Thread Contributor: PythiaAll the Time in the World
Doctor who-DWU

10 Posts
3 Threads
Job: Timelord
Ship Status: Single?
Sexual Orientation: Pan
Nyte

The city seemed to be one of the quieter places, and while Pythia did not spend all of her time in the Hub, she did return routinely to repair her ship, organize her library and specimen, and put her thoughts and findings down, be it on paper or in a pad she had picked up...somewhere. Maybe it had been here? It was possible, she hadn’t kept track of those kinds of things in a very long time now.

Hub had two premiere choices for places to find a good meal, something enjoyable to drink, and music. One was the club-like atmosphere of the Green Goddess, which Pythia did frequent from time to time, and the quaint tavern in a tree run by an elf she had yet to actually meet, The Wandering Moon. Tonight, she chose the Moon. It was quieter and would offer her a chance to eat and drink and write at her leisure. She could, of course, do much the same on her Tardis, but Pythia enjoyed going out on the pretense of being sociable, so to the tavern in a tree it was.

She walked in, her required materials in her bag, she moved to a table, ordered her meal and drink, and spread out her notes and things, picked up her sonic pen, and began to make the last few months worth of notes, observations, and sketches into a semblance of sense. Every now and again she would look up to take in her surroundings, eyes sharp most of the time, and going far away and unfocused for a few moments here and there before she’d return to her latest project with the tiniest of knowing smiles.

Once, she looked up, her eyes taking on that far away look for a few moments, and then she pulled a small stack of notes specifically out of an area, arranging them neatly elsewhere on the table. A few minutes later, a patron, drunk to his gills, moved by and spilled his ale in just the same spot, earning another of the tiny, knowing smiles from the Time Lord. Then, silently, she raised her sonic pen and wrote, distinctly in the air, for a server to please come with a towel.

@alex
Mass Effect-Completed Trilogy (Original)

10 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 648
Asa had been on another of her infamous explorations when she had come across the wandering moon- and by exploration she meant that she was dictating commentary to her drone as she wandered around the hub. By 'come across' she meant that she had been there several times and knew they served reasonably tasty food that she didn't even have to ask whether it was levo or dextro- which was one of the few nice things she had found about the hub so far.

Despite how much she desperately missed her friends- that she would happily give up the ease of sustenance for the heterogeneous nature of her home. It meant that she was actively searching out those who were different from the norm. And more so than the elves- who just had pointier ears and longer life spans- or the orions, who as far she could tell were incredibly rigid in their sexuality and gender- but were green and smelled good. Honestly, it resembled some of the old human stories she had learned of when studying them- a whole pile of species that barely differentiated from the earth born.

So finding someone who's technology was at least different? That perked Asa right up. She grabbed a towel from the bartender and walked over to wipe up the spill. Quickly depositing the now moisture heavy fabric on a passing waiter's tray, Asa smiled at the other woman. "Hi- I'm Dr. T'Esria- but you can call me Asa. Would you mind telling me about your-" There was just a breath of hesitation as Asa's eyes noted the colour fluctuations in the silver haired woman's eyes. "-species?" She continued. "I haven't met anyone else like you yet."

She flagged down another server to ask them to deliver her food to this table as she sat down. "Is it alright if I sit with you?" She asked, despite having already done so, folding her hands under her chin and propping her elbows on the table. Asa paused again before smiling. "Is all your species as lovely as you are?"

@eve
Doctor who-DWU

10 Posts
3 Threads
Nyte

Sonic was the gourmet of technology. It had a wide range of uses; they made phasers and blasters with it, but Pythia preferred to travel without any items that served only the purpose of weaponry. Her colleagues often argued over the usefulness of something along the lines of her pen; some argued it was a waste, that such things should be used as tools, to which she always argued that the pen was a tool, and it was, as so aptly quoted by the humans of Earth, often mightier than the sword. That usually shut them up.

Really, Time Lords were an uppity, snobbish, opinionated bunch of politicians. For the most part, anyway. There were those who were more akin to her; The Rani, Corsair… The Doctor. She had watched his exploits from time to time, same as she did all of the runners and renegades, amusing herself by their lives until she had finally demanded to be given a ship of her own to explore. Eight pilots, they said. The Doctor, Corsair, they did it with just one, and they made it just fine. Besides, she wanted a smaller capsule, something meant for a single Time Lord or two.

Here in Hub, at least, there were no others to crowd her or argue with.

