Marvel-MCU-1

51 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 646
Bucky had gone to the area to seek out a doctor- to seek the clinic of someone with advanced technology that could help. He couldn't help but notice the alchemist's shop next door which had suggested any number of ideas for him. He had already sought out Death for aid- tried to find Love- alchemy seemed pretty average compared to offering his life.

He entered the building, trying to hold his skepticism to himself- just because people who claimed to have healing potions in his world were almost always hucksters didn't meant that all alchemists were. In fact, he had to guess that in a reality where potions were a very real possibility, no fake alchemist would be able to keep a business going for terribly long.

Bucky was expecting to see someone behind the counter- though the sheer colour of pink that her hair was did startle him slightly. Clearing his throat, he did his best to be respectful despite being incredibly confused.

"Hi- Do you have healing potions?"

@eve
Dungeons & Dragons-Forgotten Realms

34 Posts
4 Threads
Job: Artificer/Alchemist
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Yes!
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,268
The shop Bucky entered went back a ways, and there was music playing. The music was the kind you might hear in a club, with a thumping beat. The lights weren’t bright, but the shop wasn’t dim, either.

Behind the counter was a short gnomish woman of less than four feet, bouncing in time to music, mouthing along with the lyrics as she jammed to it, mixing a cauldron full of...some sort of viscous liquid that… Sparkled. Deep within the mixture, he’d be able to see flashes of what strongly resembled lightning. With a loud “AHA!” she finished, setting the cauldron aside and turning her gaze on her newest patron. The entire thing took a few seconds at most, and she moved to climb up and stand on the stool to better address the human.

He made his request and Fizzle’s expression fell away into disappointment. “Yeah… ‘Course I got healing potions… Every alchemist knows how ta make those. Even the bad ones.” She rolled her eyes and hopped off the stool to head toward one of her many shelves, rummaging around till she came out with a whole tray, “So, boyo, what sort of healing do you need done?” The vials she had lined on the tray, which she brought to the counter and set on the counter with a bit less care than he might have expected, “I got cures for blindness, deafness, cures for minor curses, potions to sleep, potions to stay awake, cures for Mummy Rot… Ya gotta be specific, okay?” Every vial was different; ranging in color from perfectly clear, pearly translucent, all the way toward something that resembled a thick ichor and sickly green. There were also a whole small set of deep red vials labeled with numbers. She did her best to smile up at the human compassionately, “What’s ailing ya?”

@alex
Marvel-MCU-1

51 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Moon

It was certainly a strange shop to walk into. Music and colour and light- not exactly what he was expecting from a place that practices something that was dismissed a century ago in his own world. It was an interesting juxtaposition of the old and the new- if Bucky were less stressed, he'd certainly be interested in looking around. The place reminded him a little of himself- something born a long time ago, and yet somehow in the here and now.

Not quite meshing in any normal way.

If Shuri hadn't been shot, it may have made him smile. Instead he waited anxiously as the small woman backed away from the potion she was working on to hop onto a short stool. "Ah- The Princess of Wakanda has been shot. The wound is externally cauterized, but it burned right through her sternum." Not knowing whether the terminology was the same across species, he tapped on the bone bridge in the center of his chest.

Then he started playing his fingers along the lines of his gun self consciously. "She's ah- human too. If that's important."

@eve

34 Posts
4 Threads
Nyte

The music was the kind of music that Fizzle found herself bopping along to, the kind with a quick, light beat, fast and bright, not so much unlike the gnome herself. The alchemist had embraced all the modernity, technology, and novel things that Hub had so readily offered, adapting quickly and assimilating everything that she could.

The shop, as well as the gnome, might not be what a person might consider ‘normal’, but she was bright, cheerful, and happy. And skilled at her chosen profession. Sure, maybe her mom nagged her about what a talented illusionist she might have been had she put her mind to it, but Fizzle was happy as an artificer. She loved her work, and she was brilliant at it, if she did say so herself, and she did, often.

The Princess of Wakanda has been shot.

Uh huh.

“M’I supposed to know who, exactly, that is? Or ya expect me to be impressed?” She cocked her head at the man, arching a brow, “I am the Second Artificer of the great temple of Rill Cleverthrush.” She gave him an unimpressed look, “That mean a whole lot to you, or just sounds like I’m blowing smoke up ya rather toned tushy?” The gnome actually leaned over as though to get a better look at said tushy before she gave a light laugh, “Is this princess of yours dead, dying, or just ailing? Was a black powder weapon or one of those newfangled things of hard light some human who thinks himself clever crafted?” She drummed her fingers on the shelf of potions, looking up at Bucky before turning back and snatching a startlingly blue potion from the group and climbing back down, snagging another, far smaller, vial as she moved from another shelf without so much as glancing at it. She knew her store and inventory, and she’d know it blind.

Wouldn’t be the first time.

