Marvel-MCU

31 Posts
5 Threads
Job: Superhero?
Ship Status: Soviet Spouses
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 283
Bucky could only spend so much time with Steve- no that was a complete and total lie. The man was his best friend- and Bucky had been worried crazy from waking up without him. That... that sounded better in his head. But in his defense- when he went into cryo, he wasn't expecting to wake up without Steve's say so.

But his friend had other things to do- so here he was, wandering around random parts of New York trying to decide what to do for the day. He had hung up his jacket, mask, and a number of his weapons at Steve's flat, but he was unsurprised to find that a number of folks still found him to intimidating to approach. Or even, for him to approach them, apparently. He had managed to secure a cup of coffee to drink while he wandered- but he had done little more than sip that as he moved. It was rapidly approaching lukewarm.

Bucky admired the surroundings of this unbroken New York as he traveled. As he approached the bottom of the Avengers' tower he noticed the traffic thin a little bit. It was comforting to think that all of them were a little threatening and it wasn't just him. The empty space also gave more than enough room for him to spot a familiar redhead striding with purpose across the street towards him.

He raised his coffee in salute. "Good to see you Widow." Bucky offered softly before scrunching up his nose slightly. "Er- Natasha. Sorry. I know you prefer- actually. Wait." He laughed slightly and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "It's just me and Steve from our world as far as I know, so you must be a different Black Widow- so I don't know what you prefer me to call you. So. Nice to see you- and Nice to meet you, I guess." Bucky nodded his head in greeting- almost starting to bow- before he remember what century it was. "If you don't know me in your world, I'm Bucky."
Marvel-MCU-3

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 746
Natasha had been walking back to the Avenger's Tower, after spending the morning at the range that Clint had recommended. She had to agree that the man had good taste in shooting ranges, even if he wasn't-precisely-her Clint. But he had good taste in ranges, and the differences in their universes, once they'd gotten over the initial surprise hadn't been all that important. It had been easy to fall into her old, comfortable pattern with Barton, and honestly, it was nice to have something familiar in this place. Something like going shooting.

So she was walking back, quickly and purposefully, because even in the Hub, someone carrying a cased rifle might attract attention, when she saw a dead man. She realized as soon as his eyes met her's that this wasn't her Bucky. Wasn't any Bucky who had belonged to any version of her, so when she answered, it was as Natasha Romanoff. The Avenger. Because Natasha could talk to Bucky Barnes, who was the best friend of a Steve Rogers that she might have never met all day long and it wouldn't bother her a bit. Even if, inside Natalia was breaking, aching to hold him one last time, even if it wasn't really Bucky in front of her.

"Natasha is fine." she replied , smiling in a friendly way "And yes, I know you. Well, I knew your counterpart in my world. Nice to meet you."
Marvel-MCU

31 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky wasn't entirely certain whether or not his eyes were tricking him- but for a brief moment he swore that Natasha's eyes had widened- perhaps even that she had paled slightly. He, of course, didn't even know his world's Black Widow well enough to be able to tell for certain whether that was true or not. Instead he acknowledge her reply. "Well- I hope that you aren't from one of those strange worlds where Steve is older than me- because if so, I can confidently tell you that I'm different from the Bucky you know."

He laughed ever so slightly at his own joke before shaking his head free of those thoughts and giving her a good natured smile before nodding at the rifle. "Coming back from a shooting range? I'd ask if you were in combat, but you don't seem the type to bring a cased weapon to battle." He shrugged ever so slightly. "Unnecessary effort to take it out, and what not." He gestured with a hand across his body. "A strap maybe, but nothing more complicated." He remarked as an afterthought before realizing he was rambling.

"Sorry- force of habit. I've been told that the only thing I know anything of value about is guns." He replied with a wicked grin and a laugh. Shaking his head again, Bucky rubbed the back of his neck in apology. "Sorry, I'm probably side tracking you from whatever you were doing. So far the conversation options I have are- Well. Steve- and I've been told there are Tonys? But one Tony is one too many to have in a conversation."
Marvel-MCU-3

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"Not that different." Natasha replied "In my universe Bucky was a few years older too." which made her wonder what else was similar between their worlds. Clearly he wasn't involved with her counterpart, she was sure of that from his reaction, but there might be other similarities. Probably were other similarities.

