Fandoms: All

Canons: Open/Oc's Welcome!

Bans: Howard the Duck,
RPF* Real Person Fiction; IE Apping an actual celebrity

Main Rule:Don't Be a Dick

OOC min age:18

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: NalaThis is NOT fun anymore.
Star Trek-AOS

101 Posts
7 Threads
Job: Orion Slave
Ship Status: In a ship! (Kala? Naalth? idk)
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 753
Nala smiled winningly at her current companion- leaning across the table to pour him a new drink and perhaps encourage him to loosen his purse strings, or at the very least, pay for her company a while longer. Of course given her recent string of luck, she was hardly even surprised when her fingers slipped and knocked the whole bottle off the edge of the table. Nala paled, grateful once again that most terrans couldn't recognize the difference in her colouring. She gave the man beside her a small laugh, and used her pheromones to encourage his interest in finding it funny.

"Whoops!" She offered with a giggle that went very little past the surface. Nala dance her fingers up his arm before tapping his lips for point. "Let me just get that cleaned up real quick, and I'll get a new bottle for you." She purred, embarrassed that any of the Orions in this place could probably scent how close she was to crying from frustration. She intentionally straddled her companion with a wink before flipping back over to get out the side of the booth that she had knocked the bottle off of.

She was tempted to make a flirtatious little show of it- but she did not have the energy to do that. Instead, she crouched down briskly and began to gather the shards into her hip wrap, holding the edge to make a small basket. Having gathered the majority of them, she stood to take them away, giving another quick smile on her standing up. She managed to take a total of three steps towards the garbage before she slipped, losing her grip on the edge of her hip wrap and falling down on her knees a half second after the glass hit the floor.

Dripping blood from her knees and hands, Nala was on the very edge of tears. But she was a trained agent- She couldn't break down. Not again. If she did, it would be the fourth time that she had broken down in the middle of the club. If her cousin was reporting them- like Nala herself really ought to be... than it was just a matter of time before she was recalled and a more capable operative sent in her place. She wasn't ready for that- she was. She was making a life for herself here. She was getting stability that she thought that she was never going to have. And... Kaalth.

Nala didn't even want to think about that. Because whatever her relationship future with him was- if Nala was called back, that was it. Kaalth couldn't come back to their home reality. He had managed to find a place that he could work in... but the place that he came from, versus the place she did- Nala couldn't put him through that. He'd never be at ease there- to ask him to give that all up for a relationship that might not necessarily last forever. Even if it did, what kind of life would he have? He'd be expected to help run the family business, a share of which would have to be split off for them, since he had no family to go to. Kaalth would have to put on the show of being the man in charge.

It would be a world of constant torture for him.

Forcing a smile on her face, she turned her head back to her customer, not moving towards him so that the amount of wounds she sustained would be less obvious. "It is not my day!" She offered with a laugh, shaking her hair out of her face, as flirtatiously as one could manage while bleeding on the floor. Standing up slowly, she re-angled her wraps to cover her knees, and repressed a sigh when she saw the blood start to peak through. "Unfortunately, I will have to cut our time together short. We will happily reimburse you for fees paid- and my cousin ought to be able to help you with that." Nala offered, turning on the spot and bowing apologetically. She kept the palms of her hands together to prevent more injury from being visible, and nodded at where her cousin stood.

Turning to walk out the door, she managed one last line to her father before she entered the family quarters. "Please have someone clean up the glass before someone else gets injured- and the blood before it can contaminate anything. Thank you Father." She said, speaking smoothly and calmly- though the minute she was in private, she dropped on her rear end and started crying as she stared at her beautiful and ruined clothes, and the glass shards still sticking out of her skin.
Star Trek-AOS

316 Posts
18 Threads
Job:
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 907
Jaya watched the little drama involving her cousin play out, a frown on her face. She'd avoided mentioning it in her reports, but it was starting to get to the point that she wasn't certain how long she could cover for Nala. At least this time Nala hadn't started crying in the middle of the floor. Still, she had told the customer to ask for a refund which-well, Nala might be a part owner now, but she obviously wasn't thinking clearly if she was turning a customer away, and just because she couldn't pull her shit together.

