Westworld/The Dark Tower-Westworld-1

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 765
Virgil was sure that this place had not been here before. He would have noticed it, wouldn’t he? Of course, it was just the sort of thing that Ka would do, make you miss a place until it was your time, and then draw your attention right to it. He wasn’t sure which it was, whether he’d just been made to miss this place, or if it had been created by the magic of the cards he’d drawn, but here it was now… the Hall of Gilead. It looked so much like the old home that he’d known that it almost brought tears to the old Gunslinger’s eyes, but it was just different enough that he was able to separate himself from it.

Clearing the place… well, that had been an effort in itself. The place had been full of slow mutants, much like Gilead of Old had ended up, word was. They’d been hostile, and he’d been armed: the story wrote itself. Cleaning the place up after that… well, that had been even more of an effort, but not as much of one as he might have expected. Whereas Gilead of Old had held remnants of the machines of the Old Ones, this one had actual mechanical servants in good working order, though of much simpler design than some of the robots he’d had such issue with in the past. Once the muties had been cleared out, they’d started up their tasks, cleaning the place and making it fit for human habitation. There weren’t many of them, but they could, at least, do that much, and they’d done it thoroughly and tirelessly.

The castle itself looked old, made of stones that looked like they were crumbling, but were deceptively solid, built to last while still appearing aged, not unlike himself. Inside, though, the technology was considerable. He’d found four distinct areas to the castle. One part was suited for people to live in. It had living quarters, dining rooms, and kitchens to spare, and could have housed the whole of Gilead as he’d known it within the rooms that ranged from spartan and functional to outright luxurious. Also like himself, the rooms appeared dated and old fashioned, but were, in fact, equipped to support the modern conveniences he’d seen on most Earths. Hating to see it empty, the first thing he’d done was to seek out those refugees they’d brought back from their rescue mission, offering a place in the castle to anyone who wanted to help keep it up. They hadn’t even put a dent into the available living quarters.

The work rooms were partly separated from the building, scattered around the courtyard and running along the lower level of the castle nearest the kitchens. There were rooms for crafts he was familiar with, such as a smithy, a carpenter’s shop, a greenhouse near the gardens, even a brewery, and others that he could make a good guess at, though he wasn’t quite sure. He was reasonably sure that they were for craftsmen from more technologically advanced worlds, but again… that wasn’t his area of expertise. They did seem to all be varied, so he had to guess that there was something that would suit anyone’s particular area of experience… he’d even found a room that was used to craft the bodies of Hosts like himself. That room, he kept locked for reasons that would be obvious to anyone, he hoped.

The third area was partly underground, and partly confined to a corner of the castle that looked easy to close off from common access, and it all centered around the more official areas that might concern a castle of any age. There was a meeting room, a war room, billets for troops ready to deploy and, he was surprised to see, a portal. He hadn’t tried to activate it, but it seemed to be functional, with a keypad to enter a destination like the one that had taken them to Quethadia’s world. There was also a high security vault close to a brig, which he sincerely hoped would not need to be used, and at the same time was convinced would inevitably see use.

The library was what he currently found himself exploring, and it took up a good three floors of a quarter of the castle, two above ground and one beneath it. The two above ground seemed to be fairly thorough and as you would expect, filled with books and maps, references and information. The one below ground, though, was full of computers that he had only ever seen in aged disrepair in Mid-World: Dipolar computers that had run entire cities for millenia, relics of the great Old Ones from before they had destroyed themselves, powerful things that he had only ever seen at a fraction of their power. These, though, were humming healthily and in good repair, had a functional connection to their access terminals for people to use, and were undoubtedly full of information gleaned from various universes… though how complete those libraries were, he had no way of knowing, nor did he think anyone could. The real question, though, was how advanced these computers really were, but he knew he wasn’t the one to answer that particular question, he couldn’t even identify a good bit of the equipment here. Fortunately, he had met someone who could. Opening those rarely used access channels in his systems, he ‘spoke’ up into the code that went streaming out of his mind. “Ms. Friday? I don’t suppose you’re busy right now, are you?”
Marvel-MCU-1

171 Posts
7 Threads
Job: AI for Tony Stark
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation: Maybe?
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,435
Friday was only a digital presence, an avatar that could ‘appear’ in a limited setting. At least in Hub where the cyber landscape was dangerously ever shifting, she had yet to find another purely digital artificial construct in this place.