Certainly were other similarities as he started to talk about hardware. That had been a favorite topic for her and Bucky as well, something that they'd shared in common, which would make Steve roll his eyes fondly and go hide with a book or a sketch pad. "Casing to and from is a good idea." Nat responded, keeping up her end of the familiar argument "Helps keep things clean. A sling is only good if you think you're going to use it immediately. But yes, I was at the range. Clint told me about it, not my Clint, but one who's here in the Hub." she smiled "So far I'm the only Natasha and the only one from my universe. You weren't interrupting me." she continued easily, "I was just coming in from the range, and I was going to do some yoga, shower and eat, but the yoga and shower can wait." when he made the comment about avoiding Tony she asked "What happened with your Tony? I don't disagree, I'm just curious."
Marvel-MCU

31 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky grinned at that- it wasn't worth him making a remark- but it was definitely something he approved of. He shook his head in polite disagreement with her argument however. "I'd agree for casing before and after- but the to and from is part of the fight. You never want to get caught with a perfect shot for a split second and not be able to take it because you have to prep your gun." He crossed his arms lightly, a quirked eyebrow being all that changed the smile on his face.

He knew this already- but it was easy to talk to Natasha. Maybe because no one knew more about Bucky than Steve- and Nat. Because she had worked hard to help his friend find him.

"Way I see it- it's worth the work to clean the gun properly afterwards- which you should be doing whether you're using casing or not." He grinned- it was a good habit to clean your weapons before they were put in the casing, and after they got taken out. If she didn't know that much, than her opinions didn't really hold much weight in his mind. Of course, Bucky had a pretty old fashioned way of treating everything he owned- like it would last for the rest of his life if properly cared for.

"I'd love it if you gave me directions- I have no intentions of leaving just yet- not until I've convinced Steve to come back as well. In the mean time I do need to keep my skills up to task."

Bucky quirked his head slightly. "Well the least you can let me do is buy you dinner then- in exchange for me waylaying you for conversation." He offered with a grin, nodding towards the road he had been headed to- where Steve had said they had a good diner. He grimaced with the name of his friend's crush hitting his ears. "Oh you know, just failing to mention that he knew how to get in contact with my best friend after some ass nearly destroyed the planet and I had no way of knowing whether Steve was alive or not. Oh and also generally being annoying."
Marvel-MCU-3

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"Depends on the fight." Natasha said "If we're talking about spending 12 hours in the Quinjet, or here, where the walk to and from the portal is going to be uneventful, then I'm keeping my shit cased until right before." she rolled her eyes "Yeah, duh, I'm not a idiot or a pig, and I'm pretty sure your version of me isn't either. I'm not talking about fouling, I'm talking about the gun picking up grit or dust or other crap because you took it out of the case too soon. My stuff is always clean and lovely. Would you like to take a look?" she added, grinning at the familiar argument. Natalia was smiling as well, when she'd thought of things that she'd give almost anything to do again, this kind of teasing debate with Bucky had been high on the list.

"I don't think I've met your Steve yet." Natasha replied "He was off on some kind of a quest, with some refugees from Lord of the Rings, when I got here, and I haven't seen him since he got back." and then, just like that, Bucky was asking her out. Well, probably not, even Bucky didn't move that fast, Natasha told herself, even as Natalia whipsawed between happiness and terror that this was a terrible idea. This was just going out to eat and swap stories. Natasha Romanoff could go do that, with a different version of the person she'd fought beside. Easy Peasy

"Yeah, that sounds good." Natasha replied "Lead the way." Once they were walking to the diner, she said "if he didn't tell you that he knew where your Steve was, he's a total asshole." Natasha replied "Why doesn't your Steve want to come back with you? "
Marvel-MCU

31 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky ducked his head to concede that point with a chuckle. "Alright fair- I'll give you that 12 hours is a bit much to be sitting alert for. But I'll still argue for the last hour approaching a target- if in anything other than Stark's 'compensating for something' plane. That thing is too fast to even catch the shot if you did have the gun at the ready. And yes- if you are not currently in the right universe, it's probably a waste of time to have it out of the case yet." The soldier said, eyes crinkling at the very idea of trying to get something resembling a precise shot across universes.

