Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: 616 Tony StarkCrossing Paths
Marvel-616

323 Posts
12 Threads
Job: Director of SHIELD
Ship Status: Open to shipping
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

All Accounts Posts: 480
There was a little bakery three blocks from the Tower that had the best bagels in New York. The kind of hole in the wall that had always made Steve get misty-eyed about the past, and which Tony had had to grudgingly admit was the real deal. He wasn't crazy about going by the Tower--there was never a good time to run into the other Tony--but he'd woken up in the mood for a good bagel, and had even felt like he could handle the barrage of memories that was likely to come with the trip.

He was crossing the street amid scattered traffic, a brown paper bag tucked under his arm, when he saw a flash of red hair and a familiar face. He hadn't known that any Natasha Romanov was in the Hub, and he felt a genuine flash of excitement at the possibility that it might be his. One of the few heroes who didn't, at least as far as he knew, hate his very existence.

So he jogged across the street, waving in her direction as he did, and calling, "Natasha!"
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 922
Natasha was on her way to a meeting at the Green Goddess, where she was supposed to meet up with Jax, and a guy Jax knew named Dean, who was supposed to be a good man for this kind of work. She had the sketches and pictures from her trip the day before, when she'd checked out what was apparently meant to be her new home. After she cleared out the current occupant.

She was distracted from mulling this over by the sound of someone calling out her name. It wasn't anyone she recognized, but he clearly knew her. Which, in the Hub probably meant that he knew some alternate version of her. "Hi." she said, as she turned to face him "I'm Natasha, but I don't think we've met."
Marvel-616

323 Posts
12 Threads
Sexual Orientation: Sure, with just about anyone (but I don't want to write it explicitly)
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

She didn't recognize him. That was fine, if a little disappointing, because it probably meant she came from a world where Tony Stark was short, had brown eyes, and was a grade a asshole.

"Tony Stark," Tony said, holding out his hand and flashng her a smile. "You look a lot like an old friend of mine."
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

Tony Stark. Of course he was. Because of course. For a moment she considered simply turning on her heel and walking away, but decided that he'd probably follow her.

"I get that a lot." she replied, ignoring the extended hand for the moment "Did you want anything in particular? I'm supposed to meet some people in a little while." trying to get out of the encounter as quickly as possible, and with only being rude, as opposed to outright hostility.
Marvel-616

323 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

She ignored his hand and Tony withdrew it, a disappointment sinking through him. It wasn't so much that the distaste radiating off of her came as a surprise. Although his own Natasha had supported the SHRA, and more importantly had managed to come out of the experience not especially resenting him, she was one of only a few. He'd had far too many encounters exactly like this, where someone he'd thought of as an old friend had seen him and turned cold and closed off, for it to surprise him.

So, while seeing that look in this Natasha's eyes stung, it was too routine an experience for him to make much of it, either. Maybe this Natasha had been in Cap's camp, in her own world, or maybe something else had happened between them. Considering that her Tony was the other Tony, it wasn't hard to imagine that he'd somehow fucked her over. Still. It was a shame.

"I wanted to say hello," Tony answered honestly. "Nat's still a good friend in my world. But I'm getting the feeling here that you and your Tony are not." He thought of the one he'd met and added, "If he's who I think he is, I can't say I blame you."
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

And then he was apologizing to her, acknowledging that her Tony had screwed her over and that caught her off guard. Stopped her from just walking off.

"He isn't the one who is here. One of the ones, I guess." Natasha replied "But yeah, in my universe we aren't friends. We-he built the hybernation unit that killed James, either by accident or on purpose he's dead, either way" although she had to admit to herself now that it was unlikely Tony had done it on purpose. He might have reasons to want Bucky dead, but that level of subtle calculation was beyond him "and he couldn't keep his hands off of Steve, so yeah, we have a few issues." she took a breath and let it out "But assuming you're from a universe where Tony Stark isn't a drunk and a philanderer, maybe you and I don't have an issue."
Marvel-616

323 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony nodded as Natasha spoke, glad at least that she'd admitted having problems with his counterpart. But then, he'd always liked that about Natasha. Your knew where you stood with her.

But his expression folded into a frown as she described the specifics. "I'm sorry," he said, because even if he didn't know exactly what had happened or what part some other Tony had played, it was true. "For your loss. And for whatever he did." It was hard to imagine and version of himself killing Barnes intentionally, but negligence was no excuse either.

