Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

All Accounts Posts: 301
Steve gives Natasha an appreciative glance. It's nice to know she had trust in his skills, but it was also good that Bucky had brought money. He hadn't been thrilled with the idea of using Mr. Stark's money for this adventure.

Steve gives Justin a wry grin, "no offense, but I think capturing Captain America will open more door for us. Everybody knows that I'm out of the ice by now and I've already dealt with a few assassination attempts. It wouldn't be shocking if I were captured."

Steve clasps him on the back, "Natasha and Bucky are going to do the talking, just stay quiet and follow their lead. We'll go in together, once inside, Natasha you break off and look for Bucky while most of the guards will busy with me. Once you find him, getting him out is your top priority. Bucky, Justin, and I can get out on our own."
Marvel-MCU

103 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Superhero?
Ship Status: Soviet Spouses
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 779
Bucky gave a long suffering sigh at Nat's reply. "He also didn't specify that I should bring bullets, but it seemed common sense to bring them anyways." He retorted, bumping his shoulder into hers, though he squeezed her hand slightly to make it clear he was mostly teasing. "Nothing wrong with trusting someone- and nothing wrong with bringing extra things just in case."

Bucky was hesitant to go with Steve's idea- and most of that came from the fact that he was suggesting that Natasha go alone. It wasn't that Bucky doubted Natasha's abilities- he had experienced similar ones first hand- but for any of them to go alone... And particularly the one who he sort of cared for- though Bucky was hesitant to name what their relationship was at that point.

Still, he held back that concern- wanting to not be 'that guy'. If Nat was prepared for it, Bucky wasn't going to stand in her way. Or at least- he did hold it back, until something occurred to him. "Not that I don't think your plan has merit, but if we're focused on getting Bucky out, perhaps we should send the person with the highest mobility- which, correct me if I'm wrong, but Justin can fly, right?" Bucky replied, parsing more awkward than he had hoped for.

"And also this is why I insist on calling people by different names. Because you said Bucky several times, and I'm only mostly confident which one you were referring to." He said, turning to direct the comment at Steve. "I don't care who, but can we please refer to either Bucky or myself by Barnes or something for the time being?"
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 909
"Just like you also packed some sandwiches and an extra sweater." Natasha teased back with fond exasperation. Yasha's desire to take care of anyone and everyone who crossed his path wasn't a bad thing, but at times it could be a bit much. Like now, when he was second guessing Cap's plan because it put his best girl in danger.

"I think Cap has made the right call." Natasha replied "Considering that I speak Russian, and I've dealt with the Winter Soldier before. I'll be ok. If we're going to split us up, it makes the most sense to have either you or me go after Bucky, and I'm less likely to cause him to freak out or go into a fugue state." moving on to other topics, she added "You've got a good point about the names, though. For now, lets call the guy we're going to rescue Bucky and he" she pointed to the man sitting next to her "is Yasha. Or Nat's boyfriend, if Yasha is too hard to pronounce." unlike Bucky, she had no hesitation or compunction about labeling their relationship, and if he had a problem, well, that was a topic for later discussion.
Marvel Comics-616-ish

148 Posts
3 Threads
Job: Superhero/Doctor
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 812
Justin had never felt such a surge of appreciation for Bucky as when he suggested just making this a frontal assault. “Wait, so we’re not doing some black ops, try to blend in and sneak him out thing? We’re just going to storm the place with guns blazing? Yes. A thousand times yes, please, let’s do it like that.” Sure, he only had his one gun… but if they attacked, he was, as Bucky pointed out, the flier, and the Russians would all be packing guns that he could assemble and use in his sleep. “God, this is the part that I hate about no one actually remembering me. I can tell you that I can give their whole base a hobby for a good hour, maybe longer if they decide they want to scramble air support, but you don’t have any reference to really believe me until you see it. You want me outside, at least for a good while. I’m great in an open space, get me in a hallway and that gets cut in half… so how about this. I get everyone’s attention, make a scene to draw them away, then Nat and Nat’s boyfriend go in and do their thing while they’re trying to shoot me down.” He looked at Steve. “You can either help me with the distraction, or you can storm the gates with them. I can think of benefits either way.”
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

"we are not going in guns blazing. There are four of us against a well armed base deep in enemy territory where they can call for backup and we can't. All it takes is one lucky shot to put us in some real hot water," Steve says, "Justin, your flying is useful, especially when we make our escape, but it will be better to get as far as we can with this mission before calling attention to ourselves."

