Marvel-MCU

26 Posts
5 Threads
Job: Superhero?
Ship Status: Soviet Spouses
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 269
Bucky had no intention of being caught in the rain- it had simply happened that he was distracted long enough to find that his path back to the place he was staying (he hesitated to call it 'his' even though it had been built from Steve's memories of the place) was quite sodden. He pulled his jacket over his head to prevent the water dripping too much into his eyes. Of course- being able to see that clearly meant that he could clearly notice Steve sitting on a bench in the pouring rain doing literally nothing to leave that position.

Bucky groaned despite himself, eyes rolling so thoroughly that his head rolled a little with it. He marched up to the idiot wasting his health and cuffed him on the back of the head. Reaching down and grabbing the idiot's arm, he hoisted him to his feet regardless of whether or not he had opinions of that. "Come on Steve. I know- I know. You're a super soldier- but that is no excuse for inviting sickness." He began lecturing as he dragged the man in to the nearest building. Thankfully it was the one he lived in, so he could force the man to change into warm clothes if nothing else. "Is this a tony thing? Because it's bad enough staying in a different reality just because you have feelings- Which if I haven't mentioned yet today- real dumb- but trying to destroy your health? Would anyone who cared about you- yes Tony included- want to see you unwell?" He grumbled, yanking the door open with perhaps a bit more force than strictly necessary. The door handle deformed slightly which Bucky grimaced at.

Pulling Steve in behind him, Bucky turned to continue his tirade before meeting the gaze of someone who was distinctly not his Steve. Bucky sighed and ducked his head, pushing his hand through his hair and loosing his grip on the other man. "I want to apologize for accosting you despite you not knowing me- In my defense you look much more like my best friend than I was really anticipating. Though I suppose Steve did mention there was more than one of him. Also in my defense- I'm sure your Bucky would lecture you too." Bucky said as his face went from apologetic to angry again as he once again whacked the other man's head. "Truly- what were you doing, other Steve? Do you at least have a good excuse for sitting in the rain? Like your water was out and you needed a shower- which is a terrible excuse- but still better than sitting there because you were having 'emotions' that you could certainly have inside where it's not damp and cold."
Marvel-616 Universe

163 Posts
5 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

All Accounts Posts: 173
Steve sits out in the rain, oblivious to the icy water dripping down his back. It's been days and Mr. Stark still hasn't reconfigured the portal to open so they can rescue Bucky. He wants to storm into his lab and demand that he open it right this second, but he knows that that isn't how science works and that Mr. Stark is doing his best. So instead he sits here and reminisces. It had started out happy, but had rapidly morphed into something that Steve was pointedly not referring to as a "pity party."

His not pity party, however, is forcibly interrupted by a man with a metal arm. He then begins scolding Steve and rambling on about Tony. There's something vaguely familiar about the man. Should he know this man? His face...it bothers Steve that he can't quite place it. Like there is a part of him screaming at him that he should be able to.

Then the man meets his eye and grimaces, apologizing briefly. So he's from the other Steve's universe. That still doesn't help Steve place him, though it does explain the (probably well deserved) scolding.

"Also in my defense- I'm sure your Bucky would lecture you too."

Steve feels like he's been punched in the gut. He takes a closer look. The man is older than his Bucky and his hair is a few shades darker, he also has a freaking metal arm, but the eyes are the shade of blue and the smile is the one that has haunted Steve's memories for months.

Steve doesn't hear anything else Bucky says. "Bucky" he whispers and then all but throws himself at him, capturing him in a tight hug. Steve buries his face into Bucky's shoulder, because this Bucky is almost as tall as him. "Bucky" he mumbles again, unable to think of anything more intelligent to say. And somewhere in the back of his mind he knows that this isn't his Bucky, but he's a Bucky and right now Steve just wants to enjoy the moment of basking in the presence of a Bucky Barnes.
Marvel-MCU

26 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky froze solid for a good ten seconds before he came to terms with what was happening. Awkwardly bringing his arms up around the other man Bucky gave a brief hug- until the it became clear that this Steve was not about to let go. With a sigh, Bucky pulled him in properly and started rubbing Steve's back to try and comfort him. "Yes Steve." He confirmed when the other man remained fixated on the fact that this was in fact Bucky.

