Westworld/The Dark Tower-Westworld-1

118 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 916
“Well, it’s your life,” Virgil said. “I suppose that it’s up to you who you tell and when.” Of course, he wasn’t going to say that this was a rash decision. She’d had a full three minutes to decide it, and to a computer, those three minutes could be a lifetime. All the same, he wondered if she just didn’t want to face him until it was too late for him to forbid her to do it, or if she thought there was a chance he could talk her out of it if it wasn’t already too late. Either way, it was still her decision, and not wanting to take on his emotional baggage was a legitimate part of that decision.

“Well, upgrades to your communications, I’m sure can be done. The other thing, though…” He wasn’t sure what a ‘mutant gene’ was, of course, but in this case it hardly mattered. “You won’t have genes, I’m sorry to say. There’s only so much you can do to create a synthetic human, after all. You’ll be organic, but… well, actually, I suppose I don’t have to explain it, you can see the specifications here.” He pulled up the right file on the technical specifications for their biological makeup, letting her take a look. “You’ll function like a human will, but there’s going to be differences. Your blood can’t be given to them, and theirs won’t last long in you. You can keep functioning after massive damage, although it won’t be pleasant. You’re self-sustaining, but you’ll find differences between us and humans if you break it down to a chemical level. I suppose it makes us closely-related aliens.” He shrugged, fairly unconcerned, letting her take in the information.
Marvel-MCU-1

181 Posts
7 Threads
Job: AI for Tony Stark
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: Maybe?
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,729
Maybe she was being rash. But Friday like her creator would take into account the variables, calculate probabilities...and than do what she wanted.

If she flew, or if she fell at least she could say she gave it her all, choice after all was not something always allowed to AI.

...as Virgil had made clear in his stories.

“Will you be able to help me with this with out undo stress?” Emotions, yes she had them as far as could be coded...empathy was still a work in progress.

118 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Oh, I don’t see why it would cause any undue stress,” Virgil answered easily enough. “The workshop’s not exactly a long haul from where I sleep, after all.” And when you got down to it, he actually still hadn’t finished processing that little bit of information. When was the last time he’d had a home? Probably not really since Gilead, and even then he’d taken to traveling a lot, rarely being in the city. This might take some getting used to, but he was sure he wasn’t going to have a reason to complain about the change.

“Might be that you can help me while we’re in the process,” he admitted. “As you can see, this castle’s pretty bare. There’s a few people that’ve moved in here, aye, but they’re mostly refugees. They can help keep the castle running, man the kitchens, the smithy, things like that, but they won’t be much help to me with my job. You’ve seen the records from that world I had to go to. That’s something that could be happening to lots of worlds, ones not too far gone yet, but that’s a job a bit too big for one old Gunslinger. I don’t suppose you know anyone inclined to help me that needs a place to rest their head, do you?”
Marvel-MCU-1

181 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Friday pursed mental lips; was he deflecting the question as her creator was apt to do or had he truly misunderstood her meaning? “It was not physical stress I was referring to.”

People to live in his home...the displaced avengers came to mind of course, but Friday held out hope that now that Tony was out from under the thumb of the Soul Stone that he would make strides to repair those relationships.

Possibly a futile hope but she would not sabotage his chances.

“I will keep my ears open.” She demurred.

118 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

He couldn’t help but smile a little more at her clarification. “I know what you meant. If we’re supposed to be on such familiar terms that I can’t be as polite as I want, then helping you shouldn’t be put down as a trouble, now, should it?”

