Marvel-Xmen comics-1

135 Posts
5 Threads
Job: Thief/Scout/Scoundrel
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,465
Jaya had met Henri, the two had talked, and then Jaya had come to Remy. It wasn't, of course, exactly that simple, but Those were the basics.

Jaya worried she had made a poor first impression on his brother. Remy worried that Henri would forbid Remy to keep seeing the Orion. Henri could, as acting Patriarch, do that. And Remy could resign his membership. Thing was, Remy didn't want that to happen. As strongly as he felt about Jaya, the Guild was his family, and his family was the Guild. It had been this way since his Pere had taken him in. The two were interconnected so tightly, and Remy was loathe to try to separate himself from either, or lose both.

Still.

Forcing back the desire to turn away and pretend things were fine, Remy raised his hand and rapped at the door to his brother’s office.
Marvel-Movies-1

59 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Ship Status: Married
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,681
“Not there.” The Ghost of Tante Marie passed by nodding her head towards the kitchen before continuing on wards.

Henri had duties, work, yet when he was stressed one would find him most often in the kitchen...and since the children were on another planet he was working on his second bottle of wine while tending a double boiler.
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

135 Posts
5 Threads
Nyte

There was more reason Remy had avoided moving into the LeBeau mansion on this side of the portal. He had been honest that he did feel it was very nearly a breach of his exile, but more than that, it was the hurt.

Coming here, seeing the echoes of the people he loved the most, it ached deep in his chest. The sound of Tante Matti’s voice earned a start (It wasn't a flinch. It wasn't.) but Remy obediently looked to where she nodded and sighed.

Of course it would be the kitchen.

Remy did hesitate this time, not because of Henri, but because of the room. Because of the memories it stirred in him. Then he poked his head in and asked, “Frere?”
Marvel-Movies-1

59 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

For Henri the echoes were comforting, he understood(or at least thought he did) that they were just as real as believed, which made it easier to both keep them separated and still value them like the originals.

“Bon.” Henri pulled his spoon out, flicking strands onto paper, creating an abstract design. The smells of warm bread mixed with chocolate and spice of rice, peppers and sausage mix on the stove. “Hungry?”
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

135 Posts
5 Threads
Nyte

Spend a decade knowing the ghosts were the only version of those you loved that you were ever going to see again, and your view changed. Not that Remy hadn't snuck back to this place to steal cookies from the kitchen, or hear Pere talking distractedly on the phone.

Remy paused at his brother's greeting, blinking before he looked over to the food that Henri had put together. His expression said that no, Remy was oddly not hungry. But he nodded nonetheless, unable to turn down a full belly of good, warm food. “Sure, t’ank yo’, Frere.”

Henri had to know why Remy had come, but if he wanted to do this, well…. Remy could talk over a meal.
Marvel-Movies-1

59 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

He wanted to talk over food. Food had long ago bonded the two brothers, from when Henri would find and refill Remy’s stashes understanding even as a child that his new little brother needed them to feel safe, to tormenting his brother with the deserts Henri loved to make and Remy found too sweet.

Food reminded them both that there was no blood between them, but they were brothers.

Or at least that was how Henri felt.

Finishing his chocolate decorations, Henri filled two plates with jambalaya setting them down along with an extra wine glass for his little brother.

“And?” It was an opening, Henri had offered an open hand it was now to see how his brother wanted to respond.
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

135 Posts
5 Threads
Nyte

They shared no blood, but they were brothers. They shared a bond. Remy had missed Henri, had moved on in the time since coming to Hub, but had never stopped being his brother.

He watched Henri decorate, shaking his head as he did, but it was with fondness, not disagreement.

