The Man who Cheated Death
Marvel-TRN533

5 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status: Widowed
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Soapy

This was a feeling Matthew had felt before. Nothingness, like he had simply ceased to be. He floated in that nothingness, feeling himself stretched out over everything. He might have sighed if he had lungs, might have slumped his shoulders if he had any to move. Yet as he floated he could feel everything. The molecules, the flow of everything from time to life itself. He stood outside it all... But he didn't want to be there. How hard would it be to leave this place?

He let his consciousness stretch toward the first cluster of molecules he could find, feeling how they interacted with everything around them, revealing to him the entire world in which they resided. And with that, he willed the molecules to come together...

And suddenly he drew a ragged breath, his eyes flying open to see the sky above him. Sitting up, his muscles moving roughly as they continued to reform, he looked down at the shredded and damaged skin that wove itself over his body. It was far from a pleasant sight to see, but he'd take it over floating in that nothingness again. He drew several more breaths, savoring how it felt to have lungs again, before he dragged himself to his feet. Holding one arm against his chest as though it were broken, he looked around himself. It didn't look like Charleston, but... Had he wound up in a different city?
Goblin-TV Series

14 Posts
2 Threads
Job: Grim Reaper
Ship Status: Depressingly Single
Sexual Orientation: Demi Pansexual
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,188
Death. People everywhere viewed death differently. Some saw it as an ending. Some called it a beginning. There were those who personified death. They were all wrong, and all right.

Death was and ending and a beginning... Part of a cycle. A necessity. She was a lovely woman and a taskmaster of a man. There were very few who could cheat Death, not when she truly wanted you. At least. Today Woo Bin had been dispatched to find and welcome a lost soul to Hub.

Once, he had prepared and sent souls on to the afterlife. Now, he was a glorified tour guide. Really no, that was his job here.

He hated it. He hated Hub, he hated his job, he hated the massive amounts of paperwork people like this guy caused him and his boss. He hated having to explain the same simple basics to new people day in and day out. If Death was looking for a stupendous punishment for him, well, he had definitely found it. Above and beyond. Woo Bin was pretty sure that even Sunny would say that he didn’t deserve this level of punishment, and yet, here he was.

Damn Goblin.

The man was looking out at the city, and Woo Bin heaved a sigh, taking his hat off, rendering him visible to the living and dead alike. “It’s not the worst city. There’s magic here, and there’s technology. How much of each will depend on where you decide to spend your time.” He gave Matthew a deep nod of his head, “I am Woo Bin. Come, I’ll show you this place, we call it Hub.”
Marvel-TRN533

5 Posts
2 Threads
Job:
Ship Status: Widowed
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Soapy

Matthew felt more than saw or heard the other man's approach. Something felt off, like something was blocking his awareness, a presence existing somewhere between the molecules he could feel that made up the air around him... Yet there was nothing there, nothing to see, nothing to feel... But there was definitely something there. It perplexed him, but with the sheer strangeness of this place, he largely put it down to the fact he'd been dead merely moments before. Though this was... different. It wasn't like he had just been dead, he'd encountered that before. The simple fact of no longer being alive was empty, certainly... But as he knew his consciousness SHOULD have vanished, it remained, leaving him able to return.

This had been... different. He hadn't been able to feel anything, even as he felt his mind remain to him. If he hadn't found this place... He might have descended into terror. Yet here he stood on ground that was real, looking around what appeared to be a buzzing city.

He started when the man popped into existence next to him, causing him to flinch away. Feeling an entire person, mind and body included pop into existence was something he was by no means used to, and it was only through a careful breath drawn from him that he avoided turning the city around him into a crater. At the same time, he pressed a hand to his temple, squeezing his eyes shut. This man, whoever he was, had at least some telepathic talent. To have it suddenly appear to him caused a feedback loop inside Matthew's own head, bringing him no small measure of discomfort... It ultimately faded, yet in that mere moment, his power surged and flooded off him as though it were a river seeking to scour away everything in its path. "You... where did..." he began, before he let his mouth click shut. "Woo Bin. I, uh... It's good to meet you." He glanced around the area again, thinking, though his mind was impenetrable, almost as if it simply did not exist. The benefits of holding the level of power Matthew himself held.

He gestured at Woo Bin, a slight frown on his expression. "How did... how did you do that?"

@Kim Woo Bin
Goblin-TV Series

14 Posts
2 Threads
Job: Grim Reaper
Ship Status: Depressingly Single
Sexual Orientation: Demi Pansexual
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,188
While wearing his hat, Woo Bin was invisible. Oh, there were exceptions, but those were few and far in between; the Goblin could see him, but then Death couldn’t touch the Goblin at all, not until… Woo Bin closed his eyes at the sudden memory of his friend. Of the man he had once condemned to death. No, Woo Bin heaved a silent but heavy sigh, the friend that he had murdered. He didn’t like to think on it; it had been months since Kim Shin had died, since he had moved on to… This life. This punishment.

A hundred years of this, and he could move on. He could, perhaps, see Sun He again. That thought was bittersweet; would she still be angry with him a hundred years from now? Would she remember, or would she have drank the tea of Oblivion? Closing his eyes, Woo Bin forced his mind back to the task at hand. This soul needed guidance. He needed to know where he was, what was happening. That was Woo Bin’s job, not dwelling on his past, on the life he no longer lived.

So he removed his hat and immediately became visible to Matthew, and patiently let the man gather himself, calm back down. Woo Bin liked Hub enough that he didn’t want the man to destroy a large chunk of it. Besides, who knew how people would react to losing things they’d brought from their home universes? Those who could and did return to such places, anyway. Tipping his head slightly to the sigh, he looked upward, barely managing to keep from rolling his eyes as he let Matthew pull himself together. It was all he could do not to give a roll of his hand in a ‘come on’ gesture. That would be rude, even for him.

Sighing again, this time audibly, Woo Bin gave a half smile to the poor man, taking pity on him, “I spend much of my time invisible to people. It’s better that way, believe me.” If his tone contained just an edge of pain, well, Matthew could just wonder about that. Woo Bin pointedly kept his mind off of Sun He, Kim Shin, and Eun Tak. His old friends weren’t here, weren’t going to be here, and it did him no good to think on it. This was where he was, this was where he would be for the next century. Punishment for breaking the rules.

Worth it, if only for a few months of being as close to happy as he’d gotten in the previous three centuries.

Nodding to Matthew, he told him, actually somewhat honestly, “It’s good to meet you as well. Come on, let’s familiarize you with Hub. There’s a lot to learn, Matthew.” Of course Woo Bin knew the man’s name; Death had given him what details he’d felt the Reaper would need to do his job, and those definitely included the man’s name. “How did I do what? Find you? I was told where you’d likely be, and when. If you’re asking about the invisibility… It’s just a thing I do.” he shrugged, then waved toward the city, “I’m going to ask that you keep your calm and wits about you. It would look back for me if you were to destroy something, especially if it’s one of those things that don’t just grow back.”