244 Posts
10 Threads
Job: Rogue Superhero
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 844
First Sight

Designs? Alright, so Steve knew that Tony wasn’t being serious. He couldn’t be being serious. Could he? No. Friday was definitely being sarcastic.

Tony Stark was going to be the end of him. He’d known that from… Not quite the beginning, but quickly enough. The moment that he saw Iron Man take hold of a nuclear warhead and fly it through a wormhole knowing it was a one way trip. But Tony had come back from it. Still, that had stayed with Steve. And even before that rather defining moment in their history, there had been the argument on the helicarrier, and more importantly, how they had worked together to save that very helicarrier only minutes later.

Yeah. That was pretty much their whole relationship.

“Why would having a body stop you from keeping Tony in line?” Oh, there was definitely a playful twist to his tone; but just a hint of seriousness, too. Tony was incredibly brilliant, a gifted mind, but the fact of the matter was that without someone to help him, he might very well forget to eat, or ignore safety precautions to the extent of causing himself harm. The sad look from Tony was nearly mirrored by Steve.

Not for the first time, Steve wished he could just go back and fix things before they got to this point. But that wasn’t possible. “I can’t say I blame you.” Steve closed his eyes for just a moment, wishing he could forget just one 72 period himself. “If I could forget, I’m not sure I’d choose to try to remember, either.” It hurt to consider that Tony might never be able to forgive him, he might never have closure, but if Tony were happier not remembering? Then Steve wouldn’t, couldn’t, begrudge him that.

Tony’s sigh wasn’t promising. Steve’s shoulders fell just a smidge, and Steve looked away just a little bit. “I know when I’m wrong, Tony, not always right away, maybe, but I know I’ve wronged you. And even if you can’t remember it, that doesn’t mean I can forget. I made mistakes, but I learned from them, too.” He blinked and looked around the tower, “Well, to be honest, I have no idea what, if anything, you’ve done to the tower.” He looked to the ceiling, “I’m not sure what I can tell you, with your memory loss, Tony.” He didn’t want to do more harm to Tony than he was already responsible for, “What do you think, Friday?”

“That’s not going away anytime soon.”
Marvel-MCU-1

292 Posts
8 Threads
Job: Billionaire Superhero
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: yes
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 959
At this point not even Tony knew if he was being serious.

What was true was that if Friday ever did express a desire to expand her knowledge with Steve or anyone, Tony would make sure she had what she needed to do that.

Friday paused to answer steve honestly. “From what I have observed, flesh is very...distracting. And I would not be able to give the attention. Needed.”

“That's not-” Tony shook his head mulishly before she cut him off. “And also sticky, smelly, and all together more trouble than it's worth.” She finished primly.

Tony turned an amused intimate look on Steve, “Oh it's not all that bad…the sticky bits are what make bodies fun.”

But yay back to less fun topics; “Yay hide things from Tony hour continues.” he grumped feeling the aches in his body protesting violently to his actions.

“I would be happy to give you a brief Sir,” Friday began primly, “However you HAVE just awakened from major surgery and there has been some concern expressed that you not over extend yourself.”

Tony rolled his eyes “Right fine. I’ll be good-” A muffled snert came from the speakers “NO MATTER WHAT, Miss Sassy pants thinks.”
Marvel-MCU

244 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

First Sight

Oooookay, this was a conversation that Tony and Friday really did not need Steve present for. But the fact of the matter was that Friday was still speaking to him, and he was loathe to walk away from her when she was speaking to him. (And even in a somewhat nice way at that!) So he stayed.

And quickly wished he hadn’t. “Well, yes, it can be somewhat distracting at times, Friday, but that’s part of the experience…” The interaction between Friday and Tony was both amusing, and a little offensive. Because really, being human, having a body, was not as gross as Friday was making it out to be.

”...the sticky bits are what make bodies fun.”

Steve flushed with embarrassment, but he nodded, “Tony has a point, Friday.” Did he find the fact that he was stuck agreeing with Tony about this, vocally, embarrassing and uncomfortable? Hell yes, he did. But he was going to be honest with Friday, even if it meant that he’d be just this side of mortified.

And then the amusement came to an abrupt end and Steve sighed. “I’m… We aren’t hiding things so much as we’re not sure you’re physically ready to deal with everything all at once right now.” Friday also said more or less the same thing. That was actually a little bit rewarding, to know that Friday agreed with him. But at the same time, “Tony, if you really want to know, I will sit down and try to explain what I know. Which isn’t really a ton, but it’s something. Just...please don’t overdo it, Tony. It’s not so important that it can’t wait until you’re better.”

