Thread Contributor: SethComing Home Tag: Bes
OC-OC

121 Posts
11 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,389
Since Seth had found Hub, he spent less and less time in his temple, in his kingdom. He wasn’t ignoring his duties, he was simply very, very busy. He sent his attendants out on as many tasks as he could, of course, but between his duties, his time spent with his mate, and his trips to his many universes, he had been away far more than he had been present.

So when the god returned to his kingdom after a very long, very trying day of seeing to the souls of the departed, sorting them and visiting his worlds where he alone ruled, he was awash in a cloud of inky darkness, eyes tired but sharp.

Seth simply appeared outside his temple, his aura shedding dark the way a molting bird would shed feathers. Every so often, the god would pause to speak to one of his assistants, priests who had served well in their past lives, demigods who were loyal to him, beings that only existed in the Underworld. To a one, he paused when he met them, shared at least a few words, gave them a smile, even if it was a tired one. Each conversation was unrushed, unworried, and each brought him closer to the palace that was his home in his kingdom. A palace he had built not as Seth, but as Hades.

Greece had been far kinder to him than Egypt or even Sumeria had ever been.

But even here, in a place borne from Greek beliefs, there were hints of Seth’s true self, the god he had been born as. The protector of the sun at night, the guide and caretaker of souls who had died, the bringer of storms in the desert. It was in the decor, not the architecture, but it was there if you really looked, in the grass at the edge of the Styx, in the warm breeze that blew in from the Fields.

It was nice to be home. There was a gentle, knowing smile on the gods face as he entered his palace to sit in… Some might call it a throne. Others might say it was an insult to thrones. Seth saw it as his favorite chair, well cushioned and comfortable. Even as he crossed the room that was less a throne room and more a receiving room, with his study connected toward the back, the door cracked open. This room was warm, but the study was cozy, and he’d prefer to be in there, to lay on the couch and rest, but…

“Bes.” The single word reverberated through the palace and out into the surrounding land. His other servants and attendants might have heard the name, a gentle but firm echo, but none of them were the person being called, and so they did not pay it much mind. Even as he spoke the name, Seth settled into the chair, a similar one appearing nearby, placed so that whoever sat in it might converse with him.

@kel
OC-OC

32 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Bes was not *naughty* he wasn’t playing hooky or attempting to subert anyone or anything; he was simply obeying the directives of his mother. To Aid his Father. And knowing what he did about death and afterlife from his sister Bes naturally slipped between the veils of the living and dead, sinking like a lodestone toward where he could feel his father's home domain calling out.

The first hurdle was a simple guard, “Hello Spot.” Bes smiled softly as the three headed hound aborted his attack to pull up confused. It was a matter of moments before he had the pup literally on his back getting good scratches that he’d needed. “Lonely down here?” He was home, hearth, deliverance...and to some degree family. “Why don’t we give you some company humm?” He saw no reason why he should not help his father's domain become more pleasant for those that resided there. It was after all their literal eternal home for those not bound to a reincarnation cycle.

Bes was not a god of creation, but he was a god no matter how minor and in the service of his domain he could accomplish quite literally anything; hence why a slightly larger female three headed dog appeared barking playfully at her new friends. “How about you two get to know each other.” he ordered, content with this first task completed.

Wandering deeper he skipped over the river for now; that was something he needed a bit of a better handle on the rest of the domain before addressing. The fields were...alright, but they still had a ring of *unreal* that left even the most heroic soul discontent once they resided there long enough. Well that too was easy to at least bandage; breathing out his blessing over the land of heroic dead Bes gave them not peace, but contentment that came from *belonging* of *home* of all the scents and unconscious memories that meant *safety*.

He had just completed this and was turning his attention to the other layers when his Father's summon reverberated through the underworld.

“Welcome home father.” Bes blinked into existence across from him, a small gentle smile that showed no fear or thought that he had overstepped or done anything wrong.
OC-OC

121 Posts
11 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Cerberus hadn’t been there to greet him. That was extremely unusual. Where was his dog?? Seth wasn’t one to stop and look for a missing canine, though; he had others for that. Instead, he moved on, toward his palace, stopping to speak with those on his way, converse, ask about his dog…

It was one of the several that he encountered that informed him that he had a visitor. Such a visitor would have passed by where Cerberus guarded the entrance to his grounds. If….

By the time he’d reached his palace, Seth had reached out, feeling his home, and finding the person who had come so suddenly and without invitation. His son. Lovely.

It wasn’t as though Seth minded his son visiting him, he just… These children weren’t… Easy. They were difficult, they were unfamiliar. He didn’t, as Raani had thrust in his face, know them. So he called to his son, beckoning him as gently as he could, to his receiving room.

