Thread Contributor: SethHell's Belle
OC-OC

82 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,271
This city, a mixture of technology and the magical, the mystical and the mundane, was awash in a richness of people and belief. In short, Seth liked it here; he liked Hub enough that he hadn’t so much as considered attempting increasing his own presence in the city. There was, he had found, a certain amount of comfort to be found in a place where you weren’t the end-all, be-all. True, the mortals didn’t trip over themselves to praise him or earn his favor, but he had never been a god who had truly needed or wanted such things. Lucky them.

The Sha tended to frighten people; they were large predatory creatures that most humans (from most worlds at least) had never seen before. The screech owl was less upsetting (save perhaps to those who had some sort of unfounded fear of owls), and thus the form Seth currently chose. Winging his way through Hub, he stayed low, only a few feet over the tallest mortals’ heads as he looked over his new ‘home’ that he and his mate had chosen for themselves.

People milled about, another day in their lives, much the same as any other, oblivious to the death god that flew about above them and that suited Seth just fine.

Suddenly, there was...a tug. Not a physical sensation as much as it was something that rubbed against his power, something that fell into his domain. It pulled and more than that, it piqued the god’s interest. The owl swooped down, following the thread of power that brushed against his own to a… A food shop? “Soul Food?” the bird was gone in the blink of an eye, replaced with an olive-skinned man with hazel eyes and dark hair who smiled at the sign in amusement before entering.

Whatever it was that he was tracking was certainly within.

@Kel
DC- DC-TV-1

137 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,435
Living in Hub for the last few months had not diminished her sense of wonder at the fantastical people that occupied it, ‘gods’, aliens, wondrous beings that defied anything Belle had ever read about except in pure science fiction.

What they had done was give her the ability to recover from witnessing the impossible, bright blue eyes widening as a majestic owl back winged onto her cafe’s front stoop, shifting into a beautiful man.

A soft sigh escaped her, there were sights she’d never find old, or at least she prayed she never did.

“Hi!” Belle waved cheerfully from behind the crowded counter, “Sit where ya like hun, I’ll be over in a second!”
@eve
OC-OC

82 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Of course he was beautiful. When you were a god, you were damn well going to be appealing to the vision of mortals; it came with the territory. Even at his tiredest, his weariest. Today, Seth felt quite good, actually.

Seth shifted from owl to man and looked around the cafe with a small smile. Bemused by the adorable decor and scent that came from what he assumed was likely the kitchen, Seth approved. He might have to bring Adhira here sometime…

Or not.

The woman who called out to him from behind the counter was as delicious as the food smelled.

If you asked Seth what he wanted in a woman, he’d tell you he wanted someone fierce, independent, willing to stand up to. In a man, it would be much the opposite. And he had a fierce, independent mate who spoke her mind to him, and he adored her beyond compare. His closest mortal female friends had been similar, but the women he had been drawn to had been soft, sweet, demure. Likewise, he had never lain with a meek man; the strong, the masculine, he appreciated that more than he liked to think.

Belle was sweet and gentle. Granting her a smile as warm as he was able to give, he nodded, eyes growing playful as he asked, “But if I wished to stand?” He did not pull his awareness away from her; her mind was open, easy to read, as most mortals were. She thought he was beautiful, and she was innocent in a way he hadn’t thought adult mortals were anymore. Even though he’d asked about standing, he sat at a table, eyes closing as he simply sat in a cozy cafe to wait his turn to be served. It was so quaint, and yet it was so nice at the same time.

It was like he almost missed being nearly mortal or something. He didn’t. He did not miss being confined to a single form and stuck on the ground to boot.

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

137 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

This early most of her customers that stayed to sit and eat va grabbing a pastry and continuing their day(it was somehow reassuring that even in a place as fantastical as this people still had regular work days to get to) were well...of the not quite living variety.

Which meant the meals they requested took a little more time and a little more effort on her part. And just a little bit of blood.

Belle had gotten enough practice that the tiny trickle of...magic? That followed the two drops of blood she watched fall into the coffee pot was hardly a thing. It took more concentration rather than effort.

“Here ya go hun.” Belle smiled at the Specter half sitting on/in one of the counter stools. Pouring his coffee and the rest of her line.

'And if I wish to Stand?' Belle glanced up at him a playful smile answering his own once she saw it, "Well Darlin' if thats what ya like feel free just keep out of the door." Belle winked turning her attenion back to the sleepy ghosts.

