Marvel-Movies-1

49 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Ship Status: Married
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

All Accounts Posts: 1,375
Five hours after he returned home a freshly showered Henri Lebeau set out once again. His Fathers ring weighed heavily on his hand today, that his first real issue as Patriarch must have to do with his little brother, the little brother whom he had not hardly had a chance to see often in these long years since his exile…it was a burden.

The last thing he needed was his wife and brother on opposite sides of a dividing line, especially when for both it had become apparently a line in the sand.

Hopefully remy was home, he did not want to hunt the younger man. Knocking on Remys door Henri waited for a reply.
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

124 Posts
3 Threads
Job: Thief/Scout/Scoundrel
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,207
Remy was asleep. Finally. Leaving Mercy’s office, he had headed for the nearest bar, and when he’d drank what he could from there, he’d moved on to the next, and the next. Sometimes he had company, sometimes he sat alone, drowning his hurt and his rage in alcohol as though hoping it would kill either, or both.

But alcohol fueled fire, and this was no different.

Opening the door, Remy was scowling, his hair made a mess by running his fingers through it throughout his tour of Hub’s taverns, his clothes worn, but still fairly neat, if nothing near as impeccable as the young thief usually dressed. His eyes were heavy and lidded, pupils small dots of black against the red irises. When he saw who it was calling on him, his scowl turned into a full frown, but he simply took a step back, arm swinging out in a silent invitation for Henri to step inside the still frightfully neat apartment. The only indication of Remy’s temper was the small spots of soot and char that dotted the living room in a neat path to show where he had obviously loosed his powers to destroy something or other.

“Henri.” Remy sounded guarded, but of course he did; he’d gotten into it with Mercy, and she was his brother’s wife. Of course Henri had come to give Remy a piece of his mind.
Marvel-Movies-1

49 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

This was a delicate mix of family business and family, at Remy’ guarded greeting Henri nodded reaching out with the signet ring laden hand clasping it around Remy’s shoulder, “Bon.” The nickname was habitual and also showed that Henri was not here to drag him to the carpet, the ring being placed prominently would remind Remy that he might have to later.

Stepping into the younger mans apparent Henri shook his head, scattering wetness from the light rain that had appeared while he was walking.

Henri paused letting out a little breath as he looked over his brother, this wasn’t how he wanted to spend the day, and was honestly dreading the fallout. “Yo’ want t’tell me Yo’ side?” He knew Mercy had worked hard to be fair in her retelling, But was very curious about the differences that would crop up in retelling.
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

124 Posts
3 Threads
Nyte

For Remy, there was little difference between the family business and the family. The Guild had become his family as surely as the LeBeaus had, and he was doggedly loyal to both. And yet, that loyalty was being questioned. Mercy had, more than once, called it into question, which hurt far more than her pointing that he was, indeed, involved with a whore, with an alien. It hurt even more than her disapproval in the partner that he had chosen. When Henri reached, Remy did not flinch, but the skin around his eyes tightened, and he held his head up high, meeting his brother’s eyes. He wasn’t going to be ashamed of who he was, or who he was with.

“Non,” he said in response to the nickname. He wasn’t the good little brother, was he? He hadn’t been in… A very long time. He was the exile here tonight, unable to go home, unable to see his family unless they deigned to come see him. Besides, Mercy used that nickname when she was trying to shame, goad, or manipulate him into something, and Remy was frankly sick of it. “Dat name es done, Henri. She use it t’make me do what she want, an’ I am no’ going t’do dat.”

He reminded himself that he wasn’t angry with his brother. Yes, Henri’s wife had upset him, yes, she was wrong, but Remy wasn’t going to blame Henri. “I’ll call yo’ a ride t’get back home when yo’ ready t’go. O’ give yo’ an umbrella. Weather es funny here.” Rain in one borough, desert in the next. Hub was an interesting place, and never boring.

