Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

All Accounts Posts: 301
Steve is nervous, more nervous than he's been in years. But there's an undercurrent of excitement. It's finally time to rescue Bucky. He just got the news from Friday that everything is set. Now the only thing he is waiting for is for the others to arrive. Although part of him wants to rescue Bucky on his own, after all he's his partner and this his responsibility, the tactician in him knows that for a mission like this he is going to need a team. And considering the short notice he had to form this team, he's very proud of what he's managed to pull together.

He paces back and forth, barely refraining from checking his watch for the third time in as many minutes. Thoughts of what tortures Bucky may be experiencing only make him pace faster.

He hears footsteps approaching and perks up eagerly.
Marvel-MCU

105 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Superhero?
Ship Status: Soviet Spouses
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 835
Bucky had his mask in hand as he approached the meeting place- he was more than content to walk quietly with Nat at his side- but the idea of donning the winter soldier's mask was not something he faced lightly. He knew it was for the best- if he had been rescued by a near clone, he would have freaked, so it was the least he could do to cover his identity. Thus far nothing had been too bad seeing as he had had the pleasure of picking up the beautiful redhead walking beside him at her place. Bucky offered his companion a smile right before they arrived- and he turned his attention to the variant of his best friend pacing at the meet up.

"Steve." He offered in greeting, nodding briefly at the other man. "Who all are we waiting for?" He asked calmly as he checked over his equipment one last time.
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 922
Natasha followed Bucky into the room, already dressed for the mission, weapons checked and cleaned. She knew that putting the Winter Soldier's mask back on would bother him, and she gave his hand a little squeeze of comfort before she started laying out her gear for one last check before they left. "Cap. This is Bucky, I but I take it you two have met already." she said, giving the other man a nod of greeting"I think we're just waiting on Justin, then we'll be ready to head out, right?"
Marvel Comics-616-ish

158 Posts
3 Threads
Job: Superhero/Doctor
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 855
Justin felt seriously under-geared for this mission, but there was no way around it. They were going back to the sixties, and at that point, there wasn’t a Tony Stark to justify the high tech weapons and medical scanner he usually carried. He had settled instead for a pistol that he’d been assured was era-appropriate, although at this point he hoped he didn’t need to use it. His cape was in place as well, he wasn’t going to let himself be grounded for this mission when flying was the one advantage he usually had in a fight. He was also unmasked as he came in, though, and wasn’t even really sure if he needed to wear the mask. He was going to a time before he’d been born, after all. There wasn’t a him to be recognized there.

He paused for a moment when he saw the assembled group in the room his eyes fixing on Bucky with a cocked eyebrow. “Not that another hand wouldn’t be good to have, but you don’t think that coming face to face with ‘himself’ might unhinge your Bucky?” he asked, glancing at Steve. It wasn’t like Barnes wasn’t a good backup to have, after all. The guy had gone head to head with some of the nastiest things they’d come across, he’d certainly been set on trying to be worthy of carrying that shield. He’d heard the reports of pre-deprogramming Bucky’s borderline insanity, though, and he had to worry a little.
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

One by one the team assembles. He nods to each of them as they enter. Between strategizing and worrying about Bucky, Steve had been trying to come up with what he would say to them at the start of the mission. He wanted something inspiring and heroic, that would put any of their worries about following him at ease. But at the end of the day all he could think to say was 'thank you.' Nobody here except him needed to be a part of this. All were risking their lives for a boy they didn't even know. Even Bucky didn't really have an obligation to himself from another universe.

Before he can say anything, Justin notices Bucky and points out his concerns. Steve looks Bucky over from the tense lines of his shoulders to the mask clutched in his hand.

"We have that covered," Steve says, "besides he knows better than anybody what we're up against. We need him."

Steve stands in front of his little team. The portal that Friday was kind enough to open swirls behind him. It takes all of his self restraint not to jump through. He can't. Not yet.

"This mission is going to be dangerous, I'm not going to sugar-coat it. I have faith in everyone of you, but if anybody feels that I am asking too much, you can leave. Nobody will judge you for it. Once we pass through the portal it will be too late to turn around and the mission is done," Steve says. He has to offer them this; one final chance to walk away before the mission begins.
Marvel-MCU

105 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky ducked a sullen acknowledgement to Justin's question- opening his mouth to reply when Steve stepped up in his defense. That did help set him at ease and he nodded in appreciation for the other man. He was still loathed to put on the mask- right until Nat squeezed his hand for comfort and then he couldn't put it on fast enough to hide the small grin that placed itself squarely on his lips. Still, he kissed her hand before letting go and checking the last of his gear again.

The goggles went on next before Bucky finally ducked his head at Justin again. "I figured as much. He might still be curious why Hydra is rescuing him- from Hydra- but I don't exactly have another mask." He moved to stand at attention- though not before he added another comment. "Besides- I know what my activation codes were- if we're lucky, this variant of me will have the same ones and we can use that to order him to stand down."