Marvel-MCU-1

292 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Every Time someone tells me that it's a lie.” the half smile Tony had been maintaining died, leaving him looking his actual age, grey, wan, and oh like a guy that had just woken up from brain surgery.
“You get it right? How i’m thinking? That what can be worse than what I already know? Year lost, you and me broken, how much worse is it going to get Steve?” Tony asked tiredly. Rubbing his face, Tony ignored the way his hands were shaking, just like he ignored the pull of muscles protesting against his even being awake let alone daring to move.

A the tablet in Steve’s hand vibrated a message appearing, *Captain Rogers, Sir requires an addition to his coffee. If you would please add a measure. There is a bottle near the coffee machine.* Friday could move the bottle into the room, she couldn’t get it INTO the mug though.

Friday hoped that she wouldn’t have to explain WHY Tony needed to be medicated in this way, the effects of Delirium tremens, was not something she really wanted to get into with the super solider. Not now or really ever.

“Just tell me.” Tony demanded at last, missing the exchange between Steve and his AI.
Marvel-MCU

244 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

First Sight

A lie. Tony thought he was lying to him. “No, Tony. I learn from my mistakes. Lying to you doesn’t help. It only makes things so much worse. Same with secrets.” Steve reached up to rub his face with his free hand. Tony looked so….bad. Sure, he was alive, awake, and sensible, but he was also hurt and not yet recovered from his ordeal. He had just had brain surgery.

While Tony spoke, explaining what he was thinking, where he was coming from, Steve cautiously reached out to clasp the smaller man’s shoulder gently. “Yes, you’ve lost a year of time. We are… Not great. I’d like to work on that, Tony. I want to make things right between us, because this? How it’s been?” Steve shook his head, “If you were happy, I’d live with it, but are you? And I know you can’t answer that.” Friday’s treatment of him, though, that made him think that Tony hadn’t been okay over the last year. “But this? It’s okay.”

He wasn’t lying to Tony. Hell, Hub had given Steve a place where he could just… Fit in. Where he could relax and blend in and no one called him out, no one looked at him like he was a hero or a criminal. There were no expectations, and it was so good. The vibration of the tablet caught his attention, and Steve frowned slightly at what he saw next to the coffee maker, taking the mug to do as Friday requested. Still, it worried him. He had seen Tony’s current situation, and… With a soft sigh, he set the tablet on the counter, typing out a small reply for Friday. Justin needs to be made aware, please. So he knows in case he needs to prescribe new medications for Tony. How bad is it? He trusted Friday to understand that he wasn’t asking about the DT’s, but rather about the drinking. God, had he contributed to this??

Of course he had. He had betrayed Tony. Steve poured just enough from the bottle into the coffee, mixing it wordlessly. In a situation between having to choose between withdrawal symptoms and how the alcohol might affect Tony’s health, he had to figure that Friday would know best. And that she’d know if there were any possibility that the mixture would hurt Tony with his current medications. Setting the mug down next to Tony for the other man to pick up on his own, Steve sat down, looking blankly at the tablet for a moment as he collected his thoughts. “I don’t know all that much. I’m not a scientist. You or Bruce would probably understand things better. From what I’ve been able to piece together, this place isn’t part of our world, but instead a place where… It’s connected somehow. To our world, and other worlds? So the tower is different, because it’s not entirely our tower.” He looked at Tony, blue eyes concerned and careful, “We’re safe, Tony. This place is safe. I’ve been here for a bit now. And when you’re more recovered, I can show you, okay?”

Marvel-MCU-1

292 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

I am Iron Man
Sometimes you gotta run before you can walk.

Genius, billionaire, playboy philanthropist
Well that was…deep.

Tony didn’t do emotions at all. ”Steve…” what was he suppose to say? This missing year lay between them a barrier that he was willing to ignore but that Steve wasn’t able to meet him across. ”Common Steve, i’m always good.” Tony plastered on his best for the press smile, to exhausted to make it reach his eyes, or to fill the cracks it couldn’t cover.

When Steve turned to play with the coffee maker Tony’s eyes slipped shut, taking the unobserved moments to let unfiltered pain through. Emotional, physical, did it fucking matter? The arc reactor whined under his hand, pressed against his chest, rubbing the ache that never could heal. A hole in his heart; right that wasn’t too fucking on point or anything.

*Enough that he can’t go through withdrawal at this point.* was all she would say about that, protecting her creator’s privacy and dignity.

When he opened his eyes it was to Captain America handing him a doctored mug of cooled coffee. Well fuck. Taking the mug, he kinda had to take a sip now didn’t he? Fuck this was all very Not Good.