Pythia sat at her table, and requested a server to wipe up the spilled ale, and immediately went back to her work. No doubt that she would need to rewrite plenty of this in order for it to make any real sense; writing it as she went, a few months of notes at a time, meant there would be holes and skips, but at least it would make a modicum of sense when she was finished. The sudden sound of someone speaking, to her nonetheless, earned a glance up and over to the blue-skinned individual, tilting her head slightly at the question. Up came her pen, and with a quick flourish, the word ‘Gallifreyan’ appeared between and just to the side of them, allowing Dr. T’Esria to read without turning her head very much. ‘There aren’t many others like me.’ Even amongst her own people there weren’t. Even only among the Time Lords. Most, when they looked into the schism, they ran, they created, they destroyed. Pythia saw. The tiny smile she reserved for moments when she saw into the future, or looked back into the past, graced her lips, turning them ever so slightly up, ’You’re welcome to sit, Asa. What brings you to my table, other than to wipe up a spill for our overworked hostess?’, the words appeared with little flicks of the pen; Pythia never spoke. She understood it was curiosity, but she wondered if there was more.

10 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Moon

Asa had the orange glow of her omnitool encasing her wrist before the first words appeared in the air. She had been expecting that sort of reply, seeing as this woman was writing in the air rather than calling for a server, which is what Asa would have done if her work was in danger of being spilled upon.

Of course, all of Asa's work was stored as data. An interesting fact that this woman was using such an advanced device, yet writing on solid materials. Perhaps a logical fallacy, perhaps indicticative that the device was beyond her understanding. Though Asa chose not to say as much, and simply made note of it- in asari shorthand, something that was near incomprehensible even if you did understand her language.

Though she also noted that this woman held no surprise at Asa's appearance. She was learning that most of the hub would take it in stride as she was hardly the only oddity, but most humanoids she had met at least regarded her scalp crest with curiosity. Asa smiled at the gallifreyan. "Curiousity, it seemed like your pen may use something not dissimilar to my reality's mass effect fields and I wished to know more." Asa gave a nod in the direction of the bowl the server was carrying towards them before it was encased in a blue ish glow and carefully set itself on the table in front of her.

Having demonstrated her biotics in explanation, Asa lifted her arm up to gesture with her electronic device. "You seem unsurprised by my appearance, have you met an asari in the past- or is your race a space faring people? Do you mind if I take a scan of your anatomy for my notes? May I ask what your name is?" The doctor asked quickly, jumping from one topic to the next.

@eve
Doctor who-DWU

10 Posts
3 Threads
Nyte

There was something about putting pen to paper that Pythia enjoyed. Perhaps it was the almost technological way the words simply flowed onto the page, or because the ink smelled fresh and good when she wrote, but the Time Lord very much liked the old way of communication. It was a bit less efficient, but it felt good, and that was important in its own right.

Of course, her pen could recall nearly anything she had written in the past as well, so the paper wasn’t really necessary at all; it just gave her a familiar interface that she preferred over most others. Books were important. The smell and feel of paper, the stories, the character that remained in handwriting… Not everyone agreed with her, of course, but Pythia could honestly care less about what others thought.

’It’s Sonic. I chose a pen because I enjoy the process of writing, and have no need for a formal weapon. Besides, this form allows me to better communicate with others.’ Pythia watched as Asa controlled the bowl, setting it down on the table. That was interesting. The Time Lord’s shifting eyes settled on the blue skinned alien with more interest and curisoity than they had before. Fascinating. You call these mass effect fields? Not magnetic field manipulation? She didn’t put the pen down, of course, using it as she was to communicate with Asa, but her attention left her work entirely as Pythia focused on her new companion.

’I have met with the Alpha Centauri. I have danced with the Adipose. I have fought side by side with the Sontarans. Appearance has little to do with who a person is. Was her race a space faring people? That tiny smile once again graced Pythia’s lips, You could say that about us. More than space. If it would please you to scan me, be my guest. She didn’t really care; Asa hadn’t seemed to recognize Gallifrey, and didn’t resemble a Dalek by any means. I am called Pythia, and I am a Time Lord of Gallifrey. That should tell her guest just what, other than space, her people travelled.

@alex

10 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Moon

Asa tapped her fingers on the table thoughtfully even as her forehead ridge wrinkled. "Sonic? How does sound factor into it?" She murmured out loud, eyes temporarily fixated on the pen in the other woman's hand. The words it put in the air were visible across the ultraviolet spectrum as well- shifting in a way that defied definition. Asa wouldn't scan the tech without invitation- biology was one thing, but many people felt more strongly about the creations of their minds. Especially since technology could be far more easily replicated.

She nodded at the woman's question. "Mass effect fields. Yes. They're created through the use of element zero or eezo. When subjected to an electrical current, eezo releases dark matter than can increase or decrease the mass content of space-time. If a species is exposed to enough of the stuff- they start developing the ability to manipulate it mentally- and the have enough in their system that they carry it with them wherever they go. We call them 'Biotics.' " Asa tapped her ear where a small scar lay nestled amongst her fringe. "Though for most- anything more than the most basic control, you have to have an implant. If nothing else- to offer the electrical kick needed for more powerful effects."

