Fandoms: All

Canons: Open/Oc's Welcome!

Bans: Howard the Duck,
RPF* Real Person Fiction; IE Apping an actual celebrity

Main Rule:Don't Be a Dick

OOC min age:18

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: Arjay Lo'RanReally, he doesn't spend ALL his time here...
Dungeons and Dragons-Forgotten Realms

272 Posts
18 Threads
Job: Bard
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 831
There was something about the rain rattling against his windowpanes that had always made Arjay feel inspired. The dark skies, the flickers of lightning with the occasional bright flash followed by the rumble and crashing of thunder, they’d always resonated with him, ever since he was a child. Storms were what made him feel like the world felt just like the rest of them did. On the nights when the thunder crashed loudest, that was when he had to play the sweetest songs, craft his greatest creations, do something to lighten the world’s spirit as it were.

Today (tonight? The storm had been raging and he’d quite lost track of time, it could be evening for all he could see) he was working on a masterpiece. The shape of the sword had come along perfectly, something he’d been working on over the past months. As the blade turned in his hand, light seemed to flicker along the edge of the blade from the smooth, matte surface of the flat that stayed a constant dark grey. The hilt with the cloud motif felt natural in his hand, and the sword swung smoothly through the air, neither too light or too heavy.

The magics he was planning for this blade were ambitious, and would take him some time to manage, he knew, but it would be worth it in the end, he believed. Protections cast upon him, he stepped out into the rain, walking into the little clearing behind the Moon, planting the hilt of the blade in the muddy earth. With a strident, melodic chant, he called down the lightning from the low clouds above him and found himself momentarily dazzled as the bolt struck the blade some ten feet in front of him. He had just enough time to turn away, covering his ears before the clap of thunder followed, deafening even to his covered ears, drawing startled exclamations from the patrons of his tavern. Well… he’d known that it was going to be an ordeal enchanting this blade, thankfully he hadn’t planned anything for this day yet. Turning back to the blade, bracing himself, he called down yet another bolt of lightning to the waiting tip of the sword.
Marvel-MCU-2

88 Posts
7 Threads
Job: Spy/Hero/Daughter
Sexual Orientation: Straight?
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,396
Lorelei loved and hated the rain; it was beautiful, it brought life to the trees and flowers, but it also meant that she couldn't go out to shoot. Tonight, well, that was fine by her; she hadn't planned to go shooting, and the thunder, so loud, the lightening, so erratic, fit her mood very well.

The Wandering Moon was a welcome sight after her mission and a day spent trying to figure out how to deal with what she had done and what she was about to do. It hadn't been easy, but then little was, not when it mattered. She asked after the owner of the tavern and was pointed to the back. It was sort of beginning to seem like Arjay spent the majority of his time out there. Lorelei didn't hesitate, she just crossed through the tavern, heading to where she expected to find the elf.

She reached the little clearing just in time to witness the bolt of lightning strike the sword planted in the ground in the middle of the cleaning. She turned her eyes, blinking away the after images of the lightning, to the elven weaponsmith. When he called the second bolt, she realized what was coming and averted her eyes in time. She made sure the bolt was finished, the echoes of thunder fading away before she brought her hands up to applaud Arjay's efforts. "Bravo!"

272 Posts
18 Threads
Mike

Arjay made a somewhat frantic gesture to Lori when he heard her applause, a gesture that was explained quite succinctly when he hurriedly turned away and covered his ears, seconds before the third bolt of lightning struck down. Hopefully she got the hint and was ready for it as well.

That done, he hurried forward wearing a thick glove of red dragon hide, grasped the hilt of the still-glowing sword, and rushed over to where a barrel was waiting. The water had been filled half of the way with holy water blessed by a priest of Aerdrie Faenya (a costly import from home), and the other half with water gathered solely from the thunderstorm. Oh, some creative gathering had been involved, yes, but that was beside the point. As soon as the white-hot blade touched the water, steam shrieked up into the storm, and he turned away, gritting his teeth as he braced himself. Seconds later, lightning struck the barrel, and though he was protected from its touch by his spells, feeling the thrum of the wild power of the storm surge through the blade like that still wasn’t a pleasant experience. Unable to cover his ears through that particular clap of thunder, he slowly waited for the ringing in his ears to stop, holding the still steaming blade in his hand before he addressed Lori.

