10 Threads
Job: Bodygaurd
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,724
A moon dropping on them.

Nope.

“I need you to go back.” Safi turned to Chris as the cowboy verbalized their shitty options. “There’s almost no chance of success here but I swear if there’s any way to get Belle out I’ll do it.” He glanced over at Barnes making sure they were covered before resting his hands on Chris’s shoulders.

“Please. I need you safe.”
DC-DCTVU-1

539 Posts
23 Threads
Job: PA/Magician
Ship Status: Single with Complications
Sexual Orientation: Pan-Romantic
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,498
They had a limited amount of time to get Belle and the others and get out of here. Christian sent up a silent prayer to god, but he had faith. And then Safi spoke, leaving Chris blinking and shaking his head with a stubborn frown, “Not without Belle, Safi.”

He nearly caved. He wanted to do what Safi wanted him to do, not because he was afraid, but because he wanted to make Safi happy. But this was Belle. “And I need you and Belle to be safe. I’ll be with you, Safi, I’ll be as safe as possible.” Probably safer than he was walking alone in Gotham, really, even with the threat of the moon falling out of orbit. (e)

No damn it! Safi shook his head emphatically “Chris, damn it. You don’t have to prove anything to me or to your sister. She knows you love her. But right now?” Safi blew out a breath, “You're just going to die here with her. She doesn’t want that. You know this.” (E)

“This isn’t about me proving myself, Safi.” His words were flat, and maybe they were just a tiny bit bitter. It always ended up with him thinking that Chris felt some need to prove himself. And that wasn’t it, not even a tiny bit here. Yes, he wanted approval. Yes, he’d love to think he could impress Safi, and even Belle. But that wasn’t why he had to do this. “This is about me not wanting to go back and live my quiet little life all by myself, Safi. This is about me not willing to go and sit, safe and sound, while the two people I care about the most in the world are at risk. This is about me not wanting to live without them. So no, Safi. Please, don’t make me do that.”
DC-TV-1

410 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“So we die together? Me, Belle, you? That’s what you want? What about what we want?!” Safi shook Chris once. “Because I can’t do this. I can go thinking I’m ready to die but I’m not ok with you doing it too!” His distress was muddling his English again and safi was too worked up to notice.

There wasn’t time for this argument and Safi was very tempted to end it with a punch. Damn shield.
“Please.” Safi took a breath “I want to think of you alive.”
DC-DCTVU-1

539 Posts
23 Threads
Nyte

Christian’s face went through several contortions at Safi’s words. He worked so very hard to be fair, to be as unselfish as he could be, and for Safi to ask that… “No, I want us all to live, Safi.” His voice was soft, apologetic, but there was a thread of iron in it, too. “I had sort of hoped that you’d want the same thing.” Christian let himself be shaken, because this was Safi, and because it was Christian. “We’re not going to die, Safi. We’re going to save Belle, and we’re going to get home.” He reached up, resting his hand on Safi’s arm lightly, “That’s why I called you, Safi. Because we can do this, and we can survive. I believe that.” His voice was soothing; Safi was upset, he understood, and he didn’t correct the man’s English this time.

Christian had no idea that Safi wanted to punch him. Hell, he didn’t consider the idea that Safi would ever even consider something like that. Safi could be violent, yes, but he’d never been violent with him (except that time when he was figuring out how to shield, and that was different). “I’m alive, Safi. And I’ll be alive tomorrow. And if we get to a point where it's leave now or get stuck, we can both leave. Together.” And Chris would pray to Belle for forgiveness for the rest of his life.
DC-TV-1

410 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“We are at the point of no return.” Safi forced himself to at least pretend to be calm.

It probably wasn’t working.

“Turn back now or get stuck in.” He shook his head slowly, rubbing his thumbs over the sharp points of the other man's collarbones feeling them even if only in his mind under the armored vest.

“I need you safe.” He reiterated, “If she can be saved I will but-“ safi glanced around anywhere but Chris “i know you. If I get hurt you will hurt yourself. If something goes sideways-“ safi’s hands clamped down on Chris’s armored shoulders spastically. “I can’t watch you die.” He whispered hating how exposed he was in that moment. Hating that he hadn’t somehow managed to keep Chris from coming to this doomed hell hole.
DC-DCTVU-1

539 Posts
23 Threads
Nyte

“No, we’re not. There is nothing saying that if we go further, we can’t turn around and go home later.” Christian could be stubborn, and this was the epitome of that trait; he wasn’t going to turn tail and run and leave the two people he loved most in the world behind. Especially seeing how little faith Safi had that they’d survive. They would either live together or they wouldn’t.