"You must be 1960's Steve- meaning you haven't gotten your Bucky back yet." He mumbled to himself, quite willing to share his body heat with the other man until he got his mind back. Bucky patted him on the back a few more times. "There There. It'll all be okay." Using the full force of his arms, Bucky pushed Steve far enough off to meet his eyes. "I'm happy to sit and talk for as long as you need Steve- but my apartment is just upstairs so let's go and get some towels and dry clothes for now- alright?"

Bucky began walking backwards towards the stairs to try and herd Steve rather than pull him along with him. This poor variant seemed quite distressed by seeing Bucky again and so Bucky figured he'd try to make it easier for him and remain facing him for the time being.
Marvel-616 Universe

163 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve feels arms encircle him, pressing him tightly to a broad warm chest. Bucky's chest was never that broad and his arms were never this strong. This is a grown man, easily as old as himself before him, not the boy he had last seen. At least he has Bucky's good natured patience as he let's Steve cling to him for a little while longer.

Finally he gently pushes Steve away so they could look at each other properly. Steve's eyes drift to the shiny metal arm. This Bucky lost an arm! Did it hurt? How did he lose it? Did his Bucky also lose an arm?? Steve pulls his eyes away when Bucky starts talking.

Apartment. Dry clothes. Talking. All sounded good. Bucky backs up slowly, maintaining eye contact like he's dealing with a frightened animal who may bolt. Steve follows him easily. As if he would let Bucky out of his sight now.

They make it up the stairs and into the apartment. Once inside Steve is overcome with how uncomfortable the situation is. He doesn't know this man in front of him, not really. He should apologize for practically tackling him and leave so other Bucky can get back to his day. He doesn't need to comfort a grieving Steve Rogers who isn't actually his Steve. Especially not when his Steve is running around the hub somewhere, not even properly appreciating that his Bucky is alive and well. He just can't make his legs move.
Marvel-MCU

26 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky couldn't help but be vaguely amused but the concerned looks this Steve was giving his arm- his Steve had all but ignored it. Though admittedly he had more pressing things to focus on when the two had been reintroduced- the fact that Bucky was trying to kill him for one. The soldier held back a shrug, he'd answer questions if this cap asked- but Bucky knew that the other man was from a world where he took care of Bucky (not the other way around) and the assassin couldn't help but try and spare him the gruesome details of what may have happened to his friend.

He almost felt bad for showing up in front of this Steve- forcing the man to come face to face with what he'd lost. Hell- most people he'd met from worlds with Buckys- had a whole mess of complicated feelings regarding them. Entering his apartment, he disappeared for a moment- returning to find that Steve hadn't moved an inch- seeming ill at ease in the not quite 1940's apartment. Bucky suppressed a sigh.

He walked up to the other man and flipped a towel on to his head before handing him a neatly folded tee and sweat pants. "Come on Steve, get changed, and I'll make us something warm to drink." He offered with a clasped hand on the shoulder before heading to the kitchen- pulling off his soaked shirt as he went. Without even thinking about it, he had the kettle boiling as he did up his clean button up shirt.

There were many words that could be used to describe Bucky- but inefficient was not one of them. Before either of them had even really processed the goings on- the drinks were done and set at the coffee table where they could flop into the comfy chairs there. Bucky paused. "Shit, I didn't think to ask what you wanted- I hope this is okay." He explained awkwardly, as he realized that he had made his Steve's favourite on auto pilot.
Marvel-616 Universe

163 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

A distant part of Steve's mind notes that Bucky looks calm, if slightly amused, by all this. Steve can't imagine why. This isn't funny. Steve is torn between running out and hugging Bucky again and having a good cry on his shoulder.

Bucky returns and everything goes dark as a towel is tossed over his head. Steve pulls it off and, acting on autopilot, towels his hair. The clothes Bucky hands him are ones he's never seen before. He can only assume they are the other Steve's. He feels awkward wearing the other man's clothes, but he would have to go back out in the rain to get back to the mansion and his own clothes. He puts them on and they fit, although the shirt is a bit snug.

