DCU-Green Lantern Comics

62 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Michael

All Accounts Posts: 787
Well, that could have gone worse, Jake decided. They hadn't died in that weird, crumbing world. They'd saved the hostages, even! Okay, true, three people (one of the hostages included) had stayed behind, but they'd been up to something, Jake had figured that much out from the weird readings that the ring had given him when he'd tried to re-open the portal when it had shut. True, everyone seemed to be a little more the worse for wear. True, he'd gone all freaking Sinestro at the end there, which was... weird, true enough, but they'd gotten back all right. He'd taken Kai back to the shop for her clothes, and her freaking Star Sapphire ring, which... seriously, damn. The Sapphires could be a pain in the ass, but one thing they were not were pushovers. She wasn't even from his universe and she'd still been chosen by a ring. It was only dumb luck, he figured, that the magic had separated her from the ring, otherwise she wouldn't have even needed him to rescue him.

That thought made him a little sad, for some weird reason.

There would be time to talk about that later, though. He waited until they were outside the shop, and he put his arm around her again, aiming for the sky. She was exhausted after what had happened, he wasn't going to just wait around here with her, was he?

Compassion This was the first time he'd tried to use it, but it worked. In a flash of indigo light, they vanished from the bazaar, reappearing in the safety of Jake's sector house. "Hope you don't mind the shortcut," he said, "But you look like you could use some quiet and a nap at the very least."
Marvel-MCU-1

88 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Stark Tech/Superhero
Ship Status: KAKE
Sexual Orientation: Sexual Orientation is Yes.
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 725
Kai was all but asleep in Jake's arms the moment they were through the portal. If she wasn't so filled with residual adrenaline, she probably would have. It didn't help that she was more comfortable in Jake's arms than she had been with any other lover- which again brought questions to her mind.

Questions that she desperately wanted answered and she was not going to ask. After all, the 'define the relationship' talk was about as unchill as you could get, and her and Jake were supposed to be just chill, casual, no strings. All things that were very easy to forget when someone goes to a dying reality to save you.

And 'supposed to' was a bit much considering they had literally never spoken about whatever it was that was between them.

Realizing that they had arrived back at the magic shop, she considered putting on her clothes- before decided that her uniform would be fine. The ring slid back home to its place on her hand- immediately creating a thin swimsuit style uniform underneath the green clothes Jake had brought into being for her. For the best since he switched colours again and she was momentarily expecting her clothes to dissipate. They did not- this time.

Kai had questions about that, but she was in no real hurry for answers at that moment. She dropped her real clothes on the nearest piece of furniture once she was cognisant of where they were. "No I don't mind. In fact I'm quite grateful." Kai started, pressing a sleepy kiss to his neck. "Not just for the shortcut. I knew you would come to save me." She whispered, afraid that saying it louder would make it more real- that the emotions that drove that conclusion would just gain further purchase in her heart.

Not that she could do much about it. She had seen her pohaku change when she took on her star sapphire uniform- all of them, even the new one going pink. Except for one tiny sliver that stayed resolutely green. The same green, she had noted, that she associated with Jake. Said sliver was now quite buried in the forest of hair that was her scalp.

Kai could puzzle out what it might mean later, when she had the energy to face whatever conclusion she came to.

Yawning, she gave him the biggest smile she could manage, trying to purr around the exhaustion. "Though if you're also hoping for physical gratitude, you'll have to wait until after the nap." She offered with a small laugh at her own state.
DCU-Green Lantern Comics

62 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Michael

Once they were safely in the privacy of Jake’s Space-Pad, he dropped the conjured clothes and found that they hadn’t exactly been necessary, now, had they? Idly, he had to admit that the Sapphires had a much better idea about how to dress their Lanterns… although, granted, he might think differently if he’d ever found a violet ring on his finger. That sort of outfit looked a hell of a lot better on Kai than it would on him. Much better, actually…

Kind of weird, actually, now that he thought about it… for the last good while, he’d been absolutely immune to the fact that she was naked (under his ring, at least). He still was, really (well, almost naked now, admittedly), although he didn’t expect that to last. That hadn’t happened since… actually, it hadn’t ever happened. Huh.