"And I trust that Natasha can handle splitting off on her own. I wouldn't ask her to do it if I didn't." He adds. Though he's yet to see Natasha in action everything about her screams professional and highly capable. And though he desperately would prefer to be the one to actually pull Bucky out of there, she made the most sense.

"Yasha is good. That's how we'll tell you apart. It will also probably help keep Bucky calm if we call him by his name." Steve says.
Marvel-MCU

103 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky shook his head with a chuckle. "Every now and then you seem so like my Steve that I can't tell the difference. And then you say things like that, and I can't tell how you could be the same person. My Steve walked into a base, alone, with only a decorative shield for defense to come save me. I can't tell you from personal experience how subtle he was, but it did end with the base blowing up behind us, and he did let out literally every other soldier as well." Bucky offered with a nostalgic smile.

Bucky nodded with a sigh at the explanation. "Yes. I suppose if subtly is the goal- not one I think is likely to coincide with getting the winter soldier out of there- Nat is the best choice. So the question is, do you know all of the trigger words? Should I make a list?" He offered with a shrug of his shoulders. "If you need to calm him down, I'd rather you knew how to shut him off, and it's the best guess any of us have." He paused and smirked as he pulled a sandwich from his bag and just chewed at it, not saying a word about it, but confident that she'd notice her assumption was correct.

The next words had him swallowing around the food- coughing a little as it went down the wrong pipe. His cheeks went red- and that was only partially because he had choked. Partly he wanted to admonish her for telling them to call him Yasha- since he kind of liked that she was the only one who called him that- but mostly he was focused on the other name she had called him.

Oh he wanted to let her know exactly how he felt about those words- but then, they were in front of others. So instead, Bucky leaned in to just short of her ear to growl a reply. "You're really testing my restraint, doll." He offered, dropping her hand in favour of grabbing her ass. Task completed, he turned back to the other two, face once again calm.

Bucky did wince at Steve's comment. "Er. That uh, isn't strictly true. He'll probably be the least confused if we call him the winter soldier- but my response to Steve saying my name was something along the lines of 'who the hell is Bucky?' so. Might not calm so much as disturb. Still shouldn't call me Bucky in front of him- since it'll no doubt be a trigger word, but maybe wait until we're safely away to start trying to prod his memory?"
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"You should give me a list." Natasha replied "I know all of the ones that James had in my universe, but there isn't any way of being sure that the trigger words are the same. Getting your list would help me figure that out. Or give me a new set to try out, at least." There was no way of knowing if there would be enough overlap to make a difference, but everything about this mission was a series of risks. She couldn't help but quirk a little smile when Yasha proved her right by pulling out a sandwich, then let out a snort of amusement when he broke it in half and handed it to her. She accepted it, of course. On a mission like this, you never knew what or how often you'd get to eat, and she wasn't going to turn down food.

Apparently calling him her boyfriend had met with his approval, a fact that made her feel more optimistic about the mission. Black Widow might not care about anything but the mission, but Natasha had found that having something waiting for you at the end of a mission gave you that extra little push that could make the difference between success and failure.