She reached for her spoon without thinking, a small popping noise accompanying the action. Asa cursed quietly in asari and dropped the utensil to shake out her fingers. "Downside- builds up static electricity." She added with a wide smile, carefully reaching again for the tool and sighing with relief that she had let off enough of her static the first time.

The words Pythia offered meant nothing to Asa- past a vague interest in learning about these other species. Her permission for scanning however- Asa couldn't help the grin she got, tapping a few buttons on her omni tool to have her little ball of a drone hover outside the booth, scanning Pythia eagerly.

The responding info she got- Goddess, Asa could start an entire new discipline of science based on the study of this species. Seemingly random things could change a substance in their body from harmful to not- in a way that was chemically unlikely. It was mind boggling of the highest sort. They had the same physique as asari, the environmental resistance of the vorcha, the memory of the drell, the biodiversity of the humans, the redundant organs of a krogan- As far as Asa could tell from the scan, these Gallifrey natives were near ideal organisms.

The part of Asa that was nearing matronhood was offering that an Asari born to such a father could be the next large step in her species' evolution. Focusing instead on her conversation, Asa shook her head in incredulity. She had the sinking suspicion that she was conversing with a much higher lifeform than herself.

"Pleasure to meet you Pythia. I have to say, your biology on it's own is fascinating- but you possess a means of time travel as well?" Asa asked, blinking rapidly, barely able to contain her rising excitement. If only her sisters could see this- learn about this incredible species- because really?! Time Travel?! The only other species Asa had come across that was half as interesting was the inhumans- and they evolved at random and as individuals.

@eve
Doctor who-DWU

10 Posts
3 Threads
Nyte

Pythia dipped her head in a nod, a gesture that she was neither terribly familiar or comfortable making, but seeing as Asa chose to communicate verbally, the Time Lord was attempting to do as close to the same as was possible. As far as her technology went… Time Lords were less concerned about people scanning it to figure out how it worked, because… Well, Time Lords were fairly confident that their technology would not, could not (at least not easily) be replicated. Not without access to the Untempered Schism, and that was terribly unlikely to happen for anyone. Gallifrey was a well protected plant to start with, and the Schism was within the dome of the Citadel, and thus even more well protected than even Arcadia had been prior to its fall.

Element zero? Pythia asked the question with an arch of her brow and a small cant to her lips, her focus entirely on the being speaking with her, considering what Doctor T’Esria was saying while also trying to think of what this element zero or ‘eezo’ could be. It was possible that the element didn’t even exist in her home universe, that it was unique to the doctor’s dimension, which only made it all the more interesting. Her pen flicked through the air, the words appearing almost as glowing rends in the air between them, What does the implant do that gives you more control?

The tiny shock that Asanyahi received was noticed, registered, and before she reached for the spoon again, Pythia aimed her pen at it, the device emitting a similar harmonic sound, though one slightly different than the one it used when she wrote in the air with it. What the pen was doing was simple enough; it was suppressing the electrical conductivity within the metal, rendering it unable to give the doctor another shock. It also rendered the spoon momentarily nonferrous as well, but that was unlikely to be a problem.

Pythia had no issues with being scanned, looking almost bored while the drone did its work. Being scanned was never very much fun, but the responses Gallifreyans, especially the Time Lords, got when other species scanned them medically was always amusing. Asa proved to be no less entertaining than many others, Pythia’s tiny smile returning at the doctor’s excitement over her unique physiology. Near ideal was a very polite, fairly accurate way of stating it. Oh, there were differing opinions. Davros thought his Daleks were closer to perfection, and there were Time Lords who were convinced that Gallifrey had produced the epitome of evolution and life. Pythia herself held to the belief that true perfection was an unreachable goal, albeit a worthy one. There was always, always room for improvement.

Flick, flick went the sonic pen, and Pythia’s answer clearly read in the air, Indeed we do. We don’t call ourselves Time Lords for nothing. She leaned forward, amusement glinting in her shifting eyes even if it was incongruent with her lack of real expression, the words this time simply finding their way into Asa’s mind, ”Would you like to see my ship?”

@alex

10 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Moon

Asa was capable of recognizing the nod as foreign to the other woman- which made her chuckle slightly. "That's a very human motion." She remarked conversationally- though Asa knew the motions well enough, perhaps Pythia would feel less obligated to respond in physical movements. Asa was fine waiting for the woman to write.