“Of course I was going to come for you,” he scoffed. “C’mon, I fought a hulk for you.” Albeit, a dying, decrepit Hulk, but that hardly mattered. “Not going to lie, though, that was one of the shittiest worlds I’ve been through to. Maybe in part because you were trapped there, but… no, that place just sucked. Let’s try to not do that again, yeah?” He carried her in to the bedroom, setting her down on the bed. Heh… Physical gratitude. And this time, she was even waving it away! Miracles never ceased! “Please. I’m not even up for that until I’ve had a chance to shower until I don’t feel like I’m covered in zombie anymore.” Now, it was true that he knew no zombie had gotten on him through his ring’s shield, but that whole world just had a way of leaving you feel… affected. Dirty, even. Of course, he didn’t know how, exactly, it had affected her at all… “You want me to go? I mean, I get it if you need more quiet than me being around gives you.”
Marvel-MCU-1

88 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai laughed softly at Jake's reply, pulling his head down to where she could press her forehead against his. Closing her eyes, she took one calm breath before focusing on her reply. "I said that I KNEW you would come for me. What part of that sounds uncretain?" She teased with a smile, surprised she had the emotion in her to be happy when she had just come out of the hell that was that world. Her smile just strengthened when he mentioned that he fought the hulk. "My hero." She offered in reply as she tried to wrap her arms around his neck (something she kind of failed at do to an inability to keep her arms up that long.) Blatantly ignoring how much she liked calling him hers. Because that was another avenue of thought she did not need mapped out.

Though her heart was no getting the message and rather trying to beat out of her chest. She wanted to blame herself, but when he went and said things about how it was worse because she was trapped- well who could blame her? Kai was real grateful that she wasn't white at that moment, meant that the small blush burning on her cheeks might go unnoticed. She snorted at his comment about Zombie goo, thanking the stars for a change in topic.

Though it did bring up a thought for her that she really didn't like. First things first however, so she replied to the second comment instead. "Stay." She said softly, sitting down on the edge of the bed as her legs gave out from underneath her. Kai offered him a shy smile. "I'd like you to stay. You make me feel safe." She whispered, the after shocks of the situation finally setting in now that she wasn't in front of strangers. She wasn't sure if her hands were shaking from exhaustion or from residual fear and anger.

Kai cleared her throat and tried to brush it off. "Not that I'm not capable of protecting myself and everything so you don't have to stay if you don't want to- I mean why wouldn't you, I'm a beautiful woman who doesn't care to put on clothes but then I am weird and have strange crystals which is not even remotely normal and I appreciate that your always chill about that and if you care I have a new one not that I assume you care- but if you do then-" Kai was finally forced to pull in a deep breath, and she bit her lip to stop the verbal onslaught. "Sorry. Rambling."

Focusing on the thought that she didn't want to deal with, her face went a full burning red, which there was no pretence of being hidden. "And..." She started, though Kai couldn't believe herself that she was going through with asking this. "I also need a bath- but I don't know that I can hold any part of me up long enough to wash." Kai explained, mouth dry, swallowing hard from pure embarrassment. "Will you help me?" She said finally, forcing her eyes up to meet Jake's gaze.
DCU-Green Lantern Comics

62 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Michael

She wanted him to stay. He made her feel safe. Jake smiled, then… and, of course, grinned when she asserted her lack of helplessness. “Of course you can,” he said, just waiting out the rambling until it inevitably ended. “Of course I'll help you," he said, for all the world not seeing anything else he would have been able to focus on doing right then. When she was in a state like this, he wouldn't be in any right state to do anything but fret about her if she'd told him to leave. "All right, so… bath. Right. No need for a shower, I don’t think, sooooo…” It took some creative connecting to the shower in the bathroom, but then, the sector house was designed for things like that. Holding his ring out, he formed a rather luxurious tub a little ways away from the bed, then turned back to her after he’d turned it on, the water filling it up. Scooping her up, he carried her over and climbed in, his uniform evaporating as he settled in, leaning back against the slanted back of the tub, letting her lean back against his chest. “And for the record? Your crystals are pretty. And I’ve lived in space, my threshold for ‘normal’ doesn’t really exist anymore. I have a friend who’s actually made of fire. These things?” He ran his finger over a pohaku that he could see, “I just look at them as a sign that you know how to accessorize,” he teased.

