Thread Contributor: Ophelia GlasscockI'm Not Lost, Just Misplaced
Harry Potter-Main series

42 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 922
Ophelia materialized an undignified three feet above the ground, and then fell to earth with an undignified *thwap*

She stood up and dusted off her clothing, and checked to make sure that her wand (elm, ten inches long with a unicorn core, nice and flexible, excellent for charm work) was undamaged. Thankfully both it and she were unhurt, and she looked around the place that the potion had taken her.

The location was wholly unfamiliar, as were the people around her, who seemed to be wearing a mix of something close to wizarding robes, Muggle clothing and other styles she didn't recognize.

She did, however, recognize the appearance of a Wizard shop, and that seemed like the best place to get information, so she stepped inside. Once there, Ophelia realized with a start that she knew the man behind the counter, although she hadn't seen him for several years. He'd been a year behind her at Hogwarts, and she'd seen Oryn periodically since then, friendly aquaintences, if not exactly friends. He'd vanished some time ago, although the circumstances hadn't been made public, which wasn't surprising, given that he worked in a secret division of the Ministry.

"Hello, Oryn." she said, walking towards the counter "Its good to see a familiar face. Do you happen to know where 'here' is, precisely?"
Harry Potter-Main Universe

56 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

All Accounts Posts: 849
Oryn had a very strong desire to obliviate the unpleasantly familiar face he saw walking through the door. Oh, he didn’t dislike Ophelia. She was a competent witch at the very least, and all of the information he’d seen about her performance after school (school grades were hardly broadcast openly to other students, after all) suggested that she was an exceptional one. He had respect for talent when he came across it, after all. No, the very powerful urge that flitted through his mind stemmed from the question of how in the hell had she gotten here? He’d been fairly sure that the Department of Mysteries had given up the experiment that he’d used when he crossed over, and without his research notes no one should have been able to open the gateway any time soon.

This, of course, led him to the uncomfortable conclusion that there were more portals than just the one he’d charmed open from the gateway in the Department. He’d suspected that such a thing could happen, that initial opening into the hub had been growing until he diverted its energy elsewhere, but this was much sooner than he’d expected, and the person who came through and found him here, not only alive but alive and prospering, had to be someone who actually knew him. This could raise some questions back home, he supposed… but then, he was ever adaptable. Obliviating her would be an understandable reaction, but it would keep him from finding out what he needed to know, and besides… he found the idea that someone who actually understood his world was around to be an attractive prospect.

“Well, now, this is a pleasant surprise,” he said, setting down the ornate rod he had been studying. There were so many treasures that he had gotten his hands on that he hadn’t had a chance to analyze yet, it was as good a pastime as any while the shop was quiet. “Welcome to the world between worlds, Ophelia. I’m forced to wonder exactly how you found yourself here?” Where the portal was… that was a necessary question. Idly an idea formed in his head of moving one of the portals to this shop so that he could walk between the shop in the Hub and one in Diagon Alley… but that was a thought to explore later.
Harry Potter-Main series

42 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"Very pleasant, and very surprising, considering that you're supposed to be dead." Ophelia replied dryly "Between worlds in what sense? A nexus between dimensions, or is it a ante-room to the Other Side?" it was always best to be clear, and, from what she remembered Oryn always had had a bit of a penchant for the dramatic "I'm here because a potion worked rather differently than I had anticipated." Ophelia said. "It was supposed to transfer me from the lab to ante-room at the Ministry, instead I found myself here."

56 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Oh, come now, you can’t be someone these days without people thinking you’re dead for a time. Everyone’s doing it,” Oryn said dismissively. “Unless ‘supposed to be’ is a request, in which case I’m rather hurt. I can’t imagine why anyone would want me to be dead. In fact, in this case, you should rather hope I’m still alive… which, of course, I am, as am you. Your first guess is on the mark. Fifty points awarded, well done.” Almost as an afterthought, he placed the rod under the counter in one of the secure cabinets. A man had to have his secrets, and Ophelia was almost too perceptive for his tastes.