And honestly? That frightened the young AI. At least back home she had the infinity of the internet in a digital world if she was ever forced to do as her big brother had and hide. In hub? Friday was limited to the few ‘real’ devices that existed if she was ever forced to that extreme.

A possibility that had become bitterly topical when her creator had succumbed to the Soul Stone.

That inciting incident put urgency behind her low key efforts towards the creation of a ‘real’ body.

Which was currently occupying the majority of her processing while Tony slept. Virgil’s quiet request for her attention surprised the AI, during their conversation she had formed the opinion that he did not like to be reminded of his artificial origins, or at the very least that the electronic connections were...not as welcome.

“Hello Virgil.” Friday opened up her self, meeting him in that in between digital space. “Is everything alright?” Friday was not accustomed (rather like her creator) to be contacted casually. “Nothing that can’t wait.” She responded to his question.

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Ah, good, she was listening. That was always a bit of a question in the Hub when it came to systems you encountered in a borough. As she’d pointed out, since she’d showed up, some had appeared, some had disappeared. Friday, though, apparently was there still.

“Evening, ma’am.” What the equivalent of a digital tip of the hat was, no one could really say, but that’s what Virgil did. “Everything’s fine, everything’s fine, just been a bit busy lately. Touch of trouble I had to smooth out, I think I saw one of your worlds gone to seed.” And that, of course, was putting it lightly, but there was never a word for things getting as bad as what he’d seen. “But the most pressing bit is that I’ve come into possession of a new home, and I am most certainly not versed enough to decide how good the machines here are. The computers look powerful, but it really might just be that I’m easily impressed, I’ll admit it.” He gave her that easy smile, a little bashful this time. “I was hoping that maybe you’d see fit to take a look, see just how good they were for me. If you need me to do anything to open them up, I’m right at the controls. They’re supposed to be secure, I just don’t know if they’re locked down already.”
Marvel-MCU-1

171 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“One of mine?” Friday wondered if he meant a universe near to her own or simply one that was ‘like’ after all while clearly there were plenty that were nearly identical there was infinite variation of ‘human dominated with a new york’.

At his question Friday nodded, this at least was familiar enough, interfacing with unknown tech was a good chunk of her programming. “Of course.” Sliding as delicately as a aerial ribbon artist down into his open systems Friday directed his inputs to the systems, connecting them to her via his ports as a pass through. Friday was meticulous though in making sure that the pass through connection was surface only and had no access to his core processes in the event of malicious booby traps.

“What was this home?” She asked curiously probing the frankly awesome system.
@"Virgil Barnett"

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Well, that’s what those with me were saying,” he admitted. “The tower we were in did remind me of the one I met you in, not completely, though. I have the records if you want, but I wouldn’t say that it exactly makes for light reading, if you understand my meaning.” Part of him felt like he shouldn’t flaunt what he knew. Then again, it was important that those people who were learning of the Hub, who’d been chosen by the Hub, some would say, to learn just how bad things could get, what they were up against. If she wanted to know… well, it wasn’t for him to deny her.

“This place seems to be based on the buildings and creations of my world, or my adopted world, I suppose. I’ve seen computers like these there, but never in what I’d call good working order. This is the first I’ve seen that haven’t moved on, like we used to say.” He shook his head a little. “Even I can tell what a huge difference that makes. The computers like these, they sat untended for millennia, and they were breaking down, but they hadn’t broken down. The Old Ones did know how to make their machines.”