Her immediate task seen to Belle snagged a pad bouncing over to the new comer “Morning!” She greeted him cheerfully even though the sun had not quite risen over this part of the bazaar. “Anythin’ ya cravin’? Got some turnovers right out of the oven.” She offered.

The menu was mostly dinner fare with a slant towards her signature baked goods, the blackboard behind the counter showed which were edible for the undead.

@eve
OC-OC

82 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

The cafe was cute and cozy, and most of the time, these facts would have had Seth turning and leaving quite quickly, but not today. No, today there was something he was looking for, something that was here in this adorably quaint little shop. It wasn’t a place for death, but something of death, of the afterlife, was here, and he was intent on finding just what that was, and if it had any place here amongst humanity.

Something of the afterlife, and blood magic. The god’s head turned slightly as he sensed it, watching what the girl did, and realizing the intent behind it.

She was very kind, feeding the dead. Most people would never have even considered doing something of the sort; they were dead, they had no need to eat. And yet, there were souls here, seeking sustenance. And here she was, feeding them.

He wasn’t attempting to be difficult, the playful challenge escaping his lips before he thought better of it. Still, he found a table and settled into the chair there, a small smile gracing his lips as he waited for her to finish.

“Good morning.” he gave her a deep nod of greeting in return for her cheerful salutation. Craving? Hmm. Smiling more fully to her, he asked Belle, “What’s your favorite?” He gave it a beat for her mind to bring up the immediate thought, then shook his head and waved her off, “Don’t answer that.” Smiling breaking into a grin now, he ordered, “How about some loaded sweet potato fries and a cherry milkshake.”
DC- DC-TV-1

137 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Belle’s mouth snapped shut when he made the choice that was not what she would have verbalized but what she was so badly craving. “Ya got it hun, just be a minute.” Belle winked with her trademark playful flirtation.

Bouncing away into the kitchen, Belle fresh fryed the newly cut potatoes, liberally sprinkingly cheese curds, both cheddar and mozzarella along with ranch, maple bacon, and spring onions to give a hint of relief to the overwhelming tastes.

Fifteen minutes later Belle returned with a laden platter; she’d been in an out of the main dining area while his food had been frying. “Here ya go hun! Ya gotta try dipping the fries inta the shake.”
@eve
OC-OC

82 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

He felt her surprise, and returned her sudden quiet with an open smile. She liked this interesting conglomeration of food, and so he would try it. “Of course. Please, my dear, take your time. I’m in no hurry today.” His realm was stable, his mate apparently busy, leaving him… Idle for a few rare hours. It was such a freeing feeling, to be at loose ends.

Watching as she bounced around, into and out of the kitchen, he turned a part of his awareness toward seeking the item that had initially drawn him to this little cafe where the beautiful proprietor fed the dead and damned.

It wasn’t until Belle had returned with the food, (which did look rather appetising, setting it down on the table before him that he realized that the pull was coming from her.

So very interesting, indeed.

Reaching out, he caught her wrist gently, immediately letting go once he had her attention, “Surely you must be due a break for a few moments? Please, sit with me and help me eating this marvelous food you’ve crafted.” The look he gave her was as earnest as he could give; seeking her company for a few moments more, both because of her possession of this item that pulled to him as well as because she was kind and sweet beyond anything he rightfully deserved. “Please.” He was capable of making it a request! There was no force behind his words, offering her the choice to stay or not.

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

137 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

There were a few things Belle could not say no to; a pair of lonely eyes and the simple request for someone to keep him company? Of course she responded.

“Ya Lucky.” Belle smiled taking the seat across from him, “Mah customers this time of dawn aren’t ta rowdy.” While used to people, men especially, treating her body to be grabbed and touched at their convenience from her time bartending Belle only tensed slightly when he grabbed her wrist, his phrasing made it an actual request, and he wasn’t or at least didn’t seem skeevy.

The ring James had proposed to her with now lay hidden, deep in her cleavage, dangling from a long chain. Her reminder.

“You like sweet potatoes?”
She opened with gamely.@eve
OC-OC

82 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

“Apologies, I forgot my manners for a moment.” he spoke the words, oddly meaning them, when she tensed at his touch, and he had to wonder if she subconsciously recognized him for what he was. Not just his divinity, but rather just what domain he primarily served. People tended to shiver and tense and become shuttered when they realized who and what he was.