His mouth fell into a flat line. "How do you know that the Nat- if it's okay for me to call you that Doll- of my world isn't a pig? For all you know, she could be the messiest person in the world." He offered with a quirked eyebrow and a serious attempt to maintain the serious expression- that did not last long before his mouth cracked into a grin again. "But yes- what I knew of you, the you of my world is rather neat as well."

The offer to inspect her gun made his eyes sparkle. "I think it's the man who's supposed to offer you a chance to handle his guns- but sure thing Doll- I'd love to see if there are any notable differences between our world's weapons."

It was surprisingly easy for Bucky to fall into the flirtatious rhythm he had before the war- but it occurred to him that he should probably tone it back- weird enough to meet someone from a different universe that seemed like someone you knew- weirder still for the person to start laying it on thick. He vaguely wondered whether Steve would judge him for flirting with other avengers- Bucky then remembered Tony Stark and dismissed that possibility altogether.

"Yeah- Steve mentioned some sort of quest he had just arrived back from- I thought he was just trying to explain away why he was sitting around in a pair of sweatpants eating Chinese food like it was his last meal." He said with a small snort. "Still weird to be faced with Steve's musculature though- I still think of him as the scrawny asthmatic." Bucky admitted, slightly more quietly- not because he was trying to hide that statement- but because it didn't seem like something she'd be interested in knowing about.

Rubbing the back of his neck, Bucky sighed slightly. "In his defense, I didn't ask him. Nah- the fault there lies on Stevie Dearest- Who thought to tell his crush where to find him- but didn't think that maybe he should tell that same information to one of the folk watching over his best friend while said best friend was in cryo freeze." He explained with a thorough eye roll. "Because of course- having torn apart the world to find me- it's not like I'd find someone to tear me a hole in reality to locate him or something."

For an answer to her following question, Bucky replied simply. "Tony. What else is new?" Nearing the diner, he hurried the last few steps to hold the door open for her.
Marvel-MCU-3

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"Last half hour, you want to leave some time for last minute checks on the other gear." Natasha countered with a grin "But its nice to see that you basically agree with me." the sparkle in his eyes called up an answering sparkle in hers and she said "In this case, it isn't a metaphor. Besides, I doubt you've got anything I haven't already seen." which was probably literally true, given how closely he physically resembled the man she'd known.
The flirting was an easy pattern, and it was easy to just relax into the game-a game she'd played often enough that it was easy to let herself focus on the game, and not the man she was playing it with. Keeping her distance, even if Natalia was sitting in the back of her head, trying to decide if she should hug him or run in the other direction, and not sure which was the worse choice.

"Nat is fine." she said easily-and considered asking him to not call her 'Doll', but decided that she'd let it go for now. Hopefully he'd drop it, and she wouldn't have to explain why it bothered her. What memories it called up. Not that she planned on hiding it forever, but it wasn't something to lead with.

"Yeah, that makes sense." Natasha added "My Bucky, the Bucky I knew, he was the same way. Always trying to play mother-hen with Steve, fuss at him to eat more, put on a sweater, asking if he was sure he was feeling ok. Of course, he was kind of like that with everyone. He was just more so with Steve." her tone was quiet as well, but in her case it was because she was still adjusting to talking about the man she'd lost in the past tense, while talking to his twin.

Natasha glanced over at him and asked, her tone deliberately casual "Why were you in cryo? Did they pull you out to look for Steve, or did you decide to do that on your own?"