His side? Remy arched a brow, “Madame LeBeau did no’ tell yo’ everyt’ing yo’ need t’know?” It was, perhaps, slightly unfair, but Mercy’s mind had been made up before Remy had said a word, and Remy fully expected her word to carry much more weight within the Guild than his; he was the exiled younger son of the Patriarch. He did business under pseudonyms to stay out of trouble. He didn’t even know how much of the Guild even knew why he’d been exiled! “I did business wit’ someone she do’ no’ like. I sleep wit’ someone she do’ no’ like, an’ she expects me t’give her a bad deal an’ let her pick my femmes for me.” Remy snorted, “She called me lust-addled, Henri! She say I canno’ trus’ someone who coul’ manipulate my mind! So what dat tell me? Dat she do’ no’ trus’ me!” Remy shook, both from the emotional hurt he felt as well as from anger, “Jaya do’ no’ jus’ use her abilities on me, Henri. I know what dat feels like, an’ she do’ no’ do et. But Mercy, she sees someone different and makes a decision, an’ I won’ do dat t’Jaya, Henri. Better t’tell her t’go elsewhere, since I am no’ allowed t’make deals wit’ her myself anymore, according t’yo’ femme.”
Marvel-Movies-1

49 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

While dealing with Guild members often involved drinking, Henri wished his brother had not already started. Dealing with a belligerent Remy was hard enough.

When Remy repudiated his habitual nickname Henri flinched internally. ‘Bon’ had been his name for the skwarny scrap of a rat child his father had brought home, who he learned to love as a little brother. To hear him reject it…

Henri felt his mouth turn down into a frown before he smoothed it out, Remy would likely misread the cause.

“Mercy told me what she thought was happening.” Henri stated evenly, “An’ now I hear what yo’ say.” Because even if he was not his brother a member of the Guild had the right to be heard.

Henri nodded slowly, “Un-“ he lifted a finger “She or I cannot tell yo who not t’bed. Dat we warn, say dat we can no trust dis person es allowed but Mercy as my wife can no tell yo who yo’ can bed.”

Henri lifted a second finger “Du-“ this was tricker “de main t’ing I must ask yes: did yo’ break a promise t’your sister an’ matriarch no to see dis woman?”
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

124 Posts
3 Threads
Nyte

Remy had begun his bar crawl fresh from Mercy’s office. He’d gone to her expecting a smile and nod, acceptance of his contract, and instead he’d gotten called a lust addled fool, told he was a puppet for making a fair deal, and someone he cared for called names as well. The nickname… Mercy had used it more than just this once, and always only to manipulate and control him, to make him more agreeable, and he hated it. Hated that it did make him want to work things out with her, because it was a reminder of who she was to his brother. And it only added to how used and manipulated he felt.

Of course Remy saw the frown, and grimaced, “She use dat name t’try t’make me bow, Henri. Et…” Remy breathed out a sigh, “Et hurt.”

Remy took in a deep breath, “Non, but she reminded that Pere can. An’ she threatened t’go t’him if I wouldn’t stop seeing Jaya!” Because Mercy wanted Remy to find a nice Guild girl to be with, no matter that that wasn’t what he wanted. “An’ she didn’t only threatened t’talk to Pere about dat, but to stop me from freelancing any business, too, Henri. Remy will not listen to her, so she say she will jus’ make sure his freedom es taken away.”

The second question earned a full bodied jerk in response. Remy’s mouth hung open for half a second, both horror and hurt reflecting in his eyes. Mercy had accused him of standing against him family, but she had betrayed Remy by telling such lies! Hurt quickly burned into anger, and Remy’s mouth snapped shut into an angry line, “She says such horrible t’ings about Jaya, but Jaya at least do not go an’ tell lies about me to get what she want!”