And. “Yo’ met wit’ Jaya.” The words were quietly spoken, but sure. “She worries dat she made a bad impression.”
Marvel-Movies-1

59 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“She made an impression.” Heri agreed, bad...he shook his head, “I am worried but no about her directly.” Had she confessed? “I believe she cares about you, but-“ he sighed, “I fear for de Guild.” He admitted.
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

135 Posts
5 Threads
Nyte

An impression, but Henri didn't reassure him. Remy nodded slowly. Not about her directly. Watching his brother, Remy understood Henri’s concern, “De Orions.” He considered, “Dey do no know where de portal es. De Guild es safe.” The family was safe. He looked down at his food at Henri’s words of Jaya’s feelings, buying himself time before answering by taking a bite of the jambalaya. “She say she loves me.” His tone was almost too flat. He'd heard that before, not that he felt that she had been lying, but…. “How do we protect de Guild, frere?”
Marvel-Movies-1

59 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Yo’ wife will.” Henri stated clearly, because if Remy took the woman as his bride Henri would not keep secrets from her that he wouldn’t from any other spouse. “An’ dere Es enough magic an’ technology here dat they could make a new one if they wanted.” He pointed out logically.

“Yes. An’ yo’ feel the same.” Henri kept his tone calm, even. “T’protect the Guild es to sell yo’ again, an even than dere is only danger.” Henri sipped his wine. “An’ Pere swore t’me dat yo would never be used in an alliance again, no matter de price.”
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

135 Posts
5 Threads
Nyte

Wife? Remy frowned, “Henri…” it wasn't just that he wasn't certain either of them were ready (or interested) in such an arrangement, but that he wasn't sure it was possible. Jaya had said as much to him when she had come to him after her meeting with his brother. “Et es no a simple t’ing…. T’marry, she would need permission…”

And there was the fact that he wasn't certain she would want to, not if it were a real option…
Marvel-Movies-1

59 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“I know. An’ she made it clear that the price her people would demand is a full alliance.” Henri leaned back, eyes darkening, “An’ I know yo’, dat anythin’ less den de bond of matrimony would eat at yo’ over de years.”
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

135 Posts
5 Threads
Nyte

A full alliance. Jaya had mentioned something similar to him; that the Syndicate wouldn’t allow him to court and marry her unless there was one, or at least the promise of one. “Dere could be other ways t’ensure de safety o’ de Guild, Henri.” The words were spoken with careful neutrality; it wasn’t that Remy didn’t want what Henri was pointing at, it was… He wouldn’t leverage the Guild, his family, their safety, for his happiness. He wouldn’t push his brother into a deal or an alliance he didn’t want because Remy wanted to be with Jaya. Remy would admit that he was often a selfish man, but not on this level, not when there was so much on the line.

He arched a brow at his brother, fists clenching around his fork and knife before relaxing into a proper hold again. He took another bite of the jambalaya, and then another. “No’ if et es no what she wants.” He spoke between bites, then took a drink of water, “I wan’ a partner, Henri,” like his brother had found, “No’ jus’ a pretty wife.” Jaya might be such a partner, but only if she agreed, only if it was what she wanted… Otherwise, it was just another lie.
Marvel-Movies-1

59 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Dere es no argument on dis.” He didn’t want his brother to feel anything other than the satisfaction of having a woman who he could depend on. “Es dere?” Henri quirked the corner of his mouth up, “Dere es danger all around us, dis es jus’ de first of many tests de Guild mus’ overcome in dis new world.” Henri sighed, “De impression I have is she would want dis too, but for her peoples rules.” Henri swirled the wine in his glass, “Es disapointing t’me dat she would no come t’us fo’ love of yo’ but es understandable.”
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

135 Posts
5 Threads
Nyte

“Dere es danger all around us back home, too.” In the forms of assassins, mutants, sentinels, and various other forms and manifestations. Hub turned that up a notch or six, but it wasn’t untrue at home. He chuckled at his brother’s words, “If dis how we solve our problems, dere es an issue,” he smiled as much with his red and black eyes as with his lips, “Dere es only two o’ us t’marry, an’ yo’ already have a wife. We do dis, an’ neither o’ us can do et again.”