“Although you really don’t need me here,” he pointed out, sliding his hand down her arm and tapping one finger onto the ring on her finger. “I mean… if I can do this, you can do this. Give it a try. You’re thirsty, right? I’m pretty sure that prick wasn’t giving you anything to eat or drink in there. Soooo…” As if on command, a pitcher of some kind of juice floated into the room on a floating green tray, which waited next to them. “Can you make a glass for yourself?” He settled back into the tub, then, his arm wrapped around her waist under the water, holding her back against him, not particularly minding if she needed his help holding herself steady in the water, since that pressed her tight against him, and he was finding himself very favorable toward that situation. After worrying about her all the way from that shop to the portal out of that damn world, being able to feel that she was all right was a welcome change.
Marvel-MCU-1

88 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai couldn't help the small smile when he confirmed that not only could she take care of herself but that he would in fact help. She liked that he didn't make her feel useless just because she needed help- and... After her paranoid thoughts that he might not actually want to save her, she was rather grateful to be able to be in his arms.

She nuzzled against his chest when he scooped her up, not feeling like putting more effort into her cuddling than that, though she did do the exact same once in the tub. Noting that he no longer had his uniform on, she wrinkled her brow to force hers to likewise dissipate. It took her a moment to get it but she did eventually and sank further against him now that that task was our of the way. His admiring of her pohaku caused her to blush all over again- the running of his fingers along one causing her to shiver not at all unpleasantly. For want of something to say, she launched the orbs from her skin- letting then settle into their balled forms. They flagged under their own weight, but she still moved the red orange one to her hands.

"This is my new one. I get them from strong emotional situations, each one is tethered to an emotion. I've been scared before. But I've never felt so angry and so helpless. So- I'm less helpless than ever now." Kai explained quietly, offering him the red orb to look at.

She sighed into his arms when his arms slid down around her waist. She was hesitant to make a fool of herself, but she also didn't want to not try. Trying to picture a simple glass, she glared at the space beside the pitcher for a moment, annoyed that it wasn't working.

Until it occurred to her that she probably ought to focus on her ring a little as well. Perhaps one day this would be as second nature to her as it was to Jake, but for the time being, she managed a cup, and she was surprisingly proud of herself.

Okay, she thought, time to put this to the test- before she tried to lift the jug with an immaterial hand, more than a little pleased to see that it worked and poured herself a drink. She drank quickly, trying to stop herself from beaming like a six year old who had learned to colour inside the lines. She turned her head slightly to speak to Jake- when she was hit with a yawn that felt like it was splitting her jaw.

Losing all concentration, she was startled but not confused when her creations dissipated and the jug fell a few inches back on to the green platter, sloshing liquid over the edges.

Kai laughed and leaned back so that she had her head tucked under Jake's. (Despite how she sometimes felt, there were actually a few benefits to being short.) "Let's try that again- after the sleep." Something that might come on quickly with how relaxing it was to be in his arms.
DCU-Green Lantern Comics

62 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Michael

It was hard for Jake to remember back to when the ring had been a new thing to him. So far, she seemed to be doing all right, though… right up until everything fell apart. “It’ll be easier after you’ve had some rest,” Jake agreed. “That’s kind of the gist of it, of the basic stuff, at least. Your best bet is to ask the ring about things if you aren’t sure. I know that sounds stupid, but… give it a week, it’ll stop sounding stupid. Promise.”

She was half asleep, which meant that this bath was a lot less entertaining than it could have been, but all the same, it felt good. Now that everything was done, it was just sinking in now how worried about her he’d been. That was the sort of feeling that he couldn’t focus on while he was on a mission, not really, but now? Now that she was safe he could feel the relief, all the same. He let her lay there for a bit, resting like she needed, before he actually started to wash her. Once again, it was a lot less entertaining process than it could be, but he got them both feeling clean before he let the tub drain, then dissipate back into green energy.