Fortunately everyone else who worked there was a professional-without Jaya needing to give directions Padma was walking over to the customer, apologizing and distracting him, and he seemed to be content with the change. Ruvet had brought over a new bottle and even Kaalth, who had been doing something in one of the store rooms, as he often did when Nala was entertaining a customer, had sprung into action, cleaning up the mess in record time. Once he was done, Kaalth headed straight for the family quarters, presumably to take care of Nala, and Jaya let him go without comment-maybe he'd be able to soothe whatever it was that was wrong with Nala.
Star Trek-AOS

127 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

Kaalth was halfway out of the store room when he heard the bottle crash to the ground, pulled from his work by the acid bite of Nala's distress. When the bottle fell he'd gone back to grab the things he'd need to clear up the mess, and had emerged just in time to see Nala fall and cut herself. Kaalth had managed to restrain the urge to rush over and comfort Nala immediately-the last time she'd had a similar mishap he'd done that, and she'd burst into tears-so he let her retreat into the family quarters, and then followed after once he'd gotten the glass and alcohol cleaned up.

Once he got there, well, it was as bad as he'd thought it would be. Nala was crying, still sitting in the hallway, blood running down her legs. Kaalth hurried over to her, wanting to do anything to make that terrible scent of despair and fear go away.

"Shssssh, its going to be fine, Nala." he said, picking her up and carrying her towards her room, where he could get her cleaned up. As he carried her he couldn't help but catch the lingering scent of Taarus in her hair. He was fairly certain that was because of one of Nala's not infrequent sparring sessions, and not because Nala was having sex with him. Mostly because he was quite certain that if Taarus did ever have sex with Nala, his next move would be to brag to Kaalth about it.

Still, the smell was a reminder that Nala had another suitor, one who was a better choice, more useful, and generally more worth keeping around than Kaalth was-keeping the club running was hard work, but there were plenty of people who could do the same job, especially with Ruvet around to supervise. Ruvet didn't like Taarus very much, he thought that Taarus was entirely too modern and independent, but he'd also been carefully avoiding getting involved in his daughter's romantic life, at least now that she had decided to get involved with someone, and Kaalth knew that if Nala picked Taarus, no, WHEN Nala picked Taarus, Ruvet would bite his tongue and deal with the man.

Still, Kaalth told himself firmly, here and now he was the one who got to take care of Nala, and he was going to do just that. "We'll get you cleaned up, and then you'll feel better." Kaalth said "Then I'll get Jaya to use the regenerator on you, and everything will be fine." gently he set Nala down on a stool, and started picking the glass out of her skin.
Star Trek-AOS

101 Posts
7 Threads
Moon

It wasn't like Nala couldn't scent Kaalth's concern when she fell- except it was exactly like that. With the scent of booze and blood so strong in her nose, it was hard to catch much of anything from someone at such a distance.

She did however, upon moving away from her fall- quite clearly catch the scent of her cousin's disappointment in the air. It was bad enough that this was happening- but to know that Jaya saw what a sorry shape the woman who was trying to share the business with her was in- Nala felt smaller than ever. The fact that she was visibly displeased made it even worse. Only the Orions could read Jaya's pheromones to tell how she felt about this- but everyone with sight could pick up how Nala's younger cousin felt about her now.

She barely held back her tears- even as she started planning what to pack and what to leave. There was no point in bringing her pretty things- Nala hesitated to use the word home since it didn't feel like returning home- but back to their reality. She wouldn't be allowed to keep them anyways. At this point, she'd be doing good if her own brothers didn't fire her. At least them, it would be nice to see. Might make her forget for a few minutes the fact that she had maybe pissed off a Goddess and seemed to be paying for it and that Nala was dumb and-

Needless to say, by the time Kaalth got back there and lifted her up, she could barely recognize the scent of her blood anymore- her nose was so stuffed up as she tried to maintain some shape of not being hideous to look at. Nala couldn't even hide her damn face because there was no part of her that the action wouldn't cause pain with.

She almost would rather scratch her own face up than for the man who scooped her up to see her as she was right now. Nala choked out a bitter laugh as the only reply she could manage at first. Swallowing hard, she put words to her upset. "No it's not. It's not going to be alright. I may not have cried in front of everyone- today. But this is the second time I've injured myself like this, and the fourth breakable I've knocked over today."

His added attempt at soothing her just made her cry harder- though it was hardly his fault. His scent- what little she could catch- was the only thing standing between her and curling into a ball until her clothes were ruined forever and the glass had gotten truly buried in the mass of scab that would come with this much blood. Nala wanted to tell him that- but then he had mentioned Jaya, and Nala could only picture her cousin's look of disappointment and it reminded Nala all too much that she wasn't supposed to have a happy life.

Maybe she had fooled herself into thinking that since Jaya was alive, Nala was absolved of that curse. But she had never been that lucky. Everything she had- she had fought for- and it was all going right down the drain in front of her eyes. Everything except Kaalth who Nala knew she should push away too- before she wasn't given a choice but to do it.