"Did they have a thing?" Natasha asked, as Natalia screamed in frustration that there apparently wasn't even a single universe where Steve hadn't ended up in Tony's bed. She smiled a 'thank you' as Bucky opened the door, because of course he did, then made sure she picked a booth instead of a table, because Bucky pulling out her chair would just be too much. And because tables left her feeling exposed.
Marvel-MCU

31 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky chuckled slightly and gave a one shouldered shrug. "Close enough. But yes obviously- no point in being ready to take a shot if you've forgotten to put on anything else."

He laughed at her return flirting. He hiked the long sleeve on his arm and moved it with a flex- though of course, the metal wasn't flexible, so it was more of a shifting of plates to accommodate the movement. "Even Vibranium limbs? I thought that I was one of a kind." He offered with a sniff of faked offense before rolling her sleeve back down when the echos around them started staring.

That caused the smile to fall off his face.

Clearing his throat he returned to the conversation- voice less bright now that he remembered he was in public. He suddenly wished for a hat- even though he knew logically that the people around them aren't real. "But who said I was trying to show you any kind but the literal version?" He said lightly, pulling a shotgun from a strap on his thigh, before returning it. He did the same with a small pistol in his boot, a handgun tucked in the waistband of his pants- before pausing and giving a small shrug. "I'd have more but I dropped most of my gear at Steve's place. Seemed a little uncomfortable to walk around town with a machine gun. For everyone else at least."

He slipped his hands into his pockets, acknowledging the permission she had given him. Clearing his throat slightly, he offered his own. "You can call me James if you'd rather- I know it must be strange to speak to someone similar to a person you know- but who isn't them."

His grin returned in force when he had it confirmed that this other Bucky also mothered Steve. "Good- Heaven knows that man couldn't get by without help."

Bucky raised an eyebrow. "I'll assume then that your Bucky either didn't go into Cryo- or hasn't come out yet. Well- after we found out I killed Tony's parents- and by we I mean Tony and myself- I had Cap put me under. Woke up two months ago to Wanda, Panther, and a man named Doctor Strange. Doctor Strange worked some magic nonsense on my brain and I've been cleared of the brainwashing- at least- if there is any brainwashing left, it's too deep in my head now for it to be activated let alone removed. So- not relevant anymore." He explained smoothly- or as smoothly as one could when they had to talk about their brainwashing and removal of said programming. "After the world was nearly destroyed, I was the one who decided to track down Steve. Strange helped with that as well."

He sighed and made a small shake of his hands in the best motion he could come up with the situation. "Steve has a crush on Tony. I don't know about Tony- funny enough, he's not in a hurry to talk to his parent's murderer about his love life. Of course Steve however had to go and fall in love with another Tony now that he's in the hub. You would think he'd have learned his lesson at this point- but he keeps going back for more punishment." He shook his head slightly as he sat down opposite her- pleased that she had chosen a booth so that both of them had walls at their backs. He would have offered her the most defensible chair if they had sat at a table instead- but that was part of the winter soldier they couldn't get rid of- he wasn't fond of leaving his back open.

He flagged down a waiter and smiled at him in a way that could absolutely be described as flirtatious. He couldn't help himself- flirting got faster service. "Excuse me- Can I get a glass of water and-" Bucky glanced at Nat for a second, trying to decide whether she'd approve of someone else ordering for her. Seeing her set down the case with her rifle, he swiftly decided that the answer was no. "Whatever she wants." He said finally, eyes crinkling.
Marvel-MCU-3

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"Sorry, my Bucky had one of those too." Natasha replied "Some universes are closer than others ours must be pretty close. The arm is Stark's work, yeah?" at the offer Nat smiled and shook her head "Its all good. That was why I was calling you Bucky. Most of the time I called mine James." Bucky was what she'd called him in public, but in private it had always been James. Or Yasha. "But if you want to be James its your call." wondering idly what she'd want to be called if a alternate version of her showed up. Wondered if any of those women had a Natalia inside that Black Widow and Natasha protected.

Natasha nodded as Bucky explained what had happened. "James went into cryo." she said simply, using the more intimate name for the man she'd known, since that seemed to make things easier for Bucky "After some Hydra operatives triggered a piece of brainwashing we hadn't known about. He didn't make it out. I"m glad that they found a way to fix you." she finished, sincerely.