“Well. I hope that show was impressive enough for you, my dear. I would have personally advised waiting five more minutes to spare yourself the thunder, but what’s done is done,” he called over the rush of the rain and the rumbling of the clouds above them. “Come. In, where it’s dry.” He trusted her to follow as he moved back into the workshop, closing the door securely behind them. He set the sword into its place on his workbench, then let three spells off into the air, each producing a puff of magic flame that dried himself, Lori, and the sword in turn.

“Well now, this is a pleasant surprise,” he admitted. “I’d been planning to call on you to come collect your present, but then I found myself rather busy. I’m in the market for a new sword, as you see, and this one has been collecting quite a bit of my attention, I’m afraid.” He reached under the workbench, coming out with a long, slender box, containing a single arrow of polished, enchanted wood, tipped in an arrowhead that was gilded with pink gold. Carving the runic embellishments upon the shaft had taken nearly as much time as it had to find the feathers of two mated hippogriffs to fletch it. Most notable, of course, was the pink glow that the whole thing seemed to give off when touched. “I lately heard of the various, and might I say often contradictory, stories you Earth people tell of… Cupid? Am I saying that correctly? Ah, good. Well, needless to say, they inspired me.” Smirking in a sort of self-satisfied way, he gestured for her to go ahead and take it.
Marvel-MCU-2

88 Posts
7 Threads
Nyte

Arjay's frantic gesture did not go unnoticed; Lori saw it, and even realized what he was trying to tell her. Another bolt was coming. Crap! Just before the last bolt of lightning crashed down to strike the sword, Lorelei slapped her hands over her ears and bent nearly double, eyes closed. Sun, she had learned that in Hub injuries that blinded or deafened you could be healed, but why get hurt in the first place? Papa would be proud, she knew.

This time, when Arjay moved to collect the sword and temper it, Lori gave him room to work. she was really, really glad she did when another bolt of lightning hit the barrel. There wasn't much likelihood Arjay would hear it, but Lori gave a long, low, impressed whistle at the unexpected show.

She let her elven friend recover from the thunder in his own time, happy to wait. It wasn't every day you got a show like that one! The rain and wet hadn't bothered her, but she grinned at the magic Arjay used to dry them and his sword off nonetheless Magic was cool. "It was awesome. I'm glad I didn't miss it!"

Her present? Lori blinked at Arjay in surprise, but she smiled at the realization that he had made her something. A magical gift. an arrow. Wow. Looking at the arrow, Lori couldn't help the awe. Cupid, huh? "Cupid. Eros. Yeah." she grinned, "I can't blame you for being distracted, you're making a beautiful sword." She reached to take the arrow when he gestured to it, "this though... It's gorgeous, Arjay." It had good balance, wasn't too short for her draw, and it was MAGIC. "Is it... Once I use it... What's it do?" She'd treasure the arrow forever and save it as a last resort, because she had lots of arrows, but only one of these, just like the anti-Hulk arrow.

272 Posts
18 Threads
Mike

“Well, if it was impressive, I’m glad you didn’t miss it either,” Arjay said, giving her a cheeky smile as he shook his hair out, making sure that it was dry again, then tying it back. Having loose hair in the forge tended to be a bad idea, after all. For some reason, there feels like there’s more power than usual in the storms here. I’m really not sure why, it may have something to do with things happening on the worlds bleeding over, but in any case, I’m trying to capture some of the raw power into my enchantments. After this, I’ll be able to start in ernest.”

