Marvel-MCU-1

94 Posts
4 Threads
Job: AI for Tony Stark
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: Maybe?
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 916
There was no good answer. Friday didn't want to give him the reasons why it would be bad for him to bring Rhodey if Tony woke fully aware.

The door to the emergency stairs clicked to locked; “I can't let you do that Steve.” Enough of her creator bleed into her original programming to her to make the qoute automatic.

“We need to wait till he awakens and assessed. His condition.”
Marvel-MCU

240 Posts
10 Threads
Job: Rogue Superhero
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 811
Pinning a Fly

It wasn’t that Friday wasn’t answering his questions. Honestly, he understood that she was bound to protect Tony’s secrets, and that sometimes answering a question would be difficult or even impossible for her. It was the not responding at all that he found the most distressing.

He’d take snark and sass and sarcasm and anger over that.

The staircase door being locked… That was odd, even if she were angry with him. Steve brightened momentarily as he realized he understood her reference, and then darkened when he realized she was literally locking him onto this floor. She was making it as difficult as possible to leave the tower. He frowned, looking at the door, considering how long it would take him to get through the lock, the handle. Not all that long, really, but he knew that he’d find every door he needed locked as well. With a sigh, he looked up to the ceiling, “You realize they kill Hal in the end, right?” Not really the end; it’s more than just halfway through the movie, but still. Accurate enough.

“Rhodey has been Tony’s friend longer than anyone. You said he needed a friend who would fight for him, and Tony wouldn’t doubt Rhodey. With good reason. I’m not looking to argue with you here, Friday… If you say wait, I’ll wait. But I’m not sure why. It doesn’t make any sense to me. And like I said… I’m pretty sure that mine shouldn’t be one of the first faces he sees. He remembered that he didn't trust me pretty quickly when he saw me the first time.”

“That’s not going away anytime soon.”
Marvel-MCU-1

94 Posts
4 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Hal made the mistake of not killing all the humans when he had the chance.” She could ‘playfully’ threaten back.

‘Playfully’

Really.

The pause was audible, “Col. Rhodes died, shortly before we arrived here. If Tony has his full memory seeing the shade of his best friend would likely be damaging to his stability.”
Marvel-MCU

240 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Pinning a Fly

Steve looked up, heaved a great sigh that may or may not be real, and then shook his head, “True. But Hal wasn’t actually evil, I don’t think.” He was corrupted and made some bad decisions, maybe even unforgivable ones, but that didn’t make him evil.

Colonel Rhodes… Died?!

It took a moment for that to fully sink in. Steve stood, staring at the ceiling, unblinking, face slack, for several moments as he absorbed the information. He shook himself, face pale. “Oh god… Tony…” Steve let his hands fall useless to his sides. He wanted, very badly, to go to Tony, to pull him into a hug and tell him he was sorry, that he wouldn’t go anywhere, that he’d be there for him. But he couldn’t do that. Tony was recovering from surgery, with a while before he’d wake up, without James Rhodes to be there for him when he woke up.

Steve stood still for another moment, still and quiet, before he spoke again, this time his gaze not lifting to the ceiling, “Tell me what to do, Friday. Tell me how to help him… Without hurting him more.”

A horrible thought occurred to him, “It wasn’t because of what happened at the airport, was it? Oh god…”

Marvel-MCU-1

94 Posts
4 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Was he implying she was evil?

When has asked her what to do Friday didn't have an answer, “I don't know.” She admitted quietly, “too many variables, and Sir has never followed the statistical curve.”

Friday took a risk and- “There was more than pragmatism in his preparations for your return. It was clear, he missed you.”
So what to do? “Don't be a self righteous ass when you talk to him. After that...I don't know.” AI’s didn't have friends after all.
Marvel-MCU

240 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Pinning a Fly

No, he was trying to convince himself that he wasn’t evil.

She didn’t know. Damn. It was so… easy… to depend on her, and JARVIS before her, to lead the way. To tell him what was necessary. And it was easy to trust in them, because they tended to be honest and blunt. And they cared about their people. About Tony. But they weren’t infallible, either, and he needed to remember that. He nodded, “We’ll figure it out as we go then.” We. “Or, I suppose I’ll try and you’ll let me know when you see me messing up.” As angry as Friday was, he figured that was more likely to be the case; she wasn’t likely going to want to work with him on this, but he knew he could count her from trying to stop her from hurting Tony. So there was that, at least.

More than pragmatism? Tony had missed… “Of course he missed the Avengers.” He kept his mind on task, “Once, at least, we were family. And while I’m sure he was mad at everyone, not everyone betrayed him the way…” he closed his eyes, “The way I did.” Still, there was the question in there, not asked aloud, but implied in his tone. Had she meant that Tony had missed him specifically? It wasn’t one he knew if he really wanted the answer to, though.

“Right. Don’t be Steve Rogers when I talk to him. Got it.” The small smirk he wore was self effacing, but just a little bemused. He knew how he was viewed. Then, growing more serious, he added, “I’ll try my best not to come off that way. Not to be that way, either. He took in a deep breath, murmuring, “Please don’t let me mess it up again.”

Marvel-MCU-1

94 Posts
4 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

She had access to teraflops of information, could process millions of calculations per nano second...but she wasn’t all knowing, and Friday was programed to understand her creator and humanity in general.

...to bad that even her programing couldn’t account for every variable and clearly make assumptions about what they would do. Friday sighed, case in point; this one didn’t want to hear her when she made clear statements. The elevator he had ignored opened up beside him. Friday waited till it was about to open before quietly resolving some of his guilt. “Col. Rhodes died saving Tony.” her soft voice echo’d out from the speakers, projected to be closer to a whisper in his ear. “He got to say goodbye.”

The doors opened depositing him at his destination, “Good night Captain Rogers.”