Clean and dry (or at least just a bit damp), he settled her onto the bed, climbing in with her and letting out a long breath as he finally relaxed himself. He was sure that some of the energy he maintained while he was on duty was the ring supporting him, focusing his will against fatigue and other aches and pains, but now? Now things seemed all right, didn’t they? “I’m glad you’re all right,” he yawned, pulling her up against him. “Fucking magic card deck… still… guess it turned out okay in the end, right?” She was safe, she was a Star Sapphire, he had a new ring, oh, and that’s right, he was rich. He still wasn’t sure what that other card they’d both drawn meant, but it couldn’t be worse than the day they’d had, right?
Marvel-MCU-1

88 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Clean and dry (or at least just a bit damp), he settled her onto the bed, climbing in with her and letting out a long breath as he finally relaxed himself. He was sure that some of the energy he maintained while he was on duty was the ring supporting him, focusing his will against fatigue and other aches and pains, but now? Now things seemed all right, didn’t they? “I’m glad you’re all right,” he yawned, pulling her up against him. “Fucking magic card deck… still… guess it turned out okay in the end, right?” She was safe, she was a Star Sapphire, he had a new ring, oh, and that’s right, he was rich. He still wasn’t sure what that other card they’d both drawn meant, but it couldn’t be worse than the day they’d had, right?
[/quote]

Kai wrinkled her nose at the idea of talking to her ring before giving the most shrug she could manage and smiling at him. "No stupider than talking to my phone- and I swear I'd be useless without google assistant sometimes." Her muscles twitched with her attempt to move properly- a burn hitting her where the lactic acid was building in her strained muscles- though it seemed everywhere Jake touched was warmed for entirely different reasons. Her muscles were relaxing and doing an entirely different sort of tensing all at the same time. She focused on the former as the other hero offered her a chance to snuggle against him- enjoying the warmth of the water and of him against her back.

When Jake set to work washing her- Well that certainly returned her mind to the here and now.

Kai unintentionally whimpered as his hands slid across her skin- leaving electricity in his wake. It was almost enough to rouse her fully and offer her the energy she desperately wished she had at that moment- but not quite, leaving her leaning her head back against him, eyes half lidded as she used some of the last of her strength to arch into his hands.

She bit her lip to stop the whine that she wanted to let out when he stopped caressing her- instead smiling and again nuzzling into his arms as he dried her. Kai was glad that Jake similarly thought that finding clothes was a fucking waste of time as she finally found herself curled against him in the warmth and comfort of his bed.

She was more or less asleep the instant her head hit the pillow- her mouth responding to Jake's comments without her conscious mind having a single hint of control. "I like the ring- but yeah." She snorted. "Fucking magic cards- dumbest thing I've ever done to impress Jake- and that's a pretty long list." Kai mumbled as she snuggled against his warm figure- eyes distinctly closed.
DCU-Green Lantern Comics

62 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Michael

Jake bit back a laugh, his chest shaking against her back as he pressed up against him. Oh really, was that why they’d gone there? “I thought that he went there to impress you,” he teased quietly, nuzzling against her ear. Hell, that had been the real reason he’d drawn three cards, hadn’t it? Why yes, it had… and it had probably been what made her draw three, and so that kind of made him feel bad… But he’d also gone to rescue her, so that made up for it, didn’t it?

He really hoped she wouldn’t remember this after she woke up, but then she seemed to be well and truly out of it, didn’t she? He nipped at her shoulder as he considered it, then chuckled silently again as he murmured into her ear, his arms wrapping securely across her chest to hold her back against him. “So what other things did you do just to impress him?” he teased. His mind went over a lot of possibilities, many of them performed in a setting very much like this one. Had she not wanted to go skydiving? Into space? He’d never really considered that… she was a thrill-seeker like him, she’d seemed up for anything. It had impressed him, of course… “How much would you do to impress me?” he asked, smirking against her skin. This was going to devolve into sleep-induced gibberish any moment now, he was sure.
Marvel-MCU-1

88 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai flushed at the implication that Jake had gone there to impress her. She moved automatically with the touches, stretching her neck slightly so he had more room to nuzzle. "Doubt it." She mumbled after a moment, brows furrowing. "I don't think Jake cares to try and impress me. Besides I'm already real impressed." Kai offered, grabbing his arms and pulling them tighter like a blanket.

