Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: 616 Tony StarkDrown Your Sorrows
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 435
Tony grimaced. “Does it matter?” Technically, it hadn't been Steve, who had been in pretty bad shape at the time himself. But he had appeared at Tony's beside not long after to castigate him for what he'd done.

He supposed, distantly, that he should feel more resentful about the gun to the head thing, but his life really didn't matter all that much to him these days. Especially now that the emotion of the moment had fled, leaving behind exhaustion and the almost pleasant numbness of the alcohol. The only real feeling he could muster was that Safi had to be in a lot of pain to have said any of that.

So he should his head at Safi's leer. “Tell me. What's got you so fucked.”

@kel
DC-TV-1

378 Posts
9 Threads
Job: Bodygaurd
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,579
“I asked didn’t I? So it fucking matters.”

Safi rolled his head to gaze at Tony disbelievingly; what the everloving shit fuck. “Look. You don’t give a flying fuck about my problems. Me? I’m just that piece of ass that looks like the guy you can’t have.” Safi took another drag, “my problems?” He grinned humorlessly “Don’t fucking matter.”

@starkly
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony snorted softly, but Safi's response to his question had sent an unexpected jolt of self-hatred through him. Safi had been nothing but kind and understanding about all of Tony's problems--well, except for the last ten minutes which Tony really couldn't blame him for--and Tony had returned the favor by by being such a selfish bastard Safi couldn't even imagine he'd care.

“EMTs,” he answered shortly. “Now, it's your turn. ‘S only fair. And don't tell me it doesn't fucking matter.” He smiled and gestured vaguely with the bottle still in his hand. “I'm asking aren't I?”

@kel
DC-TV-1

378 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“HA!” The short barked out laugh acknowledged Tony turning his words back on him there was just one problem- “If I told you i’d have to kill you.” it could have been a joke...except the complete lack of any emotion in his voice.

@starkly
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony hesitated at the threat, then burst into laughter. “I think we're a little past that, aren't we?” He said, sounding genuinely amused. “I mean, you've already shoved your loaded gun in my face and told me to shoot, not to mention, established that I don't give much of a flying fuck myself if I live or die.” His expression softened, and he took another long drink from the bottle, because this was not a conversation he wanted to accientally sober up for. “Tell me. Chances are I won't remember any of it in the morning, anyway, and i--i do care. Okay? I do.”

@kel
DC-TV-1

378 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

The thing was Safi wasn’t kidding; he was literally under orders NOT to talk to ANYONE about his mission on pain of death. Safi scrubbed his face “I was reactivated.” drawing out the words, forcing them past every screaming instinct. “And he doesn’t know.”

@starkly
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

“Reactivated,” Tony repeated. “To do what, exactly?” He knew a little of what Safi's old job entailed, but not enough that he could really understand what had Safi drinking and smoking on the roof. He put his hand on Safi's shoulder and gripped lightly, his brow furrowing as he realized what the rest of Safi's words really meant. “Chris. You mean Chris. You and him are… it's not so one sided, is it.”
@kel
DC-TV-1

378 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Well look at that, he was a genius after all wasn’t he? Safi was...actually impressed, drunk off his ass and it only took Tony two sentences to figure out the shape of things. “To watch, report and-” Safi took a long drag, “Neutralize.” His lips twitched. “Doesn’t matter if it is. It can’t.”
@starkly
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

“Nothing you haven't done before,” Tony said. Partly, he really couldn't see what the problem was--not that he could be an assassin himself, but to Safi it had always seemed to be just a job. He also had a feeling he learn more from Safi needing to contradict him than be asking directly. He resisted the urge to be visibly pleased with himself for thinking of it, considering how shitfaced he was.

As for the rest… Well, that was an area Tony had another experience with. “Can't what? Can't work?”
@kel
DC-TV-1

378 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“There’s a difference.” He has been a *soldier* damn it, yes he killed, hell he’d even done the honey traps when absolutely necessary but he wasn’t a fucking assassin! He did it for his country, his people, hell one of the reasons he’d turned down the offer from the Mossad was how easily they blurred the lines.