"Maybe some things are universal constants." Natasha replied with a dismissive toss of her head "It seems like Steve Rogers being all up in Tony Stark's business might be one of those." which, frankly sucked ass in her opinion, something that would be fairly obvious from her tone and demeanor.

And another universal constant, Bucky would flirt with anyone and everyone who looked like they might be receptive to his flirting. She'd asked him about that once, and he'd laughed and said that he'd spent too many years not flirting with cute guys, and now that he could, he was going to live it up. "Water for me too." she said, noticing that he'd picked up on the 'not ordering for her' thing faster than James had. Or Steve. Not that they'd made the choices for her-they'd been very good about finding out what she wanted, and then repeating the order to the server, who, presumably had ears that couldn't detect her high pitched lady voice. It had taken almost six months to train that out of them. Maybe she should have taken a rifle on their dates she thought, quirking a smile at the thought.
Marvel-MCU

31 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky faked a pout. "Well then your Bucky got his much sooner than I did." He said, trying to make it sound whiny before cracking a grin. "I went under without an arm. So it's still pretty new to me- much lighter than my old one." He offered cheerily. "And yeah, it's Stark's work- there are some things that Tony does well enough that I can almost see his appeal. And then I remember that he ripped the old one off and that feeling goes away."

"Oh no I've been Bucky for-" He paused with a sad smile. "I was going to say my whole life but that's not strictly true. But I was just offering so as to clear up confusion when talking about me versus... The other me." Bucky explained while he rubbed the back of his neck slightly. The fact that she was speaking in the past tense had not escaped his notice, and he was suddenly aware of exactly how uncomfortable he must be making her.

That and the use of a less common moniker gave him a pretty solid hunch that she had been closer to James than his Black Widow was to him. He winced sympathetically when she confirmed that James had passed. "I'm sorry to hear that." He offered softly. He was trying to decide whether or not it was appropriate to offer a hug- but she had seemed to say it with little emotion. Say what you will about Bucky, but he knew better than to mess with someone's coping method for so long as it wasn't doing irreversible damage. "I mean- I've just about died enough times to know that there are much worse things- and if James thought the same way- then I can tell you for certain that of the two options- dying, or being awake and a danger to the people we care for- we'll always pick the former."

Focusing on a slightly less depressing topic, he raised an eyebrow at her. "Oh, I'm sure there are better universal constants than that. Like- have you run into a world yet where you and Clint aren't friends? Or where Steve and I aren't?" He grinned abruptly "Please tell me there's a universe where Steve isn't from Brooklyn. I can't even picture it."
Marvel-MCU-3

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"I think that our timelines are a bit different." Natasha said, consideringly, "There were about three years between Steve and I finding James and him going into cryo, it sounds like it was a shorter time for you. And yes, Stark is very good at making things. Until he isn't, or until he gets too ambitious and the project does something he hadn't expected."

What he said was true-she knew that James would have rather died than harm anyone. Knew that was why he'd gone back into cryo, because the chance of him losing control, or being controlled by Hydra was intolerable. She knew that, James had said as much, when the three of them had talked it over, had said their goodbyes. That didn't mean that hearing those words again coming from Bucky's mouth didn't break Natalia's heart all over again. But it was Natasha who blinked back the tears, and who answered Bucky with a wry smile "Yeah, I know that. James said the same thing to me, before he went back into cryo. Somehow, it didn't make losing him any easier for the people who cared about him, so if you can avoid dying, I'd suggest doing that."

The introduction of the more cheerful topic was welcome, and Natasha said "No, but I have met a Clint from a universe where he and Coulson are a item, so never say never. But yeah, so far I'm 3 for 3 on universes where Clint and I are friends, so I see your point. Maybe not all the universal constant suck ass." when he brought up Steve being from Brooklyn, she smirked "Actually, I've met a version of him from a really weird ass universe where he's Israeli. True story."
Marvel-MCU

31 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky did his best to avoid raising an eyebrow as he noticed the continued way she referred to herself, James, and Steve- it certainly seemed like there was more there than there was in his own world. He certainly didn't have anything to say against it- if it worked for them- than Bucky was happy for them. "Yes- I went into cryo immediately after I lost my arm. To the point that I went in without an arm."