Granted, her talent seemed to be being wasted on make-work at the moment, which was sad. “Oh dear, don’t tell me that they’re still funding a potion to replace floo powder,” he said, sighing a bit. “As soon as you get back, do yourself quite a large favor and destroy any notes you might have had that anyone else might be able to copy, because the formula you’ve just stumbled upon is far too valuable for you to spread about, and as I tried to tell those over-eagers in Magical Transportation, there’s not going to be enough market for what they’ve been trying to get developed.” Given the cheapness of floo powder and the fact that any wizard with a wand (and any sense) could apparate, an expensive potion was not going to replace any of the options currently in place.
Harry Potter-Main series

42 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"I honestly don't have much of an opinion on that, although in this case, the fact that both of us are alive is certainly a welcome statement." Ophelia replied, not dignifying the fact that he'd awarded points to her House with a response. Hogwarts was long behind her, and unlike most of her former classmates, she didn't miss her school days. If Oryn wished to dwell on them that was his lookout.

"Yes, working on an alternative to floo powder." Ophelia said "Its best to have alternatives, and research is how progress is made. If someone weren't willing to try new ways of doing things, we'd be living in caves and eating raw meat. I certainly shall conceal my notes, however, it wouldn't do for this place to become a tourist destination after all, and I rather like the idea of having someplace that I can escape to, should that ever become essential. Tell me though, why did you decide to stay here, instead of heading home? Are we trapped, or did you decide that you were happier as a shopkeeper than being an Unmentionable?"

56 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Well, I don’t know,” Oryn admitted, glancing around. “If this were what death was like, I don’t think I’d particularly mind much, but somehow I doubt that it would be quite this interesting. Pity, really, but I suppose that if it promised endless diversions, people would be arranging to meet some untimely end far much more often than they already do.” Imagine that, a world full of hotheads ready to run in wands blazing at every little problem that could get them killed. It would be like school all over again, he supposed.

Oryn, for his part, didn’t dignify her defense of the potion with an answer. Oh, it was certain that someone might pay for such a potion, but the demand would never be high enough to justify the price of the ingredients (not to mention the expertise to brew it properly) that he’d seen estimated. Certainly there would be some profit to be made, but not nearly enough to justify sinking Ministry funds into it. But, then, that wasn’t his concern to deal with, now was it. One day, if he decided to become Minister, that would be another matter.

“Come now… a shopkeeper? Is that all you see here? It’s certainly not inaccurate, I suppose, but it hardly does it justice. Take a look about the room, look at some of the items that pass through my hands… and these are just the pieces I’m willing to sell. There’s magic to be found that those on our world think impossible, which may even be impossible there. If I can figure out the means and the reasons… well, that would be quite an unspeakable discovery, would it not?”
Harry Potter-Main series

42 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"I suppose you're right." Ophelia said, looking around the shop with an interested air. She didn't feel the need to defend her potions research-it was undoubtedly a niche market, but that was Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs' bread and butter, finding niche markets and exploiting them. If Oryn choose to disapprove, well, that was the difference between the Ministry and private industry.

"Yes, yes, its a very impressive shop, I'd expect nothing less from you." Ophelia replied "Different kinds of magic? Now, that is interesting. Does our sort of magic work in those worlds? It would be a pity if our travel opportunities were limited to worlds similar enough that our magic works, after all."