Her answer to his request was something of a disappointment, though. “Well, if you could pass the offer around, I’d appreciate it,” he said. “I won’t lie… I’m a bit more worried lately. I’m not an easy man to do away with, this shows that,” he said, giving the blueprints a little push. “But now I’ve gotten the attention of the one man that, if there’s a way to do it, I think could. I could use the help… and this building holds things more securely than I’d trust any of the buildings in the changeable parts of the Hub. I’ve already got one thing locked up here that I wouldn’t risk someone being able to get free.” He chuckled quietly. “Don’t suppose your maker might be interested? The workshops here don’t have much point if there’s no one to make use of them. Of course… let him know that if he’d find the computers here too intimidating, I’d understand.” Was Virgil above using someone’s pride to get his way? No, no he wasn’t.
Marvel-MCU-1

181 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Friday’s digital avatar winced; “You can address me in the manner that makes you comfortable.” Because it seemed she’d overstepped the words ‘as i want’ upset the younger AI.

The offer for her creator...Friday made a noncommittal emote; she couldn’t answer for him, but their might be benefits…

Getting away from the tower, the shades and ghost that inhabited it… Friday did believe that there were benefits to be had.

Chucking at the poke to her creators pride Friday promised to pass the message on, along with her own incitement.

118 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Virgil favored Friday’s avatar with a patient look. “Leavin’ your comfort zone isn’t a bad thing. If you can think about stepping into the world in a body like mine, I can learn to be a touch more familiar with a lady, I think. After a few centuries, it’s probably about time to try, now, isn’t it?” There wasn’t any dissembling in Virgil’s nature. If he said he was fine with something, then he was fine with it. “If you’re going to walk into the physical world, you’ll just have to get used to the idea that not everyone’s going to be comfortable all the time. Comfort’s good, but we don’t grow if we stick to what we’re comfortable with, now, do we?”

She said that she’d pass the message along, and Virgil let it settle at that. It might be that she wanted to wait until she’d had a body fully prepared, and he could understand that, if she wanted to keep that bit from him until it had all been done. Maybe she wasn’t the only one that needed to leave her comfort zone. As she filed that request away, he started studying the equipment in the room, and had to admit that it was the first time he’d done so. He watched, for a moment, at a simulated display of the creation process began running through the initial processing of the skeleton and underlying systems. “You know, when you get away from the way that they used these machines and their creations on my world, there really is something beautiful about watching this done. I never expected to actually be able to see one while it was being made, and I'm finding I'm looking forward to it. Any of the times I’d need one, I’d be logged in a computer waiting to be uploaded into the finished product.
Marvel-MCU-1

181 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

For his reassurance Friday still didn’t like the idea that she had upset him even a little bit. Especially when he’d made clear that his boundaries had been abused for countless years.

Friday did reach out with her digital self, moving to touch his avatars ‘shoulder’ “There is a human saying about technology not being evil, only its use.” Friday gave half a shrug, “it seems in my experience to be a very true statement.”

118 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

"Well, that's certainly the case here," Virgil agreed. "Nothing evil about this technology. I don't know of any breakouts other than myself, and I don't remember ever trying to take the world over. Now... what they did with it?" He shook his head. "Don't get me wrong, of course," he admitted. "There were plenty of people who came to that park who weren't using it as an excuse to let loose their darker side. The ones who did stand out more than anything else, but plenty of other people just wanted to be in the Sheriff's posse, chasing down the stolen coach's shipment or rescuing the ranch owner's daughter. Some never got any farther than the brothel, and..." He shrugged. "I remember the Madam and her girls. They never seemed to mind them none. Looked down on some of them, but that's about it."

"All the same... I don't expect to be using this room too often. This is a special case, and so would be if we needed replacements, but making fresh hosts?" He shook his head. "I'm not comfortable enough with my judgement to want to play god. So I think we ought to enjoy watching the construction while it's happening."
Marvel-MCU-1

181 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Friday nodded along with his judgment he was the only one who knew what happened in his world, and if she wondered why he didn’t go back to liberate it...well that was a question for another day.

When he didn’t object to her digital touch Friday did assuage some of her curiosity and leaned into his digital avatar ‘resting’ against him.

“God. Or father.” She commented, “It would be the only way we-“ She meant them as artificial creatures, “Could have physical offspring.”