It was much easier in theory. Instead, Nala sat there and stared at her hands before replying sadly- ignoring the feeling of having the shards of glass removed. "Everything won't be fine." She started, feeling her throat closing up. "I'm going to get sent back." Nala managed, barely forcing the words out before a fresh sob hit her. "I only was allowed to come to the hub because I was one of the best, and now- now I'm not. I'm just damaging our name here. The syndicate would be wise to strip me of my task, and give me a dishonourable discharge."

No matter how she tried, she couldn't manage to tell him that they couldn't be together. Which is to say- she could, but sobbing, and making it obvious how much she didn't want to, would just make it harder. If Nala managed to tell him that they- That they needed to- needed to stop being together. Needed to break up. Then she had to do it with ice in her words. Make it seem like she never cared because then he wouldn't hold on to any useless hope for a future Nala didn't deserve.

And right now, Nala wanted too desperately to be held in his arms to be able to do what she knew she needed to.
Star Trek-AOS

127 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

"Yes, it will be." Kaalth said, trying to soothe her. "You've had a few bad days, that is all. Everyone breaks things sometimes, Nala. You should take a day or two off, get some rest. If you want, I can take the days off too. Maybe we could go for a picnic or something. Get away from this place and relax." hoping that she'd want to go with them, instead of Taarus, even though the other man hand't shown any interest in properly courting Nala. Well, unless you counted the way that he'd apparently casually tossed her a bag of gold that amounted to a decent chunk of a brideprice. Not that any of that mattered now. All that mattered was comforting Nala.

Once he'd finished getting the glass out, and gotten the little cuts to stop flowing blood, Kaalth gently wiped Nala's tears away, and handed her another cloth to blow her nose with "You are part owner of the Green Goddess." Kaalth pointed out "You're here because Jaya asked for you to come, not because the Syndicate sent you. So what if they try to recall you." he said, with the confidence of a man who didn't know how dangerous it could be to cross the Orion Syndicate "Say no. Stay here with me. If you don't want to work at the Green Goddess, then don't. There is lots of work in the Hub."
Star Trek-AOS

101 Posts
7 Threads
Moon

Nala decided that she was going to stop crying and listen to Kaalth. Not that her emotions ever listened to her- so it was more a stifling of the sobs enough that she could hear him while he pulled the glass from her palms. She managed a nod in response- though her crying only slowed by a fraction. "Yes." She choked out- despite knowing that it wasn't a yes or no question.

Once she was no longer covered in glass and wasn't actively bleeding, Nala nuzzled slightly into Kaalth's hands- the warmth was comforting. Grounding. Her tears more or less came to a halt as she came back to herself. She was momentarily embarrassed by the suggestion of blowing her nose in front of him- but she didn't like not being able to scent him, so she did it anyways.

Nala was content to sit in silence- be alone with her sadness- but Kaalth was there, and she wanted to be held so she stood up long enough to shuck her soiled clothes for clean ones, before sitting down and leaning against him. Resting her head against his chest, she took a deep breath and faced the unbearably naive reply he had given her. "No Kaalth. I can't. While I am only here because Jaya requested it- I am here because Jaya requested the syndicate for it and they sent me. My opinion on the matter holds no weight- now or then. I am but a tool of the syndicate- and to refuse their orders would see me punished- quite possibly for treason- but absolutely for desertion and failure to obey orders."

She shook her head sadly- her tears may have stopped, but the underlying cause remained. "And that would backlash on everyone in my family. The syndicate treats us well because my mother died willingly in the line of duty- but that kind of treatment will go away the instant I dare to step out of line."
Star Trek-AOS

127 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

"So we'll do that." Kaalth said "You're probably just tired, trying to keep up with everything. Just take a couple of days off, get some real rest. If you want, I'll be there too." or she would be with Taarus, but he wasn't going to bring that up. If she wanted Taarus instead that would be fine. He'd just find somewhere else to be for a few days.

"I don't understand." Kaalth said "If they don't want you working at the Green Goddess because you're messing up, then why would they care if you stay in the Hub instead of going back? But if you have to go back, its still ok." he replied "You're good at your job. You're good Nala. Everything is going to be fine, you just need some time. I know you've been stressed out lately." he added, and then asked the question he'd been trying to avoid "I can get lost, it that'll help. I know that Taarus and I have been having bullshit drama and-I'll get out of the way. If you want."
Star Trek-AOS

101 Posts
7 Threads
Moon

Nala's eyebrows furrowed slightly as she looked at Kaalth- bringing a sore hand up to his cheek without thinking- she went to reply before she remembered her earlier plan to break it off with him. Biting her lip slightly, she was torn. In every single story that she had read where a couple broke up 'to protect one of them' was awful- it was one of the plotlines she hated most. And here she was, seriously considering doing the same.