Shutting down what little emotion he processed at the best of time, he held his position while Steve spoke. "Not one of us would be here if we didn't plan on going through with it. And I would do anything to have a shot at deprogramming so soon- Can't undo what I did- but maybe we can prevent some of it in your world.""
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

Natasha gave Justin a nod of greeting when he stepped inside the room, but kept her mouth shut when Justin asked about having Bucky as part of the mission to rescue Bucky-both because Justin had a valid point, and because Yasha was more than capable of addressing that point, and because she wasn't going to throw off the mission dynamics by jumping in to back up her boyfriend. That would be unprofessional, and Natasha cared about being professional. Which didn't stop her from smiling a little when Bucky kissed her hand before he put on his mask.

It did mean, though that as Steve spoke, Natasha went firmly into the background, and Black Widow came to the fore. "We knew the deal when we agreed to come." she replied "You're not talking us out of it."
Marvel Comics-616-ish

158 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

Well, when they were right, they were right, Justin couldn’t deny that one. Who could best tell them what Bucky was going through? Probably another Bucky. Idly, he had to wonder what they were going to do with this Bucky once they’d saved him… but then, he supposed that was a question for later. “From the Soviets, not Hydra,” he said, idly. That would be a fucked twist, wouldn’t it? Being trained by Hydra? But no, he’d been over this one with Steve a few times already, although apparently this Bucky had gotten the full Red Skull version of the training, which… wow.

And, of course, it was just like Steve to think that they needed a chance to back out of this. “What they said,” he said, jerking his head at Nat and Bucky. “Of course this is dangerous. If it wasn’t dangerous, you wouldn’t need us.” And there was a chilling thought. This was a Cap who hadn’t really seen how the world had progressed since he was frozen. There were brutal threats that he might not have any experience with now, and Winter Soldier was one of them. Hell, looking at it like that, he might need the three of them along. “And it’s not getting any less dangerous. Let’s roll out.”
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve can't help beaming at them all. " Thank you" he says simply.
At the flip of a switch the portal whirls to life. Adjusting the strap of his shield once more Steve takes a step forward.

"The portal should drop us off in Brooklyn only moments after I first left for the Hub." Steve says, "while there we're going to want to try to keep a low profile. We don't want to draw the attention of the Avengers or anyone else. That will only make things more complicated."

That said, Steve steps through the portal.
Marvel-MCU

105 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky rubbed his forehead before taking his mask back off. "Right- well, I don't really think that this is going to fit in in 60's Brooklyn." He grumbled- because it meant that he was going to have to put it on again. He tucked it into the messenger bag he was packing, and started tucking his guns into his waist band and under his jacket- the larger ones he put into his bag. "Nor do I think it's exactly subtle, does anyone know where I can get a scarf or something?"

Bucky would have to stop whining- though he was also hoping that Justin would stop poking at him now that he had a satisfactory answer.

He follows Steve through the portal with a small smile at the beautiful woman who was not only letting her sleep with him, but was also ready to fight for someone she had never met before. Then, like she had, he turned towards their mission, and let his features harden into that of the Winter Soldier, his mouth flattening with the transition.
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

Black Widow reached into a pocket of the bag she carried and silently handed the Winter Soldier the scarf he needed. As of now, she was focused on the mission. All that she cared about, all she thought about would be their objective. That didn't mean that she was devoid of emotion. This wasn't the Steve Roger's she'd known, and Yasha wasn't the man she'd fought beside so many times before, but this was closer than she'd ever thought she'd come to fighting alongside those two men, and that made her heart swell with a feral joy.

The mission would be difficult, and dangerous, but none of that mattered as she stepped through the portal.
Marvel Comics-616-ish

158 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

No attention. Right. Justin shifted the long coat he was wearing to hide the cape, shaking it a little to try to make the too-many layers of cloth feel right on his back. It would be nice if he could say that hey, the Avengers could deal with time travelers, but he knew that was a lie. They came in saying they were time travelers, it’d just start a whole big fight over what to do about the things they knew, and that would just waste time. Justin hated wasting time, particularly when they could just just fall back on not giving a damn about if the Avengers of that time would object.

And, of course, not wanting this dire mood to settle in much further, Justin started reflecting on the fact that, apparently, they could just pop into other worlds whenever they wanted, which would let them visit other times, too. He hadn’t ever really given that a lot of thought, but now he did. “What year’s it going to be?” he asked. “I always wondered what the Sixties were like… maybe once this is done we can catch a Stones concert before we come back.” After all… what was the rush, as long as the mission was over?
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve steps out of the portal and feels a slight breeze. It's a beautiful spring day in 1962. Steve breathes deeply. There's a tightness in his chest. He's that much closer to his time period and more importantly that much closer to Bucky.

He waits for the others to step through. When the do, Steve takes the lead.