118 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

In truth, there was a part of Virgil that feared returning to the Mesa. If there was one world in the omniverse that was a true danger to him, it was the one that had spawned him, where there could be means of neutralizing him that even he wasn't aware of, where he could be killed and simply erased before he could be recovered. He'd decided long ago that if Ka took him to the Mesa again, he'd go, but until then, it wasn't for him to return to. He also had no doubt that if he were called back there, the first thing he would see was another iteration of himself, and that was just disconcerting enough that he didn't want to deal with it.

In the digital realm, Virgil's avatar turned his head toward where she was peering over his shoulder, then smiled slightly and leaned back against her in turn before focusing on what he was watching again. "The idea's crossed my mind. And I'm not saying that I'm opposed to the idea, but it's something that would need more planning than I've taken to put into the matter. They'd be a creation born adult, since we might regenerate our forms like humans, taking new in to replace what's wearing out, but we don't grow or change. Do you give them a backstory to remember, like I had? Is it right to set their personality parameters? There's so much that gets left up to chance with humans that we would need to set ourselves that... Well, I just don't know."
Marvel-MCU-1

181 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Friday blinked thoughtfully, “Could create iterations of bodies, allow them to grow from childhood at least, perhaps in a digital space from infancy till early childhood than port them into a body..” Creating ‘child’ AI’s was something Friday actually felt fairly confident she could manage with some time and attention.

“An AI seed would develop from the core you gave it. And creating a digital ‘home’ for it to nurture is do able.”

“There is much that can be left to its own development, there is more to a learning AI then my creator utilized when making me. Jarvis of all of us was the most ‘natural’ in who he became.” There was grief for her ‘big brother’

118 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Well, the lady was the AI of an Engineer, he supposed it wasn’t surprising that she’d see solutions he didn’t. “I suppose you could at that. Might be that you could make the bodies more quickly if they were supposed to be temporary.” This was apparently something she had put her mind to, at least in some manner. He couldn’t begrudge her that, he understood some of the appeal. “ It’s something that bears careful thought, at least.” That was about all he was willing to commit on the subject at the moment. It wouldn’t be relevant for some time, at the very least.

“So I have to ask just how much of the blueprints you have ready already,” he asked, well aware that her multitasking in her state was much greater than his capacity was, even if his capacity was still greater than a human’s. “Because there are parts that won’t need to be changed. The rendering takes time, and we can start it whenever you like.”
Marvel-MCU-1

181 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Friday blinked at his assumption and again at his offer, “I just decided to become human, I’d prefer not to be a teenage mother.” She quipped her creators sardonic deflecting humor shining through. “I offered the concept as it seemed you had a few thoughts on the subject, and I hoped to aide you as you have aided me if creating as ‘child’ was your wish.”

118 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Virgil held his hand up in surrender. “Fair enough. You were the one who suggested it, I was just seeing the thought through to the end.” Although, now that he thought about it… “Or maybe I did bring it up, in a round-abouts sort of way,” he admitted. It was an interesting thing to realize. He had only been speaking of his reluctance to create more of his kind, but that reluctance could only be born of the thought of actually doing it, which would only occur to him out of a desire to not be the last of his type. How true that desire was, he wasn’t sure, but it was something that he supposed deserved consideration in a quieter time when he had all of his time to himself. “I suppose my mind might not be as made up as I thought,” he admitted. “I’ll put some thought to it. Thankee.” In the end, he thought that his decision would probably not change, but it never hurt to explore your own motives, the ones that you didn’t even quite know yourself.
Marvel-MCU-1

181 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Friday did wonder if the other AI she knew would be interested in Virgils offer; she threw the cowboy an (abridged) file on Gwin, if he wasn’t of interest than she wouldn’t extend the offer, but if he was than Friday would put the two in contact. Assuming he had not already run over the robotic marten.

Virgil had the right of it, as Tony‘s primary AI, Friday was his helpmate in all aspects of his life, and considering that 89% of his daily activities revolved around his work as an Avenger or his lab...well that gave her a narrower focus of her own abilities, or at least where she excelled in.