Remy had always treated Mercy as his sister, had honored and loved her, even when she was new to the family, and this… He had never expected her to resort to lies! “I never made any such promise, Henri!” Remy shook his head, taking a step back away from his brother, “Mercy asked dat I steer yo’ away from de Green Goddess, an’ I agreed - she yo’ wife, if she did not want yo’ dere, den dat was reasonable. An’ I told her I would watch myself wit’ de Orion girls. She calls dem snakes, Henri, she doesn’ even give any o’ dem a chance. I know Jaya, an’ oui, I trust her. She trusts me, too. Mercy es worried dat Jaya will twist me up, but I could do de same t’Jaya, an’ Mercy does not worry about me doing dat t’Jaya, or one of her pretty little Guild fillies. What es de difference, Henri? Or is dere no difference, an’ Mercy expects me t’twist dem up, too, jus’ because I can?”

Remy dropped onto his couch, leaning forward to stare up at his brother, “I made a contract, a good one, wit’ Jaya. Oui, she came t’me, because we’re de best at moving people quietly. Oui, I give her a fair deal, a good one, but I left plenty o’ profit for de Guild. I’ve done dis before wit’ people I know, people who will come back again for further business. But when Mercy see dis contract, she got angry, Henri. She say dat Jaya playin’ me, controlling me. Said I was a lust addled fool, and called Jaya terrible names. I did not argue her profession, but dere es no need t’get mean about it! We t’ieves, mos’ people do not t’ink dat an honorable or good profession, either. She threatened t’go to Pere, Henri. Said dat Remy es no’ allowed to make deals with any Orions anymore, an’ dat I cannot send dem t’yo’, either, because dey make yo’ a lust addled fool, too, so I have t’send dem t’her.” Remy’s eyes glinted in the light, almost seeming to glow, “I will not send Jaya to Mercy to be treated like…” Remy grimaced around the words, biting them out, his voice strained, “Like how an assassin might treat a mutant, Henri. Like she es second class, like she don’ even rate. How can Mercy be like dat? She knows how et feels.”
Marvel-Movies-1

49 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

Henri nodded at Remy’s half apology/explanation; the fact that his wife and little brother were at such extreme odds pained him, “Pere can, but will no.” His father had made it clear that he would back Henri’s decisions for good or ill, that in effect Henri was on his own with the weight of the Guild behind him.

This also extended to his wife, and Henri worried that perhaps his wife had been given enough rope to hang herself.

“No, Mercy, or anyone es t’contract yo marriage wit out yo approval.” Henri had bought that price with his own marriage, no matter how happy he had ended up in that pairing, it had been a selling of both of them.

Henri was fairly certain at this point that he was not hearing the full story, that both of them were caught too deeply in their own heads to give a truely impartial accounting of what had actually been said. And honestly it hardly mattered now. What mattered was getting his brother and wife back to at least being able to be in the same room together.

Henri listened quietly, eyes narrowed in thoughtful concentration as Remy vented his side of what had transpired. “Remy.” Henri Glanced outside nodding once, “Both o’yo feel dat de other es no right, an’ I believe yo when yo say yo no make a promise to break. Mercy es entitled to her opinion about yo’ contacts, an as my wife can deny a contract she deems too risky.” Henri held up a finger to forstall Remys defence, “In dis case et is clear t`’ me dat she es no impartial, but yo no es either. I will meet with Jaya and make my own determination about her and any further contracts with the Guild. Regardless of my decision yo’ will always be allowed to freelance as yo’ see fit.”

Henri continued, “An’ dat es Guild business. Family-” Henri rested a hand on Remy’s shoulder, “We can worry about yo’ but i will no let dis take yo from us.”
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

124 Posts
3 Threads
Nyte

When Henri told him that their father would not dictate who Remy had to be with, to marry, something in Remy that had been pulled taut since his conversation (argument) with Mercy loosened a bit before he gave Henri a guarded look, “An’ if Remy es wit’ someone dat yo’ or Pere don’ like?” What then? They might not tell him who he had to marry, but would they demand that he leave someone if they didn’t like her? Or someone who Mercy didn’t like? Because that was even more pertinent to the situation, wasn’t it?