Like- “it can’t ANYTHING!” He snarled stubbing out the cig on his heel, “Because the second it does-“ safi laughed, “he’s dead, I’m dead. And if I’m lucky that’s all.”

@starkly
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

“What's the difference? Who's behind this?” Tony demanded. Safi's words suggested this was more than hesitation at going back in. No, this had to be coercion. Tony might've been drunk, but he was still an Avenger, still Director of SHIELD, and he'd never been able to sit idly by while someone saw their life or their loved ones threatened. Even if he was more than a little surprised at who those loved ones were. He met Safi’s eyes determinedly. “Whoever it is, I can protect you. I can protect him. I can help you stop this.”

@kel
DC-TV-1

378 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“No.” Safi’s lips twisted “No you can’t. Not your world not your country not your damn universe.” And- “And I’m less than my people.” Tony probably could topple the government if he really put his mind to it and unleashed the suits in some kinda swarm. But that? That would destroy everything he had fought for, had sworn to die for. And...yes he would even sacrifice Chris along with him if the choice was between them or the downfall of his people.

@starkly
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

“So, what, then?” Tony asked, feeling vaguely like he was going to get whiplash from this conversation. He found it hard to care. “You do this or else what? It's the end for your people? Somehow i doubt that. Anyway, I mean, you can trust me, I know a thing or two about sacrificing everything you love for the greater good but you know what? It's not--” his voice cracked and he took another swig because the not-feeling that came along with it was great, “it's not worth it.”

He was thinking about Steve again but that was no good, so he shifted his hand from Safi’s shoulder to cup the side of his neck gently. He felt dizzy. “You need help, you got it. You need someone to fuck or punch or feed the barrel of your gun to, I'm here. You're not him, and, God I wish you were, but you're a good person and I like you and you've been better to me than anyone else I know. So, uh. That's it. Your call.”
@kel
DC-TV-1

378 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Iron Man can’t make this right. There’s no one to shoot or blow up, there’s no monster or evil robot.” Safi flicked the ash from his shoe. “I do this or they assume I’m compromised and kill him anyway.” He stated calmly. “And ‘best’ case I spend a few months getting ‘debriefed’-“ his fingers danced out, “worst and they cut out the middle man and put a bullet in my brain pan.” Safi smiled humorlessly at the heavy steel weapon that had made its way back I to his grip. “I’d cut out the middle man but-“ safi shrugged “that’s not gonna help either.”

Blue eyes glanced up at Tony a weird little smile playing at the corner of his mouth, “it is.” He said quietly “Governments make mistakes, because people make mistakes. But as long as the trend is towards good-“ safi gave a half little shrug. “That’s what I swore to defend, to die for and-“ he chuckled “I’m still willing do lay down for that cause even if they make a stupid and worthless mistake.”

“Because they are my people my country, my race, they are my land.”

Safi took a breath; “And I’d kill you, let Chris die-“ his voice hitched. “To protect that.”

@starkly
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

“I didn't say anything about blowing anyone up,” Tony felt compelled to point out, even if that was obviously not Safi's teal problem with his offer. “I'm powerful. One of the most powerful people in my world, believe it or not. I could protect you. I could protect you both.” He broke off, imagining for a moment bringing Safi to SHIELD, how everyone's eyes would light up until they realized who he wasn't, all the questions, all the doubts. It wouldn't matter. Tony would do what he had to do. His reputation could take the hit, because it was in the gutter already.

“But I get it,” he went on, drawling the words and taking another swig of the vodka. He could barely even feel the alcohol sliding down his throat anymore. That was good. “It's not about that. It's about...duty, or loyalty or some shit. I don't care. What I'm also saying is, is that, if you're gonna do what you're gonna do, you can use me. However you need. Get yourself through it. You don't think I care but I do, even though youre not him, and I...I owe you.” He blinked, then, some of Safi's earlier words percolating through the haze. “Wait, why. Why can't you tell Chrisian? Not the, uh, the love part. The assassin part.”
@kel
DC-TV-1

378 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Oh. Safi blinked finally understanding what Tony was offering; “You are offering us...asylum.” he blinked again at the offer. It wasn’t the first time Tony had offered him a ‘job’ in his home universe it WAS however the first time Safi actually spent time considering it.