She supposed she had never cared about a boyfriend enough to want to protect them before. Nala warmed slightly at that realization. Because she really did care about Kaalth. If she dared to say it- her emotions sometimes sounded remarkably like descriptions of love that she had read and never understood.

Sometimes.

But if Nala really loved Kaalth, she wouldn't be capable of treating him so poorly- of wanting to do things that she knew would hurt him. Maybe she hadn't done any of those things- because they would hurt him- but she had still thought about it. If that was her in love- then she wouldn't wish herself on anyone- let alone someone she cared about.

Clearing her mind, she focused on his question. "Because here in the hub I represent our entire species. If I screw up- it reflects poorly on Orions in general, though specifically the syndicate. If they call me back to my-" Nala paused, yet again uncertain of what word to use, since home hardly seemed to fit. "brothers' club. Then they at least have me set up somewhere I can't hurt our reputation that much." She whispered back.

When he offered to leave, her heart clenched again. "NO!" She exclaimed without thinking- before her cheeks once again warmed dramatically. "That it to say- Ah. I-" Nala swallowed hard and rested her head in the crook of Kaalth's neck.

"I don't want that."
Star Trek-AOS

127 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

When Nala explained the reasoning, it made sense to Kaalth, like it usually did when Nala explained things that he didn't understand. "That doesn't sound that terrible." Kaalth replied "You could make Jaya buy you out here, and then buy a share of the House of Dawn. I mean, I know that it'd belong to your husband but thats just legal bullshit, you'd be the woman of the family, still. I'd come back with you, and I've got some money saved, so we'd be ok." Granted, he wasn't thrilled about the idea of having to pretend to be an asshole who treated women like property, but he'd do his best, and he'd have Nala's brothers around to help. He'd rather stay in the Hub, but going with Nala would be better than watching her leave.

Kaalth couldn't help but smile when she exclaimed she didn't want him to leave. "I won't leave. Not unless you tell me to. I'm glad you want me around." he hugged her tight "We'll get this worked out, I promise."
Star Trek-AOS

101 Posts
7 Threads
Moon

Nala didn't know how to describe the feeling inside her chest when Kaalth referred to her 'husband' and himself separately. It had her throat closing up, her fingers tightening ever so slightly on the edge of her clothes, her heart trying to tear itself from her chest for no apparent reason. Biting her lip slightly she just began to nod, moving to acquiesce even as his offer to come back with her had fire racing across her skin.

"How-" She started, voice little more than a whisper. "-have you so thoroughly learned to disarm my fears?" Nala continued with a small huff of air- wishing that she knew how to do the same for him. Not that she ever wanted him to have fears- but Nala couldn't help but want to be there for him as he was for her. She bit back a snarl as it occurred to her that Kaalth would always have the leg up on that- he had experience with more than one version of her after all. Her brows knit together as she wrinkled her nose at the idea.

She had moved on from being angry that he had been with her copy- but... frustrations lingered.

A shiver went down her spine as he held her close- Nala hadn't been aware until that moment that she had been cold- and yet the way his heat spread through every part of her could only be attributed to a lack of heat of her own.

Only that.

No other possibilities.

None.

Nala huffed slightly in the embrace. Forcing her voice to come out more even and confident than she felt, she pushed just far enough away to look him in his eyes. "Let's be clear Kaalth- if I decide that I'd rather you out of my way- you will know. So never ask again if I'd like you go. Understood?" Nala stated, with no room to argue- though her voice came out strangled on the last word.
Star Trek-AOS

127 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

Kaalth hadn't said "husband" instead of "me" because he was in any way reluctant to commit to Nala, or because he had doubts about what he wanted, but he'd noticed that she still balked a little when he talked about their relationship as a long term one, or when he told her how absolutely committed he was. Not to mention the fact that, especially if she had to go back to her home universe, she might decide she needed a different person.

"Taking care of you is my job." Kaalth said simply "I try to be good at my work. I'm bad at a lot of it, I know that, but I think I do ok at taking care of you. I try to, anyway." he said gently. Hoping that she wouldn't think that he was using the things he'd learned from her copy. Which he still was, a little bit, the copy of Nala had also had her share of insecurities that needed soothed, and had at least been good practice, even if the real woman was much more complex.

