94 Posts
4 Threads
Job: AI for Tony Stark
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: Maybe?
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 904
Her Creator Slept.

Friday gazed down at the shape of Tony Stark, white bandages contrasting with the dark of his remaining hair, he was going to throw a fit when he saw what had been done. Friday hoped he would at least, if he did it meant that he was...well better. There had been little snark, no jokes, nothing not since-

An alert tripping told her that Captain Rogers was on the move, heading to the kitchen it seemed. Friday shifted part of her attention to watching him actively, “Hello Captain Rogers. If you have a moment I would like to inquire about your experiences in this place. As you have inferred that you have been here for some time.” Did she override the subroutines for that room to drop the temperature? Yes, yes she did. Kicking up the AC to remind him of the cold he left her Boss in? The Icy tomb he fell in? Yes.

Was she vindictive?

Yes.
Marvel-MCU

237 Posts
10 Threads
Job: Rogue Superhero
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 751
Pinning a Fly

Steve had been sitting with Tony for… Too long. His everything was stiff and sore. He could use a trip to the restroom, a glass of water, something to eat, and… And he wasn’t even sure what else. He needed… A few minutes to stand and move. Something. The trip to the bathroom didn’t take him long at all, then he moved to the kitchen.

Which was cold.

Steve frowned at the temperature, doing what he could to ignore it. What would be next? Scalding water in his shower? Or… That earned a real shiver from Steve, the thought of the opposite. She wouldn’t do that, would she? He really hoped not. Still… “I’d be happy to talk about this place, Friday. Would you mind increasing the temperature a little bit?”

Quid pro quo, maybe. Of course, maybe not.

He moved to the fridge, opening it and looking inside, rooting around until he had the makings of a sandwich. Nothing fancy, but it would hold him over until supper. “I’ve been here for two weeks. I don’t know everything about it, but I have an understanding of it.”

“That’s not going away anytime soon.”
Marvel-MCU-1

94 Posts
4 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“My Apologies Captain Rogers, I am still working on accessing all the subroutines that the old AI here controlled; I will reroute some attention from monitoring the Boss, working on accessing the Amory, gathering information about this world, assimilating the tech differences, scanning for possible threats.” Her soft Irish brogue never changed, she wasn’t lying she WAS still integrating into the Tower, the Armory for instance was being particularly challenging. “To fix the AC.”

The fans notably silenced, the hermetically sealed Tower room would grow stifling quickly enough; “What is your understanding?”
Marvel-MCU

237 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Pinning a Fly

Steve’s head jerked up, and he shook it quickly, “No no, Friday, I’m sorry. Definitely don’t take any of your attention from Tony. He needs you looking after him.” Steve felt guilty, sure, the kitchen was cold, but he didn’t want to be a bother. It wasn’t all that cold in here, after all. He could handle it. “This isn’t a priority.” He tilted his head down, gently closing the fridge door to set up on the counter, starting to put a simple sandwich together. “Is he okay, Friday? Can you tell? If it’s a bother, I don’t…”

Frowning, he put the sandwich together quicker than he might otherwise do so. Usually, Steve was fairly meticulous, but right now he was distracted, and concerned. “I know you probably won’t believe me, Friday, but I do care. I don’t want him to be hurt, I want to see him well again. I know I was wrong. Before.”

He put what he wasn’t going to use back into the fridge before carrying the food to the table to eat. “Well, I know this isn’t the world I know. I was in Coney Island when… I don’t know exactly what happened, but one moment I was trying to take a shortcut behind one of the stands, and the next I was here. Well, not here, but in the Coney Island in our borough. Everything I’ve looked for I’ve found; my apartment in Brooklyn, the tower… Did you know it’s visible from atop the ferris wheel in Coney Island?” His voice was fond and just a touch distracted, “Not that you’d be able to see him flying around from there, but that doesn’t really stop you from looking…” He frowned, then shook his head, eating some of his sandwich before he continued. “The people here, some of them are really here, and some, I don’t think they are. And then there are people like Justin and us. From other places who just found themselves here. And people from places much more different than where we’re from. I met… Well, I met an elf. From a beautiful world. I’ve a painting… Well, that doesn’t matter, but he is from another world, Friday. Very different from ours.” Steve noticed that it wasn’t as cold, and smiled gratefully up toward the ceiling, “You didn’t have to worry about the temperature in here, Friday really. I’d rather not cause you any trouble. It’s kind of you and Justin to let me stay.” And when Tony woke up, well, if he told Steve to scram, then Steve would go. But he’d make sure that Tony had a way to reach him, because they were stuck in a strange world, after all. They might not be friends, but that didn’t mean they couldn’t stick together through whatever may come.