56 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

She wouldn't expect anything else from him... was she being sarcastic? He couldn't tell with this woman, that could be sarcasm. But... no, he was just going to take it at face value. It wouldn't do to start looking for insults when so many of them just offered themselves up to him on a daily basis. He was going to be fairly phenomenal at whatever he took on, after all, it wasn't surprising that someone else knew it. "Well thank you, but now how about you actually look around at the things here, like I said?" he said, cocking an eyebrow. "Like, oh say, this one," he said, pointing with his wand so that a cauldron in the corner shook a bit to make itself known. "It conjures food from nothing, quite an amount per day. Quite an impossible item on our world, our magic can't create food. I've studied it, I've activated it, I've examined the magic on it, and so far it's taken me this long to confirm that yes, it really is performing a feat of magic that is considered impossible in our world. And now, while I wait for it to be purchased, I get to study it and figure out how we can do so." It was Oryn's personal belief, after all, that there was nothing that was truly impossible (for him, at least), only that there were things he hadn't quite figured out yet. "But yes, our magic works on those worlds... those that aren't magically dead, at least. It's quite amusing... some of our magic works in ways that they simply aren't prepared for either."
Harry Potter-Main series

42 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

As it happened, Ophelia's statement was, like many of the things she said, both sarcastic and sincere. The sarcasm was aimed at Oryn's pretensions, which seemed to be as considerable as they'd been when they were at school, the sincerity was aimed at the fact that he was almost talented enough to back up those pretensions.

For example, his obtaining the Cauldron, and his examination of it "Well, that is interesting." she said, walking over and examining the cauldron herself "May I ask how much you're asking for such a wondrous device?" not that she was particularly interested in buying, but was useful to have a baseline. "It does make sense that we'd have a few tricks that other worlds haven't figured out either." she glanced at him "I imagine you're making a tidy sum selling magic from our world to other ones." she didn't sound disturbed by the idea, rather, it sounded like she was just asking out of interest, operating on the assumption that someone who had been in Slytherin wouldn't miss a trick.

56 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“In our currency? About a million galleons,” Oryn answered. It sounded like a high price, of course, but when you considered that it would take care of your food needs for the rest of your life? Well, it was still a high price, he supposed. “Once I’ve managed to learn everything I can from it, that number might go down a fair bit, but not too much. It’s quite a powerful item, after all.” In truth? He didn’t care if he ever sold it. Most of the things he did sell, he didn’t care about, and he kept all of the most powerful items that crossed his path… which of course, he wasn’t going to show to Ophelia. A man needed to have his secrets, and she wasn’t exactly what he’d call an ally.

All the same, when she asked him about the secrets he’d peddled, he shrugged. “Not so many as you might think. A few potions here and there, nothing spectacular. I’m not particularly as eager to share my own secrets as I am to gather in those from other worlds.” After all… any good Slytherin knew to expect to be stabbed in the back at any point in time. The less anyone knew about what you could do, the less likely they were to be able to overcome you.
Harry Potter-Main series

42 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

Well, she wouldn't expect Oryn to under-price his merchandise, and he certainly hadn't surprised her. For what was being offered, a million galleons would probably a fair price. More than she cared to pay, of course. She wondered if he was pricing it high because he didn't care to sell it, but of course she didn't say that, instead observing "Well, I suppose that rather depends on the quality of the food it produces. I don't think I'd pay a million galleons for something that only puts out the spotted dick that they serve in the Ministry cafeteria, for example."

"Learning all you can while sharing as little as possible of your own work. Are you sure that you weren't in Ravenclaw?" Ophelia asked, teasing "So you wouldn't object if I were to sell a few potions, here and there? This place seems like it will be quite interesting, and I think I'd like to stay for a bit, and not everyone can tap into the Vance fortune." Not that she thought his permission was required, but he'd gotten here first, so it seemed polite to ask.

56 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Well, I’ve only tested it once so far,” Oryn admitted. “The food was reasonably good. Nothing extravagant, but enjoyable enough. I’ve no idea if it can vary the food from use to use. Reportedly, once every so often, it can produce a veritably magnificent feast, but I haven’t tested that yet, either. I should know more once I have a chance to perform more experiments. The problem is that these experiments take quite a while to arrange, and there are so many objects to experiment on.” He’d probably manage another one in a few weeks. He preferred to advertise them as charitable events. Free meals for the unfortunate, things like that, they went over marvelously, and it was never a bad thing to paint one’s self as a philanthropist, after all. If it did enough for his reputation, he might just keep the bloody cauldron and have someone give out food every night from it to the Hub residents.