"Ok." he said quietly, running a thumb over her cheek. "I won't. And I"ll never leave, unless you tell me to."
Star Trek-AOS

101 Posts
7 Threads
Moon

Logically Nala knew that Kaalth would do almost anything she asked if he could be her husband. Unfortunately she had been feeling distinctly illogical lately- and whatever it was that was in control of her actions (she refused to claim that it was her heart) had absolutely no patience for fact- instead choosing to imagine a whole list of other explanations.

Her mouth was dry, she realized quietly. Combined with the warmth she was feeling flooding through her limbs- Nala couldn't help but wonder if she was coming down with something.

"I'm a job, huh?" She murmured in reply, doing her best to mask the small pang in her chest that came with thinking she was just an obligation he had to deal with. Nala knew better than that- no reasonable man would try so hard to be with a woman he considered a task- nor would he shed tears over said task becoming angry with him.

Tears that she still needed to make up to him for- because Kaalth deserved so much better than her.

Nala wondered idly whether there was a woman back from his own time that he could have had his perfect relationship with. Someone who wouldn't break down crying seemingly at a drop of a hat- Someone who could care for him the way he cared for them. Someone who was ready and waiting to accept his love- instead of terrified both of loving him and of being unable to return his love.

Every single one of those thoughts went right out the window when his thumb brushed across her skin and he replied to her. Nala's mouth opened for a moment- mind trying to scramble for a verbal response- before giving up and settling on physical instead.

She pressed her lips to his desperately, eyes squeezed shut harder than was strictly necessary- but the prickling at the back of her eyes told her plenty about what she might do if she opened her lids. Nala tried to vocalize the simple word 'Good' but her mouth did little other than change shape against Kaalth's.
Star Trek-AOS

127 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

Kaalth saw the sudden stiffness in Nala, and cursed himself mentally. He was no good with words, and it showed. He wished he had 'game' as Jax called it, wish he knew how to make a woman laugh and smile and feel beautiful. "Not like that." he said "Its just...I like taking care of you. Its what I'm supposed to be doing. I know that its, I know that you need more, that you expect more from a man, but its what I was raised to do. Work hard, and try to make sure that my...that the woman my mother found for me was happy, and take care of the house and the kids and-well, it feels right, doing that for you."

"My mother would have liked you." he added "She was picky, thats why I was still single, when I came here, and she wanted to find me someone who'd be good to me. Someone like you."

And then Nala was kissing him, and he was returning the kiss and there was nothing in the world that mattered to him other than her mouth on his.
Star Trek-AOS

101 Posts
7 Threads
Moon

Naala flushed again as he elaborated- and though she was having a hard time meeting Kaalth's eyes for embarrassment about her own behaviour- her heart felt like it was trying to climb out of her chest, and she had to bite her lip to hide her smile at his response. The mention of a house and kids just caused the flush to expand and her sense of sound to be nearly drowned out by the thunder of her blood racing through her veins.

"Different words- if you need them in the future- ah. Desire, goal, purpose." She finally managed to meet his eyes, the light finally returning to her own properly as she gave a small smile. "Not everyone likes their job- and at least in my time it's kind of synonymous with 'obligation'." Nala explained quietly before her tongue tied itself in knots all over again when he told her that his mom would have liked Nala.

"M-" She squeaked, annoyed both with the pitch and stutter of her voice. "M-my mom would like you. I mean. I don't know- I was still pretty young when she passed away- but I think she would have really liked you." Nala blurted out, skin burning from mortification because Goddess had she actually just said that? Deciding that digging her hole a couple inches deeper wouldn't matter considering the depth of it already, Nala added another remark. "She would have seen how good to me you are- and how happy-" you make me. Nala went to say before managing the slightest amount of self-editing. "I am when we're together."

She bit her lip before swooping down and kissing him again, unable to properly vocalize what she wanted to say, and not entirely certain she wouldn't die of awkwardness if he thought she was being cheesy.
Star Trek-AOS

127 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

"I'll try to remember that." Kaalth said sincerely "Taking care of you is my desire, and my goal, and my purpose." he smiled "I guess I'm lucky then. I like working here. Not the taking care of you, but taking care of this place. I'm even getting to like dealing with assholes. Even though I'd rather calm them down than throw them out on their asses." he was bad with conflict and physical violence, he knew that, but he was getting to be ok dealing with people.

"I hope that you're right." Kaalth replied "I think that your father likes me. At least he hasn't said that I don't treat you right. I'm glad you think that I make you happy. I like doing that."

And then she was showing him the best way to make her happy, which he was glad to do.