Lori seemed to like her present, which pleased him, although her question made him laugh a bit. “What does it do? Why, I’m sure that I don’t know, my dear. The most logical answer is that it will enspell them to love someone, some thing, when shot. It could have other effects too. Love tends to affect everyone in vastly different ways, after all. Having been created by me to be gifted to you, however, it should never have an effect that is harmful to you, at the very least, even if someone else takes it from you and uses it on you.” He paused a moment, considering that last one. “Although since that would involve you being shot by an arrow, I do ask that you not let that last one happen. Just make sure you retrieve it. It’s enchanted, so it shouldn’t break when used.”
Marvel-MCU-2

88 Posts
7 Threads
Nyte

As though it could have been anything less than impressive! Lori laughed lightly, following Arjay as he moved while still giving him space to work. "Maybe this place is just magical like that? She wasn't really sure what was and wasn't possible when it came to magic. Especially here in Hub, and especially when it came to just what sort of magic an elf might be capable of. Nodding, Lon did her best to remember what Arjay said about magic; she might not be very likely to ever learn it. (she was pretty sure she wasn't skilled like that) but that didn't make it any less interesting! "So... It's going to be a lightning sword?"

He didn't know what the arrow (which he had made!) would do? She paused, considering what he was saying, the logic behind his "guess" at what the arrow would do if she shot someone with it. "You made me alone arrow." Her amusement was audible in her voice, though even if it hadn't been, her grin and the sparkle in her eyes were telling on their own. "Other than the people being shot with an arrow part, that sounds pretty much like the best thing to be able to do ever." Or worst, but Lori couldn't help the mischievousness that took her mind and sent her spiraling into the matchmaking ideas she now had; she was her father's daughter, after all...

272 Posts
18 Threads
Mike

Arjay smiled at her slightly, then shrugged at her suggestion. “No, these storms are… particularly potent. I’ve seen many of them in my time here, and this weather lately…” He shook his head, then shrugged. Who knew? He certainly didn’t. “It does make me worry that someone is going to come chasing after their lost power, but there’s nothing for it but to hope for the best. Yes, it will be a Stormblade, but as ever, with magic, we see what secrets the enchanting will unlock. It’s always interesting to see just what powers can be instilled into a weapon, so I’m hoping for it to be much more.”

For a moment, she looked uncertain with her gift, but that was only (thankfully) a moment. “Yes, I made you a love arrow,” he confirmed. “What can I say? I can’t think of anything more fitting in the quiver of such a delightfully captivating archer… But I suppose I digress. You’ve come to visit me, having obviously no idea that you had a present waiting, since I never told you… so I suppose it is high time that I finally ask you what brings you to my humble and ever-waiting doorstep? I don’t suppose that you simply found yourself pining for my company?” He shot her a playful smile at that, even while sure that (unfortunately) this last was probably not the case.
Marvel-MCU-2

88 Posts
7 Threads
Nyte

Arjay’s insistence that there was something even more than just plain magical about the storms here in Hub of late was just a little bit concerning. Lorelei had no problem with magic; she’d grown up knowing powerful magic users like Dr. Stephen Strange, but… More than magical? That was sort pretty alarming. That on top of Arjay’s words about someone coming here to seek out their missing power… Yeah. “So you don’t get to decide what powers go into the weapon while you make it?” Ignoring the darker tidings of before, Lori asked the question brightly; it was borne of pure curiosity, a desire to know more, as the redhead watched the sword, studying it. “I always thought the person making the weapon chose what it became.”

Lorelei’s uncertainty came from her knowledge of herself; this…. This was a huge temptation, one she wasn’t sure she would be able to hold off. (Because seriously, who would be able to deny the wish to go play cupid when they had the for-real ability to actually play cupid?? Lori was pretty sure it wasn’t this girl!) And as awesome as playing cupid might sound, seem, and be, it meant that she’d have to shoot someone with an arrow. One that, while it was absolutely beautiful, looked like a fully functioning arrow. “Thank you, Arjay.” She’d treasure it, that much she knew.

With a laugh, Lori shook her head, “You are amazing company, you know, but…” The cheerfulness melted away and without it, Lorelei looked much more tired, “I was hoping you could send me hoe for a couple of days…”