“Huh.” his head thunked lightly on the wall a pensive expression lurking around his mouth, “They...most likely wouldn’t care...not if we move to a whole other universe, even for institutional paranoia that's to much for just one mage and a ageing soldier.” There wasn’t grey in his hair...yet he wasn’t young any more and he had his share of scars...hell his retirement was on medical grounds. (Even if the last year or so he’d been...well he’d been feeling younger and fitter than he’d felt since before- yeah that.) “My family would be safe...just never see them again.” And that was a sacrifice did not WANT to make...but if he was dead he wouldn’t see his daughter again anyway.

Safi’s hand thumped out to wack Tony’s shoulder companionably; “I like you. A lot.” He smiled honest and almost shyly open. “You are a good man Tony Stark. Just wish I was what you needed to get over him.”

Which broke into a dry chuckle, “Really? And what would that do? You DO understand that i’m not 100% sure they can’t tell i’ve told YOU. it's fucking magic Tony, they KNOW shit I do. They know who i’ve been around with out my telling them.” and that- “And Chris can’t lie for shit.”
@starkly
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

It was Tony's turn to blink. “Asylum. Yes. Of course. Your government wants to kill you. What did you think, I was going to declare war on a foreign nation in some other universe?” He laughed. “I've been the Secretary of Defense. During a war. I'm not an idiot.” He sighed, and touched Safi’s arm lightly in response to the shoulder pat. “Look, I'm well past pickled and so are you, but the offer’s gonna stand. You wouldn't owe me anything. You or Chris. You could work for me, or for SHIELD, if you wanted...or not. Whatever. Makes no difference to me. And you could bring your family. I might as well use all this power for something good.”

Safi's next words made him look away. “I like you too. And I'm sorry. You've been…more than...good. To me.” He fumbled the words, his lowered inhibitions making him add, “I thought, I mean, for a while there I thought you could be, you’re so good to me.” He kept talking, wanting to change the subject before he accidentally admitted anything else, “So, if they're watching, think about it. Fast. And what good, well, I'm no expert but maybe if you told him half of what you're thinking you wouldn't’ve been up here getting fucked up and getting me fucked up. He's your friend isn't he? God, forget this, he's in love with you and you apparently feel the same way so maybe if you're going to tell him something, start with that. Ah. Anyway.”

He broke off, realizing he'd probably said too much, and took another drink because at least then he wouldn't have to feel bad about it.
@kel
DC-TV-1

378 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Safi barked out a laugh, actually grinning with something between true and gallows humor; “Actually yes.” He chuckled, “Sorry in my experience Masks don't have have many more nuanced responses besides ‘shoot it’.”

His expression turned serious; “No...they aren’t not yet. You’ve been SOD? Made the hard calls to eliminate threats before they become terminal.” he was still loyal, he still loved his people, still believed for all their faults his government meant well. It wasn’t misplaced loyalty, not in his mind, because he’d SEEN, had to clean up after rogue mages. Fear mixed with hate slithered across his face; he’d also seen the ‘puppets’ of good men taken.

“I’ve never been on this side of it but it IS SOP and-” Safi scrubbed his face, “I lead one of the teams that would execute that policy.” Safi met Tony’s gaze calmly, “Can you imagine this from their side? It’s fucking worst case. Hell its balanced between a ‘good’ and ‘bad’ thing that it IS me. If it had just been Chris portaling into a new universe-” Safi sighed, “On the flip side, the professional parinoids can’t help think how convenient it is for a known mage to just so happen to be living with a ex-unit commander.” Safi chuckled. “Even they know it can’t be both...which is why they are watching...and making damn sure I know what’s riding on keeping everything on the up and up.”

