Thread Contributor: SethComing Home Tag: Bes
OC-OC

126 Posts
12 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,464
Seth echoed Bes’ contemplation; taking the game as seriously as his companion as he played. If Bes wanted a real game, Seth would give him one, even if he didn’t mind losing to the younger god. That didn’t mean he wouldn’t try. The comment about his memory earned a thoughtful frown, devoid of anger, but it held a certain sadness, “Not enough. They’re just…. Husks. Ghosts.” Family and home was also filled with loss, as was the Underworld.
OC-OC

43 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Yes. His domains for all his sisters complaints otherwise held their own sadness. He promised the end would be happy, he never said the journey would not be heartrending.

Bes cast out his domain, letting it seep into the fabric of his father’s home. The old ghosts of his cousins were bare whispers against his power.

For some the best ending was to die so a beloved could live. There were some echos here that seemed to agree, others that still held the faint tinge of rage.

“Memories are all mortals are left with.” Bes made his moves, a soft slip of stone figures across the board “They remember the life lived. And not the loss.”
OC-OC

126 Posts
12 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Seth had not expected life to be entirely pleasant. Perhaps when he had been so very young he had, but his own family and the human lands they had presided over had taught him the truth, and they had done a rather thorough job of it. Still, he was left with losses that never ended, his long life ensured as much…. But those losses weren’t the ones that hurt the most, not really.

He looked at his youngest son, “But we are not mortals, Bes. When we die, if we die, it is not mere decades later. There is no guarantee of reunion or peace.” He looked at his board as though considering the pieces, “But memory is one thing we do have.”
OC-OC

43 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Bes just smiled softly, he wasn’t Fate yet he was tied intrinsically to it, and perhaps held more power than that power creature in a strange way; he could chart the path she could only held the ship to the corse. And his Father had not yet finished his story.

“There is no guarantee for mortals.” He pointed out mildly; “That is why they call it faith.” His teeth flashed in a grin.

Bes, while he did not understand fully *why*, knew his father has chosen not to resurrect or reincarnate the lost gods who still lingered. Having spent a milenium watching his mother rampage across universes he at least had an inkling.
OC-OC

126 Posts
12 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Seth worked alongside Fate as well. In some universes he acted as such, but not in all. This time, Seth did not look up from the board, though it obvious he was. It truly lacks looking at it anymore, “I keep families together if I can.” He had never liked separating those who truly loved each other. No, he preferred to let lovers stay together, soft hearted as he was. “Orpheus still sometimes plays for Eurydice under the oak in the garden.”

He didn’t resurrect the other gods because he knew that history was ever likely to repeat itself, especially amongst beings like them. He wasn’t interested in killing his family again, or of fighting against gods he cared for. He didn’t want to watch them die again, either. It was the same reason he was so cautious with his children, why he strained so hard to keep from loving them too much.
OC-OC

43 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“That is kind of You.” Bes moved capturing a jackal, he intentionally left his main courser open seemly in pursuit of gaining that one piece.

Bes leaned back letting his power soak into the world around him, laying seeds.
OC-OC

126 Posts
12 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

People did not often call him kind. They called him a bastard, they called him cruel. The older god’s shoulders rose and fell in the approximation of a hug, “Tell them that. All they see is that I’ve taken their lives from them and set them here.” His head cocked to the side as he finished speaking, “Not all of them. But many.” There were those souls happy to be free from life. Those who had been ill for so long, or who had lost a love and suffered through life to be reunited.

Seth moved, racing his jackals along the board. His attention was no longer fully on the game; now, he was focused on the conversation, caring far more for that than who won on the board. “Why come here, son? It’s dark and solemn and doesn’t seem a place where one would find such a person.” It was a compliment and a question; he wasn’t upset his son was here, but rather curious instead.
OC-OC

43 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Bes noted the waning attention and turned his own away, “they know. Even if it is at the end they know.” Bes let his power warm the dark halls, creeping into the cracks.

He could give a dozen true enough answers, but the reality was; “Because you let me.” Seth held enough power to bar him from his domain if he desired, but he’d not stopped Bes.