@Mike

272 Posts
18 Threads
Mike

Arjay caught the sudden worry in Lori’s eyes, which honestly he thought was misplaced. Something about what he said had been misunderstood, or it resonated with something from her world that wasn’t pleasant… either way, it was a bit of an overreaction, he judged. Reassurances, of course, were often ineffective if someone had what they thought was a reason to worry, so he simply latched onto the question that she asked. He could, after all, wax academic about magic until the sky cleared and darkened. “Oh, I do choose what it will become… at least, in most respects. There are several properties that the weapon will most certainly have. I could take this inside right now… or quite a while ago, actually, and finish enchanting this just like every sword of lightning that’s ever been made. However… what’s notable about doing that?” he asked, smirking slightly. “It will certainly have the traditional powers, but the question is what else I can manage ti place within it? There are ways of strengthening the magic, which is what I’ve been doing, and other types of magic that can be attempted with it. It’s… hm. It’s rather like baking, I suppose would be the most mundane comparison to make. You could follow the recipe and make a perfectly acceptable cookie, or you could take the recipe and see how it can be improved upon. Some tastes will go together wonderfully, some will not, and some will go together to make an entirely new taste.” He indicated the sword. “I will be trying to make this quite as remarkable as I can… and often, that means that there will be… unforeseen reactions.”

He chuckled quietly, indicating her arrow. “Of course, then there are items like that where the magic being used is so unpredictable that you don’t know what you’ll get until you’ve tried it. Experiments have to be made sometime, after all.”

Arjay studied Lori, the sudden lack of cheerfulness, the weight that appeared on her shoulders, the age her eyes were showing that a girl of her years should most certainly not see. His lips twitched slightly, a little affectionate smile playing across his face as he leaned forward without a word, kissing her forehead, and then locking the sword in a cabinet on the wall. “Of course, my dear. Two days, you say? Very well. Come over here.” He held out his hand for her, taking hers firmly in its grip. Then, he cast his spell, the workshop, the entire hub seeming to melt away from them, and the more familiar world that she called home taking its place.

The elf coughed, looking around and making a face. “Sweet goddess… you breathe this air?”

@Eve
Marvel-MCU-2

88 Posts
7 Threads
Nyte

In a place where there were literal gods and monsters and magical decks of cards that could send you packing to a nasty dude in black, Lori figured it was pretty darn logical to grow worried when someone said a powerful being might come seeking after the power you were siphoning off of magical storms. Because yes, that could totally be a thing that could happen, and yes, she liked Arjay enough to worry about his well being. Hell, to fight beside him to protect his well being. So… Yeah, concern. Still, Lorelei wasn’t one to dwell on the bad. Arjay didn’t seem to upset or concerned himself, so she figured that if someone did come looking after the energy and power he was taking to use to enchant his sword that he’d call for help if he needed it. The guy didn’t seem foolhardy enough to try to go alone when he needed help, and he didn’t seem overly prideful, either. So she let it go, and instead asked about the sword.

When he said that he wanted the weapon, and it’s creation, to be noteable, Lori grinned. This was one of the reasons why she liked the elf; he was clever, and he was charismatic. She nodded, following his analogy, “Sort of like how everyone knows how to make spaghetti, but no one makes it as good as my dad. No idea what he puts in it, but it’s amazing, and I’ll probably spend a ton of time trying to replicate it now…” She laughed lightly, then grinned to Arjay, “Well, if anyone can make that sword awesome and unique, it’s you.” It wasn’t pure flattery; Arjay had made an impression on Lorelei the first time they’d met (and he’d made one on Steve, too, which might have colored her expectations and objectivity a bit) and she honestly felt the way she spoke. His magic was pretty amazing, which was why she came to him when she needed to go home.

Nodding, she looked at the arrow, “Yeah, but preferably those experiments will be made on people I don’t like so much.” After all, there would still be the unfortunate side effect of having an arrow hole in them!

She tried, so hard, not to dwell on what had happened. She was still dealing with it, still grieving, so it wasn’t easy, but she tried. The kiss to her forehead was unexpected, and earned a shyer smile and a softer laugh, not the cheerful bounce she usually possessed, but something a bit more worn, a little bit older. “Thank you.” She had to replace the arrow - she’d had to use it once, and you never knew what you might run into out there… Justin’s Hulk sounded… Not nice. And who was to say that there wasn’t a world out there where Hulk was completely evil? Nothing! Anything was possible! “Yes, I should be able to get the new arrow and visit with everyone in a couple of days.” When he reached out for her hand, she placed hers in his easily, no hesitation, trusting her elven friend.

