Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: 616 Tony StarkRemember When
Marvel-616

255 Posts
9 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 383
Tony was drunk in the lab. Ever since he'd gotten drunk with Safi on the Mansion roof it'd seemed silly to say no to a couple drinks each night, or during the day if he was really feeling bad. Today had started that way, after he'd woken from a dream in which Steve had come back to life and forgiven him and it had taken precious seconds to realize it wasn't really true. A little Irish coffee had done the trick, though.

He was still hiding the drinking as well as he could, from anyone who might have something to say about it. He had it under control, though. He wasn't going to hit bottom like he had five years ago.

On the lab bench in front of him sat an odd piece of alien tech he'd picked up on an excursion through the Hub. He wasn't sure what it did...exactly...but he had an inkling it might have useful applications for the memory processors in his Extremis armor. He'd been trying to interface with it for several minutes, but it was a little hard to see straight.

Finally he got a connection and--

Tony blinked the sleep out of his eyes, aware of one thing only. He was hungover. He tried to remember the night before. Thor had been visiting, and Jan and Hank had thrown a little party, for Avengers only. Tony had spent most of the evening as Iron Man, trading jokes with Cap and sipping drinks through a straw.

He didn't remember how he'd ended up on the lab floor. Or what half the equipment in his lab was, for that matter.

Heart pounding, he pushed himself off to his feet, dusting off clothes he definitely didn't remember putting on. Something strange was going on. He only wished his head didn't feel like it was splitting in two.

He staggered out of the lab, squinting under lights that were just a little too bright, and was extremely relieved to run into Steve, who looked exactly like the man Tony had been expecting.

He was Tony Stark and not Iron Man, so he didn't greet Cap as enthusiastically as he'd have looked to. Instead he said, "Captain. Just the man I'd been hoping to see. There's something strange going on here and I'd like to get to the bottom of it."

@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

252 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

All Accounts Posts: 281
@starkly

Ever since that disasterous conversation in the elevator Steve and Mr. Stark had been quietly avoiding each other. It wasn't an ideal situation, and Steve knew they couldn't do it forever, but for now it worked.

That is why when Steve turns the corner and is greeted by Mr. Stark in the friendliest way since coming to the hub Steve is both confused and suspicious. He even has to do a quick glance around to make sure that Mr. Stark isn't greetings one of the other Steve Rogers that live in the Hub. However it is only the two of them in the hall.

"Um...what do you mean?" Steve asks. Something strange? Did they need to go on a mission? Steve is sure that he and Mr. Stark can at least act civil when there are lives on the line. "What's strange?"
Marvel-616

255 Posts
9 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

There was something odd about Cap's reaction. In the few months since he'd known him, Tony had spent a good amount of time around the man, both in his Iron Man costume and out. When he was Iron Man, Cap always seemed happy to see him, and he'd smile and clap Tony on the shoulder and usually invite Iron Man to join whatever he was doing. Even when Tony would come into the common room in the middle of the night to find Cap sitting by the fire, shivering, awake from another nightmare. As Tony Stark, Cap's affection was always more measured, but he'd certainly never gotten the sense that Steve disliked him.

Because that was it. Steve was using the stiff face and tone that he reserved for people he'd really rather not be speaking to.

"I woke up in my lab just now," Tony explained, trying not to feel hurt because there had to be plenty of reasons for Cap to act cold that had nothing to do with him, and it wasn't like he'd ever really deserved all of Cap's affection to begin with. "And there's something off. The equipment, my clothes, my--" he stopped suddenly, because something so impossible had happened he didn't know how to respond. He hadn't even noticed it at first, but the weight of the chestplate was absent under his unfamiliar shirt, and yet his heart wasn't stuttering painfully in his chest. He could feel it beating steadily as it had before Afghanistan. But he couldn't possibly explain that to Steve, so he only said, "I don't remember how I got there. All I remember is Jan's party last night, and I certainly didn't drink enough to warrant this headache. So, have you--noticed anything odd around here? Anything at all?"
Marvel-616 Universe

252 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Oh that explained the odd behavior; Mr. Stark had been drinking. He hadn't been around long enough in his own world to pick up on Mr. Stark's alcoholism, but from what he's heard since coming to the hub, it had been bad.