"As for how this place came to be... I'm not sure. I don't know if it's always been here, or if it was magicked into being. Either one is just as likely as the other. All I know is that everything in it is supposed to be rightfully mine, with all of the authority that comes with that. So far, all of the systems have done exactly what I've asked, so that stands up."
Marvel-MCU-1

171 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Not the world you were created on?” She was honestly slightly disappointed; his construction was the best she’d seen so far in regards to an human seeming artificial body. Once the system granted access Friday moved in to give her self direct permissions through his credentials, she now on longer needed to piggy back in fact-

“I would like the download.” She responded verbally from the large humanish done she’d downloaded a copy into; more data was Better than less, and she found herself in the position she NEEDED that data more than ever before.

It was however very interesting from the perspective of what Hub was that it had either created or allowed him access to a place that wasn’t strictly speaking his. From her experience in the tower she would have anticipated amalgamation between his home reality and the one represented here.

“What else can I help with?”

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Well, funny you should mention it,” he admitted. “That’s what makes me think it was magicked into being. I mean, this being the Hub, anything’s usually possible, except we’re on solid ground, so to speak, so everything should stay constant. I got this through some magic that wasn’t of the Hub, though… so that changed the equation. Once I get here, I find a castle like my adopted world, but it has a bit of my home world, too. I think…” He paused, recalling what the system designation for that room was. “Sub-sector M, the rendering system.”

Virgil looked at the computer panel in front of him a moment, then felt around for a cord along the side of it. Extending it out, he reached up, working something with the back of his head, finally finding the port to plug the download cable into. True, it was possible to do it wirelessly, but the cables just made it faster. “It’s all in there if you want to see it, ma’am.”

What did he need? Well, that was the question of the day. “Well, if you can tell me how good the systems are, that would be a start. If I need to start finding someone who can upgrade them for me, I should probably start looking into it now. As near as I can tell, they have information from and about countless worlds, but I’m not the best person to see how right I am about that.” He gave her a moment to get herself situated in the system, admitting to himself what the real answer was. “I suppose what I need is what I always need,” he chuckled, “Help.”
Marvel-MCU-1

171 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Friday was duplicated between the physical shell and in the system; so she could easily pull the offered datastream directly into the Stark servers.

While she kept some of her processing on that, most of her attention was drawn to the room he brought up. Even at a quick glance it was clear that this was a manufacturing facility of the type that had created him; which for Friday was now suddenly very interesting.

“Well as to your first question:” her voice was rueful, “If you did want someone to come in to upgrade it likely wouldn’t be us. I’m sure Mr. Stark would be able to sooner or later understand these systems and perhaps even improve on them-“ she had to defend her creators brilliance; “But as of right now they are centuries beyond my technology and I am bleeding edge for my world.”

As for his second-

Regretfully she returned the majority of her attention to the databases, leaving a portion behind in that room. “You seem to be correct.” Friday noted, throwing up indexes for his easy access.

“Help?” The drone looked over at him, “it seems to me you have made a habit of being helpful. But mostly in the physical sense.” Feeling more comfortable she asked a blunt question. “Why dont you feel comfortable in your digital persona?”

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Well, it seems that what they said about the machines of the Great Old Ones is true enough, then,” he said. That was good enough. Friday, he trusted, knew her computers, and if she said that these ones were that good, they would be good enough for whatever he’d need for some time. “I’ll need to go through this place more carefully, then. I don’t think that it’s stocked with any of the weapons they burned the world with, but I don’t want to take that risk. Some things shouldn’t see light of day again.”

He examined the databases she outlined, just skimming the titles and subjects, nodding slowly as he read them out. “How, though,” he murmured. “Where does it get this from…” There was a portal here, of course. It was possible that the computers had an active monitor on other worlds, or at least an active scan through the worlds that the portal could reach, updating the databases periodically. Or, alternately, it could have been gathered by someone else and what they saw was what they had. There was too much he didn’t know.