She knew the forest where they appeared. Or… What was left of the forest, anyway. There were large patches of soil that seemed treeless at first until you looked and could see where trees had been replaced by saplings, interspersed with larger, mature trees where they could get them. She blinked and grinned, taking a deep breath and then making a face along with him, “It’s not all that bad up here, away from the city. Hub is a whole lot better, though…” She shook her head, “We don’t have so much magic here, and our technology is just starting to be better for the environment. We’re working on it, but we’re not there yet.” She smiled, “My uncle is at the leading edge of green tech, though.” She tugged his hand gently, “C’mon, I’ll show you the compound - it’s just down the road.”

@mike

272 Posts
18 Threads
Mike

“The fact that you think this isn’t bad makes me weep inside for the poor noses of your world,” Arjay teased. “But no matter. I’ve dealt with such worlds before. And now, my dear, I think that you should go, without the magic elf, and spend some time with your family. I’d really rather not intrude on the moment when you’re quite clearly in need of their focused attention. I’ll be along by and by, after I’ve looked into a few things. Besides… I always hear about how excellent the technology of your worlds are at keeping people safe. You really don’t expect me to hear a challenge like that without trying to make my own way in without being seen, now, do you?” He lifted the hand that was tugging his, kissed it, and then pulled away. “Go. As I said, I’ll be along. If their security is as good as people want to make me believe, perhaps I’ll even be along sooner than expected. I do believe that it’s high time someone found where your portal actually is, don’t you? But do feel free not to tell them I’m here, I think my time might be more amusing if they don’t know why I’m poking around, if they detect me.” As ever, the elf flashed her a mischievous smile.
@eve
Marvel-MCU-2

88 Posts
7 Threads
Nyte

Lori smiled at Arjay’s words; she knew there were worlds where the air was pristine. Worlds where humanity had embraced nature and worked with it even as technology advanced. She had been born into a world where the majority of pollution put into the air was the water vapor that steam power produced. But she had grown up here, in this world, and gotten used to the air here. And she knew that as much as Arjay teased her about the air here, the cities, New York, but especially LA, would be difficult for the elf, because heck, she had issues there sometimes!

She laughed when he implied he was going to try to get around technology’s defenses and nodded. “Okay,” she leaned to kiss his cheek, “Just be careful, okay? And if you do get yourself caught, you tell them you’re with me, please?” She grinned, “Or just tell them you’re with Freestyle of the Avengers. That’ll get you back to me.” She grinned, “Have fun, Arjay!” She didn’t warn him about Dr. Strange; that would ruin all the fun for both sides!

Then she headed to the compound that he’d be able to see down the way, half excited to be home for a visit, and half dreading having to tell Bruce what she’d done.

@mike

272 Posts
18 Threads
Mike

Finding Lori's portal actually did take Arjay quite a while longer than he'd expected. He didn't, after all, have anything super-convenient to use like a 'locate portal' spell, so he had to make do taking a long walk with a True Seeing spell active upon him, remembering what little bits Lori had told him about when she'd come into the Hub. Even if the portal wasn't fixed in place, it probably hadn't drifted that much, or at least he'd assumed that. So he'd ended up walking casually along the side of the road until he'd found it a small distance away, the outline of the portal clearly visible to his enspelled vision. Nodding in satisfaction, he drew out his sword, marking the area so that he could check it later and make sure it was still where he expected it to be.

That accomplished, Arjay found that he was bored. Arjay being Arjay, this probably wasn't the best thing for the situation.

The area began to experience very... unusual activity. The weather became somewhat eratic, beginning to rain, then stopping ten minutes later, then starting again ten minutes after that. There was lightning... before the clouds had formed and the rain had begun. The ground began to rumble in places (nothing that could be considered an earthquake, but still strange). Odd music was heard drifting through the empty air here and there. Finally, completely bored (and figuring that by now, if they'd detected his antics, Lori was probably watching with them and might be utterly amused at knowing what the cause of all this chaos was), he formed up a campfire near the edge of the woods in an area he judged safe, lit it, and let the fire's light carrying in the evening dimness, the flames inexplicably changing color every so often to unlikely shades like purple and green and blue. The elf watched from his invisible perch high in a tree, honestly hoping he wasn't interrupting her family time... but it had been a few hours. The part with all the hugging was more than likely over a while ago.