Lucky. Not his domain, and certainly not a word he would use to describe himself. “Well, I consider myself blessed, then.” The smile and chuckle he gave were amused and light; a god, blessed. Very amused. “Well, were they to do so, I would do everything in my power to make sure that they were calmed for you.” And that was a great deal of power, he knew. Seth wasn’t out to be demanding right now, he was curious, and Belle was rather enchanting.

Her question earned a small nod, “I spent many years of my life as a vegetarian. I’m not anymore, but in my youth, that was my way. I tend to like all fruits and vegetables as a result.” He reached forward, plucked out a fry from the batch, and dunked it into the milkshake, as she had suggested before biting into it. His eyes widened, and the sound he made was one of approval. “Oh, my dear, I owe you… Some favor that you will doubtlessly cash in far too quickly than is wise.” He smiled, “Because this… This is divine.” He leaned toward her, “Better than the last batch of ambrosia I’ve had, and that wasn’t half bad ambrosia.”

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

137 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Ah na leave em alone.” Belle’s soft scold held the protectiveness, she didn’t see the ghosts, specters, sprits, and reverants that came through her doors as anything other than poor lost souls looking for a touch of home, humanity, family. And that was after all what food had always been to her; food was love. A reminder that someone cared enough to sustain you, thought of you even when you were sure the world had forgotten your name.

Belle was not so innocent or unread to not suspect that at least some of her customers had done evil deeds in life or after death, but here in her shop they found peace, and as long as they came…

A soft satisfied smile curled her lips when a shade who was more mist than man took a sip, his very presence chilling the stools to his left and right. That small sip was the catalyst, details returned to his form.

Belle’s eyes prickled at the tangible good her efforts had produced. He had a long way to go but...he was remembering himself.

“Well than ya should come back ta night.” Belle turned her attention back to her newest guest. “Mah baked goods mostly sell out before midnight an’ ah make some lovely pies.” She allowed herself the brag, having her own shop had crystallized the fact that belle was a DAMN good cook and that pride of fact was visible.

Belle laughed, a wide unselfish conscious grin answering him “Well darlin’ ya should try mah ambrosia than.” She winked.

@eve
OC-OC

82 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Seth’s brows raised at the scolding, but he smiled nonetheless, eyes going to the undead that surrounded him; souls that had yet to head to the afterlife, for whatever reasons they had, and not a single one of them would meet the god of death’s gaze. For a long moment, it was as though every spectre and ghost held their breath, “You, my sweet, are quite kind. It does my heart good to see someone treat these souls so well.” And with those words the cafe returned to normal, Seth’s smile never wavering.

Seth could have told Belle who each soul was, what their past included deed-wise, but he kept his knowledge to himself; she wouldn’t turn them away, he could sense that from her thoughts, and truly, even the dead deserved a level of compassion, especially here in this city.

He watched the ghost drink the coffee and begin to remember himself, and nodded, reaching to request Belle’s hand for a moment before kissing her knuckles, “Excuse me for just a moment.” Seth stood and crossed the cafe, whispering quietly to the ghost, things only the dead man could and should hear, reminders of who he had been. Then the god straightened and strode back to the table, hazel eyes on Belle, “Your food seems to do wonders for those who partake. I think you shall be seeing me here more often.”

He settled back into his chair and chuckled, “Well of course you do.” She was a lovely woman, filled with compassion and marked by Love. Literally. He could see Sune’s work over the woman, and wondered how this woman had gained the goddess’ attention. His eyes widened slightly at Belle’s words and he leaned forward, “Real ambrosia? You make… real ambrosia here?” The humans had something they called ambrosia, but it wasn’t light made solid that they’d eaten on Olympus. That Ares had sometimes brought him below…

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

137 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Belle blinked at the soft brush of lips on her skin; what was in the air that seemed to turn them into characters out of her romance novels?

She did tense when he stood going over to the poor thing just trying to have a moment of peace.

The last few months had changed Belle, she had already been the kind of girl that would stand up to bullies, but now she possessed a level of self possession that the younger her had lacked.

Belle moved to her feet, eyes tight and ready to scold him for bothering the poor ghost, and if needed..Belle’s eyes flicked up to the Shield she kept ready just Incase. She might not be a Captain America or any such thing, but the brushed silver surface the few remaining flecks of paint lovingly preserved lent her an aura of authority.

When he only spoke to the man, and Belle caught a flash of something like gratitude on his shifting face, she relaxed back down into the chair.

