Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: 616 Tony StarkRemember When
Marvel-616

288 Posts
9 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 438
Tony blinked. It had honestly never occurred to him that Steve, or the others, would feel obligated to keep him on just because he funded the Avengers.

"I'd keep funding the team, you know," Tony felt obligated to explain, even after Steve had told him--incomprehensibly--that he'd still want him around even knowing who he was. "Even if you wanted me off. You're not--you don't have to keep me around, just for that. The Avengers have my full support, no matter what." He frowned further, wondering if maybe Steve just didn't get it. He swallowed, and admitted, "I've very nearly collapsed in the field half a dozen times. And even aside from my health... you know my reputation. I'm a rich playboy with no training and a list of faults longer than my arm. You couldn't possibly want me on the team."

@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

All Accounts Posts: 301
Steve cocks his head at Mr. Stark. He knew Mr. Stark would keep funding the Avengers no matter what. They both knew just how important the Avengers were.

"See, that's why you need to talk to us. We can't have you passing out in the field. We need to coordinate better, that's the only way..." Steve says trailing off. He looks at Mr. Stark in his older body.

"Well I guess it doesn't actually matter that much. You figured out a way to fix your heart and not get yourself killed which are both good things." Steve says with a slight grin.

Steve steps closer and puts a hand on Mr. Stark's shoulder.

"I don't care about what the press says. Newspapers never get the full story and I know you. I know how you've saved people on the field. That's the only reputation I care about." He says.
Marvel-616

288 Posts
9 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

“Yeah, I guess I did,” Tony said, shaking himself internally. After spending so much of the last few years focusing on his heart, and co on keeping it a secret, it was more than a little jarring for the problem to suddenly be solved. Even if it was only temporary, while he was inhabiting this older self’s body.

The little grin Steve have him went a long way toward helping, though. It filled him with a warmth that left him simultaneously longing and shameful. Then Steve was moving closer and putting a hand on his shoulder. Tony almost jerked away--couldn't let Steve feel the chest plate!-- before remembering and relaxing again. Steve's hand felt warm and solid, just like he'd always imagined.

He let out a breath. “That's, ah, not was I was expecting you to say,” he said, then looked away, still far too grateful for Steve's hand on his shoulder. “Thank you.” After a moment he added, “Before I get to work...I could use a coffee. Head's splitting. Care to join me?”
@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

@starkly

Steve feels the way Mr. Stark tenses under his grip and he realizes that this is the closest he's been to Mr. Stark outside of the Iron Man suit. How has he never noticed that before? No wonder he was able to hide the chest plate so well.

"What were you expecting me to say?" Steve asks curiously.

Coffee sounds good. He lets go of Mr. Stark's shoulder and steps back.

"Sure thing old man," Steve says giving him a lopsided grin.
Supernatural-N/A

107 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Jasmine

"Well, I thought..." Tony gestured vaguely. He'd always assumed that Steve would be the least willing to accept him knowing he was Tony Stark. Jan, like him, had grown up in a life of extravagance and wealth, and Hank was her boyfriend. Thor was royalty. But Steve, Steve had no reason to look at a man like Tony Stark and think anything good of him. Especially considering that Tony had spent his time flaunting almost all of the social mores that people had seemed to hold so tightly to in the 40s, and the tabloids had always blown that aspect of his life far out of proportion. "I... didn't think you'd like me very much," he admitted awkwardly. He felt like a teenager again. "I mean. My life. Nothing I've done... I know your whole story, and compared to you I'm not much more than a spoiled rich boy playing at being hero. At least. That's what I thought you'd say."

At Steve's agreement to get coffee, however, he perked up, smiling fondly at the phrase "old man." "That used to be my line. How old am I now, anyway? Must be ten years on. Say, did older me tell you much about where our lives go? I suppose it's like cheating, calling myself a futurist, but I really would like to know."
@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve looks down. It's true he didn't think much of Mr. Stark's partying ways, but he was also very aware of the fact that Mr. Stark fully funded the adventure that led to them finding Steve in the first place. Did Mr. Stark really think Steve wouldn't like him? Is that the impression that he gave off? That he was judgmental and perhaps even ungrateful for the kindness everyone showed him?

"I'm sorry that's the impression I gave," Steve says guiltily rubbing the back of his neck, "I have always been very impressed by Iron Man's bravery and grateful for how you've funded the Avengers and took me in after the ice."

Mr. Stark smiles at the old man comment as Steve hoped he would. Steve gives him a small grin, but his smile falters as Mr. Stark brings up the future.

"You didn't tell me much. You didn't think it was right for me to know my future," Steve says with a shrug, trying not to let the hurt bleed through in his voice, "I know we had a falling out though, and then I died. I don't know how. You didn't want to tell me and risk me changing my future."

@starkly
Marvel-616

288 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"No!" Tony said, surprising himself by the feeling behind it. "That's not what I meant at all. Steve." He took Steve by the shoulders, trying not to marvel at the firmness of the muscles beneath his hands. "It wasn't anything you did or said. You gave a great impression. I mean." He shook his head, reminding himself that he was an Avenger and the scion of Stark Industries and it wouldn't do for him to babble like a child under any circumstances just because he liked someone. "I mean, there's no need to thank me. I couldn't think of a better person to take in."

His good humor--too good, probably, what he really needed was a drink--faded as Steve described his older self. "You die?" he snapped, everything else seeming to fade away. Even the headache seemed to dull. Anger at his older self, at himself, flared up in its place. A falling out? What could his older self have possibly been up to do lose Steve's friendship and, apparently, to cause his death? And then to not even have the decency to tell him about it, to try to stop it?

"Steve," he said, in a clear, firm voice. "I don't know why I'm here now. But if I can use this to stop you from dying, I will. I'll find out what my older self was hiding. I'll find out what I did that--that got you killed. I promise. I won't let it happen."

@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Mr. Stark grabs his arms and Steve tenses in surprise as Mr. Stark babbles at him.

"Thank you Mr. Stark, that's very nice of you." He says. He feels a tug of sadness as Mr. Stark let's go and the conversation moves on.

A series of expressions flit across Mr. Stark's face when Steve tells him about Steve's death. He doesn't catch all of them, but anger is clearly one of the stronger ones. Steve honestly isn't expecting this reaction. As far as Mr. Stark remembers they've only known each other a few months and while any death is tragic, this is more of a death of an acquaintance than the death of a friend.

"Mr. Stark I'm not blaming you for my death or anything," Steve says quickly as Mr. Stark immediately begins self assigning guilt for it, "and honestly if I die saving people than I don't want to change it. I always knew that death was part of the risk that came with the job. It just hurt that the older you didn't trust me enough to be honest with me."