Bucky flinched slightly as he saw her blink back tears. Trying to come up with a way to comfort her, he sighed slightly as no obvious distractions presented themselves. Instead he reach across the table and put his hand on her shoulder. "I'm sorry if I stepped too far in saying that." He pulled a napkin from the dispenser on the table and offered it to her for lack of a tissue or handkerchief. (Though yes, handkerchiefs were a bit before his time.)

He offered a small smile to her as he moved on to the latter part of her comment in the hopes of making her laugh. "Historically I haven't had the best track record with that, but I'll try." He acquiesced. Nearly being killed by Hydra. Falling off of a Hydra Train. Falling into a river after fighting with Captain America. Really anything Hydra related usually spelled bad things for him.

It occurred to Bucky that that may be too much gallows humor so he too was grateful for the change in topic. "Only three? I was told we were up to five different variants of the Avengers universe. Admittedly one of them only had one person and she had since departed- but I know you're friends in my universe. Ah-" He paused slightly before smiling ruefully. "One of those universes only has a Tony- is that the one you don't know about?"

One of Bucky's eyebrows shot up. "Really? Next you're going to tell me that he and I aren't friends there."
Marvel-MCU-3

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

Natasha accepted the napkin and dabbed at her eyes, pushing the rest of the tears away. "Its fine." she said brusquely "No need to apologize. You're right, and you didn't have any way to know that I'm still-its only been a few months, and sometimes it sneaks up on me. But you didn't know that, and it sounds like your Natasha wouldn't get all weepy over you. No offense or anything, but things are different, yeah?"

"Being doomed to failure is no excuse for not trying." she said, in the tones of someone uttering a profound statement of cosmic wisdom, she returned, and then spoiled it by giggling.

"Not all of those seem to have me in them, though." Natasha replied "One of them has a Cap who got thawed out in the '60s, that one has you and Tony, but no me. Or no me that Cap has ever met, which could be because my parents were in grade school at the time. Anyway, that only takes us up to four, so there must be one I haven't met yet."

"You were friends there, up until Jimmy, who was that universe's equivalent of you, had an affair with his wife. Who was apparently that universe's version of me." which, now that she'd brought the awkward, meant that there wasn't any reason not to bring it the rest of the way. "Which was kinda sorta what happened in my universe, but with less cheating."
Marvel-MCU

31 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky offered her his best attempt at a grin in reply. "Well in her defence I have shot her. Multiple times. Most notably through the stomach to kill someone else. Not getting involved with me seems a pretty wise self defence."

He wondered vaguely if she'd hear the truth in those last words- he did like to play it off- but it was for the best if people didn't get too close to him. If he didn't hurt them himself- just being near him was still bad luck.

Then she managed to hit that thought on the head and Bucky for a moment was lost in how beneficial that advice was- until he remembered that no matter where his brain was, the conversation had moved on. "I didn't realize I was speaking to someone so wise." He remarked with a grin that grew and softened when she started giggling. Bucky could appreciate that- Natasha had a quantifiably beautiful laugh. He chuckled along without intending to.

"Makes sense. Honestly, you're the first I've met from another universe- Steve's just told me about the others. If I didn't know how little vanity that man possessed, I may have accused him of sharing- ah- 'selfies'" He said with air quotes. The word seemed dumb but it more aptly described the type of photo better than other things he could come up with.

Bucky took a sip of his water when she started talking about Israeli Steve- he almost choked when Nat revealed the truth of her relationship. He probably would have had he not anticipated that conclusion. Instead he swallowed hard and tipped back more water to kill time. Finally forcing words out of his mouth, he replied. "Good for you. Don't think that would fly in my world, but to each their own." He offered simply, before taking a moment to tell the waiter his order- greatly appreciating the interjection.
Marvel-MCU-3

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"That could be it." Natasha said, deciding not to mention that her James had done the same thing. Maybe the Natasha that this Bucky knew hadn't been able to forgive as easily, or maybe there was some other reason why she and Bucky hadn't clicked, but the point was that they hadn't, and that wouldn't be changed by anything she might have to say to the man in front of her. Not to mention that he'd probably apologize and feel guilty for shooting her, which wasn't fair to him.