Though a single breath was all that it took for her grip to loosen as she hummed at the feeling of his mouth on her skin. "Not too much. Just like- wearing pretty clothes to get his attention, making jokes when I'm terrified, going along with things that scare me- though that last one is part me trusting him that much." She explained, though her next words were muffled by a deep breath. "im really scured of no' bean a bell to breave."

Her breath settled into longer breaths as she fell deeper asleep. "Pretty much anything." She mumbled in reply to his last question. "So long as it isn' mean. Can just stop bean afraid if I neeeeeeddd." Kai added- the last syllable being unnaturally drawn out by her unconscious mind.

"No' that i' matters. Can' even proteck me- dun know why he'd be impressed with me ever noe."
DCU-Green Lantern Comics

62 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Michael

He didn’t care to what? Jake suppressed another laugh as his arms tightened around her, pulling her tighter against him as his lips teased her neck. Sometimes, he didn’t get women. He apparently got them enough to be able to talk them out of their clothes, true, but that did not make for a deep understanding, he was finding. “So you think that taking a girl diving through a nebula isn’t supposed to be impressive?” he teased. Seriously, he’d been pulling out all the stops on that one. He’d even found a way to end it with an ocean, and those were her ‘thing’!

She hadn’t, it seemed, done much that was outside her comfort zone, which was good. He’d have really hated it if it had turned out she wasn’t into any of the things they’d done after all and was just putting on a brave face for him. The breathing part (after he finally deciphered what she’d been saying) made him look back at the stuff they’d done and wince a little at the dive from orbit into the ocean, but he’d kept her from really needing to hold her breath, at least. He’d just be a little more mindful of that from here out.

Of course, most of what she said ended up taking a backseat to the casual statement that he hadn’t even been able to protect her. That… was a little too close to home for Jake right at the moment. Wrapping his arms a bit tighter around her he rested his forehead against the back of her head. “I’m sorry,” he muttered. He’d say some big thing about how he wouldn’t let her down next time, but what did she need him to be doing that for? She had her own power ring now, she was going to be able to take care of herself even more than she already could, and she’d already been able to take good care of herself.
Marvel-MCU-1

88 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai sighed unintentionally- partially in pleasure at the way his lips felt against her skin- and partially in frustration from the comment. Her nose wrinkled with a strange confusion that she didn't know how else to express. "It was very impressive." She mumbled, her understanding of the sort of date just as poor as her conscious understanding was. "But why would Jake want to impress me?" Kai questioned, cheeks burning despite herself. Consciously she had the sense not to ask since she was confident she wouldn't like the answer- but as she was, she'd do anything to know.

Her flush didn't lighten up when he apologized. "Why? S'not yer falt tha' I can' protex mahself." Her whole face contorted then- face scrunching up to try and stop the desire to cry. Because the way she saw it- it was true. She was supposed to be a superhero, she was supposed to protect those who needed it- and yet she hadn't been able to do a damn thing to protect herself.

Kai really didn't understand why Jake would want her for anything more than a bed buddy. Sure he'd probably met other girls in the past who couldn't take care of themselves- but she had a pretty good idea of how little he cared about them. Hell, she didn't even understand why she cared- why it hurt so much to think that she would never be anything but friends with benefits for Jake. She logically shouldn't care.

Hell, before Kai had met Jake she had kind of thought that she was aromantic. Yet here she was, shaking like a leaf with the very real fear that the guy she was sleeping with would never want anything more- a fear she was starting to realize that came from the fact that she did want more.