That more than anything else told Tony how bad the last missing year was, because from when he remembered? He’d been working on getting sober. So the fact that his AI (yes he noted the tablet buzzing) and Steve conspired to doctor his coffee when he was just out of surgery told him that it was even worse than he could have imagined.

Which considering his mind? Was a feat.

The slow familiar burn of the first sip made Tony irrationally angry that it felt relaxing. He hated to be dependent on anything and he knew that this was a problem, one he’d been low key dealing with.

“And it's going to destroy our dimension?” He guessed eyes narrowed, over taxed mind already spinning out to combat the assumed threat.

“Not so far as I have been able to determine sir.” Friday chimed in quick to dispel that notion for lack of data.

“Wait..thats it?” Sure it was a problem but it wasn’t the worst thing possible

“And there seems to be no current way to return to our dimension.” the AI added helpfully.

”Oh.” the genius relaxed leaning back, ”That's doable.” sure it was bad, but he could figure out a way home, he had faith in his own genius. Fingers tapped out a fitful rhythm against his reactor, echoing the pattern of his thoughts. “I’ll need a lab-”

“Yes sir as soon as you are mobile I have a space prepared.” came the faithful response.

”Right moblie. Comon Steve. Upsadaisy, lets put the muscles to the test.” Tony gestured for Steve to help him up and out of bed.

Marvel-MCU

244 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

First Sight

Neither of them were so great at dealing with emotional anything. Steve was trying, damn it, but this wasn’t an easy situation. But of course it wasn’t; Tony Stark was involved, and as important as Tony was to Steve, nothing about the man was ever easy.

Tony was ever the challenge, and while that was often charming, it was also downright infuriating at times. Such as right now.

Common Steve, I’m always good.”

Steve actually snorted out loud at the statement, eyebrows shooting upward in surprise before his expression shifted into a deep frown that conveyed both disbelief and concern. It was a look that Steve hadn’t worn in a while, but he made an exception just now. ”Now who’s hiding things?” Steve recognized the smile for what it was: fake. Steve’s hand reached out, toward Tony, as though to pat his shoulder, and then paused mid-air as he realized that that might not be the best idea before dropping to his side.

It was a relief when Friday messaged him to fix the coffee. An excuse to busy his hands, something that needed doing, something to focus on if only for a few moments. A reason to not look at Tony for a moment. It wasn’t much, really, and honestly, it hurt him to see how bad things had gotten for the other man. Tony had been doing better, maybe not great, but as far as Steve knew withdrawal wasn’t something they had to really be concerned with before what had happened.

He could hear the arc reactor. It was another thing that worried him. Why was it there? Tony had had it removed, so why was it back? What had happened to require it again? What had Steve left Tony to deal with with only a few people to stand with him??

Settling into the chair beside Tony, Steve rested his elbows on his knees and shifted forward, looking down to his hands. Never easy for them. Because yes, Captain America had just given Tony Stark alcohol almost immediately after brain surgery. But it was better than risking the more devastating symptoms that might have cropped up without it.

It was so much easier to focus on answering Tony’s questions, blue eyes looking up to meet Tony’s, ”No?” Because as far as he knew Hub was stable, and wasn’t bother anyone, really. Unless you stumbled down the wrong alley in Coney Island or crashed from wherever Tony had been. ”Yeah, pretty much… That’s it.” And if he didn’t sound overly enthused? Well, Steve hadn’t been, and still wasn’t, in a hurry to get back ‘home.’ But he figured Tony likely was; Tony had responsibilities and a life to get back to. Steve… Didn’t.

Tony’s insistence that he be picked up and moved was a surprise. Not that he wanted to be somewhere else, Steve understood that desire quite well, but to trust Steve like that? It was unexpected. Still, Steve chuckled, moving to gather the wires and leads that were attached to Tony so they could be pulled along, Steve moved to pick up Tony in order to carry him. He didn’t expect much resistance, at least not until they got to the elevator. ”Take us up, Friday.” Steve knew precisely where the lab was, of course, the tower had been his home once, but he had no intention of letting Tony work himself to an early grave. He needed rest now, and rest he would get. ”Once you’re able to make your own way to the lab you’re more than welcome to, Tony.” Until then, well, Steve figured Tony didn’t have much of a choice in the matter. And yes, Tony would be unhappy with him, but it wasn’t as though Tony didn’t have a litany of reasons to be unhappy with him.

Marvel-MCU-1

292 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

I am Iron Man

Well sorry for being high maintenance. That's what came of trying to solve every problem before it became world ending.

hiding? He was trying to make the other man relax!