"We'll play that one by ear." Natasha said "He won't be as deep into his conditioning as you were, it might take less to snap him out, at least temporarily."
Marvel Comics-616-ish

148 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

Damn it. For one beautiful, uplifting moment, Justin had seen this mission turning his way, playing to his strengths, giving him a chance to play a major part. Then, naturally, that feeling was smacked down again as the idea was rejected. It was time to be a sidekick again, looked like. “Well, it’s a military base against four Avengers. Pretty sure that puts the odds in our favor,” he said with reasonable optimism. After all, numbers didn’t exactly intimidate him like the would have once upon a time, not when he was with the present company.

He had no idea what ‘Yasha’ meant, so Justin had no intention of using that name. And, judging from Bucky’s reaction, the second suggestion was pretty spot on. “Hey, Nat?” he said, unable to resist. “Remind your boy toy that we’re in the sixties. Don’t want him making a scene and scandalizing the locals.” He shot a smirk back at them, but otherwise kept on task. “When it comes down to it, take him down and then leave disabling him to me, if nothing else works. I’ve got a neural scrambler that should even keep a super soldier asleep, and it’s got enough battery life to keep running until we can get back to the portal.” Tranquilizers, after all, were notoriously short-lived on some versions of the super-soldiers, so Justin had decided to completely forego those in favor of tech. Yes, he’d left his high tech weapons at home, but this was a subtle device, which wouldn’t really show up on camera even if they were filmed and made the news (which oh god, he hoped they weren’t).
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve gives Bucky - Yasha - a small smile. "I did a lot of stupid things during the war. I'd like to think I've learned a few things over the years though."

He's a grown man, Steve reminds himself as Yasha leans over to whisper something in Natasha's ear after the boyfriend comment. He's not an awkward teen just figuring out girls for the first time. Back in the day, Natasha is exactly the type of woman Bucky would have practiced his new found flirting skills on. It probably would have either earned him a pat on the head or a slap on the face, depending on how tolerant she was of scrawny seventeen year olds with attitudes the size of New York.

"The neural scrambler won't hurt him, right?" Steve asks Justin. Steve understands that they have to do what they have to do to get a possibility uncooperative Bucky out, but if they hurt him and he lashes out at them, that might only make things worse.
Marvel-MCU

103 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky snorted when Justin reiterated Bucky's feelings about storming the place- Bucky may have been an assassin- but he could appreciate a forwards approach. He rolled his eyes at Steve. "And yet the first time we spoke, you were defending those fighting tactics." He drawled with a near smirk.

Bucky then made a face at Justin and moved his arm up to wrap around Nat's waist- whether he liked it or not, it was true that he had to behave appropriately for the era. He finished off his sandwich while Steve spoke. "I think the only worry there is getting it on him. It's a device that goes on the head, right?" Bucky asked while taking out a piece of paper- he had to drop his arm again to take a pen and write out the list of words before handing it to his girlfriend.
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"Nah, its the sixties." Natasha replied, grinning at Justin "This is the decade where they finally invented sex." she took the list of words that her boyfriend had written out and studied it intently while Steve and the rest of them figured out the next move.
Marvel Comics-616-ish

148 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

Justin smirked at Nat’s answer, and was rather pleased that he didn’t seem to have touched off any pissiness from Bucky. That meant he could just see how much farther he could push… but not right now. They had to figure the mission out, and for once, he was actually relevant to it. “It goes on the head or on the spine, but yes, it works better on the head and best at the base of the skull. It’s not hard to get on. If he can be held still by three people for three seconds, it’s all over. And no,” he added, looking at Steve, “It doesn’t hurt. Keeps him unconscious while it’s active, prevents any kind of cognitive processing, so he won’t remember any of it, but no pain, no feedback. Only side effect is that he’ll probably be disoriented for a while after it’s turned off. Longer it’s on, the longer it takes for everything to get back in order, but this has got a battery life to worry about. He’d be fine in twenty four hours, tops.”
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve matches Bucky's smirk. "I'm not saying storming a base doesn't have it's place occasionally."

Steve listens to Justin's explanation. It's a relief to know that it isn't going to hurt Bucky, it does open up a new problem.