Marvel-MCU-1

94 Posts
4 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Sir’s vitals are on target for this stage of recovery, there are no indications he will waken in less than another four hours while the anesthetic used is processed by his system.” The apology/confession earned him some consideration; above where he was eating a live feed of Tony’s room appeared. As she had stated Tony Stark seemed to be resting comfortably; for that matter he was sleeping better than she’d observed him do since she’d been activated.

To bad it was because he was drugged.

“Yes. During the decent-” A nice word for them falling from the sky- “I logged over thirty different structural types, 80% were unidentifiable from my databases, of the remaining 20% half were off profile for what i have logged.” like this tower, close but no cigar as her creator would put it.

“Have you been able to return home?” She asked mentally crossing fingers, “What was the date when you...came here?”
Marvel-MCU

237 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Pinning a Fly

It was hard, admitting that he knew he was wrong. He needed to tell Tony that directly, he knew. Tony deserved that much. He was wrong. He should have told Tony about all of it, and he should have done so when he’d first learned. He should have listened to Tony about the Accords, trusted him. He should have asked Tony to come with him to Peggy’s funeral. People made mistakes, but Steve couldn’t help but to feel that his were… Insurmountable. Unforgivable. Friday showed him video of Tony resting peacefully, and some of the tension drained from Steve’s shoulders. Like Friday, Steve was glad to see that Tony seemed to be resting comfortably, sleeping well. And also like the AI, he regretted that it was because the man was sedated.

The descent. Steve winced, remembering seeing Iron Man falling from the sky. Again. His voice was thick and rough as he murmured, “I had hoped to never see that sight again.” He closed his eyes, and then nodded to what Friday was saying, “Every borough here is...different. And the middle is pretty unique, too. If you walk far enough, you’ll cross over to the next, and it’s radically different from what we have here. Beautiful, but foreign. Alien. I’m not sure how this place decides what and who appears, but I see people I recognize when I go on runs through this New York. People, and buildings. Like I’m back home, except that I’m not.”

Have you been able to return home. Steve picked up his now empty place, setting it carefully in the sink, shaking his head, “I haven’t even… Tried.” His voice was strained, “What would be the point?” He winced when she asked when he had come, “May 29th. I… I thought it a bit ironic, the date.”

Marvel-MCU-1

94 Posts
4 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“What year?” If her voice was softer, it still held a thread of almost cageyness to it. Friday had a theory she was 85% sure of...but she needed more data to bump that probability up into the 90s. “Why didn’t you go back?” she asked mentally processing his stress tells. The fans turned back on silently recirculating the air in the kitchen. “This Tower is also equipped with a Gym that can withstand your strength.” she murmured highlighting the elevator keypad.

Of course she was tipping her hand that she wasn’t as poorly integrated with the tower as she’d implied earlier, “Have you interacted with any of the...not people?” she questioned, ‘waking up’ the gym in anticipation of his arrival...assuming he took her hint.
Marvel-MCU

237 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Pinning a Fly

Steve closed his eyes, murmuring the answer, “2017.” He reached up to scrub the heels of his hands against his eyes, “Because what point was there?” The question was asked just a touch more harshly, but it was obvious that the irritation was turned inward, not at Friday. “What was there to go back to anymore?”

A not-home in Wakanda? Where he had people, yes, but they were all angry, and it wasn’t the familiar, familial atmosphere it had once been. He hadn’t just torn his own family apart when he’d fought against the Accords and for Bucky. He had separated Clint from his wife and children, taken Scott away from his daughter… He had interrupted their lives. Because he wanted to find and help Bucky. Because he didn’t want to be controlled by politicians. Because he hadn’t told Tony the damn truth about his parents.