Kailani Ruth Mahelona wanted so much more than just casual sex with Jake. She wanted to go to bed at night and for him to always still be there in the morning. She wanted him to be thinking of her throughout the day- to take her out on dates, to kiss her just because he wanted to and not because he was hoping for sex, to introduce her to his friends, to come to her world and meet her parents, to have a drawer filled with her things for when she slept over, and a drawer at her place for when he stayed. In short, Kai wanted him to be hers- not just someone who occasionally paid attention to her.

And she knew how fucking unlikely it was that he felt the same- so she turned and buried her face in the pillow rather than let him see the tears that were rolling down her cheeks- because Kai was an idiot and she had been happy to think she was aromantic- because it meant that she would never hurt like this.
DCU-Green Lantern Comics

62 Posts
3 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Michael

And there it was. She was beating herself up over what had happened, which was just ridiculous since she hadn’t had any choice in the matter when that card had made her just disappear into thin air, had she? The indigo light glowed in his eyes as he felt her pain, her self-recrimination and guilt and embarrassment, a flood of emotions that he simply wasn’t experienced enough to really sort out.

“Hey,” he whispered, squeezing her a little tighter, “Hey, none of that. It’s all right, babe, everything’s all right. It was just bad luck, it could’ve happened to anyone, could’ve happened to me. It all worked out, right?” Right now, he wanted nothing more than to make her feel better, to soothe this pain that was lingering because of what had happened. He couldn’t answer her questions… why did he want to impress her? He didn’t know, he just did, and badly. He could say that it was because she was gorgeous and absolutely addicting, but he knew from experience that that path led to a woman fuming and accusing him of just liking her tits. He didn’t have an answer that he could give in any kind of a useful, coherent fashion, he just knew that he did want to impress her, and more than that he wanted to make this all better. He wanted her to not be beating herself up over this, not be doubting herself, almost crying in her sleep. He didn’t need the Indigo light to make his heart hurt as he felt her shaking quietly, and he just wished, so badly, that he knew what to say.

Hope.

He could see the blue light creeping out from under the sheets from his ring, he could fee that rush in his heart, and he could feel the willpower of his green ring taking it and giving it life. “I don’t know why any of this happened today,” he said, his arms wrapping more tightly across her, his lips resting against her ear. “They just happened. Sometimes things… just happen, and there’s nothing we can do about it. But it’s over. You’re safe, and I made sure of it, just like I’ll make sure of it any time you need it, just like you’ll make sure of it any time I need it. That’s all we need to know. It’s the end of the day, you’re here, I’m here, we’re okay.” He rested his left hand, holding the white ring, against her chest, and for the first time, he could actually understand the power behind those four little words that he’d heard Saint Walker repeat over and over. It was the power of endless opportunity. It was the power of a future being ever ahead and able to be shaped by every bit of will and intent that you could bring to it. It was the power of knowing that if you had something worth fighting for, you could make it happen. It might be that nothing turned out the way that you intended it, but it could be that it turns out better. It could be that you fail and have to try again, but you always could try again. There was always another chance. There was always hope. “All will be well,” he murmured, and now he could feel the blue light washing over her, healing the minor bruises and scrapes she’d gotten that day, but more importantly, filling her heart, giving her something to grab onto to fight off her pain.
Marvel-MCU-1

88 Posts
6 Threads
Moon

Kai's shoulders shook as she dug her hole deeper- each successive thought being accepted and acting as a shovel to bury her under the weight she felt. She didn't stop crying when he pulled her tighter against him- though it was comforting. Not even him calling her babe in a way that would usually have her flushing to her roots did much to comfort her.

But then her heart was filled with... Hope. Of all things, she was hopeful, and every word he spoke to her just made that stronger. Her tears came to stop with a small gasp of confusion- but that didn't last. Because yes, All would be well- and perhaps for the first time, there was a future in her mind where Jake stood beside her, and there were no more questions about how either of them felt. A future where her sister found something she wanted to do, and someone to love-. A future where Kai wasn't afraid of her own feelings.

She laced her fingers with his and squeezed slightly in gratitude. The future he showed her- It was indescribable, and it caused her frown to melt into a small smile...

And her ring to flair pink.