"So, we know that Bucky was captured by the Soviets and based on my research he was moved from Moscow to a lab in Kiev around this time. We'll start looking for him there," Steve says.
Marvel-MCU

105 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Bucky made a desperate attempt to force his mind back when Steve confirmed that they'd be travelling to Kiev before anything happened. But those efforts were completely ineffectual- The winter soldier was at the wheel now.

The soldier clenched his hands in an attempt to not reach for gun- it was uncomfortable to hold himself back, but the living weapon felt far more comfortable with a firearm in his hands. For something to do, he neatly arranged the scarf that the black widow had handed him, covering the majority of his face, grateful that such a thing was still appropriate for the weather. (He may have drawn even more attention if he were wearing a scarf in summer.)

He tucked his metal hand in his pocket to hide it's composition, before reaching out to take the Black Widow's hand. Low profile meant blending in, and walking like you were looking for a fight around every corner did not blend in. He gave a brief grunt in reply to Steve's statement.
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

Natasha took his hand, Black Widow sliding into the background as she realized that they were in New York, and that it would be a while before they were fighting. She hoped so, anyway. "So first stop is the airport. Lucky for us, they won't start screening bags for another decade, so getting our gear through won't be a problem, and I can get by in Ukranian-most of the people there will speak Russian anyway. So we should be fine." she glanced at Captain America "Unless you want to try to get help from the Avengers here and now. Of course, they might object to us messing with their timeline."
Marvel Comics-616-ish

158 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

Justin, in the meantime, wasn't quite sure of a few of the details for this mission. It wasn't an official Avengers mission- hell, here? They weren't even officially Avengers. So they didn't have the resources that they were accustomed to having, including (and Justin hated admitting this) Stark funding and resources. "How are we going to get tickets? We have sixties-era money handy?" His credit cards wouldn't even be invented for years. He could probably fake his way through getting into the family bank accounts, though... Grandpa wouldn't even notice a few hundred dollars vanishing. Hell, how much did plane tickets cost right now? He supposed that would actually be kind of nice... having some sort of usefulness to this aside from being able to hit things. His Russian was crap, and while he might not admit it in front of Tony, being a doctor didn't make him a psychologist.
Marvel-616 Universe

265 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve tries to give Bucky a reassuring look. He knows how difficult this mission must be for and he's grateful that the man is willing to march back into his worst nightmares on his behalf.

"No, the less the Avengers know the better. I don't want to risk a fight with them." Steve says firmly. "As for how we are going to afford the tickets, I do have a plan for that. Mr. Stark was kind enough to give me access to some of his funds until the government gives me my backpay from the army. We'll use that. I doubt Mr. Stark will notice a few hundred dollars missing and I will pay him back later anyway."

With that Steve begins leading them to the airport.
Marvel-MCU

105 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

The winter soldier did little more than appreciate that the black widow had given him leave to hold her hand- Bucky almost managed to force a proper smile through at the contact, but he wasn't content with his awareness of their surroundings yet. By the time he had finished a thorough examination of the area, The winter soldier was finally letting up now that he was confident they were in relatively little danger.

Bucky's eyebrows shot up at the comments from Justin and Steve. "Wait. How is currency not one of the things that you prepared for this mission?" He asked incredulously before using his free hand to pull his wallet from his bag and open it. The billfold contained a number of time appropriate bills for various countries, though they were predominantly American and Russian. Bucky added on a comment in regards to Natasha. "Unsurprisingly, I also speak Russian fluently, so we're covered on that."
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"Airport it is, then." Natasha said with a nod. She gave Bucky a look "If Cap had needed cash to fund this adventure, he'd have said so. All I worried about was making sure that my papers were in order." in the past, she'd probably have had the same attitude, but she'd gotten used to working with a team, and knowing that she could trust her teammates to hold up their end. "Now all we have to do is sneak in and rescue Bucky." which would be the hard part, but she had confindence in this group.
Marvel Comics-616-ish

158 Posts
3 Threads
Mike

Justin had, of course, gotten himself an ID made that was era-appropriate (Stark Tower did have its benefits, after all), but money… he really wasn’t going to trust or ask them to counterfeit money for him. And, given that he didn’t have access to his own world to try to get ahold of old bills? No, he hadn’t handled the money himself. It’d been something that he’d figured they could figure out once they were there to be much less complicated.

“Yeah, simple job, that,” he said, dryly. Just, y’know, waltz into Siberia and enter the secure compound where its assassins were being conditioned and trained. No big deal, right? “So as the one whose Russian is terrible, I take it that if we need a spur-of-the-moment cover story, I’m a prisoner, right?” He more or less trusted the others to be able to impersonate KGB or… whatever black ops Russians they knew, but he was going to have to play things by ear, without knowing what they were saying. Frankly, he was wishing that they were pulling someone out of the middle east so he wouldn’t be so in the dark, but you couldn’t always get what you wanted, could you.