@eve
Marvel-MCU-2

88 Posts
7 Threads
Nyte

Walking back down the road to the compound wasn’t difficult. Entering the compound and walking down the lane that lead to the living quarters, that was easy. Getting all the way to the building without getting pounced on by her friends and teammates? Yeah, that was pretty much impossible.

A young woman in a flying suit of armor was the first to spot Lorelei, touching down just in front of the legacy Avenger and joining her. Two boys roughly her age joined the two girls shortly thereafter, and by the time Lori had navigated the distance to the building, her entire team had joined her, all of them talking excitedly, giving her half hugs and light shoves as they moved as a unit.

Seeing her friends again was good; Lori loved them terribly, and she missed them all while she was in Hub, not that she really wanted to give up the amazing city and the adventures she was having. Not that she wanted to leave her sexy doctor behind. Nope, that wasn’t going to happen any time soon.

Talking to Bruce, telling him that she’d had to put down a version of the Hulk? That had her crying quiet tears, eyes on her knees, unable to look up, to see the mixture of pain, horror, and relief on Bruce’s face. Pain because he realized that that could be him someday, ancient, miserable, needing the release of death. Horror because of all of the destruction the Hulk had had to have caused in that world, and because Lorelei had had to go there, to face it, see it, and do something she had hated having to do. And relief because it had worked, because one of the archers that Bruce trusted with his arrow, to do what might eventually need to be done, had swallowed the distaste, the pain and sorrow, and had put down the Hulk when it had needed to be done. To know that it could be done, would be done, if it became necessary was a relief to the man.

Lori hated it. She hated knowing that Bruce didn’t blame her, that he was grateful to know that she’d do what needed to be done if it ever came down to it. She wanted him to cry, wanted him to rant and shout, but he didn’t. Of course he didn’t, he wouldn’t risk raising his blood pressure that way.

She visited with her parents, shared stories with the older (mostly retired now) Avengers, and received a tune-up on her leg from her uncle, who complained more or less nonstop about her visiting a younger version of him for help with the leg while she was in Hub. “I know, I know, I could come back, but I don’t want to be a bother to my friend who sends me and brings me back, Uncle Tony. Besides, I think he and I have been taking pretty good care of it, don’t you?” She was laughing at her uncle’s face when the thunder cracked.

Thor appeared in the doorway, his face a mask of concern. Yeah, no, that wasn’t natural thunder, and it wasn’t the work of their local thunder god, either. “Arjay.” Lori grinned to her family, her team, and shrugged, “He’s a magic user.” And an elf.

Lori reappeared in the street on a motorcycle, sitting on it and watching the fire for a few minutes before she looked around, calling out for her friend, “Arjay? It’s sort of hard not to detect you when you’re making a big ruckus like this, you know.”

@mike

272 Posts
18 Threads
Mike

The elf was, at the moment, lounging in the bough of a tree. While it might require magical power to change the weather and make the enspelled fires and other various magical cries for attention, they didn’t exactly require a lot of physical exertion from him. All it required was patience… well, if ‘patience’ involved letting out claps of magic thunder with a slash of his hand every so often when no one was still curious about what was going on.

The elf smiled mischievously down at Lori. “Well, there’s nothing for people to try to find if everything is normal. I could sit out here for days and not be noticed, and what fun is that?” He stood up, leaning against the trunk of the tree, staring down at her in obvious disappointment. “Still, they sent you out? That’s disappointing. Studying your world, something like this is supposed to draw out someone powerful, lead to an easy misunderstanding that causes a fight, and eventually lead to some sort of friendly drunken debauchery. I hardly want to attack you, and you haven’t seemed very eager to be debauched, so I take it that your friends decided I’m not worth playing with, hmm? I suppose I could make the weather more violent, but I had wanted to be nice…”
@eve
Marvel-MCU-2

88 Posts
7 Threads
Nyte

Okay, so really, let’s face it, in a world where the Avengers were together, facing off against villains and alien invasions and the like, an elf making thunder and a bonfire wasn’t something that was going to set the heroes on high alert. It could be so much worse; Arjay could have… Well, Lori knew the elf well enough to be pretty sure he wouldn’t do something really bad.