“If you get hurt,” his voice was soft, but fervent, “Then I will heal you, Safi. I can do that, and it doesn’t hurt me to do it.” It might be taxing, but no more than any other spell of the same caliber. “I have no intention of dying here, Safi. This,” he glanced around and made a face, “Would be a terrible and lonely place to spend eternity.” It was hellish, and no, he didn’t want to die. He surged forward to hug the other man, “Let’s just go get Belle, Safi, and get all of us home safe.” He gave Safi a small smile that didn’t really do much to hide how unhappy he was, “I can’t live in a world where you and Belle aren’t alive, Safi, so let’s just succeed.”
DC-TV-1

410 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“God fucking damn it.” He was helpless. Unless he physically dragged Chris back there was no way to win. He was going to die here and he wouldn’t even have the comfort of knowing that Chris was safe. He would fail in every way and-

Chris wasn’t his little brother, what he felt for him wasn’t close to familial. He knew what Chris wanted from him, had known really even before that damn Green bitch had stuck her nose into their lives. He’d willfully ignored it because he knew he couldn’t give the younger man what he deserved, what he needed. Safi wasn’t ready to dive back into any kind of committed relationship and Chris needed someone who was all in.

That didn’t mean Safi wasn’t hiding his own feelings about the man.

Because yes thank you little green bitch he WAS WELL AWARE that he had fallen in love with the tiny, fussy, fondant hating Magican/ PA. And if he hadn’t been up till now. The panic keeping him from thinking straight would be a damn huge fucking alarm bell.

“I can’t think clearly when you are in danger.” His last card, safi laid it out voice quietly defeated. “I-“ if he admitted here and now why he KNEW Chris would never leave. Safi swallowed back the rest of the sentence “Just need to know you are safe to do my job.” He finished quietly.
DC-DCTVU-1

539 Posts
23 Threads
Nyte

Even before Jaya had gone and TOLD Safi how he felt, and especially since then, Christian had never pushed, had never asked for more than what Safi had offered. Friendship. They were friends, and Chris had made himself okay with that; he had made his life around the limits Safi laid out, and he'd found a measure of happiness in it. Was it everything he wanted and dreamed of? No. He wanted more, yes. But he was content. Even when Safi had entered into a relationship with his childhood (and continuing) hero, Chris had worked through it.

He had gone back in time and studied magic, and used that extra time to deal with things. He had focused on keeping what he had instead of what he wished he could have.

Safi's words didn't fall on deaf ears. The smaller man shook ever so slightly, his eyes watering when Safi spoke again, “This isn't a JOB.” The words were miserable, if not for the reason the bodyguard might think at first. “I'm…” he hated that he couldn't keep himself from crying. It was humiliating, “I'm in the way, just being here? Even if I can help?” He wanted to be, for once, a hero. Just as good as Iron Man. But if he was just messing Safi up….
DC-TV-1

410 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

God help him.

It would be so easy to say yes. To get Chris to leave with those words being their final ones, “No. not today.” He agreed quietly, more to himself than Chris. “There is no one I would rather die with.” He admitted “What you can do-“ Safi’s lips curled up in a blink and you miss it smile. “Is amazing.” Yes even if he hated magic he trusted Chris and could find him...well magical. “But you-“ he met Chris’s eyes slowly “Are my weak point. If the goal was just to get you through this than I would be ok, but-“ if it came to a choice between Belle and Chris...well he was afraid the red head would lose.

Safi stepped back lifting his weapon again. “I can’t force you.” They were out of time for this discussion, and he moved to regain his position in the group. “We need to get moving before this damn moon drops on us.” Because that was his fucking life.
DC-DCTVU-1

539 Posts
23 Threads
Nyte

“I'd rather us dying with anyone, even each other, hold off a few decades. I know what I look like 15 years down the road…. And I'd like to see that in the mirror.” Between that and the compliment about his magic, Christian flushed even through his tears; Safi said that…. And he'd smiled, too. Safi had Chris’ full and complete attention. “Get me through this. You focus on you and me. I know, it's going to be so hard to leave your beautiful fiancé in my hands, but I'll worry about Belle, and I'll know you have me.” If that was what Safi needed, then okay.

He couldn't force him… Ha ha. Safi had the unique ability to do exactly that. He just hadn't used the opportunities that had come up. He hadn't said the right words to convince Chris to leave. “Yeah.” Chris reached up to wipe his face with the back of his hand, roughly wiping away the tears there. No wonder people thought him a sissy.
DC-TV-1

410 Posts
10 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

He could have broken him to save him.

And a better man would have.

Instead Safi had let every chance to force Chris to leave slip through his fingers.

Slipping a new mag in safi was genuinely confused by the reference to his ‘fiancee’. He actually paused mid step before clamping down on the quick bark of laughter that half escaped.

“Yes. Cannot leave behind my future bride.”