Once Bes arrived, Seth returned the younger god’s smile immediately, and while it might not have been conscious, there was warmth in it, the irritation he might have felt before ebbing to be greeted so… Kindly. “Come, sit with me awhile, wouldn’t you?” Seth gestured to the chair he’d created near him, leaning forward to engage his son in conversation, “How do you like my domain?”
OC-OC

32 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All gods carried themselves with grace, some held contained power, rage, violence, or even simple potential. All Bes carried was...ease, he walked as though he’d lived in this palace his entire existence, sitting across from his father as though they had sat and chatted a thousand times before, a harkening of memories that could not exist seemed to hover in the air. Of dinners, hounds and jackals games, of a young god learning and admiring his father as he grew into adulthood. Somehow all of that followed him, surrounded them with none of the bittersweet edge they should have held for missed opportunities.

Something like impish humor crinkled around his eyes as he quipped: “I think you need some new curtains.”
OC-OC

121 Posts
11 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

It was as though (it was) Seth couldn’t help himself. He smiled, he relaxed, just a little, just enough, This was his home, his domain. His rule here was absolute; here, he had nothing to fear. (There was one thing, but it wasn’t here.)

Sitting with… with his son, Seth was more at ease than he had been when he had spoken with his daughter. Perhaps it was the setting, perhaps it was the fact that he hadn’t just caught his son sneaking back from amassing power in secret, but Seth wasn’t nearly so tense. He wasn’t as worried.

Bes’ answer earned a hearty laugh, one that caused Seth’s entire face to shift with it. “Well, that could certainly be arranged. It’s been ages since I’ve redecorated.”
OC-OC

32 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Ages.” the capital A was audible, “I suspect.” he responded quickly enough, “I’ve been doing a touch of redecorating on my own.” His smile deepened “Hopefully I should at least finish blowing the cobwebs off soon.”
OC-OC

121 Posts
11 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

“Yes, Ages. Truly.” When it came to housekeeping, well, Seth could have a sense of humor. He stood, waving Bes over as he moved to a grand window that overlooked a garden, an actual garden, that veritably teamed with life. “This, that right there, that tree?” He chuckled, “That tree was the most recent addition to my little home here, and that was made…” Seth blinked, “You know, I don’t even remember how long it’s actually been… Per… She planted it. A millennia or more before she…” Seth’s smile didn’t leave his face, but it grew just a touch sad, “Before she died.” He waved out, not to the Fields, but toward where a mountain rose in the distance, an echo of what had once been, “She’s gone, now, but she planted it so long ago… You’d think it would be bigger, wouldn’t you?”

He turned to look at his son, “Oh? Planning on making more changes, are you?” There was no admonishment in the god’s voice, only amusement. “Just not to my study. That’s… That’s mine.”
OC-OC

32 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Bes easily caught the fact that his Father could not speak a the woman’s name, grief it seemed was still sharp edged where that one was concerned.

It surprised even himself to feel a touch of ...well not jealousy, but...something like it on his mother's behalf. Bes was a very even tempered god who found it hard to really get himself worked up about anything, not that he did not *care* he simply took a more pragmatic and practical view of most problems.

“It’s who I am.” Bes’s momentary consideration did not mar his features. “And this is the home of untold billions of souls. They should feel that.”
OC-OC

121 Posts
11 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

It was not that Persephone was dead. Dead was within his realm. But his once-wife was gone. She had withered away to nothing, to a ghost. Now, she wasn’t even that. Dead wasn’t all of it, she was just gone. So much like Kayin.

Who he was. At least his son was able to choose his own domains, it would seem. That was good. Seth was glad for that. Raani hadn’t had the same chance though. Why? It was a question for Adhira, not for Bes, though. Seth considered Bes’ words, taking some time to do so. “Perhaps they should. Tell me, what have you done since you’ve arrived? And have you seen my dog? Three heads, usually growls at strangers, good dog. Cerberus.”
OC-OC

32 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Actually Bes had as little choice in his domains as his sister; he’d been created into them very much as she had been, the difference between the twins was that Bes never had any schism between who he was meant to be and who he was.

“Spot?” Bes’s smile somehow seemed to deepen further. “I made him a friend, he was so very lonely.”
OC-OC

121 Posts
11 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Spot. Spot?! No. No no no. Bes could come and make a few smaller changes, Seth didn’t mind. But no one was going to rename his dog, damn it. “Cerberus. His name is Cerberus.” Seth had been created to be… More or less who he was. Oh, he had grown far beyond what he’d been made as, but he was what he was. His children, however… He had hoped for more for them. When Kayin had been born, Seth had hoped for a slew of things, had tried to do as best as he could. But he had been alone. He had done what he could do, back then. Now… Now he wasn’t sure what he could do. In the interim, he had tried being cold and aloof, he had tried being warm and fatherly. In the end, he had had to kill too many children. He was tired of losing people he loved, tired of ending lives.