“Oh, I’m positive that I wasn’t a Ravenclaw, I expect to get something other than recognition or knowledge for what I find out,” he countered with a smirk. “And by all means, ply your trade. As long as you aren’t besmirching my establishment’s name while you’re at it, I don’t see how we’ll have any problems.” The potions weren’t a huge part of his business, after all. Some people would still buy from him regardless when they were in the building, and if she started selling through him on consignment, it might just make his life easier anyway.
Harry Potter-Main series

42 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"I'm glad that the food was tasty. I can quite understand not having a great deal of time for experiments, but I shouldn't think that giving away free food would be terribly difficult." Ophelia observed "But I'm sure that you're a very busy man, since you have the shop to run, and so many things to experiment on. What else have you found that is of interest?" she asked, glancing around the shop.

"Well, I certainly don't intend to besmirch your reputation, or my own for that matter." Ophelia replied "I may be a lowly Ravenclaw, but I do take pride in my work. In fact I was going to ask if you'd be willing to take some of the potions on consignment here, rather than trying to open my own shop. If that would be agreeable to you, of course."

56 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Well, it does make some sense,” Oryn reasoned. “Why on earth would anyone develop an item that produced horrid food? Unless, I suppose, it was made to prepare the food in a prison… all right, I suppose that’s a possibility, although it seems like a waste of magic to do that instead of just getting it right.” And just like that, he made a mental note to figure out if magic to make digestible but unappealing food would be simpler than the magic that created good food. It was something to know, after all, and he might find a use for the knowledge. There were prisons all over, after all.

He started rummaging around for something else interesting, rather enjoying having a receptive audience. Much of the things he found were commonplace to Torynn, after all, so he could hardly expect her to do more than just indulge him in the novelty of the objects to him. “Oh, I can stock your wares and quite willingly, although I’ll advise you to spread your wares about. While it might simply be the limitations of my potion brewing, potions are hardly the biggest business I have.” Or, he should say, while it might be the limitations of the potion brewing he was willing to display. He wasn’t selling anything nearly as fabulous as what he could make.

“Ah, here’s a curious little item,” he said, pulling a necklace out. “It protects you from the environment. Wear it, and you can breathe any air you come across that isn’t a distinct poison, and even those are easier to resist with it on.”
Harry Potter-Main series

42 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"I didn't mean that they'd done so deliberately, but it stands to reason that making a cauldron that is enchanted to produce food might be a bit fiddily, but if it would produce something that was remotely edible it might still be useful-I wasn't thinking of someone making deliberately substandard food." Ophelia replied, sounding a bit shocked at Oryn's suggestion.

"Then I shall do so." Ophelia said, nodding in agreement. It did surprise her a bit that Oryn was willing to send custom to other shops, but perhaps they had different specialties. Or perhaps he really was concerned for her welfare, unlikely as that possibility seemed. "Are there any particular potions that you think might sell well?" she asked, assuming that he might not be able to brew everything that his customers might want.

"That does sound quite useful. May I examine it?" Ophelia asked, holding out her hand. She knew spells to clear the air, of course, but a necklace that did it automatically could be quite useful.

56 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Well, you’d think that if it wasn’t the goal, they’d rework the magic until it gave the result they wanted, wouldn’t you?” he pointed out. “And if it makes the magic simpler to make, or even if it adds to the amount or frequency of its output, substandard, yet adequately nourishing food is a legitimate option for matters where you don’t need to worry about the opinion of those eating from it. I daresay that if they could feed a few hundred people with one of these things but it would only make cold gruel, Azkaban would have one in a heartbeat and one to spare in case it broke.” And there he went, blabbing out his theory before he had tested it. Ah, well, that’s what he got for getting excited about an idea.