“I was needed.” Bes smiled softly, “and I wanted to.”
OC-OC

126 Posts
12 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Even as the environment around them grew warmer, cozier, Seth shifted in his seat, sensing the changes in his kingdom, and yet he didn’t worry over it. These changes, he knew they would be welcome by the souls here, by his attendants, and he accepted that. He wasn’t as cold and uncaring as so many mortals might think him. Still, they were changes in a place that hadn’t known change in eons stretched out into the past, and they… Itched. “It’s nice to think that, isn’t it?” But he knew, even those who had known him in their lives, even they could think him cold and cruel.

No, Seth had not stopped his son, and he had been aware of the changes, of course. In his domain, Seth was even more powerful than he was elsewhere. Bes said that he had been needed. By who, though? Had the souls here called to his son? Were they so unhappy? He stood, carefully avoiding disturbing the board, “Come with me. We can come back to this, but I’d like to show you something.” There was a light of… Hope, perhaps, or happiness, in Seth’s eyes as he beckoned his son to join him.
OC-OC

43 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Bes held back the comment that he knew it, with the same faith that kept mortals believing in their divinity.

Who had called him? The answer was obvious.

He followed his father with out fear, curiosity was a distant prickle in his mind; yet Bes had refound his center, and so followed his father easily.
OC-OC

126 Posts
12 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Too many souls had cursed him for Seth to simply believe as Bes did. He had, however, accepted that most people would be unhappy about their fate, would wish for more time. After, once they were in their proper place in his kingdom, most (anyone who came to the Fields, for instance) settled, accepting their new situation. Others rebelled, fought, and stewed. Seth preferred them to find peace and serenity, but some souls couldn’t accept it, and he understood that.

The answer may be obvious to Bes, but not to Seth.

The river wound its way around his kingdom; there were no bridges, and while the shores were often lined with soft black or white sand, the river itself formed a boundary that none could pass save the ferryman. Still, it wasn’t the only water in his kingdom, and Seth brought his son to the garden, where he’d see the oak tree, ages and ages old, he’d see the fruit trees and grape vines, but that was not where Seth took Bes. Seth moved to the little pond that served to irrigate the garden, where there was a bench that looked rather well used and aged, but carefully maintained. Here, Seth sat, overlooking what might be the calmest, most serene part of his kingdom. The Fields were off to the side, and on the other was forest separating the paradise from the less pleasant places. He smiled as he sat, feet bare, toes against the soil, and there in the distance, Bes would be able to hear a lute being played.
OC-OC

43 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

His father showed him the heart of his realm; Bes’s power had little to improve here, yet in that way he was also at peace. Bes moved beside his father
Taking what he assumed to be the seat intended for him digging his feet into the soil next to his father, “You don’t come here enough do you?”
OC-OC

126 Posts
12 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

This place was very similar to Egypt on the Nile. It wasn’t the desert, but if you peered across the lake and avoided looking at the dense forest on the right, it looked like a desert beyond the little lake. The soil beneath them was soft and loamy… But it wasn’t egypt. It was green, the winds gentle. There were no dunes, no pyramids rose to greet the sky. Seth loved his homeland, but he did not miss it enough to recreate it here.

A smile curved his lips as his son sat next to him, and he chuckled a little at the question, “I come here when I can.” Which… No, was probably not enough.
OC-OC

43 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Bes breathed in the scent of life in the middle of the land of the dead and smiled at the perfect dichotomy. This was were his nature clashed with what he knew he should do. Bes fought the urge to simply slip into the moment, let the universe tick away. He was not as social a creation as his sister seemed to think, he simply did not mind crowds or new friends as she did.

“I like it.” It was after all a moment of home.
OC-OC

126 Posts
12 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Sitting here, in what was a sanctuary in the heart of his kingdom, Seth’s eyes closed, and for a moment the sadness, the wistfulness and worry all drained away, leaving behind a man who was at peace with his lot, a husband who loved his wife, a father who yearned to love his children. For a moment, he was entirely at peace. Just for a moment, but sometimes a moment was all you had.

“I do, too.” He had created it, after all, so long ago. Still, it was a piece of himself that he was sharing, something he was daring to trust with his child. “I’m glad you do. I would come here more often if I could.” He would stay here, listening to Orpheus play, watch the water ripple in the lake… He had made it storm here, but never violently.
OC-OC

43 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Feeling his father’s contentment Bes lost the fight to not simply relax; for as long as his father wished toFeeling his father’s contentment Bes lost the fight to not simply relax; for as long as his father wished to sit and be, so would he. Gladly. sit and be, so would he. Gladly.