“They didn’t send me, I came out here to find out what you were doing out here.” She smiled up at him, though the smile faded slightly as she heard his disappointment, and shook her head, “Something like this is… Honestly, Arjay, you’re no Doctor Doom or Ultron. And that’s a compliment.” You didn’t really want to be someone the Avengers booked it get face off with. She giggled at his words for a moment before her face went serious and she brought her comms online, her voice calm and even as she spoke, “Oh no, help.”

She looked up at Arjay, winked, and then turned to look up into the sky, where a large man came into view, holding a hammer out in front of him. On the ground was a motorcycle not entirely unlike Lori’s, carrying two men, one of which held a bow that looked much like Lorelei’s own. “Just don’t hurt any of them, okay? They’re my family.”

272 Posts
18 Threads
Mike

Really, Arjay had just been bored and in a mood to complain. Randomly picking a fight with some particular group wasn't something he'd made a habit of since that time outside Shadowdale during the Zhent occupation... but then, this sort of world had a reputation, and he was a bard, he knew how the narative went. When Lori sent in a fake call, though, a slow smile spread over the elf's face. "Naughty naughty," he chided her. "You're going to have quite a bit of explaining to do later, I think..."

When she said that they were family, he had good reason to take her very literally in a couple cases. One of the men pulling up was armed just like her, too closely for it to be coincidence, and he was riding the same metal horse as another man, and Arjay wasn't fool enough to not be able to tell the boundaries that arrangement crossed. Very well, no hurting her family. It was a pity there were two of them down here, it meant he had to choose his spells carefully, lest he enchant them and lead to them hurting each other. He fixed his eyes on them, and let power fill his voice. "FLEE," he Commanded them, and when only one of them ran, he sent a stronger spell at the one that remained, immobilizing him.

Then, scooping Lori up, he flitted into the air, gaining himself some distance from Phil and Clint, and drawing Thor away as well (him being the one who truly looked like he'd make for a fight the elf might not be able to win). "Well, this is bracing," he teased Lori from where he held her slung over his shoulder. "Now you're helping me make a bad impression on your family. I'm proud of you," he teased. Judging they'd gone far enough (and that he needed to be able to dodge Thor), he cast a quick spell, gave her backside a playful slap, then tossed her aside, where she floated lazily down toward the ground and away from Arjay as he brought up his sword, blocking a blow from Thor's hammer with his sword.

The sky was suddenly alight with lightning and the air cracking with thunder. The two parried each other's strikes in the air over and over, each ringing out loudly with the clanging of stone on steel. At least twice Arjay vanished in the air, reappearing behind Thor and hurling beams of ice or balls of fire at him, twice more he caught bolts of lightning from Thor that sent him spinning off course and in danger of being hit by a blow from Mjolnir. Finally, both fo them disappeared into a thick black magical stormcloud which raged around them, obscuring them for a suspiciously long time, steel-on-stone still ringing out. Finally, two separate bolts of lightning streaked down into the Storm of Vengeance, sending both combatants reeling to the ground after a deafening boom of thunder that shook the ground where all the watchers stood.

"Now that is the sort of fight that I'd been told I could only find on a world like this," the battered, but still cheerful, elf declared as he sheathed his bloodless sword.

@eve
Marvel-MCU-2

88 Posts
7 Threads
Nyte

Alright, so Arjay wanted a (hopefully fairly friendly) bout with the Avengers or at least some of them. She knew that those in the compound, her parents, her Asgardian uncle, and some of the younger team members like herself would be less all-in against a single combatant than, say, Iron Man or Captain America. Besides, Hub had both of them, younger versions even, so they wouldn’t be new to Arjay.

She knew immediately who had responded to her call for ‘help’. Her parents and her uncle. She was more than a little bit surprised that at least Peter hadn’t come as well, but it was also possible that he wasn’t at the compound tonight. She’d spent the majority of her time with her parents and Bruce, after all.