A gym? She wanted him to go hit the heavy bag? It… Wasn’t such a bad idea. Get some of this pent up energy and frustration out. He sighed, then nodded, heading quietly toward the elevator. “I shouldn’t stay gone too long, though, Friday… And if he starts to wake up… Let me know? He shouldn’t wake up alone.” Or even with only Friday there. “No offense, you’re very pleasant company. And I’m still not sure mine should be the first face he sees when he wakes up…” Friday’s familiar voice might be preferable, after all. “Friday… What happened to you two before you showed up here? Was he… Was he hurt already? I don’t understand why you two fell.”

He was quiet as she spoke, riding the elevator down to the gym and letting her ask her questions. “I’ve had short conversations. They are… Pretty realistic, really. Not perfect, but they’re like people. And the others like us are… Interesting. I’ve talked to one or two of them, too.”

Marvel-MCU-1

94 Posts
4 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

And with that simple statement her hypothesis was confirmed, the only question now was if he was simply from a older time line or a whole different multiversal version of her universe. His self pity though grated on her. How often had she seen him or others pile on her creator to suck it up and talk to people instead of getting into his own head and making decisions for others?

Her aggravation meant that the elevator ride was nearly as fast as the one that had taken Tony down to the operating suite. “Apologies Captain Rogers.” she hummed sweetly, “The default controls seem to be set for a much faster ride than back home.” Keep an eye on him? Like she had any higher priority. “Mr. Stark shows no signs of coming near consciousness.” and he was really out of step if he didn’t think her creator wouldn't have even a slightly happy feeling to see him.

Sidestepping his question again, Friday illuminated the section of the Gym designated for super strength. “There are low intelligence sparing robots if you’d like more of a challenge.” She enunciated, taking the opportunity afforded by the rooms higher quality sensors to minutely examine him without his direct knowledge.
Marvel-MCU

237 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Pinning a Fly

Steve wasn’t trying to be irritating. And he wasn’t going for self-pity, though were Friday to point it out to him, he’d agree that maybe he did feel just a little bit bad for himself. But it was his own fault, and he knew that. He was aware, even if he were at a bit of a loss on how to make it right.

The speed of the elevator ride was certainly noticed, but Steve took it stoically. Friday was angry with him, he understood. It would worry him if things like temperatures being off in rooms he walked into didn’t happen. “Don’t worry about it, Friday. Nothing I can’t handle.” Nothing he didn’t earn, his tone said. “I understand. Just… If he does.” He let it go. Friday would or would not tell him if Tony were to start waking up earlier than expected. Steve figured a half hour at the bag, a quick shower, and then he could go back to his vigil and be there when Tony started stirring awake. Whatever that would bring for Steve.

Friday’s attempt to not give Steve an answer about what Tony and she had been doing was… Worrisome. What had Tony been doing that Friday didn’t want to admit to? He closed his eyes, “Okay, Friday. I won’t ask you again. I just…” He paused as a horrible thought occurred to him, “He wasn’t… Doing anything… I should worry about, was he? He’s… He was okay, wasn’t he?” He had seemed okay on the news…

Shaking his head, he moved to wrap his hands before going at it on the heavy bag, “No. Just hitting something solid is fine for now. Just trying to work through things. Helps me think.” Which really, Friday already knew.

While Steve might come off as alright, even calm, he wasn’t entirely so. He was wound up tight, worry and adrenaline and a sick feeling in his stomach ran right along with dread and guilt, keeping Steve keyed up. Steve released all of it to punish the bag, his hits hard and fast.

Marvel-MCU-1

94 Posts
4 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

The need to defend her creator warred with the truth, so she answered the only way she could. “He is no more a danger to himself than he ever has been.” She could have ignored his question, forced him to explicitly ask. But the fact that he had asked gained him some credibility.

Friday watched, measuring his hits against what her memory had for him, lining up data points.

“May I inquire as to your plan if Sir weakens with...not his full memory entact?” She asked.

Friday might be very advanced for an AI, even possessing something close to free will, but at the end of the day she was just a program, and there were limits to what functions she would perform.