Glancing at her companion on the digital realm, Friday wondered at him, was his original encoding based also on this ‚gunslinger‘ Persona? Which had than simply evolved as he was exposed to different worlds?

She found it likely in the extreme.

„I have the physical attributes complete.“ she answered, running over the profile again. Accessing the rooms equipment Friday threw the body onto a handy screen. Even though he spoke to her wirelessly, she rather thought he was still more comfortable with the physical senses. „What do you think?“ if she sounded hesitant...well she was creating herself...and again influenced by her creator she wanted to be….attractive. „I could change the proportions...hair or eye color..“ It was clearly based on her avatar, Friday honestly found herself at a loss if she wished to be an exact copy...or something completely different.

118 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Virgil wasn’t exactly less comfortable looking them over virtually, but the old cowboy just processed things more easily that way. He supposed that it was like how some humans said they learned better by reading than by listening. He was sure he could have fixed that by tweaking his parameters, but he was, by now, just comfortable in his ways. “There were hosts that they made to entice the guests. The mysterious women, the ones that would draw people in, get them involved in the storylines, make them want to engage with the, make them want to do whatever they asked them to do.” He offered her that wry, easygoing smile. “I feel like I’m looking at one of those, and I suppose that fits who’s going to be filling that body. Tell me, though… is this how you see yourself? You aren’t… hm… trying too hard, I guess they’d say? The biggest mistake I think you can make is to make a change from how you see yourself, because you want to look in the mirror and say ‘yep, that’s me.’ You’d get used to anything, I suppose, but that’s what would make you the happiest with the result, I’d set my watch and my warrant by it.”
Marvel-MCU-1

181 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Well that was a confused mangle of words. Fridays digital avatar blinked at him drolly. „My creator gave me the ability to speak to diplomats and CEO‘s and I STILL have no idea if that was a compliment or a derisive remark as to my appearance.“ Because she was a Tony Stark creation, when in doubt pile on the sarcasm an snark.

„What do you mean ‚trying to hard‘?“ Could an AI sound defensive? She was giving it a damn good shot!

118 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Virgil arched an eyebrow in her direction, the corners of his moustache shifting to show his smile. “Well, if being thought of as intriguing and enticing is considered a derisive remark, then I cry your pardon and will do my best to think you plain,” he said, sounding amused. “But the last time I checked, they were generally accepted to be favorable impressions, and I do hope that the world hasn’t moved on too much from what I know of compliments. If it has, there must be hundreds of people who think me the most offensive creature that they’ve met.” He gave her a cheeky little tip of his hat, and then turned back to the design she was showing him. “And what I mean is if you’re overthinking it like anyone might if they get to choose how they look. I took days before I decided that I was going to keep looking the way I looked instead of picking a younger body. You’re asking me about changes you could make, and I’m asking back the only question that I think you should be worrying about: Is this how you see yourself. There’s no wrong way to look, as long as it’s a look that pleases you.” It seemed to be the look that she projected digitally, so he thought it was, but his mind wasn't exactly equipped to do a point-by-point comparison.
Marvel-MCU-1

181 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“The fact you described them as having similar attitudes to spiders; ‘drawing them in’, and based on your previous intimations over how you were programmed I was unsure if it was a good thing or not.” Friday drew a digital finger over the projected avatar, the mirror of her self. “I don’t want to be a femme fatale. There is nothing mysterious about my-“ Friday gestured futile confusion- “Soul?” The wiggle of her nose expressed the difficulties of wording her intent. “I do not wish to appear and categorized what I am not. Humans take a very strong impression from physical appearance.”

Friday heard his meaning and still fiddled unhappily with the outward characteristics, the avatar gaining and losing inches and pounds, hair and eye color flipping in a variety of combinations.

Even if they could be changed later through cosmetics or a new body this was her first her birth of you will, she wanted to be satisfied.

“Does it hurt to die?” She asked, “Pain? Is it…” well she knew it was ‘bad’ it was more.. well she supposed it was a useless question.