Bucky places a hot cup of coffee in front of him. It's his favorite. Occasionally, on days when Sargeant Duffy was at his worse, Bucky would make Steve a cup and bring it to his tent. It was an appreciated effort that warmed Steve's heart every time...but Bucky couldn't cook, couldn't even make coffee without ruining it.

"Thank you. This is...great." Steve says taking a small sip, "my Bucky's coffee always came out tasting like sludge."

Steve takes another sip...and quietly wishes he was drinking gross coffee with his Bucky, rather than great coffee with this stranger.
Marvel-MCU

26 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky sighed with a shake of his head- despite that the smile on his face showed he wasn't truly upset. "Of course- All Steve Rogers' have to be too muscular for my clothes. I can probably find a larger shirt if you'd like- I just don't know that I have a clean one." He offered with a laugh. Bucky was suddenly grateful that Steve hadn't grown too much taller than him- the assassin wasn't sure he could handle it if his best friend was not only suddenly too muscular for his clothes- but too tall for them.

The way the other man describes the coffee- Bucky can't help but be both relieved and disappointed. He liked having Steve's attention- his own Steve seemed to barely notice him half the time- and alright he was still pretty grumpy about the waking up without Steve there thing. Bucky had had a brief moment of panic when he woke where two situations popped into his head- that Hydra had found him and were waking him up to rewipe him- and that he had been left to sleep until his friend had long since passed. So to say that he wished Steve had been there for him was an understatement.

But it was still good to see this other Steve starting to recognize that he didn't actually know the man in front of him.

Sitting back with his own cup of coffee, he surreptitiously pulled on a glove that had been on the coffee table. Bucky had been avoiding hiding his arm- but he couldn't help but think that it made this other Steve uncomfortable.

"Your Bucky was younger than you, right? Not the other way around like my world? What was he like?"
Marvel-616 Universe

163 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

"No..no this is fine. Thank you." Steve says politely. This was Bucky's shirt? That hurts. There was a time when Steve used to tease him for being such a string bean. Reminding himself that this wasn't his Bucky only helped so much.

Bucky takes a seat across from Steve, covering his hand with a glove discreetly in the process. Good to know in all universes Bucky is still polite and always thinking about others comfort. He gently prods Steve for information on his Bucky. Information, Steve is all to happy to share.

Steve's eyes light up. "Bucky's swell! Bit of a hot head, always pick fights guys twice his size because they're nothing but lousy bullies and Bucky's got no patience for that type. He's a good pal, always has my back and clever too. Far cleverer than sergeant Duffy gave him credit for."
Marvel-MCU

26 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky just about sighed in relief when Steve's eyes lit up- The sergeant had been worries that his attempt to make the man feel better would only make him feel worse. He did have to bit his lip to try and contain his snickers.

"Sounds a lot like this one scrawny guy I used to know- he'd use a garbage can lid as a shield despite barely being able to lift it. Even the day I shipped out I had to go and save him from a fight he'd started." Bucky replied, eyes bright and smile wide- if Steve couldn't figure out who he was talking about- he probably wouldn't be able to stop himself from falling over laughing.

He did take a pause to register the title. "Yeah my Steve had a Duffy too- I never had to listen to him though." He replied before grinning and pulling his dogtags from under his shirt. The dogtags weren't originals- those had long ago been melted down by Hydra- but he had someone make him a new set. It was good for first thing in the morning when he woke up and was the winter soldier- very confused about all that was happening. Reminded him that he had a name. A life.

Focusing on the here and now, he offered Steve a grin. "I guess I never officially introduced myself- Sergeant James Buchanan Barnes- formerly of the 107th."
Marvel-616 Universe

163 Posts
5 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve stares at him for a few moment before it clicks about who Bucky is talking about.

"I only used a trash can lid one time," he grumbles good naturedly.

Bucky looks like that cat who got the cream as he hands Steve his dog tags. Steve has seen that playful smirk on his Bucky's face more times than he can count. Steve looks at the tags as sergeant Barnes formally introduces himself.

"Holy smokes. Are you serious?" Steve says, he looks up at Bucky. He can practically feel himself bursting with pride.

"Bucky always used to say that some day he was going to take Duffy's job." He laughs.