The fact that Steve could still see through his facade shouldn't have been as endearing as he found it. A year might have passed but Steve still knew him...still wanted to see him, see through his easy masks. The hand dropped between them seemed to be far too on point how they had changed in the year Tony didn’t remember.

Fuck that hurt.

Tapping over his reactor was habit, one that had been established in the aftermath of the traumatic placement of the device. The lack of sensation, combined with the faint vibrations traveling through his remaining chest plate was...interesting, yeah lets say ‘interesting’. Much less drastic word than ‘heartbreaking’.

Caught up in his mental calculations Tony missed the fact that Steve didn’t seem to be that stressed about being there...or that enthusiastic to go home.

What he DID notice was the sudden bridal carry! “Umm Cap? Not a damsel here?” He wasn’t going to relax into the hold, nope not falling into that trap! He was in no way automatically snuggling into the secure hold! When his protest seemed to fall on deaf ears Tony just rolled his eyes “Right. Onward trusty steed-” Except his ride was going the wrong way. “Umm unless i flipped the design in the last year that's not how to get to the lab.” His statement was clearly posed as a demand at his AI or Steve.

”No Sir. I believe Captain Rogers is intending to put you to bed.” Friday paused contemplating her next words as well as ‘waking up’ Tony’s room. “Please be advised that Sir is not as they say ‘up’ for any strenuous activity.”

The look Tony shot his AI was startelement mixed with anger. “Not really a problem is it Steve.” Annd some of that anger might have bled into his tone addressing Steve.

Marvel-MCU

244 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

First Sight

If Steve knew how Tony was taking what he was saying, what were meant to be lighthearted jests, he’d feel horrible and try to explain himself better... But in a way, he could see. The fake media smile nearly broke Steve's heart, being aimed at him. But he didn't really deserve Tony's real expressions anymore; he hadn't earned back that trust. Yet. That just meant he had to keep working at it.

Still, nowhere near enough time had passed, not enough had changed, that Steve didn't immediately see Tony's smile for what it was. He was pretty sure that Tony would be able to see through his own stoicism, too, if he wanted.

Steve wanted to comfort Tony, but he couldn't be sure that it would be all that welcomed.

And then Tony drew Steve's attention to his chest. Or rather, to the arc reactor that took space upon it. The arc reactor that hadn't been there when Steve had last seen him. In Siberia. When they had… Steve didn't realize that he was staring, though it wasn’t really staring; his eyes weren't really seeing Tony or his reactor, no, Steve’s thoughts were back in a bunker in Siberia, seeing terror and hurt on Tony's face, only slightly hidden by his hands, raised to protect his face and neck. Because Tony had thought that he'd...

It was a relief to be needed, even if it were just to carry Tony around. The quiet chuckle that tumbled out of Steve was a rush of released stresses as well as amusement when Tony protested. "No, definitely not a damsel. But again, you just had brain surgery. You shouldn't be pushing yourself.” Steed, really, Stark? Steve automatically rolled his eyes good-naturedly, wondering how long it would take Tony to realize that they weren’t -

Well, that answered that question. Friday answered Tony's question for him, which was nice of her. And then she continued on, and Steve paused a moment between steps, not faltering, not even a little bit, but hesitating minutely while he processed what he had heard to be sure that she had just implied what he thought she had implied.

'Up' for 'strenuous activity'.

Oh good gracious. "Friday..." Steve's voice was just slightly off, more strained than it would usually be, and if Tony were paying attention, his body temperature rose a little, and he definitely had taken on a pinker than usual hue. It was annoying, how easily he blushed.

The anger in Tony's voice when he spoke to steve was unexpected, and Steve winced at it before he frowned. Why the anger? "Hey, Tony, relax... Friday just likes giving me some flak. Nothing to be angry about.” His tone was placating, but just a bit hurt, too. Steve didn’t understand why Tony seemed angry with him. Had he done something?

Marvel-MCU-1

292 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

I am Iron Man

“See now you’ve embarrassed Cap.” Tony was in angry babble mode; he didn’t want to be having this conversation his AI had initiated, and he didn’t want Steve to be made more aware of how fucking uncomfortable this moment was. So angry babbles.

”This is why we can’t have nice things Friday.” was there more bitter than babble there? Yes yes there was. And yes Steve HAD done something! He’d said as much, and in this particular moment Tony was having a hard time being adult about all the things he didn’t know were going on. He hated being in the dark.

It was time to spend some quality time with his AI and tech, find out where they were, what he was missing, and how to get home. Because this? This was awkward as fuck and the future didn’t seem much better for that.