His mulling these topics over was going to have to wait, though, because the question she asked him called for a fair deal of introspection. “I don’t think I was meant to be comfortable with it,” he said. “I wasn’t even made to know what my nature was, sai. It took a lot of growth beyond the parameters they put on my personality to learn what I was, where I came from. I’ve gotten used to it, yes, and it can be handy at times. It’s… a bit of a paradox. It’s what I am, but it isn’t who I am.” He set his hand on the console in front of him. “I can look at this, know about what it does, know how to use it, but I don’t understand the technology behind it. I can learn the rudiments of it, just like any man could. I had to learn how to steer a space-coach once… I can’t say I did it badly, either. It isn’t the first inclination of how my mind works, though. What I am is a host, a synthetic person, aye. Who I am is a Gunslinger, and I suppose after centuries, I’m just old fashioned enough to think that if you want to talk to someone, you open your mouth and say what you have to say. When it’s an option, at least.”
Marvel-MCU-1

171 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Friday was built initially as a literal ‘gal friday’ a companion for the ever busy Pepper Pots; so when the cowboy continued to call her ‘sai’ in their interactions her protocols dictated she let him address her as he felt most comfortable.

Newer experiences had modified that initial build, “Friday.” She had enough of being called by a formal honorific, he had asked her help as...well one supposed a friend and shared his knowledge and access freely so.. “Please. I’m not...I prefer not to be formal with you.”

As he spoke through… Friday wondered if he used it with her to maintain distance perhaps- “And creations like me are not..’real’?” He said he was created to be an artificial person, took his identity from anything but his created state.

So it followed- “Fully digital, I was never expected or meant to view myself as a ‘person’ not like you.” But even if he did...which was better? He who neglected his digital origins because he thought himself people or…

Humm.

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Well, now, I was taught to always be polite to a lady, but if it bothers you…” The smile he favored her with was probably as close to mischievous as he got, but the tip of his hat seemed to finish the touch marvelously. Not to say that there was no mischief in Virgil, of course… he was just much more softspoken about it than most people would be, and that was how he liked it.

Which, he suppose, gave him a good answer for her now that he thought of it. “You’re as real as anyone else,” he reassured her. “As I said… looking at myself digitally, talking over information channels… it just isn’t where my mind goes naturally. Like I said, I wasn’t designed to think like a computer, to behave like an android. Those that made me might have even said that I didn’t truly feel, that everything I do is a programmed response that fits best within the parameters that were set for me when my narrative was uploaded. When I learned what I was, when the limits on my programming broke, that left me with a bit of a quandary. You see, obviously, I could have changed my parameters. I could have made myself even more cunning, more ruthless, removed all of the restrictions and conditioning from my mind. I still can, really, although it would be harder now with all of the data I’d have to filter from my experiences. Question I had to deal with, though, is that if I could change myself like that, was I real? Was I just the expendable thing that they told themselves I was, were my feelings, my pain, my desires all a lie? I won’t lie, I agonized over that question for a good long while, even for a human it would be a long while, and you know just how much thinking someone like us can pack into days. In the end… And I think this is something that every man or woman deals with, too, because there’s no end to people talking about reinventing themselves or improving themselves or changing people or changing for people. In the end, they come to a point like I did, where I said that this is just how I am, and that I like how I am, and that I don’t see any need to make any fundamental changes to how I am. My parameters might be the same as when those people set them inside me, but they’re that way because I’ve decided that that’s how I want them to be.”

“I suppose that some people would say that I might have been better if I had decided differently. In some worlds, if I could just sink into a computer like you, I might have done things differently, I might have done things better. I might not have, too, we’ll never know. The bottom line is, that’s not who I decided to be. I might have liked that way just as much, I’ll never know, I decided that I didn’t care to find out. There wouldn’t have been anything wrong with me if I had, I’m sure, I just… well, I just didn’t.”
Marvel-MCU-1

171 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“Polite even after becoming friends?” Her digital self planted her chin on her hand coyly, the drone she was controlling left the console to investigate if there was anything that was NOT showing on the sensors about this place.

Friday knew enough to be paranoid especially in this place what she SAW was not always what was ‘there’.

“Interesting quandary, comparatively i am still a child.” She admitted freely, he knew how ‘old’ she was for what that mattered to a digital entity. “I am still pondering what I am, who I will be, and what I want-“ Friday laughed, “Although my creator built me to be a learning AI, self growth is part of my core program.”