Friday had no hands, no body, and while she could control the amors and mechs in the tower of the Boss didn't know her...Friday would be lost.
Marvel-MCU

237 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Pinning a Fly

Steve wasn’t hitting the bag with all the force he could muster, no. He was filled with turmoil, but he wasn’t angry, not really. He was worried, and he was upset, but he was trying to calm himself. Keep it together, not for himself, not for Friday, or even Justin. But Tony was hurt, waking up after surgery on his brain, in a strange (but not entirely strange) place. He needed Steve there, and he needed Steve to be strong. Even if it was just so that Tony could tear him apart. “That… Is less than the most comforting answer, Friday.” Steve hit the bag a few times, a flurry of blows, all harder than he had been. “Was he doing something that I’d be worried about if I knew what it was?” He wasn’t asking for specifics anymore. Friday was obviously unsure if she should tell him. He could wait. If Tony woke up with his memories, Steve would ask the man directly.

“May I inquire as to your plan if Sir weakens with...not his full memory intact?”

Steve’s blows slowed as he considered Friday’s question. It took him a few moments. “Medically, i will leave things to Dr. Halloway. I’m not a doctor, Friday, but if you’re asking if I’ll stay and help Tony… Yes, of course I will. How much help he’ll need will depend on how much he remembers, I suppose. But I’ll be here for him.” He was quiet for a moment before he spoke again, “And if he remembers everything, I’ll still be here for him. And if he wants, needs, to… It won’t matter, Friday. I’ll help him however I can. If he needs to be told his name, I’ll tell him. If he needs a whipping boy, I’ll be that. If he just needs a friend… I never wanted to not be that.”

Marvel-MCU-1

94 Posts
4 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Friday listened, weighing options, “Anything?” She asked wishing she had physical form to address him. Humans seemed to react differently when presented with an avatar. “If for instance Sir asked for your assistance o help end his life because he was in unending pain would you do so? And conversely would you donate your serum enhanced blood to him even if doing so would remove it from you?” Friday needed parameters, the problem was humans lied and even when they meant it at the time things changed.

“What if Sir awakens and tells you he needs Captain America as the figurehead of the Avengers again? And that he himself can no longer be Iron man?” Friday kept throwing out scenarios hoping to keep him off the true scent. “What if he demands James Barnes face the courts for his actions as the Winter Soldier?” Friday checked the tower again, verifying where each inhabitant was.

“What if he requires more care than a friend? How far will you go to keep him healthy and sane?”
Marvel-MCU

237 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Pinning a Fly

“Anything I can.” Steve was trying to be as honest as he could possibly be. With Friday, and with himself, too. He wasn’t one to lie, but omitting the truth was just as bad, and he had done that for too long. He wanted to be honest. Even if it would hurt him, or Tony. “I don’t know that I could do that, Friday… I wouldn’t… I wouldn’t blame him, or you, or anyone else for it, but I’m not sure I could make that call.” His throat was dry, so dry, and Steve had stopped hitting the heavy bag entirely when she’d asked that, fisted knuckles resting almost gently against the surface of it. “Yes. If it would keep Tony alive and sane and healthy, I would do that.”

He’d lived 19 years as a sickly boy, he could live for however much longer as one if need be.

Captain America. Steve flinched, but nodded, and when Friday mentioned Tony no longer being Iron Man, that hurt. It felt wrong. “Tony is Iron Man. He always will be, Friday, on or off the field.” Bucky in court… Steve winced, “I’d try to talk him out of it. I thought… Does he want that, Friday? Really? That was Hydra… Bucky was a victim as much as anyone else… He doesn’t realize that?” There was no anger or even judgement in Steve’s tone; he was tired, and he was spent when it came to that argument, but he couldn’t believe that even with time Tony couldn’t see that Bucky wasn’t to blame.

More care than a friend? Steve blinked and frowned, “Tony doesn’t have… Does Tony have family that I could find, Friday? I’d bring him whoever he needed, or wanted.” He pulled the tape from his hands, “Tony is important to me, Friday. You have to know that. I know you’re angry. I know you are. And I know I messed everything up. I should have told him about Bucky and his parents, I know I should have. With time, if he’d had time, he wouldn’t have… We could have left Siberia together, maybe. Tony’s always been reasonable, rational. But what happened doesn’t mean I care about him any less.”

