Marvel-MCU-1

322 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Ummmhumm.” He hummed our the not exactly agreement- “So what are we needing to repair that needs a squad of man bots?” He asked again attempting to delve into the why and wherefore. Of course if this kid really was him, these sorts of questions wouldn’t exactly be eager to answer.

“So-“ he leaned in “This is more than tech here. Magic? And-“ he frowned slightly at his display. “Something else?”

Tony leaned back glancing up and down around the space. “If you wanted workspace...could always come work at the tower. Have whole levels of R&D.”

@eve
DC-DCTVU-1

455 Posts
20 Threads
Nyte

It was true. Christian wasn’t as smart as Tony, he knew that, but he was still smart. He might not know a whole lot of coding, but he knew some. He wasn’t stupid. The almost patronizing tone of the question grated, and Chris glared at yet another Tony Stark, thinking he was better than him. “Anything. If someone needs something fixed, they can fix it.” He sighed, looking back toward his as yet unfinished creations, “My life, if they can. Me, maybe.” He frowned, “Probably not, though.” Pretty sure there would never be anything Chris could make that would mend what was broken in him. Hearts were pretty complex, especially the emotional kind.

“Clockwork, some other tech things that I’ve picked up around Hub, magic, and life.” That last was the key to all of Christian’s unique creations. Sure, he made jewelry and trinkets, little things, that had no real life of their own in them, but his best creations, his favorites, the ones that were well and truly special, those were always imparted with at least a little touch of life. His life.

“Trade owing one Tony Stark for another?” Christian’s lips quirked, “He doesn’t like magic. Never said anything about it, but I knew. You don’t mind it?” It was an honest question; this was a version of Tony that Chris didn’t know about, wasn’t familiar with… A Tony Stark who looked like him, and almost seemed like he was trying to be…. Nice… “Why the offer?"

@kel