“What do you mean that you made him a friend?”
OC-OC

32 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Bes just smiled at the correction; “He’s been alone down there since he was created, that’s not very nice for him. So I made him a companion.” Bes created a small window to where the two gigantic hounds were playing, “Not a mate.” he commented almost..repressively, “If she chooses to be she can but...he needed a friend.”
OC-OC

121 Posts
11 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

He loved his dog. Not the way he loved his mate, or his children (yes, even the ones he had killed, even if he wouldn’t admit it to himself, let alone anyone else), but love nonetheless. “He hasn’t been alone. I spend time with him whenever I can.” Which… Wasn’t as often as either of them would like, but it wasn’t as though Seth had hours and hours to play with his pet. Guard dog. Cerberus was a friend. Watching that dog playing with another, however, Seth smiled, “Well, for that I thank you. I had never meant for him to be lonely.”
OC-OC

32 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

There had been no blame in Bes’s tone, simple statement of fact; he’d done what he’d seen needed being tended to. “I’m not sure he knew he was either.” Bes commented quietly, “If we’ve never known something was missing how can we truly miss it?”
OC-OC

121 Posts
11 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Seth watched his dog play with another, listened to his son speak. He wasn’t always rash, he wasn’t always one to jump to action. When the war had started, when things had gone so badly so quickly, he had moved, he had gone to ground. When the war had escalated, he had hidden away with Adhira, stayed on the island, given up much of his power. Then, it had been a means to buy more time with his beloved wife, to spend more time together. Now, he considered what his son was saying because the boy had bettered the life of a creature that Seth cared for. “I’m glad he isn’t lonely anymore.” Bes might not have been meaning to blame Seth, but that didn’t mean the older god didn’t blame himself. He had been lonely for so long, why hadn’t he seen the same in Cerberus? “You’ve done well here, son.”
OC-OC

32 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Bes’ lip quirked up in the first indication that he understood that what he was doing could be considered perilous; “Hopefully you will see the rest of my changes in the same light.” Bes banished the image, bringing forth in its place a jackals and hounds board. “Would you like to play?” Bes offered, there was something very lonely about his father, and Bes really couldn’t do anything but attempt to relieve that, just as he had created a companion for his pet. “And you can tell me about your garden, and the interesting demigods that live here.”
OC-OC

121 Posts
11 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Well yes, of course what he was doing was dangerous; he was in the realm of another god, a more powerful god, and making unsolicited changes. Still, Seth was unbothered by the small changes his son made; Cerberus deserved a companion. The souls who resided in the Fields deserved a sense of peace and comfort. Things that Seth himself had not given them. He gave a small nod to Bes’ hope, sharing it. The suggestion of Jackals and Hounds earned a slow blink from the older god. “It’s been… Eons… Since I’ve played.” But the small smile indicated clearly just how fond his memories of the game were. He’d played with his family, before things had gone badly. He’d played with Kayin…. He looked to the board game, “I would very much like to play, son.” He smiled, just a small thing, relaxing a little bit more, “Well, it was made so long ago I almost don’t remember anymore…. The demigods here…” Seth shrugged, “Most of them are dead.”
OC-OC

32 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Past due.” Bes remarked letting his father pick his side; traditionally the better player took the ‘weaker’ Jackals.

Dead? Bes’s eyebrow rose; “There is still the ferryman, I felt others watching, caretakers I assumed.”
OC-OC

121 Posts
11 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Seth shifted the board so that yes, the Jackals were on his side. Even if Bes had more experience at the game, Seth would have taken Jackals. It was his favored side, besides, he had little interest in winning. It was about the game.

Seth’s gaze turned out, toward the river, a smile tugging at his lips. “Well, Charon has been here longer than any other. It wouldn’t be the Underworld without him.” Seth waved a hand toward one of the banks, “The girl will be out there, pestering him, and somewhere out there, past the Fields will be the old woman. Used to be you could find one of several of my nephews…”. He shook his head, “they’re gone now.”
OC-OC

32 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Bes contemplated his opening move, the goal was to capture all of his father’s pieces before they escaped past him; simple he doubted it would be.

“I look forward to meeting them in more than passing.” Bes moved his first piece, normally he would honestly not be paying so much attention but this was his first meeting with his father and he wanted a good impression. “You remember them. So some part lives.” He did not directly commune with the dead, but spirits and their memory held a place in his domain, after all a home was filled with bitter sweet memories of those gone forward.