Henri thought that Jaya would want this. Well, Jaya seemed to think she wanted it, too… But that didn’t mean that desire would last a lifetime. “She says she loves me.” He fiddled with his fork, twisting it through his pasta, “But so did Bella Donna.” He looked up, “Yo’ t’ink her people would agree?”
Marvel-Movies-1

59 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Oui, an’ if de worst happens here those same dangers we mus’ turn t’for protection. No just fo’ our little guild.” Because Henri understood verssially now that he not just the gatekeeper for his family, but for his whole world. “Yo see dat no? Dat we can no win a war, an even if the forces of our world came t’gether…” Henri killed his wine. “I do no know we would win.” We here being the human(and mutant) races.

“I told yo’ Pere has sworn dat yo’ are no more t’be used for alliance-” Henri chuckled, “even if at de time we only thought of our world, an’ dat was a far chance.” Because of his exile. “Dere is more en yo’ an’ I.” He reminded his brother of the niece and nephew he’d never met.

Did Henri want to do that to his children? No. But it was a price both he and their uncle had paid. Even if his own marriage was a happy one and the Remy’s had not lasted the night.

“An’ Bella still does.” Henri commented mildly, “I am no looking forward to her reaction t’de news-” Henri’s eyebrow rose, “Yo know dat if dis happens she will be dere? Front and center at de Chapel.”

Henri shook his head, “Yes an no. I t’ink dey will do this, but I am no sure we can pay the price dey demand.”
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

135 Posts
5 Threads
Nyte

The world. Yeah, there was that little piece of truth that Remy had been carefully and steadfastly avoiding. Because he didn’t want that kind of responsibility. He didn’t want to lay the world at his family’s feet. For once, Remy wasn’t drinking wine, not even with dinner. He wanted to stay coherent, to be clear headed for this conversation. It was important to him. “Oui, I see et, Frere.” He just didn’t like it. “I been here for over ten years, Henri, an’ I haven’ ever seen what yo’ describe.” No one had ever attempted to take over another world, or even a part of it.

Yet.

He knew it could happen. Or at least that someone might try, but it had yet to happen. “I’m not saying et won’ happen, but dat et hasn’t yet.” Not with their world, or anywhere else. His face hardened slightly at Henri’s words; he didn't speak, but his face and eyes said it all: let the children marry for love. At least let them have time. Seventeen was too young.

The snort was one of disbelief at the idea the Bella still loved him. Or maybe ever had. “Frere…. if she loves me, den why don’ she try t’bring me home?” If it happened…. “Non, Henri. Et would have t’be done here. I canno’ go home, an’ she don’ know about dis place…” unless she did…. He met his brother’s eyes, “We will keep de Guild safe, Henri,” by marriage or another way. The Guild, their family, the world would be safe. “I have contacts here. I will reach out t’dem, see what we can procure t’keep de peace.”
Marvel-Movies-1

59 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Henri rubbed his eyebrow, the last thing he wanted coming here to Hub was to disturb the life Remy had created. Yet it seemed that he was not destined to bring peace to his little brother. This was why Henri was fighting so very hard to find a Path that lead to what Remy wanted.

Remy had paid for his family already, it was time the family footed the bill for what he desired.

Henri was worried though that this would be a price his Guild could not pay.

“I t’ink es a good idea t’investgate those option, if no for dis den for later.” Henri sighed. “Pere Said dis was no vacation but I t’ink he no expected it t’be dis dramatic so quickly.”

Belladonna…

“She only came d’de Queen dis last few years.” He told Remy, “an’ she could no make de first judgement t’undo what was done by her father.” He defended the Queen of assassins, he knew she was a hard woman but he also did believe she loved his little brother as she was able to.