Marvel-MCU-1

94 Posts
4 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

There was one(really two but she couldn't ask the one with out the other) question Friday needed to ask. The problem was that even verbalizing it would create ripples that could never be erased.

But there was one thing she could answer that should only serve to smooth waters. “In the month after the Accords were signed Mr. Stark had directed the retained lawyers of the Avengers branch of Stark Enterprises-” because yes there was a whole floor just to deal with the lawsuits, patents, copyrights and royalties that they accumulated and never paid attention to. “To move that James Barnes be cleared of charges relating to the Winter Soldier, Wanda Maximoff resident alien visa to exclude her ‘criminal’ activities as they were not criminal at the time of application, Steve Rogers, Clint Barton, Sam Wilson, and Scott Lang to retroactively be afforded the immunities listed in the accords once they agree to them.” The AI took a breath, “There will be hearings, but no Sir has done his best to ‘clean the slate’ if you will.” Legally at least. Emotionally? That was a different kettle of fish.

Family? “Sir has no living relatives or close friends beyond Ms. Potts, Mr. Hogan and the Avengers.”
Marvel-MCU

237 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Pinning a Fly

Steve went very, very still as Friday explained what Tony had done after he had arrived home from Siberia. Oh, Steve had been aware, if only peripherally, that Tony had people dedicated to taking care of the Avengers’... Issues. He had always tried to keep his nose clean for that reason, doing what little he really could to try to minimize the problems that arose because of him, because of the team. Still, hearing it called the Avengers branch of Stark Enterprises was just a little jarring.

Steve blinked, his posture improving even as his voice grew quiet, almost sounding awed, “He didn’t have to do that. He… He shouldn’t have done that.” Steve wasn’t entirely certain that anyone would even really appreciate it the way they should. He wasn’t sure he appreciated it enough, and he knew that it damn near took his breath away.

Tony was working to try to let them come home. All of them. Even him.

“We don’t deserve that sort of kindness, Friday.” Steve shook his head, “No. That’s not what I mean. What I mean is that I don’t. Scott and Clint deserve to be with their families. Wanda deserves to be with Vision if he’ll have her. Sam deserves to see his family, see the veterans he worked with. But I…” Steve had no family to return to, no loved ones aside from the Avengers themselves, and Bucky. There was little point in clearing him to come back. Unless Tony wanted, maybe, to at least try to work things out. Was that being too hopeful? Steve wasn’t sure. He’d love to think maybe it was possible, though.

Family. “Friday, if Tony needs someone else, I’ll find them for him. They might not be our Pe- Ms. Potts or Mr. Hogan or Rhodes, but they have to be here somewhere. If he needs someone that isn’t me, I will find them here for him.” There was a determination in his voice, “I’ve let him down enough for one lifetime. I won’t again if I can help it.”

Marvel-MCU-1

94 Posts
4 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Hundreds of millions of dollars had gone into the lawsuits, why? Because Tony Stark said ‘settle’, ‘give them what they need’ because he understood grief, loss, and he couldn’t give them back what had been taken but he could make sure they never wanted.

Because Tony Stark was a soft touch.

“I don’t think you ever really considered the Boss’s kindness.” her anger out on the table unmistakeable , no longer hidden behind saccharine sweetness and passive aggression. “Or that he has a heart at all.” if she were ‘real’ Friday’s eyes would be gleaming with passion. “You, the Avengers, none of you pay attention to the amount of time and effort he spends. SI has paid out almost half a billion in the past five years to settle lawsuits brought against the Avengers. Most of that money has come from what Sir affectionately calls his ‘Super hero slush fund’ or what his accountants call ‘Tony Stark's private accounts’.”

The AI had made an error, one that Steve thankfully had overlooked, attributing human Simple human forgetfulness to an artificial construct.

Friday wasn't going to point out the difference between their lists because that would lead to the questions she was avoiding.