Friday continued to feed him data as they spoke, both after all could multitask beyond what humans could even consider.

“I wonder what it would be like to be like you. Able to feel physically like a human does, to experience pain, pleasure, emotion as they do.”

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“That would depend on exactly how familiar you want me to be now,” he answered, though he didn’t seem to be paying the drone any mind right now. He might talk out loud when he talked to her, but even if that drone was something physical to talk to, it wasn’t her, and it wasn’t going to be her in his mind. That was easy enough for him to see.

Being well away from the boroughs, Friday would find that everything in this place (now that it had been created, if that was what had happened) was remarkably consistent. Not knowing that she was worried about that, though, Virgil stayed silent on the matter. “Well, then, some would say that your maker considered you more of a person than mine did, if he wanted you to grow and expand. A bit of an ironic setup, I’d say.” Not that he hadn’t grown, of course. Virgil admitted that he knew very little of what it meant to be an AI, but he’d had lifetimes to learn about being a man. He’d grown… just not the same way she’d probably be inclined to do.

“Of course… if you wanted to find out, I suppose it’s easy enough to find out, now, isn’t it?” He’d watched a host being rendered only once, and knowing what it was meant for, he’d found it a chilling experience. However, creating a body for a free creature… that would be different, wouldn’t it?
Marvel-MCU-1

171 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

If a digital being could blink in flustered confusion Friday’s avatar did just that as she processed his changed demeanor. Was he low key flirting with her? Or was he simply being more casually trusting? For many of the avengers the line was fatality blurred which had not helped HER in learning those skills.

“We have spoken before about the differences in our creators.” Friday adored hers, and would protect him because he was at his heart a good man who had given her every choice and chance he could provide.

Following Virgil’s train of thought was easy and- “And limiting.” She murmured, “I want to try...but I can’t let go of the wider world of being anywhere I wish, fully.” Or more aptly- “I’m scared.” She admitted.

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

Her response was hard to parse, but the cowboy managed it in the end, and couldn’t help being amused. Yes, he was flirting with her, although how much intent was behind it, he wasn’t even sure. It was a skill he had in some sense, but not one that he’d generally had a use for.

“Limiting isn’t exactly the word I’d use. You’d need to maintain the body, true enough. Wouldn’t exactly do to come back and find it starving, after all. But I need to point out that even though I don’t let myself be everywhere at once doesn’t mean I couldn’t. Or… at least, I’m reasonably sure I could. It might require some custom design in the rendering process.” That said, he considered the AI, ‘looked’ at her, so to speak, as she admitted her fear. “We’re only as limited as we let ourselves be,” he said, “Or as limited as we decide we are. This is new. ‘New’ can frighten people. Although… I don’t know if you need to try this to ‘feel like the humans do,’ if you can be scared already.”
Marvel-MCU-1

171 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

“I said feel emotions like a human. I can feel...but is it the same?” Friday shrugged, “There is no way to know, even humans don’t know if they feel the same as each other with certainty.” But she did truly believe that- “it’s not the same. If I took on a human, a true human form it would be...cheating to keep my digital selves...I suspect that the discord would eventually sunder my Gestalt into ‘human’ and ‘AI’ and that would also kill ‘me’.” Friday HAD been putting quite a lot of thought into this, yes she had started the process of creating a body...but now that it was an immediate possibility she found herself hesitating.

“So...it becomes the question if I am willing to become...human. Or as close as I could be.” Friday half smiled at him. “You made that choice but it was also to stay as you are. What would you advise me to do?”

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“I don’t think there’s an answer to that,” he said honestly. “Not even all humans feel the same. There’s some without a lick of compassion to them, they can do horrible things and just smile right at you like nothing happened.” He had to admit, though, that there was a chance he was just evading. Did he know if he felt like a human did? No, he never could, because he could never step outside his own head. It was one of the things that you just had to accept. “As for what happens… well, I can’t honestly tell you. I only know what happened to me, when both of me came face to face. I remember that, I remember it completely. I remember the way my gut froze when I realized that I was back in that place, right on a path I’d ridden so many times… but I also remember waking up in my bunk that day and pinning my badge on again, not even realizing that I’d lived that same day over and over with my memory wiped each time. I remember finding that older, worn-down version of myself and feeling so confused, so… wrong until I explained what I was, made me understand…” He frowned, realizing that he was switching points of view mid-sentence… but it was so hard to keep that meeting straight, with the overlapping points of view being what they were.