"It knocks him out completely?" He asks. He looks at Natasha. She's strong, much stronger than one would expect for someone her size, but Steve is pretty sure she's-not-carry-an-unconscious-200-pound-man-out-of-a-hostile-environment-on-her-own strong.

"Justin, would you be able to fly him out of there after knocking him out? And Natasha if Just in flies him out, can you get out on your own?" Steve asks.
Marvel-MCU

103 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky rolled his eyes at Steve- comfortable that it would say more than enough without needing words to drive home the point.

"Still implies we'd need all of us in the area to get it on him wouldn't it?" Bucky added, feeling more than a bit confused about the process. "Three to hold him down, one to put it in place?" He elaborated, wondering if he had somehow missed how they were getting around that one. "Nat's incredible, but if memory serves me right, at least my world's Natashe never managed to pin the winter soldier for two seconds, let alone three and get a device on him. Because other enemies cave at the threat of physical damage- the state of being the Winter Soldier..." Bucky sighed slightly. "It's something akin to a computer, there's no rational intelligence behind it, directing the body's movements. All I could think of in that state was the mission. It didn't matter if Bucky survived. Only that Winter Soldier completed the mission."

Bucky gave Nat a small squeeze around her waist, mainly for his own comfort, to have someone warm and pressed against his side made it a little easier to think about all the things that he had been used to do.
Marvel Comics-616-ish

148 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

@Becky @alexmoonbeam @katie

“Completely, yes. Fighting the Winter Soldier is a no-win situation. He’s got no problems with killing us, it’s what he’ll be trying to do. Best solution is to surround him, dogpile him, and put this on him while everyone else’s body weight keeps him in place. Of course, to do that, we’re going to have to take care of a pile of Soviet goons that are around him…” Justin shrugged. There was no good answer here, and most of it, they were probably going to have to wing at the last minute. He still liked the idea of holding off the base airborn outside while they took on Bucky without his backups, but he couldn’t blame Steve for not being down with the plan.

“So... we take him down, then steal one of their planes out of there, I guess? How much clearance can you get us flying back to America in a stolen Soviet plane?” He was making a lot of assumptions there, of course… one of them being that they couldn’t get an unconscious man with future-tech on his skull and a bionic arm onto a commercial flight back. If they had to make a crazy crash landing and a run for the portal… well, he wasn’t worried. They were Avengers, crazy shit like that was just what they did.
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

@"Justin Halloway" @"Natalia Romanova" @"James Barnes (MCU-1)"

"Getting all of us to Bucky will be a problem," Steve says, "I don't want to turn this into a night mission, but that may be the safest way. Less people in the compound at night."

Steve pushes his hair back from his face, thinking. They can go in at night, he could cause enough of a distraction for them to sneak in. Once inside he is trusting that Yasha and Natasha will have enough experience to know where Bucky is being kept. Once Bucky is secured Justin can fly him out while Yasha, Natasha, and himself provide them with cover. It's not the best plan he's ever come up with, but he's optimistic about it.

"Well, I've never tested my clearance level but just after I woke up the president told me I had the highest clearance possible, so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind me coming back in a Soviet plane." Steve says.
Marvel-MCU

103 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky shrugged and cracked his neck easily and focused on making plans for infiltration. He knew the layout of the building he had been kept in well enough- but as was made clear to him- this other Bucky was being held by the soviet instead of by Hydra.

To be honest, Bucky was a little jealous. The Soviet weren't necessarily good people- but at least they were less inherently evil than Hydra was. He did offer a noise of agreement to Steve. "Hm. Yeah, Natasha and I both have 'quiet' pretty well practiced. Presumably if Justin floats, he won't make too much noise. Night might be best."

He did perk up at the mention of a soviet plane. "I haven't been flying in a while, but I'm still pretty practiced so hijacking a plane should be pretty easy."

@katie @becky @mike

I'm so sorry that it took me a literal month to get this reply out.