”Fine Rogers, just set me down over there next to that horrible horrible statue, like really who would have something like that?” Tony gestured to a lounge chair next to what was a simple abstract metal sculpture that at any other time Tony would have probably appreciated, but at the moment he needed something to focus his ire on.

”One would assume you do sir.”[/b] the AI didn’t sound humbled at all, keeping Tony distracted was...well it wasn’t the best way but it was working.

”Enough from you little miss!” Tony’s snap still had some affection in it but it was a far cry from the teasing tone he normally adopted with his AI’s.

Marvel-MCU

244 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Embarrassed? Tony was… Huh. How long had it been since Steve had really seen Tony go on like this? And do so somewhat angrily? Since… Ultron, maybe? Maybe. He would never admit it out loud, but he had missed Tony's babbling. He had not, however, missed the angry version. At all.

Steve knew that Tony was upset, but not the why of it. And while yes, he was fully aware of just what he had done a year ago, of course, but thus far Tony had acted as though he didn't mind what had happened, or even the fact that he didn't know. Which had been a surprise, but a good one. Of course, it was a little out of character, but Steve had wondered if Tony had just thought he would be better off not knowing. Still, knowing that Tony was upset, Steve gave him a gentle, nearly unconscious squeeze to comfort him.

Looking at the sculpture, it wasn't so bad. It wasn't exactly Steve’s speed, he preferred realism to abstract, but he could still appreciate abstract art, especially in sculptures. Abstract in painting was less enthusing. “You have something like that, apparently.” Steve chuckled when he and Friday had the same thought. “I disagree with it being horrible though. I mean, it's not necessarily what I’d prefer, but…” Steve shrugged, not allowing himself to react to the use of his last name.

It had been a while (before Siberia anyway) since Tony had used his last name when they were just talking. Then again, he knew that things were bound to change. Just because Tony didn't remember what had happened between them didn't mean that he wasn't angry about it.

Carefully, Steve deposited Tony into the chair, making sure he was comfortable before moving to grab a tablet and a blanket to set beside Tony within easy reach, adding a pillow beside the two items as an afterthought, useable for one of any several things Tony might need. “Be nice, Tony. She's had just as difficult a day as you, you know. And she had to assist with surgery.” There was concern in Steve's tone, not for Friday, which was obvious due to how he was looking at Tony. “You're okay? Can I get you anything else?” It wasn't quite naked worry, but Steve’s expression was still concerned and just slightly confused.
Marvel-MCU-1

292 Posts
8 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

I am Iron Man

He wanted to be left alone, the wounds physical and emotional wore down his defences, he just wanted time to lick them in peace; work on what he had to, get his shit done and focus. What he didn’t want was Steve solicitously hovering over him making him need to think about everything he said and how it could be taken in consideration for events he didn’t remember.

”Well no accounting for taste” he shrugged flinching as his body protested the movement, ”Not me, Friday! Get rid of it would you.” he’d made a stink about it and now the normally inoffensive statue would be a reminder that he wanted to be not….reminded of.

”I’m fine Cap. Go shoo. I’ll figure out how to get us home. Go...eat or something.” Tony snagged the tablet, ignoring how his eyes didn’t want to focus; no worse than 72 hours awake, he could work though it, hed done it before.

Marvel-MCU

244 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

First Sight

No one always got what they wanted. What Steve wanted was to be able to fix things between himself and Tony. He wanted to see Tony smile and mean it. He wanted to leave these feelings of guilt, regret, and remorse behind. Preferably for good. But Steve knew what it was to want to be left in peace and not get even a chance for it.

With a sigh, Steve shrugged a little, if Tony wanted the sculpture gone, then Steve would remove the sculpture. It wasn’t that big of a deal, and he had a few ideas of places where it might go that wouldn’t be as offensive to the billionaire. And if (or more likely when) Tony decided he missed the piece of artwork, Steve would know where it was in order to return it to it’s original place. Win-win. Those sorts of situations didn’t come along too often, so he was happy to get one, even a small one, when he had the opportunity.

Tony was shooing him away. With a sigh, Steve shook his head, ”I’ve got it, Friday. Tony, just… Promise you’ll get some rest, okay? You need rest in order to heal.” Steve moved to the sculpture and picked it up, carrying it from beside where Tony now sat toward the door. ”Right. Eat. Or something. I’ll see you...later.”

He would worry, and he would check back in with Tony, but there was little he could do to stop worrying (if he even cared to), and he wouldn’t check on Tony again for a good while. After dropping the sculpture off in the art studio, Steve left. Instead of heading to the kitchen to eat, Steve made his way to the gym. Maybe some time with the heavy bag would take his mind off of everything.