Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: 616 Tony StarkRemember When
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 435
Tony was drunk in the lab. Ever since he'd gotten drunk with Safi on the Mansion roof it'd seemed silly to say no to a couple drinks each night, or during the day if he was really feeling bad. Today had started that way, after he'd woken from a dream in which Steve had come back to life and forgiven him and it had taken precious seconds to realize it wasn't really true. A little Irish coffee had done the trick, though.

He was still hiding the drinking as well as he could, from anyone who might have something to say about it. He had it under control, though. He wasn't going to hit bottom like he had five years ago.

On the lab bench in front of him sat an odd piece of alien tech he'd picked up on an excursion through the Hub. He wasn't sure what it did...exactly...but he had an inkling it might have useful applications for the memory processors in his Extremis armor. He'd been trying to interface with it for several minutes, but it was a little hard to see straight.

Finally he got a connection and--

Tony blinked the sleep out of his eyes, aware of one thing only. He was hungover. He tried to remember the night before. Thor had been visiting, and Jan and Hank had thrown a little party, for Avengers only. Tony had spent most of the evening as Iron Man, trading jokes with Cap and sipping drinks through a straw.

He didn't remember how he'd ended up on the lab floor. Or what half the equipment in his lab was, for that matter.

Heart pounding, he pushed himself off to his feet, dusting off clothes he definitely didn't remember putting on. Something strange was going on. He only wished his head didn't feel like it was splitting in two.

He staggered out of the lab, squinting under lights that were just a little too bright, and was extremely relieved to run into Steve, who looked exactly like the man Tony had been expecting.

He was Tony Stark and not Iron Man, so he didn't greet Cap as enthusiastically as he'd have looked to. Instead he said, "Captain. Just the man I'd been hoping to see. There's something strange going on here and I'd like to get to the bottom of it."

@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

All Accounts Posts: 301
@starkly

Ever since that disasterous conversation in the elevator Steve and Mr. Stark had been quietly avoiding each other. It wasn't an ideal situation, and Steve knew they couldn't do it forever, but for now it worked.

That is why when Steve turns the corner and is greeted by Mr. Stark in the friendliest way since coming to the hub Steve is both confused and suspicious. He even has to do a quick glance around to make sure that Mr. Stark isn't greetings one of the other Steve Rogers that live in the Hub. However it is only the two of them in the hall.

"Um...what do you mean?" Steve asks. Something strange? Did they need to go on a mission? Steve is sure that he and Mr. Stark can at least act civil when there are lives on the line. "What's strange?"
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

There was something odd about Cap's reaction. In the few months since he'd known him, Tony had spent a good amount of time around the man, both in his Iron Man costume and out. When he was Iron Man, Cap always seemed happy to see him, and he'd smile and clap Tony on the shoulder and usually invite Iron Man to join whatever he was doing. Even when Tony would come into the common room in the middle of the night to find Cap sitting by the fire, shivering, awake from another nightmare. As Tony Stark, Cap's affection was always more measured, but he'd certainly never gotten the sense that Steve disliked him.

Because that was it. Steve was using the stiff face and tone that he reserved for people he'd really rather not be speaking to.

"I woke up in my lab just now," Tony explained, trying not to feel hurt because there had to be plenty of reasons for Cap to act cold that had nothing to do with him, and it wasn't like he'd ever really deserved all of Cap's affection to begin with. "And there's something off. The equipment, my clothes, my--" he stopped suddenly, because something so impossible had happened he didn't know how to respond. He hadn't even noticed it at first, but the weight of the chestplate was absent under his unfamiliar shirt, and yet his heart wasn't stuttering painfully in his chest. He could feel it beating steadily as it had before Afghanistan. But he couldn't possibly explain that to Steve, so he only said, "I don't remember how I got there. All I remember is Jan's party last night, and I certainly didn't drink enough to warrant this headache. So, have you--noticed anything odd around here? Anything at all?"
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Oh that explained the odd behavior; Mr. Stark had been drinking. He hadn't been around long enough in his own world to pick up on Mr. Stark's alcoholism, but from what he's heard since coming to the hub, it had been bad.