For her part Asa smiled and tapped at her omnitool. The blue element appeared in holographic form above her wrist. "Eezo." She offered, gesturing for it to rotate for ease of observance. Moments later, she exchanged it for the hologram of a basic implant. "Do you have instruments? Think of it like a speaker amplifier. It aids not only in strengthening the abilities, but also in giving minute control. Like I said, it's through Eezo being electrified that creates mass effect fields, and there is only so much electricity that the mind can generate before it starts damaging itself irreparably." In example, Asa lifted her finger, directly above her bowl, generating a tiny black dot.

The tiny singularity started lifting the soup from her bowl, the spoon lifting as well. When Pythia’s papers started shifting as well, Asa closed her hand around the black hole. "I'd build a larger one but the bigger it is, the more damage it does." She did pause before standing up and seemingly teleporting to the bar to ask for a drink before warping back.

"If you have enough control, you can blink when moving instead of just affecting your movement speed. You can sometimes maybe go through solid matter- which is to say, I'm pretty sure that's what I'm doing but it should be scientifically impossible. The other option is charge, in which you make yourself faster or stronger by altering your personal gravity." Sitting back down to wait for her drink, Asa smiled again. "And a whole number more combat applications. There are as many uses as there are ideas."

Asa reached for the spoon with a smile, having seen Pythia target it. As she suspected, the utensil was no longer conductive, though as she had reactivated the grounding effect of her gear, it was no longer important. No need to mention that however, so Asa just ducked her head in appreciation. "Thank you." She offered simply, finishing up her meal quickly.

One of the parts of being a commando- she did everything with maximum efficiency, because if you ate too slow, there was always a chance you weren't going back to finish.

Asa was still processing the fact that this woman could actually travel through time when she leaned forward. There was no easily read smile on Pythia’s face- true. But when compared to some of the species of her universe- even being able to see her eyes was a lot more than some. It was elementary to read the amusement from the strangely coloured orbs.

The voice in her head had Asa widening her own eyes in surprise before grinning largely. "Is that even a real question? I can't think of anything I'd rather do."

@eve
Doctor who-DWU

10 Posts
3 Threads
Nyte

Nods were certainly not a Gallifreyan form of agreement. Really, it was a bit primitive, and truth be told, humans didn’t even use it the proper way half the time. The sonic pen flicked and the words that Pythia wished to communicate with Asa appeared in her own flowing handwriting, It is used by humans, yes, but it is not only they who use it, at least not in my home universe. Humans have a very haphazard way of using it, meaning far more than a simple ‘yes’ or agreement. They overuse far too many of their words, which drains the meaning it might have once had. The same is often true of their use of body language.

When Asa showed Pythia the element, the Time Lord paid attention, watching the hologram of the eezo, putting it to memory. It was interesting; an item that could be used to directly affect matter. Did it only exist in Asa’s universe, or could Pythia perhaps find some within her own if she truly looked for it? That would remain to be seen for now, but that didn’t mean that she didn’t want to learn as much as she could about it. The creation of a black hole. Oh, Gallifreyans had possessed the knowledge and technology to create such phenomenon for ages, but to see it possessed by a hitherto unheard of specie? That was something far, far less common. Well yes. They are destructive by their nature. As for brains and electricity, it does depend on the species; some are more resilient and resistant to such damage.

And then it came down to personal enhancement and weaponry and Pythia’s eyes drifted back to her notes, the pen twitching over the paper, the hum of the device quieting as she wrote, working on her project.

She had discharged the spoon’s charge of electrical energy, an easy and simple accomplishment with the pen. Of course. It had been nothing to do, a second’s pause to direct her tool and use it. It had been nothing to do, but the appreciation was nice nonetheless.

While Asa ate quickly, Pythia took her time, finishing her meal as she worked and conversed with her new companion, obviously in no rush at all to finish, or really even to return to her work. It was a work of a lifetime, of several lifetimes, and she had all the time she needed to finish it; there was no point in rushing, in making a mistake, just as there was no reason to rush her meal.

New people were not, perhaps Pythia’s cup of tea. She did not usually extend such invitations to those she just met, unlike some Time Lords were wont to do, and yet… Even she grew lonely sometimes. Even she could decide she liked a person after a few moments. Asa seemed the sort who might appreciate seeing the inside of a Tardis, and perhaps might even be helpful to Pythia’s work. Leaning back, Pythia returned to the use of her pen to communicate, understanding that many species, and individuals amongst the entire range of intelligent life for that matter, preferred verbal or written communication rather than telepathic, seeing as many felt it to be an intrusion, Once we are both finished with our meals, perhaps we can take a walk and I will show you my ship then. She left room for Asa to back out of the arrangement, of course. It was one thing to imagine entering an alien’s time travelling space ship, and quite another thing to actually step foot into such a vessel when you only just met the person.

@alex