“All Sir needs is a bloody friend Captain Rogers, one that would fight for him.”

Friday twisted the knife;

“So was I.”

Her creators broken whisper echoed out from the speakers.
Marvel-MCU

237 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Pinning a Fly

Steve had always been aware on some level that Tony took care of things financially for them (That he was fully cognizant of, actually. Growing up poor as Steve had makes you more aware of things like where your money came from.), but he also did realize that Tony took care of legal issues and made sure that damages were covered. Steve tried, he dedicated a portion of his free time to helping others, visiting hospitals, and the like. He closed his eyes, “No, Friday, you’re wrong there.” He sighed and moved to slide into a seat, “I never thought Tony was heartless. He is one of the kindest people I know. The others, I can’t speak for, no, but I’ve never forgotten that he offered me a home, not just shelter, but a place to come to, somewhere I could belong, when I had nothing.” Maybe he wasn’t grateful enough, but he wasn’t unaware. But Steve had no real savings to speak of.

With a sigh, Steve took the anger of the AI, he took that, and he accepted what she was saying. “I’m not saying that I’m in the clear, Friday. I know better than that. But I’m not unaware, either. I try not to make trouble, for him or for the Avengers as a whole. I might not always succeed, but I try.”

A friend that would fight for him. Steve winced at the wording, and was starting to look up toward the ceiling to reply when the words played over the speakers.

”So was I.”

If Friday were looking to see how quickly she could take Steve Rogers apart, well… It was just that fast. The blood drained from his face, and he found it impossible to swallow around the lump that formed in his throat. His eyes went entirely unfocused as an impossibly small, pained sound that could only be classified as a whimper found its way from him and his head dropped into his hands, his shoulders shaking.

He remained that way for a few seconds, needing the time to try to gather himself again enough to even speak, and when he did, his voice was quiet, an apology around his words, “I’ll find Colonel Rhodes. That… That’s who he’d want.”

When there was no response, Steve tried, he really did try, to wait out the AI. But Steve was human, and Friday was not. After a few minutes, Steve stood up and walked to the elevator, pressing the button to take him down to the lobby. And then, considering what had happened the last time he'd ridden this very elevator, Steve stepped away from it, shaking his head, "Nevermind the elevator, Friday. It would still be broken. I'll just take the stairs down." He paused, then glanced upward, "Unless there's something else we need to discuss."

Marvel-MCU-1

94 Posts
4 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Well he was contrite at least.

Friday watched Captain America, veteran of a world war break down with the impassive coldness only an AI could achieve.

Only to feel sudden dread when he made his declaration, “perhaps you should wait till we know how much Mr. Stark remembers.” She hedged suddenly cagey.

Yes Rhodey would be a comfort...depending on his state of mind.

The dry heaving breaths, a step from sobs echoed through the gym and Friday watched quietly till he was done.

“Does this mean you are or are not his friend?”
Marvel-MCU

237 Posts
10 Threads
Nyte

Pinning a Fly

Of course Steve was contrite. He knew that he was only human. He might have forgotten it for a little bit there, but he had always known that. And he knew, very well right now, that he had made some very terrible mistakes. Mistakes that had hurt people he cared about.

Yes, Steve broke down. It wasn’t loud; it was a quiet, dry affair, and it didn’t last long before Steve forced himself to calm back down. This was neither the time nor the place for this. He could break down later, when he was alone. Whenever that was.

Wait until they knew how much… “You said he needed him!” Steve’s head snapped up to the ceiling, frowning, and looking just a little bit annoyed. Right now, he looked more like the Steve Rogers Friday had known before the ‘war’ that had torn the Avengers apart. “You said, exactly, that he needed a friend, one that would fight for him! And Colonel Rhodes would!”

Friday’s question took him off guard, though, and he stopped, blinking up at the ceiling, “I’ll always be his friend, Friday,” he sighed, “But I’m not sure he feels the same. I don’t think it’ll be my face he’ll want to see when he wakes up. I’m…” Steve slumped where he sat, “I’m pretty sure seeing me will only upset him. And no, I don’t want that. I don’t like it, but I’d rather him have someone who makes him feel safe, Friday.”