As to a possible wedding..”Non. Yo’ will be married in our Chapel, and Belladonna will no say a word because you are no on New Orleans soil for dis time.” He would bargain and use his cunning tongue for that opening. If Remy married again it would be among his family.
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

135 Posts
5 Threads
Nyte

After being exiled from his home, his Guild, Remy had come to Hub and had worked to begin to restart a new life, to make new connections and friends, to find his way in a new place with different rules. A new reality. And he had, in truth, thrived. Remy had found ways to make money; new places and ways to steal what he needed, contacts to deal in information, and how to smuggle goods from one world to another, to Hub, to home. There were rules, and there were limits, but Remy had learned them, and in some cases, learned how to circumvent them. He was doing well, but he had never really expected to live his life out in peace.

Investigate his options. Remy nodded wordlessly, instead opting to enjoy a few more bites of his meal, to sip at his water, buying himself time while he considered what that reply meant.

And since when had their relationship become this? Less brothers talking about the women in their lives and more two men discussing business. He didn’t sigh, but the desire to was telegraphed in the set of his shoulders, the hesitation in his motions, the way he didn’t look up and over to Henri. There were things Remy thought but didn’t say. Like that before Henri had come to Hub, Remy hadn’t had to ask permission to be with Jaya. Like that this relationship hadn’t needed to be political, but now it was.

Henri commented on Bella Donna coming to the wedding, on the wedding happening in the LeBeau chapel, and Remy went still and silent. He didn’t know that, even if she agreed to marry him, even if she wanted to and the Syndicate allowed it, that Jaya would want to marry him there. He hadn’t ever expected to go home, especially not for the occasion of his wedding, and truth be told, Hub had long since become his home. But this was Henri, and not only was Henri his big brother, but he was his acting Patriarch as well. If his frere said that Remy would only be wed in their chapel, then that was that. Still. “Tell me, Frere, she love me so much, when was de last time she asked after me?” Red on black eyes looked up finally to meet his brother’s blue ones, his mouth not quite set into a scowl, “When was de last time she spoke dis t’ief’s name dat wasn’ a curse?” Somehow, he deeply doubted it was in the last ten years. “How many tears she shed fo’ me last time yo’ saw her?” He arched a brow, “O’ do she deign t’look at any o’ us at all?” Her betrayal had hurt more than Julian’s challenge; he hadn’t wanted to kill the assassin, he had tried to end the duel at first blood, and yet, Julian had insisted, had refused to let up. What choice had Remy had? And yet, Bella, who supposedly loved him so well, hadn’t so much as spoken a word to save him from his fate, had immediately annulled the wedding, had cut ties with him, and had cruelly left him to his solitary life.

Fine. But he didn’t want to hear how she loved him. He didn’t want to be told that she would insist on being there when he married again. She had left him, not the other way around!
Marvel-Movies-1

59 Posts
5 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

They were no longer children, the responsibility of age and power meant that they could not go drinking, fucking, and playing the games of young men. Remy was Not wrong, he had had freedom here in Hub until Henri arrived but he’d paid for that freedom with the loss of his family. Family unfortunately meant complications in any man’s life, their family just meant things were often more complicated than most.

“When de Queen ask or when Bella ask? Es no the same question.” Henri sighed moving to his feet as the timer on his next tier beeped. “Bella asks if yo alive every year.” If Not him than Mercy “De Queen only asks that de murder es no returning.” Henri shook his head reading his brothers pain; Remy was a man of black and white: if Bella loved him than she would have joined him in his exile or spoken for him. He did however let the topic drop, he already had enough issues right now he didn’t need to take on Bella’s defense as well.

“So. The ball is in her court. An’ yours.” Henri lifted the second cooled tier down, upending the saucepan of mirror finished ganache, letting the excess filter through the grated bottom. “De Guild es willing t’pay a bride price t’her people, along with de gems an’ art she would receive as yo’ wife from Pere an’ I. De line es full alliance an’ access t’ our world. Yo’ will marry in de Lebeau chappel, under de eyes of god an’ if her people need another ceremony dat es clear.” Henri sighed.

“I want you to be happy little brother. If I am hard...it es because I want dis for you if you want it. An’-“ he turned to face his brother “I love you. You es my peitie fere an’-“ Henri leaned down to touch his forehead to his brothers. “Dat es my goal.”