“What did ya say to him? Do you know him?” Perhaps that was why he was here today, was he looking for an old friend?

Real ambrosia? Belle cocked her head, “Well honey im na sure if what we call ambrosia is the same, but ah make my momma’s an’ she’s had that in family for ages.” @eve
OC-OC

82 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Seth hid the smile that turned his lips upward as he heard her thoughts; romance novels? He was fairly certain that was a compliment… He couldn’t be completely sure, but it sounded like a positive thing, the way she thought it.

He heard her thoughts, her concerns, as he crossed the cafe, but he didn’t stop, didn’t hesitate. He was the god of death, a shield didn’t frighten him, and nothing he was doing was meant to be unkind. He wasn’t that sort of god. Osiris had been like that sometimes. Horus. Zeus nearly always. He took the time to speak to the ghost, using his abilities compassionately, bringin solace to the lost soul. Perhaps the man would not join his kingdom today, but eventually, he would be ready, and until then, there was no need for him to be miserable.

Crossing back to the table he was sharing with Belle, Seth settled into his seat and smiled, “I know who he was.” Seth shrugged, “I reminded him of that man, the person he was.” He tipped his head slightly, “That is your goal here, isn’t it? To bring comfort to the lost dead, to remind them of who they were?” He heard the question she didn’t speak. Why was he here? He shook his head, “I didn’t know him in life, no. But I know who he was. I’m not here for him, though.” The god gave the woman a smile, “Something drew me here, piqued my curiosity…” He chuckled, "And then I met you."

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

137 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Everyone deserves a bit of warmth.” Belle answered almost defensively.

Wait he was ‘not here for him’? Belle bristled, there has been a few folk that came through looking for trouble by trying to trap or exorcise her guests and Belle took short shift with that nonsense. There was no call for stalking the poor things down when they were just trying to eat. And worse scaring all the others that slowly trickled into her protection.

Belle took her hospitality seriously, you came under her roof, ate her food. Well than she took care of you. Easy as that.

“They aren’t here ta be stared at.” Her tone wasn’t angry, no it was matter of fact “No one likes to be stared at. People that come here get peace to be with out pressure. Ah hope you can respect that.” It was and was not a challenge in the best tradition of her southern roots, Belle didn’t raise her voice or even harden it. Through it all her tone was gentle but implacable.

“Ah appriciate What ya did for him.” She closed with, a small grateful smile

@eve
OC-OC

82 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

“Are you certain of that?” Seth’s question wasn’t biting, the tone wasn’t angry or teasing. Did she truly and really feel that way, or only because she didn’t know?

Seth arched a brow at the protective, even angry thoughts that rushed in at his answer. Honestly, he agreed with her; there was no reason to track down these souls here and now. The only reason Seth would understand such a thing was if they had murdered someone, and the dead typically didn’t do that. Thus far, here in this city, he hadn’t sensed anything like that.

He raised his hands, “Pax, dear lady, I am not here to stare.” He motioned toward the ghosts, “I deal with their lot far too often to seek them out on my own time. Trust me. There are, these days, more dead than there are living, after all.” There were so many dead. So many. Taking care of them was exhausting most of the time. But he had his helpers, his priests and assistants, and that made things immeasurably easier. “They are here to eat, and yes, I can respect that.”

He relaxed in his seat, “You are a remarkable woman, did you know that? Have you been told as much lately?” He doubted it. People took those who were remarkable for granted far too often. “I came in seeking out an item, a small trinket.” He tipped his head toward her, “One which you carry.” He chuckled, “And while I haven’t forgotten about the thing that tugged me into this place where I’d like to spend more time, I have been quite thoroughly distracted by the lovely proprietor.” He smiled, “For that, I thank you.”

He looked over to the ghost he had comforted, “I was glad to do it. I can’t permit such a thing for all I see here, but he was in dire need, and I made an exception.” He offered her his hand, “I’m Seth, by the way.”

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

137 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Yes.” She responded with hard tested certainty, even Martin the most evil creature she had encountered was worth a moment of warmth.

He sounded so tired…

Belle did the only thing she knew how to; a gentle hand covered his squeezing it for a moment. “Eat ya fries before they get cold.” She ordered kindly to distract him from what ever wayward thoughts put that exhaustion in his voice.

Belle snorted delicately at the compliment, “I do what I think is right same as anyone should.”