Oryn really had no reason to wish Ophelia to have poor luck with her profession, of course. She wanted to have him sell her potions, and that was fine, it saved him effort and helped him keep tabs on her. What he didn’t want, however, was to have her harping at him about how little they were selling and getting her nose pushed farther into his business than he wanted. Of course, getting into the reasons behind things was giving her more answers than he wanted to, and so he pushed right along to the subject of the necklace and the potions she’d make. “People seem to have need frequently for cures, so any general purpose healing potions would probably sell. Aside from that, this place is just like any other. Remedies, sleeping potions, memory enhancers… I’m sure you know what potions sell well.”

He sent the necklace gliding over to her with a wave of his wand. He’d thought about making a necklace that did the opposite, of course, something that would clear the air until he, the one who had the command word, told it to foul the air and poison the wearer into unconsciousness… but that was a project for later, after he’d done more learning and had the free time to experiment.
Harry Potter-Main series

42 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"That depends on the nature of the enchantment." Ophelia pointed out. Potions might be her first and truest love, but she wasn't bad when it came to charms. "I've found that its often the case that trying to alter an enchantment is more difficult that simply starting over, and items don't always react well to being repeatedly unenchanted and re-enchanted. Of course, this is all speculation, since, as you say, the cauldron works well." When he brought up the possibility of a cauldron designed to make cold gruel for prisoners, she couldn't help but give him a very pointed look. "Speaking only for myself, I have to say that thinking 'this would appeal to the jailers as Azkaban' ought to be a reason not to do it. You, though, may do as you like, I shan't interfere." having said her piece, Ophelia was more than happy to let the topic of conversation move on to more congenial topics.

"So, the usual." she said, once he'd listed off the potions he though would be good sellers. "Yes, I think I ought to be able to manage that quite easily, once I can find a suitable work space." Oryn hadn't offered, and she wasn't inclined to ask him to supply one, since he'd shown that he couldn't be entirely trusted. Better to keep things on a professional footing, and to make sure that she had work and living space that was unrelated to Mr. Vance.

56 Posts
6 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Mike

“Oh, that’s quite true, but we’re talking about magic that our world has never even heard of or been able to use,” Oryn pointed out. There was quite a bit of argument he could make… but honestly? He didn’t particularly have any ambitions to make gold selling cheap food to prisons, so it wasn’t like he was about to start researching how to make the things easier to make by making the food less palatable. He particularly didn’t need to argue this with the woman who would research an apparition potion that cost twenty galleons a use just to prove she could make it.

“Yes, the usual,” Oryn confirmed. “Be prepared for them to have more pleasant means available to them than skele-grow, though. Anything that we would consider unpleasant but necessary, they might argue on the second point. Whether their alternatives really are better… well, I’m afraid you’ll have to look into that matter, I haven’t explored all of the alternatives that are out there yet. You might be able to compete on cost in that regard, I’ll give you that.” Offering her any sort of space to occupy her time, however, hadn’t even crossed her mind. While he was sure that there was nothing that anyone could find in his business to attach legitimate fault to, he really didn’t need another nose in it. Vivian had shown she was of a similar mind to him, he could deal with her. Ophelia? No. No thank you, pretty though the scenery might be, he didn’t care to linger in that particular area.
Harry Potter-Main series

42 Posts
6 Threads
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"Oh to be sure." Ophelia agreed "this is all speculation, without further examination of the cauldron." a examination that, she had to admit, she was interested in making. Not because she was especially interested in the cauldron in and of itself, but it was a pretty puzzle. "If you want assistance examining it, or any of the other items you have here, I'd be glad to assist you." and not, as Oryn might suspect, because she would be trying to undercut him, or steal from him, but simply for the joy of discovery. Not that she expect him to understand that, and if she said so, he'd be even more suspicious, so she said nothing.

"I'll certainly keep that in mind." Ophelia said, reasonably confident that he was giving her good advice. Even if that wasn't his intention, relatively painless potions that could be made cheaply sounded like a good place to start. "Can you suggest a good place to take lodgings?" Ophelia asked, since he knew the place better than she did, by several orders of magnitude.