The smile slipped off his face, “And that’s also why I can’t tell Chris about any of this. I don’t know what he’d do. He doesn’t-” Safi shook his head, “he’s still innocent in a lot of ways, and this is a very complex threat environment. And-” he rubbed a thumb over his jaw line, “That doesn’t even go into the fact that i am really NOT ready to be with someone.”

Safi’s eyes narrowed, “Lord. Look. Just because someone is ‘nice’ doesn't make them the one, or even mr. right now-” ok so he really WAS drunk and mixing metaphors in his THIRD language was gonna happen.

He looped an arm around Tony’s shoulder dragging him into a hot kiss. “I’m gonna be around-” Lines around his eyes deepened in gallows humor, “Until i can’t be. So who knows maybe we can split you into working again.” The second kiss was softer. “You are a good man Tony and maybe in another-” Safi JUST BARELY managed to cut himself off before his drunk mouth ran off any further and broke the poor guy’s heart.

Because in another universe a guy who looked like him had already broken Tony Stark, hadn’t he.

@starkly
Marvel-616

287 Posts
9 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony couldn't help but laugh in response to Safi's laugh. "Wow. Uh, yeah. SOD. Impossible problems wrapped in bureaucracy and too many lives on the line." Not that different from SHIELD, really, except that--probably thanks to Fury--there was a hell of a lot less red tape surrounding everything when you were sitting in the Director's chair. "Worst job I ever had, and that's saying something."

His expression deepened into a scowl as Safi went on. He understood it, he did, but that didn't meant he liked a damn thing Safi was saying. This was exactly the kind of thing he'd stamp out in a second if someone at SHIELD even breathed a hint of it.

"It's wrong," he said decidedly, the alcohol giving him a certainty he might not have had otherwise. "It's wrong, letting them fuck up your life like that. You have a family. You have a...a...Chris." He wasn't jealous, he wasn't, because that would be ridiculous. "Come back with me. Start over there. Take all the time you need."

Then Safi was talking about him and Tony narrowed his eyes, because he sure as hell didn't need advice from Safi right now. He knew "nice" mean fuck all, when it really came down to it, but it had been so long since anyone had even given him that much. He'd needed it. He'd needed Safi. (Maybe he still did. He tried not to think about that.) He sunk into the kiss, closing his eyes and deepening it.

Then Safi said--that--and Tony pulled away, a slightly delirious laugh crawling up his throat. Safi had started the night trying to hurt him, but somehow...this was the worst thing he'd said all night. "In another life. Another universe. Yeah. Of course." The laughter was turning into an absurd desire to cry so he kissed Safi again, pulling him close so he wouldn't see. He murmured against Safi's beard, "We're here now. That's all that matters."
DC-TV-1

378 Posts
9 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“It’s wrong.” he agreed, “But-” Safi shrugged looking up at the stars peeking out from the artificial city light haze. “I’d give my life for my country, my people. If I thought they were even a little bit right about Chris..-” his shoulder lifted again eloquently. “I’d put the bullet in my brainpan myself than become what they are afraid of.” But Chris would never do that. Become that man. Someone Safi would have to fear, someone that he would look and choke back horror to see as threat.

Safi fucked up.

He’d said words that could only hurt.

So he made it up to Tony the only way he knew how; slowly lowering the other man to the rooftop, sliding his lips down his jaw, sucking soft bruises into his skin, lapping the coarse texture of his stubble. “And I never forget.” Safi muttered fingers sliding Tony’s t-shirt off. “You are a good man.” he murmured. “Kind. Strong. Caring.” Each word was punctuated by a softly passion filled kiss. “Worthy. Brave.” He continued on, praising Tony, each word filled with sincerity. Because at the end of the day- “You are important to me.” Safi smiled crookedly, “You compromised me too Tony Stark.” he would defend this man who didn’t need a bodyguard and had fought creatures greater than he could imagine. But Safi would defend his heart, his soul and yes his body for as long as he had breath.

Because he saw who he really was. And Safi loved that man just a little bit.

@starkly