Humans. Giving the man a large grin, she settled back into her stool, “Well that’s good. Human’s’re easy to fix.” She blinked, remembering something, “Most of the time.” Frowning, she held up the two potions, “Get her near, get a glass of water. Pour this one,” she lifted the small vial, “Into the flask,” she lifted the larger, cerulean blue potion, “And give it one good shake. Just one!” she made a sharp up and down motion with the flask, “And have her drink it up real quick.” She shrugged, “If she’s nice and ya like her enough, give her the water. This thing tastes nasty. Otherwise, well, have a glass of water and watch her sputter.” Fizzle set both vials on the counter and looked at Bucky, “So… That what you were looking for?”

@alex
Marvel-MCU-1

51 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Moon

The shop had seemlessly integrated into the present in a way that Bucky had never been able to. Save for his arm- and he didn't have much choice about that one. He'd still take some good swing over the music people played nowadays. Sure- everything was terribly convenient nowadays, but he missed some parts of his time something awful.

Of course, his motivation for this trip was the same reason he'd never cut and run back even if he had the option. Shuri was a once in universe kind of gal- nobody would be able to measure up to her. The only way he'd choose the past over her- was if he could save her and Steve by doing so.

Bucky flushed at her reply. "No ma'am. Just- giving what information I have." He offered quietly, rubbing the back of his neck to try and calm his nerves. It was hard for him to force down the slight twitches- with how much the ticking of time was firmly present in his mind. He couldn't be late. It wasn't an option.

"Hard light." He replied easily, answers prepped in his mind. He didn't defend her- he wasn't able to change that- but he could find her the best help the hub of realities had to offer.

It was when she set the potions down on the counter that Bucky sucked in a painful breath. "I-" Bucky's eyebrows furrowed as he tried to explain his predicament, turning out the contents of his pockets to showcase the measly few dollars he had on his person. "I don't know that I can pay. Is there anyway that I can exchange for it? I can offer menial labour, my gun if you want it- I don't know. You can have my soul if this works."

It was a fatalistic attitude to have- but Bucky had never been well off. His best clothes had been his dress uniform. There were days were he had gone without a proper meal in exchange for making sure his family ate. Steve never knew that Bucky had done that for him as well. What it all came together to mean- was that Bucky was used to the idea that he wasn't worth wasting resources on. He certainly wasn't worth Shuri's life. In fact, though he failed to mention it, his being was far too little to offer in exchange for Shuri's. For anyone.

He idly drummed his fingers on the edge of the counter while he waited for a reply.

@eve

34 Posts
4 Threads
Nyte

Gnomes were intelligent, adaptive, and energetic creatures. Fizzle had channelled all of those traits into her work, her shop, and now her new shop. She created items that the people she was serving would need. In Waterdeep, that meant healing potions, true-seeing potions, detect and identify magic, and all sorts of buffing type things. It meant lanterns that shone brighter, it meant tanglefoot bags that could withstand the strength of ogres and giants. Here in Hub, it meant healing potions, true-seeing potions, detect and identifying magic and buffing items, too. But it meant cures for curses and ailments, it meant disco balls that shone with their own light… There were some items that Fizzle made that she kept to herself, of course, but the vast majority of what she could and did make were sold right here in her shop. It also meant that she had gone out and learned about….everything that she could.

She had learned about phasers and flame throwers. She had learned about cars and spacecraft, about computers and cell phones, about aliens and their abilities and physiology. Of course her shop reflected all of these new things; she had to keep up with the rest of Hub, she had to stay relevant, or she’d go out of business! Besides, she had found she loved so much of what the other universes and races of Hub had to offer. Roller skates and lighters and sunglasses and automatic grappling hooks….

No money? Aw…. Fizzle heaved a sigh and looked down at the potion she’d made. It wasn’t an easy potion, the sort of cure-all Fizzle had devised was, when it came down to it, a lengthy, complex, difficult potion to craft, but Fizzle had perfected it while adventuring with the Lanterns. The sigh wasn’t for the cost, but for the knowledge that Alludiel (who might be the best friend Fizzle actually ever had) would have crowed that Fizzle just give the poor human sap the damn thing.

For free.

Yeah, that wasn’t gonna happen, even if Alludiel had been standing right here, and he wasn’t.

But Lovesick Human with Cool Metal Arm #1 seemed like the honest type. Fizzle nodded, pushed the potion toward him and gave him a Look. “You go save your Princess of Wakanda, and then come on back here. We’ll work out the details. But you give me a piece of your hair, because if you skip out on me and don’t come back, I’ll be hunting that toned tushy down, believe me or don’t, it’s not me that’ll be my new test dummy!” It was, of course, a threat, and one that Fizzle fully meant; she’d hunt Bucky down and feed him potions she made up on the fly just to see what they did… And she’d keep him alive just to try more! She might be a goodly gnome, but that didn’t mean she’d be easily crossed! Then she smiled, “But you don’t seem the type to be all dishonorable and try to cheat me out of a fair price, so I’ll be trusting you. As long as you leave a hair here with me, and come back soon as your princess is all fixed up, we’ll make a square and fair deal for both of us.”