“Oh, oui, o’ course Mercy says Remy es wrong! Remy es seeing someone she don’ like, making contracts wit’ someone she t’inks we should overcharge an’ take for all we can because she has green skin!” Mercy’s total dismissal of Jaya and her people because of being ‘Orions’ and her profession bothered Remy. It felt very similar to the dismissal of mutants back home, just for being mutants, and on top of that, Remy had a profession that most would scoff at as well. Thieves were not usually looked upon kindly, and a mutant thief was scraping the bottom of the barrel. Remy with his odd eyes felt that negativity keenly, but never from his own family. Until now.

Remy sighed at Henri’s words, “Mercy will no’ like dat, Henri. She made et clear dat she doesn’ want Jaya near yo’.” He considered this further, and winced, “An’ I did promise t’keep yo’ from de Goddess if I could. I don’ want her saying I broke dat promise, Henri. Dat deal es a fair deal. Dere es plenty of profit for de Guild, an’ dere will be more contracts coming. If Mercy canno’ deal with de Orions, den Remy can freelance, an’ give his tithe t’de Guild. Den she don’ have t’deal wit’ dem.”

Guild business done, Henri mentioned family and grasped Remy’s shoulder, and the younger thief threw himself forward to hug his brother, his voice low, hurt bleeding through, “I don’ understan’ why she hates Jaya, Henri. She’s never even met her, isn’t even giving her a chance. Jaya doesn’ user her abilities t’make me do anyt’ing, any more dan I would use mine on her.”
Marvel-Movies-1

49 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Den we Tell Yo’” Henri's hand squeezed on his little brothers shoulder comfortingly “An’ de worst t’ing dat will happen if we feel we no can trust her wit de Guild business es dat she will no be brought into any.” Honesty forced him to continue, “An’ of yo’ become compromised...Dere are t’ings yo’ will no longer be privy t’.”

Henri leaned forward to touch his forehead to Remy’s “I love yo’ yo’ es my brother an’ it takes more den a feme no matter how Beloved t’ make me say yo’ es no my brother no more.”

Henri shook his head pulling back to do so, “Non, Dis es Guild business no for fun. Mercy knows dis.” Henri’s lips quirked in a small smile, “An es no your place either to forbid me.” The words were fondly spoken, making it clear henri was teasing the younger man lightly.

When the topic shifted slightly Henri’s brow creased thoughtfully “An’ dis Jaya...es she a friend or…?”
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

124 Posts
3 Threads
Nyte

Remy could respect that Mercy didn’t like Jaya, if the opinion weren’t based solely on profession and race. Remy was a mutant thief, being judged and hated based on those things happened to him every single day back home, and he had always wished to be judged for who he was. With Mercy, Remy had thought she would understand that pain, that judgement, and stay clear of making the same sort of decisions, and yet… And yet with Jaya, Mercy had made up her mind without ever meeting the woman. It rankled, it hurt and ached and Remy despised it, he resented it. It was hard, maybe even impossible, for him to respect an opinion formed solely from prejudicial loathing, and it hurt even more for that sort of judgement to come from his family. “Compromised? How do yo’ mean, Henri?” Remy’s question was asked carefully, “Like if I care for her more dan yo’ like? Es dat ‘compromised’?”

Red eyes closed when Henri pulled him in, and the younger LeBeau did nothing to resist the movement. “I love yo’, Henri. An’ I love Mercy, too. But she hurts me t’judge Jaya so harsh wit’out even meeting her, let alone knowing her. Jaya’s powers are a part o’ her, just like mine are a part o’ me. Our cultures are different, oui, but not so desperately so that she an’ I don’ get along well.” He wanted, needed, his older brother to understand, Remy wasn’t saying they had to like Jaya, but that he wanted them to give her a fair chance.

His voice was just slightly stubbornly petulant when he muttered, “Mercy says I canno’ send Jaya t’yo’ for business. She said t’send Jaya t’her.” Remy didn’t pull back, but he did open his eyes to look at his brother, “I won’ do dat, Henri, not of Mercy will jus’ judge her like dis, not give her a chance.” He chuckled slightly at Henri’s words, “I didn’ say I would forbid yo’. Jus’ encourage yo’ t’go other places. I promised I’d be careful, Henri, an’ I have been.”