The other part made him look away. "I'm five years sober. And Steve and I... We never. I never. In my world, he's dead."
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

And then he was apologizing again, and offering his sympathy, and reminding Natasha, that, even in her universe, Tony Stark was a better person than he wanted to admit. Which got in the way of her personal goal of telling every Tony Stark in existence that he was an asshole, but sometimes life sucked like that.

"Thanks." she said "All of this went down pretty recently, and yeah. What he did isn't your fault, though." the last statement was made somewhat grudgingly, but honestly for all that.

"You wanted to, though." she finished "Even if you never got the chance." suddenly, something clicked for her and she said "You're the Tony Stark that Safi is screwing, aren't you."
Marvel-616

323 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony smiled slightly at Natasha's extremely grudging admission that Barnes' death wasn't his fault. "If telling me to fuck off anyway would make you feel better, feel free." He could understand the urge, in any case.

He winced as she described his relationship with Steve, wondering if he was that transparent. His true feelings for Steve had been one of his best-kept secrets back home, and the idea that he couldn't hide behind possible denial anymore was discomfiting. "It doesn't matter," he said shortly, knowing she would read the truth in that anyway. His eyebrows rose, however, at the mention of Safi, and he wondered if somehow all of his intimate affairs were public knowledge around the hub. The tabloids in his own universe has certainly been been that accurate. "But, uh, yes," he answered. "That would be me. How do you know Safi?"
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"It isn't as satisfying if you're inviting me to do it." Natasha replied, offering a wry smile of her own. It was annoyingly difficult to dislike this version of Tony Stark, but there it was. Well, there had to be at least one universe where he'd at least attempted to get his shit together. Which brought up the question of what he was doing in the Hub, but there seemed to be a number of people who were stuck here. Even if some of them, herself, for example, weren't working very hard to find a way back.

"Considering that there are multiple versions of Steve around here, it still might." she said, choosing, for the moment not to think what it said about her that she was getting involved with Bucky. With Yasha, Natalia corrected, preferring the softness of that nickname "We met, after I'd gone through the portal to his home universe. Apparently I look like his former wife." Natasha explained. Deciding not to mention the sex pollen incident, or that it had ended with Safi pushing her up against a tree. She had no reason to try to hurt this version of Tony, and besides, that might get back to Bucky. Who was occasionally jealous of the various versions of Steve.
Marvel-616

323 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"No, I suppose not," Tony agreed, matching her smile for another moment before letting it fade. He was glad, irrationally so maybe, that this version of Natasha

He shook his head, though, at the insinuation that the other Steves in the Hub changed anything. "He's dead. I'm not interested in replacing him." He said the words distastefully, though he was aware that the thing with Safi probably made it look otherwise. But Safi wasn't Steve. Feeling awkward, Tony forced some levity into his voice and said, "Well, uh, he mentioned he had an ex-wife. He didn't say she looked anything like you."
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"I didn't say that you were." Natasha replied "Just that some people have a type, y'know." since Safi certainly looked like Steve, even though he wasn't exactly the same person. Was further from Captain America than the other Steve variants that were here. Which certainly was an advantage that he had over the other Tony that she'd met here.

"No reason why he would have know." Natasha said with a shrug "She wasn't any more like me than Safi is like Steve."
Marvel-616

323 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"Oh," Tony said, embarrassed. It was bad enough that everyone in the Hub apparently knew about his feelings for Steve. It was worse that he was obviously so sensitive about it, especially considering that his Natasha was one of the more perceptive people he'd ever met in his life. He ran a hand over his beard, then said, "I'm not proud of it. But it's nice for the time being, and, well, you've seen him." He shrugged. "Not that it matters to you."

Except, her version of Tony and whatever he'd had with Steve had apparently bothered her a great deal, enough for her to resent him for it. Tony felt a surge of curiosity, about this Natasha and her world and his alternate self. Before he could think better of it, he was gesturing down the street and saying, "Do you have a few minutes, to chat? Coffee's on me."
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

Black Widow noticed his embarrassment, and filed it away for future reference, just as she'd filed away the information that he was sexually involved with Safi Wasem. Natasha replied "Nope, it doesn't concern me at all. Neither one of you is breaking any hearts, so I won't even judge you." the last bit was said with a wry smile, thinking of the argument that she'd had with Safi when she'd thought he'd used her to cheat on his fiancee.