Steve has no real interest playing babysitter to a drunk Mr. Stark, but he also knows that he can't let a drunk Mr. Stark play with anything in his lab without risking the entire building going up in flames.

"You must be still drunk Mr. Stark. You're confused. There wasn't a party here last night and I don't even think Jan is in the hub," Steve says, though he wishes she were. He likes Jan, she had been very helpful in accumulating him to the future and he misses her.

"Maybe you should go lie down." He says.
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony knew he probably drank a little too much. It wasn't a real problem, not like some people had problems with alcohol, but all the same it'd seemed like a good thing that between his two identities none of the Avengers could really keep tabs on it. The way Steve was looking at him, though-- it was the Jarvis had used to look at Tony's father as he'd ushered Tony carefully away from one of his drunken spells.

"I'm not drunk," Tony said impatiently. "I'm hungover. But also confused. What do you mean, Jan didn't throw a party? Of course she did, remember, I stopped in early in the evening, but Iron Man told me the two of you had a grand old time." Then he blinked, because obviously there was more going on here. "Hold up. What's the Hub?"

Even as he spoke, he couldn't pull his attention from the rhythmic pounding in his chest, where his heart was beating just fine without the chestplate. This long without it, he should have felt it skipping beats, at least, along with the weakness and pain he was still getting used to. But all he could feel was the twinge of what felt like healing ribs, even though he didn't remember breaking any recently. He had to find out what was going on, which meant going back down to his lab. Alone.

"Second though, maybe I will go lie down," Tony said abruptly. "Uh... thanks. I'll see you later. Or Iron Man will. He'll be around." Steve always liked talked to Iron Man more, and in the suit maybe Tony could find out what he was really talking about.

@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

@starkly

Steve has been around a lot of drunk people in his life. He's well versed in the variety of ways drunk people behave and he has never seen someone who is drunk enough to have severe memory loss but shows no signs of slurring or stumbling.... Did Mr. Stark do drugs?

Then Mr. Stark launches into a crazy story about a party and tries to claim that he and Iron Man are two separate people. Steve blinks at him, waiting for Mr. Stark to laugh or tell him to stop being so gullible.

That doesn't happen. Instead he looks around and asks what the hub is. Steve examines him closer. Maybe this isn't his Mr. Stark. Maybe it's a new one from a different universe. It's not. He recognizes the tired lines of his face that haven't gone away since their meeting in the elevator.

"Mr. Stark did you hit your head?" Steve asks catching his arm as Mr. Stark tries to leave.He checks out Mr. Stark's eyes for signs of a concussion, but finds then clear, albiet confused.

"We should go down to your lab to talk. Something is going on." Steve says seriously.
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"I didn't hit my head," Tony said defensively. Though to be fair, he had woken up on the floor and his head was still splitting, so it was relatively plausible that he had at some point. But that seemed rather incidental to whatever else was going on and not worth a mention.

Then Steve caught his arm and suggested they go down to the lab together, and Tony felt a rush of relief. This was the Steve he knew, the one who would grab you by the arm and insist on helping you, no way around it.

Unfortunately, Tony couldn't possibly have him in the lab while he tried to understand what was going on. He wasn't ready to let Steve know who Iron Man really was. Some days, when Steve looked at Iron Man with warmth and affection and that little smile he had, Tony didn't think he'd ever be ready.

"Something is going on," Tony said, relief still coloring his voice. "But now that I think about it, there are some lab tests I should run before we debrief. How about this, I'll send Iron Man to let you know how they've gone."

@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

@starkly

Steve cocks his head at Mr. Stark's insistence that Iron Man is a separate person. Has he truly forgotten that Steve knows the truth or is he trying to convince some hidden third party that Iron Man is a separate person. Steve looks around. They are the only two people in the hall. Still he lowers his voice before speaking.