A small trinket? Her eyes snapped to the shield before he said ‘carried’. There was only a few things she carried on her and she doubted he was there for her pad or pen.

She would not let that ‘trinket’ go. Not without a fight. James had meant too much to her for her to abandon the token of his love.

“Belle Street.” Her tone had lost some of its warmth as she shook his hand, wary of his intentions.

@eve
OC-OC

82 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

It was such a firm, definite answer, as though nothing he could do, say, or show her would shake that belief. He paused, half tempted to test her answer, but in the end, he simply gave a quiet nod. “You are a rare creature, then." He saw that she had been tested, sorely, at least in one or two ways, and he’d rather foster her, strengthen her resolve rather than attempt to break such a firm faith.

Were it not for her gentle hand, Seth might have grown lost, turning his mind toward his duties rather than the cafe he had chosen to spend his time in today, but she reached out and touched him, lent him comfort, and he looked up at her and smiled, “Of course.” he nodded deeply to her and reached for a fry. She had no idea what he was. It was at once a relief and a concern. What of when she realized? Or would he simply always disguise himself, hold back his power, himself, so that this woman would never know him? He wasn’t certain of the answer yet. Death was a thing residing primarily in the past, weather in the present. The future wasn’t his domain.

He laughed at her dismissal of the compliment, “My dear, sweet lady… You really have no idea. I have travelled to many places, far beyond this fascinating city, and you?” He shook his head, “Few and far too far in between.” He smiled, “Because should is not would, but with you it seems it is.”

When he mentioned the trinket she carried with her, on her, he could hear the shift in her thoughts. She wouldn’t give it up. The thing was, he wasn’t here to take it from her. He shook her hand, his eyes and expression one of apology, “I have no intention or need of taking what belongs to you. I am no thief,” if he desired it, humans didn’t live so very long, he could be patient. “I just want to see it, perhaps touch it. Know what it is. As I said, it was curiosity that brought me and you that kept me here.”
DC- DC-TV-1

137 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Belle knew dang well that not everyone met the test of life or even tried some times. But she honestly and firmly believed no soul was irredeemable, not if they could truly see the love and warmth from just one person, sometimes...sometimes that was all it took.

And even if she didn’t have the right words, or if SHE wasn’t the right vessel that didn’t mean one did not exist for yes even Martin’s salvation.

Belle’s convictions might waver, attacked and worn down by the horrible things she witnessed, but if she gave up hope…that would be a larger betrayal of herself, it take some time but Belle had so far always found her center.

Nodding sharply once, she accepted his explanation for the moment, but she did still have some questions. “Why? And why would my ring bring you here.”

@eve
OC-OC

82 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Nyte

Well of course not everyone made the cut. People died unfulfilled, they died murderers and thieves, with terrible sins weighing their souls down. Some died with the earnest need to make things right, others worrying about those they left behind. Most made it to the afterlife, whichever one they were heading to, but some… Some ended up like the poor souls here, lost and wandering. Seth could lead them home, bring them to peace and rest, or to punishment and misery. He wouldn’t. If they called to him, if they asked him to do so, he would guide them to where they needed to go, of course, but here in this place, death was not always quite so permanent. So he’d leave them be unless requested. Help where he could to make sure none of them became belligerent, but that was the extent of his involvement. At least today.

Her test seemed to have been a rather brutal one. In part, Seth wanted to meet the man in black from Belle’s memory. Was he as horrible as Belle had judged him? And if he was, would Seth prefer to smite him for his actions against the lovely woman, or thank him for providing such a test? The god wasn’t quite sure. One or the other, most like.

She asked, her tongue echoing her thoughts, and he closed his eyes. Not already. He was enjoying himself, and she had to ask that. He opened his eyes again to look at her, hazel meeting blue, and searched for the best answer he could give her. “Your ring is of the realm of the dead. As such, it… Calls to me, like to like.” He shrugged, giving her a half smile, “I was curious as to what, in this place, could affect me of all creatures so.”

@kel
DC- DC-TV-1

137 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Belle cocked her head at the non answer answer, he was talking around her, she knew that with the certainty of a thousand hours of babysitting wayward boys.

But it was also his business till he made it hers, and Belle did not demand answers, who was she to force someone to talk when they clearly were trying to avoid something?

But she DID feel compelled to ask. “Hun...are ya a little bit dead as well?” She asked not unkindly, worry for his ability to truely enjoy his treat honestly what was prompting the question.

@eve