Steve has no real interest playing babysitter to a drunk Mr. Stark, but he also knows that he can't let a drunk Mr. Stark play with anything in his lab without risking the entire building going up in flames.

"You must be still drunk Mr. Stark. You're confused. There wasn't a party here last night and I don't even think Jan is in the hub," Steve says, though he wishes she were. He likes Jan, she had been very helpful in accumulating him to the future and he misses her.

"Maybe you should go lie down." He says.
Marvel-616

255 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony knew he probably drank a little too much. It wasn't a real problem, not like some people had problems with alcohol, but all the same it'd seemed like a good thing that between his two identities none of the Avengers could really keep tabs on it. The way Steve was looking at him, though-- it was the Jarvis had used to look at Tony's father as he'd ushered Tony carefully away from one of his drunken spells.

"I'm not drunk," Tony said impatiently. "I'm hungover. But also confused. What do you mean, Jan didn't throw a party? Of course she did, remember, I stopped in early in the evening, but Iron Man told me the two of you had a grand old time." Then he blinked, because obviously there was more going on here. "Hold up. What's the Hub?"

Even as he spoke, he couldn't pull his attention from the rhythmic pounding in his chest, where his heart was beating just fine without the chestplate. This long without it, he should have felt it skipping beats, at least, along with the weakness and pain he was still getting used to. But all he could feel was the twinge of what felt like healing ribs, even though he didn't remember breaking any recently. He had to find out what was going on, which meant going back down to his lab. Alone.

"Second though, maybe I will go lie down," Tony said abruptly. "Uh... thanks. I'll see you later. Or Iron Man will. He'll be around." Steve always liked talked to Iron Man more, and in the suit maybe Tony could find out what he was really talking about.

@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

252 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

@starkly

Steve has been around a lot of drunk people in his life. He's well versed in the variety of ways drunk people behave and he has never seen someone who is drunk enough to have severe memory loss but shows no signs of slurring or stumbling.... Did Mr. Stark do drugs?

Then Mr. Stark launches into a crazy story about a party and tries to claim that he and Iron Man are two separate people. Steve blinks at him, waiting for Mr. Stark to laugh or tell him to stop being so gullible.

That doesn't happen. Instead he looks around and asks what the hub is. Steve examines him closer. Maybe this isn't his Mr. Stark. Maybe it's a new one from a different universe. It's not. He recognizes the tired lines of his face that haven't gone away since their meeting in the elevator.

"Mr. Stark did you hit your head?" Steve asks catching his arm as Mr. Stark tries to leave.He checks out Mr. Stark's eyes for signs of a concussion, but finds then clear, albiet confused.

"We should go down to your lab to talk. Something is going on." Steve says seriously.
Marvel-616

255 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"I didn't hit my head," Tony said defensively. Though to be fair, he had woken up on the floor and his head was still splitting, so it was relatively plausible that he had at some point. But that seemed rather incidental to whatever else was going on and not worth a mention.

Then Steve caught his arm and suggested they go down to the lab together, and Tony felt a rush of relief. This was the Steve he knew, the one who would grab you by the arm and insist on helping you, no way around it.

Unfortunately, Tony couldn't possibly have him in the lab while he tried to understand what was going on. He wasn't ready to let Steve know who Iron Man really was. Some days, when Steve looked at Iron Man with warmth and affection and that little smile he had, Tony didn't think he'd ever be ready.

"Something is going on," Tony said, relief still coloring his voice. "But now that I think about it, there are some lab tests I should run before we debrief. How about this, I'll send Iron Man to let you know how they've gone."

@becky