"Mr. Stark... I know you're Iron Man."

He doesn't wait for Mr. Stark to say anything before dragging him towards the lab. No matter what is going on it will be better if they continue this conversation somewhere with more privacy.
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony was normally pretty good at controlling his reactions. People called him suave. Being in the public eye your whole life, and having a secret identity to boot, made that kind of a necessity. But when Steve leaned in and whispered Tony's dearest secret (or close enough, the things he was starting to feel for Cap being a contender), it was like his mind had just gone blank.

"I'm not--who told--what?--you must be--no," he babbled, then scrubbed his hand down his face because this strange day was taking an even stranger turn and he couldn't even begin to imagine how Steve had found out. Had he been careless during his strange blackout? It would be a much easier question to answer if he could remember the night before.

Then he stopped, his hand stalling one something even more out of place. Where last night he'd had nothing but a nearly trimmed mustache, there was now a full goatee.

He let Steve drag him a few feet, his mind working. His lost time, the missing chest plate, Steve knowing his secret, a beard appearing overnight... He'd think he'd fallen into an alternate universe of some kind, if not for Steve, who seemed exactly like the man Tony had seen the night before. Then he stopped suddenly, surprised when he had the strength to make Steve halt if only for a moment. Something else to add to the list.

"How did you find out who I am?" Tony asked in a low voice. If nothing else, whatever Steve told him could give him information about where he'd ended up, or whose body he'd ended up in. He'd never traveled the multiverse, of course, but he knew of its theoretical existence. So many things were possible. "When? I promise you, Steve, it's important."
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve keeps dragging Mr. Stark's along as he babbles out denials. His concern only increases when Mr. Stark begins stroking his beard with a look of utter confusion on his face, as if he's never felt a beard before.

Mr. Stark comes to a halt forcing Steve to stop at will. The look of confusion and poorly disguised fear on his face makes Steve frown in sympathy. He knows a thing or two about waking up and not knowing where or when you are. He'd never wish that kind of confused panic on Mr. Stark.

"Look I found out about a week or two after coming to the hub, but in your original timeline I don't think I found out until after a few years of knowing you." Steve says, "I don't know if that actually makes things less confusing for you though."

He gets Mr. Stark moving again and brings him down to the lab where they can speak openly.
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Nothing made any sense. Tony was aware, theoretically, of the possibility of multiple timelines and universes, but in all his (admittedly few) years of being an Avenger he'd never come close to experiencing them.

He wasn't sure if he was reeling more because of that or because Steve knew he was Iron Man. Well, that explained his cold reaction to him. Of course he must have been angry to find out that Tony had been playing at hero, and he was only now warming up because it was clear something was wrong and Steve could never not help.

The sinking in his chest was disappointment, Tony was sure, and not his weak heart giving out. Because it wasn't weak. Because nothing made sense.

"What's the Hub?" he asked in a low voice, once they were in the lab. Alone. "What do you mean, my original timeline? You know--you know I'm not supposed to be here?" The words came out a bit more tremulous than he'd intended, and he cleared his throat and folded his arms and put on his best self-assured-CEO-slash-Avengers-beneficiary-voice. The one that said 'I may only be twenty-five but you can bet your boots I know what I'm doing.' He said, "Cap, I met you three months ago. No one, and I mean no one, knows about Iron Man. But since you have all the answers, how about you tell me what's going on here? And where's my--" He wanted to ask about the chest plate, but he wasn't sure if Steve knew about it and he wasn't going to accidentally expose it, so he finished lamely with, "--mustache?"

@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

@starkly

Mr. Stark is nervous. Nervous and trying very hard to disguise it. He has so many questions and Steve is sure his answers will lead to more questions, questions that he doesn't have answers for.

"So as far as I can figure from what you told me the hub is like a pocket universe wedged bedtween a bunch of different universes. You and I come from the same universe, only you're about ten years into my future. I don't know when or how you came to the hub but I've only been here about a month. I think you can go back though. Some people can travel freely between their universe and the hub." Steve explains. It doesn't have nearly as much technobabble that Mr. Stark's explanation had when he explained it, but it's the best Steve can do and he's sure Mr. Stark is smart enough to figure out the science behind it again if he's curious.

