October 25th, tag Oryn
Harry Potter-Main series

8 Posts
3 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 746
Ophelia materialized an undignified three feet above the ground, and then fell to earth with an undignified *thwap*

She stood up and dusted off her clothing, and checked to make sure that her wand (elm, ten inches long with a unicorn core, nice and flexible, excellent for charm work) was undamaged. Thankfully both it and she were unhurt, and she looked around the place that the potion had taken her.

The location was wholly unfamiliar, as were the people around her, who seemed to be wearing a mix of something close to wizarding robes, Muggle clothing and other styles she didn't recognize.

She did, however, recognize the appearance of a Wizard shop, and that seemed like the best place to get information, so she stepped inside. Once there, Ophelia realized with a start that she knew the man behind the counter, although she hadn't seen him for several years. He'd been a year behind her at Hogwarts, and she'd seen Oryn periodically since then, friendly aquaintences, if not exactly friends. He'd vanished some time ago, although the circumstances hadn't been made public, which wasn't surprising, given that he worked in a secret division of the Ministry.

"Hello, Oryn." she said, walking towards the counter "Its good to see a familiar face. Do you happen to know where 'here' is, precisely?"
Harry Potter-Main Universe

47 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 495
Oryn had a very strong desire to obliviate the unpleasantly familiar face he saw walking through the door. Oh, he didn’t dislike Ophelia. She was a competent witch at the very least, and all of the information he’d seen about her performance after school (school grades were hardly broadcast openly to other students, after all) suggested that she was an exceptional one. He had respect for talent when he came across it, after all. No, the very powerful urge that flitted through his mind stemmed from the question of how in the hell had she gotten here? He’d been fairly sure that the Department of Mysteries had given up the experiment that he’d used when he crossed over, and without his research notes no one should have been able to open the gateway any time soon.

This, of course, led him to the uncomfortable conclusion that there were more portals than just the one he’d charmed open from the gateway in the Department. He’d suspected that such a thing could happen, that initial opening into the hub had been growing until he diverted its energy elsewhere, but this was much sooner than he’d expected, and the person who came through and found him here, not only alive but alive and prospering, had to be someone who actually knew him. This could raise some questions back home, he supposed… but then, he was ever adaptable. Obliviating her would be an understandable reaction, but it would keep him from finding out what he needed to know, and besides… he found the idea that someone who actually understood his world was around to be an attractive prospect.

“Well, now, this is a pleasant surprise,” he said, setting down the ornate rod he had been studying. There were so many treasures that he had gotten his hands on that he hadn’t had a chance to analyze yet, it was as good a pastime as any while the shop was quiet. “Welcome to the world between worlds, Ophelia. I’m forced to wonder exactly how you found yourself here?” Where the portal was… that was a necessary question. Idly an idea formed in his head of moving one of the portals to this shop so that he could walk between the shop in the Hub and one in Diagon Alley… but that was a thought to explore later.
Harry Potter-Main series

8 Posts
3 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"Very pleasant, and very surprising, considering that you're supposed to be dead." Ophelia replied dryly "Between worlds in what sense? A nexus between dimensions, or is it a ante-room to the Other Side?" it was always best to be clear, and, from what she remembered Oryn always had had a bit of a penchant for the dramatic "I'm here because a potion worked rather differently than I had anticipated." Ophelia said. "It was supposed to transfer me from the lab to ante-room at the Ministry, instead I found myself here."

47 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Oh, come now, you can’t be someone these days without people thinking you’re dead for a time. Everyone’s doing it,” Oryn said dismissively. “Unless ‘supposed to be’ is a request, in which case I’m rather hurt. I can’t imagine why anyone would want me to be dead. In fact, in this case, you should rather hope I’m still alive… which, of course, I am, as am you. Your first guess is on the mark. Fifty points awarded, well done.” Almost as an afterthought, he placed the rod under the counter in one of the secure cabinets. A man had to have his secrets, and Ophelia was almost too perceptive for his tastes.

Granted, her talent seemed to be being wasted on make-work at the moment, which was sad. “Oh dear, don’t tell me that they’re still funding a potion to replace floo powder,” he said, sighing a bit. “As soon as you get back, do yourself quite a large favor and destroy any notes you might have had that anyone else might be able to copy, because the formula you’ve just stumbled upon is far too valuable for you to spread about, and as I tried to tell those over-eagers in Magical Transportation, there’s not going to be enough market for what they’ve been trying to get developed.” Given the cheapness of floo powder and the fact that any wizard with a wand (and any sense) could apparate, an expensive potion was not going to replace any of the options currently in place.
Harry Potter-Main series

8 Posts
3 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"I honestly don't have much of an opinion on that, although in this case, the fact that both of us are alive is certainly a welcome statement." Ophelia replied, not dignifying the fact that he'd awarded points to her House with a response. Hogwarts was long behind her, and unlike most of her former classmates, she didn't miss her school days. If Oryn wished to dwell on them that was his lookout.

"Yes, working on an alternative to floo powder." Ophelia said "Its best to have alternatives, and research is how progress is made. If someone weren't willing to try new ways of doing things, we'd be living in caves and eating raw meat. I certainly shall conceal my notes, however, it wouldn't do for this place to become a tourist destination after all, and I rather like the idea of having someplace that I can escape to, should that ever become essential. Tell me though, why did you decide to stay here, instead of heading home? Are we trapped, or did you decide that you were happier as a shopkeeper than being an Unmentionable?"

47 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Well, I don’t know,” Oryn admitted, glancing around. “If this were what death was like, I don’t think I’d particularly mind much, but somehow I doubt that it would be quite this interesting. Pity, really, but I suppose that if it promised endless diversions, people would be arranging to meet some untimely end far much more often than they already do.” Imagine that, a world full of hotheads ready to run in wands blazing at every little problem that could get them killed. It would be like school all over again, he supposed.

Oryn, for his part, didn’t dignify her defense of the potion with an answer. Oh, it was certain that someone might pay for such a potion, but the demand would never be high enough to justify the price of the ingredients (not to mention the expertise to brew it properly) that he’d seen estimated. Certainly there would be some profit to be made, but not nearly enough to justify sinking Ministry funds into it. But, then, that wasn’t his concern to deal with, now was it. One day, if he decided to become Minister, that would be another matter.

“Come now… a shopkeeper? Is that all you see here? It’s certainly not inaccurate, I suppose, but it hardly does it justice. Take a look about the room, look at some of the items that pass through my hands… and these are just the pieces I’m willing to sell. There’s magic to be found that those on our world think impossible, which may even be impossible there. If I can figure out the means and the reasons… well, that would be quite an unspeakable discovery, would it not?”
Harry Potter-Main series

8 Posts
3 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"I suppose you're right." Ophelia said, looking around the shop with an interested air. She didn't feel the need to defend her potions research-it was undoubtedly a niche market, but that was Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs' bread and butter, finding niche markets and exploiting them. If Oryn choose to disapprove, well, that was the difference between the Ministry and private industry.

"Yes, yes, its a very impressive shop, I'd expect nothing less from you." Ophelia replied "Different kinds of magic? Now, that is interesting. Does our sort of magic work in those worlds? It would be a pity if our travel opportunities were limited to worlds similar enough that our magic works, after all."