A friend. Remy shrugged slightly, “A frien’... An’ maybe more. Es a...delicate t’ing.”
Marvel-Movies-1

49 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

The look Henri have him was pure ‘you know what I meant.’ But he explained anyway “Compromised means when a man tell his feme Guild secrets he es no allowed.”

Henri sighed; “I need to see Jaya, an’ speak wit her, an I will no say she is all right but-“ Henri’s expression turned introspective, “Yo’ know a little how she was treated by her family. Dis...et changes how she t’inks. An’ She es so protective of de family. I t’ink...I t’ink sometimes she es scared of making mistake. Dat if she no es a wolf for de family den one day de family will no love her.” Henri knew his wife was still even today insecure about her place, the scars of her father haunted her still.

“So better t’ be harder den be accused of being weak. Dis es de Assassin way, yo’ know dis.”

A delicate thing.

Damn.

“An’ es dis delicate feeling or a delicate condition?”
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

124 Posts
3 Threads
Nyte

Remy frowned, “I don’ tell Jaya anyt’ing specific about de Guild. She understands an’ respects dat Guild secrets are secrets.” Jaya had never even asked about anything like that; she’d always just taken whatever Remy told her, and been happy with it. And Remy didn’t stretch to tell her things she shouldn’t know, he knew better than that. In that way, no, he wasn’t compromised.

With a sigh, Remy nodded slowly. Yes, he knew how Mercy had been treated. And he resented that, too. “I know, Henri. But t’see her treat Jaya dis way… Et hurts. An’ she…” He frowned, then shook his head, “I still love her. I’m angry wit’ her, oui, but dat don’ change dat she es ma soeur.” He winced, “I’m sorry if I made her t’ink her place en de family was en danger, Henri. She…” Technically, Mercy rated higher in the Guild than he did, and that tended to extend into the family. Remy was constantly away from home, in exile, and Mercy was there. Things were going to be in her favor, and normally, Remy didn’t even resent that fact. Right now, though… He was feeling insecure about his place, about what few rights he still possessed, after his argument with his sister in law. “I know how secure her place es.”

“I care fo’ her, but we…” Shrugging, Remy tried to play it off, “We have no formal arrangement. Sometimes I call her, sometimes she calls me, we enjoy each other’s company.” He winced at the idea of Jaya pregnant, and said almost sadly, “She es Orion, dey canno’... At least not wit’ us. Dis es for de best, non?"
Marvel-Movies-1

49 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“An’ den yo’ are no compromised.” Henri parroted back patently, that was what he'd been saying but clearly his younger brother wasn’t listening to him fully. Which was fair, he was upset and Henri had the time to repeat himself as often as Remy needed.

“An’ do yo’ know how secure yo’ place es?” Henri cupped the back of Remy's head. “Yo’ es ma Frère, nothin’ changes dat. No’t’ing.” His voice was quietly resilient.

Henri heard the thread of want in his brothers voice, he was getting old to not have babies, it made sense that he would lament the lack with a woman he seemed to be courting.

“Es et?” He wondered quietly, “an dat es all? You no es courting her?”
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

124 Posts
3 Threads
Nyte

Remy nodded at Henri’s words. He’d expected to hear exactly that, of course, but at the same time, he’d expected Mercy to roll her eyes at the ‘friend’s’ price he’d given Jaya, too. He certainly hadn’t expected it to earn him a dressing down, to hear Jaya be called mean things, and to be told he couldn’t be trusted to make sound judgements.

Henri’s reassurance had the remaining tension and anger leaching from Remy, and the younger LeBeau brother looked at the older, eyes uncertain and sad, “But I am exiled, Henri…” And he missed his family, and he knew how much he had missed since he’d been forced to come to Hub. He didn’t resent his exile, he knew why he’d had to go, but that didn’t make facing it any easier.

Of course Remy wanted children. Eventually. He wanted to have his own family, to bring children back through the portal to show their Pere, but he knew that that would never be possible.