"As to knowing that you're Iron Man, I found out while here but apparently I find out in the future anyway. I don't know how though. I'm afraid that's most of what I know. I was only out of the ice for a few months before coming here," Steve says.

Steve quirks a smile when Mr. Stark asks about his mustache. He feels certain that Mr. Stark was going to ask about something else, but he doesn't push it.

"Nothing happened to your mustache, you just added a beard to it."
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony listened intently as Steve spoke, brows drawing together as the pieces kept not adding up. Steve was talking about him like he was someone else, some older version of himself, who had known Steve for a lot longer than Steve remembered knowing him. And somehow the lab he was looking at wasn't his lab, but a copy in some interdimensional hub.

God. Thinking about time travel through the multiverse gave him a headache on the best of days, and he already had a doozy.

On the other hand, the way Steve smiled when he asked about the mustache, and his oh-so-Steve answer to it, sent a fond warmth pooling through him. Now Steve sounded like Tony's friend, like the man he was already starting to--

Nope, not going to go there, not ever. Talk about barking up the wrong tree.

"Steve, the Avengers and I pulled you out of the ice months ago," he said slowly. He caught sight of his reflection in a pane of glass and stared at it, transfixed for a moment by the tired, gaunt look of his face, not to mention the unfamiliar facial hair. That explained his chest plate, at least. If he were in an older body, he must have found a way to fix his heart before it could kill him like he'd thought it would. "At least, that's what I remember. I don't know how I got here, to this Hub, to this older body--or if older me lost his memory--but as far as I'm concerned I'm Tony Stark, I turned twenty-five last month, and when I went to sleep last night I was in Avengers mansion with the team." He sighed. "I'm glad you're here, because, to be honest, I have no idea how to fix this."

@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

@starkly

Mr. Stark looks overwhelmed, but thankfully he at least seems to believe what Steve is saying. He can't imagine how he would have convinced him if he didn't.

When Mr. Stark stops talking to look at his reflection Steve steps forward. He runs his hands along the back of Mr. Stark's skull, searching for cuts, bumps, or any proof that Mr. Stark hit his head. He finds none.

"I don't think you hit your head at least and unfortunately I have no idea what the latest project you were working on was." Steve says. He looks around the lab and sees various half completed projects scattered around.

"Don't worry Mr. Stark, we'll figure this out." Steve gives him a reassuring smile, "hopefully this is a memory erase thing instead of a body switching thing."
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

The feel of Steve gently running his fingers through Tony's hair was...nice. Unexpected, but nice. As Iron Man, of course, Tony had never let Steve see him without the suit. Let alone touch him. And as Tony Stark, it was just as impossible to let anyone get close, not that Steve had ever seemed interested. Of course, he was only checking for a head injury, but Tony would take what he could get. Steve was--well, the phrase that came to mind was utterly unattainable.

The reassuring smile that followed was nice, too. It seemed that whatever wrong foot they'd started off on, Steve was really back to his usual self. They'd figure this out. He believed that. So he looked away from his tired reflection, returned the smile and said, "I appreciate it. I'll have to catalog all of these projects later, see if there's anything that could have caused this. I'm not sure there's much you can do, but I'd welcome the company all the same."

Then, because he was an idiot and he couldn't help himself, he blurted out, "You know I'm Iron Man. You're not--mad? I always though you'd, well. Not want me around anymore."

@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

@starkly

Steve nods. Cataloging all his projects woul probably take a while. Mr. Stark was, at any give time, working on a dozen different projects.

"I'll stay and help where I can. Maybe the other Tony Stark can help you sort through them all as well." Steve offers.

Steve sighs. They were having such a pleasant conversation for once. Of course Mr. Stark would choose this moment to bring that up.