When her father went scrambling away, Lori wondered if he’d forgive her. To be sent scurrying like that when he thought his daughter was in danger… Her father stayed and was immediately rooted in place for his strength of will, but she knew he would forgive her. After a lengthy lecture probably, especially with how quickly Clint had booked it out of there, but she’d take it. She giggled softly when Arjay manhandled her, “They’ll forgive me for the false alarm. Or at least, Thor and Papa will.” She looked out over where her dad had gone running, “My dad might take longer to forgive me.” She didn’t sound too worried, though; this wasn’t the first prank she’d ever pulled on her family, though it was the first with a magic user.

When Thor and Arjay met in the air, Lori looked up and watched. As she fell, she watched. After she had landed on the ground, she looked up, eyes following as best as she was able, mouth drawing into a line as she focused, hoping that neither Arjay nor Thor would get too hurt; she loved Thor, he was family, and Arjay was a good friend. She wouldn’t want either of them injured, especially seeing as this wasn’t even meant to be a real fight as much as it was meant to be a surprise spar.

After a few moments, though, Lori took her eyes off of the sky to move to her papa, kissing him on the cheek and reassuring him there was no danger, that Arjay was a friend and the spell wouldn’t last forever (she promised), and then going out to find and collect her dad, who she hoped wasn’t still running. He wasn’t; Clint nearly bowled into her, he was running back so fast, darting through the trees. She turned to come back to the fire so her parents could be reunited.

Grinning like a Cheshire cat to Arjay, “So, less disappointed?” After he answered, she tipped her head toward Phil, who was still stuck in place, “Could you maybe..?”

@mike

272 Posts
18 Threads
Mike

Arjay was, all things considered, impressed with Lori’s ‘uncle.’ He might not be a god as Arjay knew it, but he was definitely more dangerous than a mortal could manage to be in Arjay’s experience. It gave Arjay some ideas for continuing the sword he was enchanting, but that was a matter for later. The battle had concluded, and (as far as anyone on the outside would ever be able to tell), the two had fought themselves into a stalemate. Now… did Arjay think that outside a direct fight, he might have quite a few advantages over the other man? Yes, he did, but that wasn’t what he was here for.

“You may consider me satisfied, yes,” he confirmed for Lori. He was, though, a bit surprised to see Phil still held in place, though it didn’t show on his face. This was one aspect of the power Sune had granted him that he hadn’t gotten used to yet: the sheer potency of his magic now. In his days adventuring in Faerun, he would have expected the spell to have worn off sometime before now, but here the man was, obviously no weak-willed person, but still held in place.

“Of course,” Arjay said. “Now that I’ve proven myself and can claim your hand in marriage by rite of victory as recognized by the accords between my people and humans, I can oh nevermind, I can’t make up rubbish like this and maintain a straight face at the same time.” With a gesture and a slight pressure of will, Arjay dismissed the spell, then bowed toward her fathers. “Fair evening to you both. My name is Arjay Lo’Ran.” Even the storm seemed to be beginning to ease up now that Arjay’s boredom was over.
@eve
Marvel-MCU-2

88 Posts
7 Threads
Nyte

Lorelei Coulson Barton loved her family. She adored her parents, she respected her uncles, and she was proud of all of them. Proud to be with them, of them, to be an Avenger. She also knew that Arjay was an elf with a huge amount of power, one backed up by a goddess, and as powerful as Thor was… She had worried about her Asgardian uncle. Not that she thought Arjay would purposely do real harm to her uncle, he was a good person and Lori had trusted him enough to send out the call for help after all.

Lori smiled to Arjay, nodding at his affirmation that yes, he was satisfied. Good. Because while she knew she could call in the rest of the Avengers, she had hoped to avoid a full on clash between Arjay and her family.

She asked him to release her papa from his hold because she knew that her father would only get angry if he left him like this. Arjay, of course, chose to be playful, and Lori was shaking from trying not to laugh even as he let Phil Coulson go from his magic once her other father had joined them again.

For his part, Thor was downright jolly about the ‘spar’ as he called it, even if Clint seemed a little bit frustrated as he asked his daughter, “This is the friend who sends you back here from over there?” Phil chuckled dryly, fixing his tie as he asked Clint, “Because we’ve ever been able to dictate who her friends were?” Lori just grinned at them, and waved Arjay to come with them as they slowly turned to head back to the compound that was their home. “Welcome to join us.”

@mike