The question about courting Jaya earned a wince and a grimace from Remy. He blinked as he looked away, “I might be tryin’ to… But… She’s never given any indication dat she wants more dan what we already have. I don’ want t’lose what I have wit’ her tryin’ t’get more.”
Marvel-Movies-1

49 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

“Yo are exiled because yo made dat sacrifice t’save de war.” A war the Thieves Guild would lose. “No because yo’ stopped bein ‘ a LeBeau or loved by dis famile.”

Want to get more.

That was an answer in of its self.

“An’ if she do want more? No one woman wishes t’die a whore Remy.”
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

124 Posts
3 Threads
Nyte

Exile as a sacrifice. Yes, it was definitely that. Remy nodded slowly at Henri’s choice of words; he had sacrificed his life, his ability to see his family, his friends… Because to not do so would have meant losing so many of them. Remy wasn’t an altruistic man, but he did consider himself an honorable one, and to have stayed would have been the epitome of dishonorable. But to hear his brother echo his view of what had happened, to hear that he was still considered a LeBeau, and loved… It was meaningful to the younger brother. “T’ank yo’, Henri.” He’d never stopped loving them, either.

What if Jaya wanted more? Red on black eyes searched his brother’s blue, wondering why Henri asked. Wondering what his brother thought of him, chasing after an alien whore… What would Henri think if Remy told him the truth? Told him what Pete had noticed in the bar that day not all that long ago? What if Henri realized that Remy had longed for Jaya, had worried and fretted and pined while she’d been away to her home world?

“Et doesn’ have de same stigma wit’ her people as et does humans, Henri. Jus’ like being a t’ief doesn’ carry a stigma wit’ us.” Still… “Would et be such a bad t’ing if she does want more, Henri?” Remy sighed, “I know Mercy don’ like her, but…” Letting his gaze slide away, the younger thief shrugged, “I would no’ say no if she wants more.”
Marvel-Movies-1

49 Posts
4 Threads
Job:
Sexual Orientation:
Kel

It had been an argument, one of the few Henri had had with his father, the decision to punish Remy for Julien’s rage had been blatantly unfair, but equally brutally necessary. It had been his first real brush with the crushing weight of being the Patriarch. To have to weight the life and happiness of his son against the good of the whole Guild.

In the years since Henri had come to terms with the knowledge that he would have to have the strength to someday make the same call with his own children...or his wife.

With luck that was not a decision he would be forced to make today.
The fact that Jaya’s profession was as a prostitute was not the actual worry for Henri, the Whore’s Guild was just as old as the Thieves and Assassins, Whores, successful whores at least had to be just if not more intelligent and insightful as they were skilled between the sheets.

Henri nodded slowly as his brother revealed his desires; “Dat she es a Whore es no a t’ing I care about. Dat she es no from our universe-” Because he was smarter than to fall into the trap of saying ‘not human’ “Es more of a concern.”
Marvel-Xmen comics-1

124 Posts
3 Threads
Nyte

Remy had never held his exile against his father or brother. He should never have agreed to the duel. He should have simply left with Bella Donna. But of the many things that could be said to be true if Remy LeBeau dispassionate was not one. When Julian had challenged him to a duel, Remy had been within his rights to accept, to protect his honor and that of his new wife. And he had tried to stop the duel at first blood. He had told Julian not to be a fool, not to do it…. Julian hadn't listened. But it was what it was. It had taken longer than Remy was proud to admit for him to realize just how much trouble he was in… it had been a fair duel! Bella Donna annulled the wedding. And Jean-Luc exiled Remy. He'd taken the punishment quietly, leaving without complaint.

He didn't hold it against his family, but his heart burned with hatred to the dead man who had cost him his life and family.

Not from their universe. The gaze that Remy turned on his brother was a sad one, but also resigned. “I am no’ from yo’ universe anymore, mon Frere. I know yo’ don’ want t’hear et, but dis place, Hub, et es my world now.”