"I'm not mad that your Iron Man. I'm mad that you lied to me...of course everything is all messed up. I found out the truth when I came to the hub, but apparently I wasn't supposed to find out until a few years later. Apparently I took the news ok." Steve shrugs, "I'm not sure, you've been pretty scarce on giving me many details about my future."
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony blinked at Steve's offer. Not that he was surprised at Steve offering to stay, but... "The other Tony Stark?" Did he mean the Tony whose body he was maybe inhabiting? That didn't make much sense, though. His head hurt. He winced and pinched the bridge of his nose, wishing he felt a little better so he could just think.

He was distracted from his question, however, by Steve's answer. Steve was angry, just like Tony had feared he'd be. Angry that Tony had lied, anyway. The admission came like a kick to the gut, because even after knowing Steve only a few months he hated the thought of Steve being angry with him. Steve was becoming one of his best friends, and someone he really--liked. He caught the anger at his older self too, for apparently keeping Steve in the dark.

"I never wanted to lie," Tony said in a rush, as if that was the most important thing to be hung up on here, not the fact that he was currently an amnesiac thirty-five-year-old in a multiversal dimension with no idea how he'd gotten there or how to get back. "You know that, don't you? I had to do it because, well it's obvious, isn't it? You'd never have had me on the team otherwise."

@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

@starkly

"yeah there's apparently multiple universes and with that comes multiple Tony Starks, so don't be upset if you see another Tony Stark running around." Steve says, then adds, "there's also another Steve Rogers, so you may see him around too."

Steve tried to keep the bitterness out of his voice, but judging on Mr. Stark's reaction, he didn't quite manage it. Though the lingering anger is superceded by confusion at Mr. Stark's explanation.

"What do you mean I wouldn't have you on the team? It's not my call. You and your team found me in the ice and were nice enough to let me join. You really thought I would repay that kindness with kicking you off the team?" Steve asks, hurt. Apparently Mr. Stark's lack of faith in him is something that's been around since the beginning. He's just never noticed it before. He wonders if his other self ever figured out how little Mr. Stark actually trusted him to make good choices before he died.
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"Ugh," Tony said, at the thought of more than one of him running around. He could barely stand to be in his own head half the time. Surely nothing good could come of there being MORE of him. The idea of another Steve was, well, more interesting. But Tony could hardly imagine getting on better with any other Steve than he already did this one.

Or maybe not. Steve's confusion made something sad well up in him. It was like each time he thought Steve couldn't get any better, any kinder or more humble or more considerate, he somehow did.

"You're already an important member of the team," Tony explained, biting his lip and looking away. To be fair, it's not so much you I'm worried about it is you and everyone else. " He paused, took a deep breath-- it was so easy without the chest plate--and said, "You know a little about my heart, don't you? It was in the news when I came back, how it was damaged. What they never reported is that the only thing still keeping me alive is--was--I hate time travel or memory loss or whatever--the chest plate from my armor. I have to wear it all the time and keep it charged. I'm the weakest on the team by far. That's why I couldn't tell you. I'm sorry."

@becky
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

@starkly

Steve smiles at Mr. Stark's groan.

"It's a little weird," he admits, "but they aren't bad."

Steve cocks his head at Mr. Stark. "But from my understanding you fund the team. They can't just kick you off."

Mr. Stark explains his heart condition. When he was first brought to the mansion he heard Mr. Stark mention it and more than once the tabloids have brought it up. He had no idea that it was so bad. That certainly explains why Mr. Stark always seemed standoffish and in a rush to leave. It couldn't have been easy hiding a chest plate under his dress shirts.

"You're not weak though. I've seen Iron Man fight, you're more than capable on the field," Steve says, "why would we not want you out there with us? We'd of course have to be mindful of making sure your chest plate remains charged, but that seems doable."

Steve didn't know the others very well, but from what he did know of them they all seemed like good folks. He couldn't see them having a problem with taking extra safety precautions on behalf of a teammate. That's why they were all on a team in the first place; to watch each other's backs!