In spite of what Natasha had said to him about meeting up with people, she actually had a couple of hours before the time that was set for the meet, and Natasha and Black Widow were curious about this man and his universe "I could handle a cup of coffee." she replied "Lead the way."
Marvel-616

323 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

She was studying him, Tony noted. His own Natasha did that, filing away every bit of information there was to know about you even as she smiled and held up her end of the conversation. Half the time, Tony wondered if she was even doing it intentionally. In any case, he wasn't overly bothered to see this Natasha doing it now. There was something strangely confirming in the familiarity.

He gave her a genuine smile when she agreed to go to coffee, and decided it wasn't worth commenting on how little time she'd apparently had a few minutes ago.

"I know a great place, it's only a block away," Tony said, starting toward it. "Honestly, the strangest part of the Hub? No paparazzi. First time in my life, actually. Coffee runs are a lot quieter." He was pretty sure she didn't care, but he was starting to feel comfortable, and that made him run his mouth sometimes. "So," he added. "What's your story? How did you end up here?"
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"That must be a nice change." Natasha said, letting Tony talk. This Tony might not be the same as the one she knew, but the tendency to be a chatterbox seemed to be a universal constant. Which didn't mean that he was uninterested in other people, of course.

"Magic accident, believe it or not." Natasha said, and, deciding that there wasn't any harm in telling the entire story, continued. "I was out on a solo mission-there was this ring that was trafficking Inhumans, and SHIELD was shutting it down. Things were going really well, and the evac plan involved Doctor Strange opening up a portal, so that I could get the Inhumans out without attracting a lot of attention. I went through last and the portal dumped me out in front of Stark Tower in the Hub instead of back at SHIELD HQ." there was a bit more to the story, including why she'd been out on the mission, but that wasn't directly related to the mission.
Marvel-616

323 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

"Compared to where I'm coming from, yeah, it's nice," Tony said, in an even voice he hoped didn't betray just how exhausted and miserable he'd been. "No screw ups oh my end, though. Portal appeared in my SHIELD office one night. Or morning." Whatever other people called 3am. "Couldn't resist a mystery portal, especially if it meant missing a 7am with Hill and Dugan. " He shrugged. He was joking, partly, but the fact was that he was avoiding his problems by being here and that was nothing to be proud of. "So, I'm here. For now. What are your plans? I've heard the other Tony around here can generate portals, but he's an asshat, so if you're going to get home you might want to look into other options."
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"That Tony and I have met." Natasha said, and then added "I think I could get him to make me a portal, just to get rid of me-we didn't exactly hit it off-but I think I'm going to stay here for awhile. I can do a lot of good here and honestly, there isn't a lot waiting for me back home." Clint was retired, Coulson was dead, James was dead, Steve was gone, and that was pretty much the extent of the list of people she wanted to work with in her universe, and she'd been part of a team for too long to want to go back to being a solo operator. Here, at least she had options-even if most of them were versions of people she'd lost.

"Hill and Dugan?" she asked, curious "What were you doing, that had you working with SHIELD that closely?"
Marvel-616

323 Posts
12 Threads
Jasmine (starkly-tony)

Tony chuckled. "He and I didn't exactly hit it off either. Well. Figuratively. I punched him in the the face." It was probably still the best interaction he'd had with the other man so far. At the rest, he regarded Natasha curiously. "No Avengers back home? Or did my other other self screw that up too?"

Her question drew another laugh from him, but not a happy one. He was all too aware that he'd been away toi long, even if Wanda could drop him right where he'd left off. "Work with SHIELD? I'm the Director. Perks of winning a superhero civil war."
Marvel-MCU-3

174 Posts
8 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"I just had a lot of yelling." Natasha replied "So maybe not as bad as you." when he asked about the Avengers, it made her wonder what had happened in his world "Believe it or not, the entire universe doesn't revolve around Tony Stark's ass." Natasha said with a snort. "The Avengers are doing fine, saving the world and all that good stuff. I-the Avengers did good work-do good work, but I was there because of my friends, not because it was what I love doing. The Avengers is bigger than one person, they can find someone else to fill my place easy enough."

"More differences between your world and mine." Natasha said musingly "The Tony I know handed Stark over to Pepper, and doesn't want to be in charge of picking up pizza, let alone run SHIELD. That's still Fury's gig. And in my universe, no one really won-we just sort of stopped fighting."