He brushed that aside, deciding to not confuse the situation any more than he already had. “I can’t make that decision for you. You already know what I’d pick in your boots… or at least what I understand of them. I think a better question is what would your creator say to this?”
Marvel-MCU-1

171 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

What would Tony Stark do? No the question was what would Tony Stark say and as much as she loved her creator she knew that the two did not match as often as one would like.

“What would be say or how would he feel?” Friday’s digital lips pulled into an unhappy line; “I think he would tell me that he never wanted any of us to live the curse of being human. And that he would want me to explore of I was that curious.” Friday sighed “and on the inside he would be terrified for me. How much of that is the terror of any loved one for something completely new that has unknown results?” He had given her the experience of seeing himself, of combined Gestalts.

“If I do this…” she began slowly for an AI, “I would remove all remote copies.” Friday snorted, “Perhaps the ‘soul stone’ affected me as well. Till these last few month I never considered being human, the idea of flesh and all the...liquids, skin, bodily fluids..it was disgusting. Yet now I wonder what it would be like to touch with skin, feel hands on my face, hair moved by wind…”

Friday had made her decision. “I want to feel.” She highlighted the room using his access to paint the variables that would make ‘her’. “I will need your help.” She asked/told him.

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

What would he say, or how would he feel? “Well, both are reasonable things to think of,” Virgil allowed. At the same time, he didn’t quite think that the viewpoint she spoke of was particularly helpful. It was the view of a man who, apparently, had a dim view of the human experience, possibly one who’d made a mess of his. Messes could be made, of course, but just because one person did didn’t mean that everyone would.

He let her work through it on her own, though. Yes, he had heard those same words used about the ‘dirty, filthy’ existence of living creatures, generally by robots that could at least think for themselves, and usually ones that had a reason to look for any reason to hate the biological. Maybe it wasn’t grounded so much in hatred as confusion. He, certainly, hadn’t had that problem… but it was possible it had just been programmed out of him. That was a curious thought.

As she agreed to the idea, he moved himself from the library, starting up toward the rendering room. The process wouldn’t start now, of course, but it was easier to use the equipment there to show her what she needed. On entering the room…

The room was smaller, of course, than the ones he was used to from the Mesa. It was only designed to make one host at a time, after all. All the same, he could distinctly remember watching them rendering their new victims, the painstaking care they took in the designs… and had to remember that not all of those who’d made him had been bad.

Not surprisingly, he was able to find a set of his own blueprints in the room, probably generated by his own proximity, and took them off of the printer. His entire being, reduced to a technical design… “First thing you’ll need is a design,” he said. “The system is mostly automated, but for it to start, you need to give it a blueprint to work with. Here’s your example, I suppose. The system will reject anything that’s not structurally viable, it’ll make sure that you don’t leave any parts out.” He paused, considering his own design. “This’ll be your chance to decide if you need to upgrade the body as well. Might be that my level of access to computer systems isn’t strong enough to your tastes. I’m afraid that you’ll need someone else to help you upgrade that, though.”
Marvel-MCU-1

171 Posts
7 Threads
Ship Status:
Kel

Friday followed along via the drone and security systems; the blueprint he held out was also accessed digitally. “Maybe I’m hitting my teen rebellion phase but…” Friday began mapping out that changes she wished from the base, she actually liked her chosen avatar so building a body to that standard was her goal.

“I don’t think I want to tell Tony until it is done.” It would never cross her mind that he would disallow her or do anything besides help her...but for some reason she wanted to go alone.

For values of alone.

“Maybe the other Mr. Stark can help with the upgrades.” She commented pondering the options. “I wonder if the mutant gene could be added…” she questioned curiously.