When he mentioned her former relationship, Natasha snorted a laugh "It didn't really fly in my universe either, people didn't get it, or they made all sorts of assumptions trying to get things to "make sense", instead of accepting that things really were what we said they were. But we made it work, at least for awhile."
Marvel-MCU

31 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky rolled his eyes with a laugh. "I'm guessing it isn't though, considering the lack of surprise, I'm going to go ahead and assume that James did the same to you." With a small shrug he grinned easily. "So I think I'll blame Steve. It's a very useful tactic, I've found." He offered with a wink. Honestly he was probably right- Steve had been decidedly in love with Tony before he even knew that Bucky was still alive- that pretty much prevented any other possibilities.

He doubted it was on him though- because he could well see how James could have ended up with this Nat, if he was even half as comfortable joking with her as Bucky was at that moment.

He smiled when she snorted, chortling a little in reply. "I mostly meant since Steve is in unrequited love with Tony, and looks at me in horror every time I even pretend to flirt with him. Steve I mean, not Tony." He explained in reply, conveniently leaving out that he was pretty confident that the black widow of his world was in love with Dr. Banner.

Didn't seem like something she'd care to know- not that he really had any idea of what she cared to know. "You going to order- or would you like me to start picking out random things for you doll?" He offered with a small laugh and a pointed nod at the waiter standing awkwardly at the end of the table.
Marvel-MCU-3

108 Posts
7 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Katie

"Yeah, he did." Natasha confirmed. "Left a really impressive scar, which I'd show you if we weren't in public. I don't know if you can blame Steve though, but maybe. He is pretty good at cockblocking." she said, grinning a little. It was disturbing, in a way, how easy it was to fall into the old teasing, joking pattern she'd had with her version of the man in front of her.

"Sounds like that version of Steve has shitty taste in men." Natasha said, sounding more bitter than she really meant to "But I'm glad he's admitted that he's into guys. My Steve had managed that before we got together, and it wasn't easy for him. Then admitting that he was into his best friend, well, that took awhile too." curious, she asked "So, in your world, is your Nat seeing anyone?" wondering who it was, if it wasn't Bucky.

"Oh! I'll have a cheeseburger. With fries, please." Natasha said, ordering the first thing that popped into her head to cover over the fact that she'd been thinking about everything other than food.
Marvel-MCU

31 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky couldn't help the eyebrow that shot up in interest. Despite the metal arm, he was still mostly a red-blooded male- one who found females attractive at that. Focusing on the latter comment so as to avoid potentially making her uncomfortable he chuckled. "No no- This is how it works. It's raining? Steve's fault. Lose your toothbrush? Steve's fault. Managed to accidentally avoid a life where you apparently have a gorgeous redhead as a girlfriend? Absolutely Steve's fault." He replied back, not missing a beat.

"Yeah- I- Ahem- may have had some experiences in the army which helped me get over my issues with it- but I'm grateful for Tony for that if nothing else. I think Steve is more comfortable with who he is as a result of his feelings for Tony honestly." He offered with a wistful grin- the grin coming from the recollections- and the wistfulness being that he wished he could do more to help his friend be happy.

He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly for a moment. "Well- ah. He's been missing for longer than Steve's known I was alive still- but I believe the Natasha of my world is in love with Dr. Banner." He explained finally- it was what he had been told, but it wasn't his favourite thing to gossip about people's relationships. It was one thing if it was Steve- because really, it was Steve- but Bucky did try to stay out of folk's personal lives.

He smiled when she ordered- he had no desire to control what a doll like her ate- but there was something decidedly attractive about a woman who ordered what she wanted instead of pretending otherwise. (Of course, there was also something attractive about a woman who ordered what was good for her, no matter what she wanted. Really it was safe to boil the topic down to- Smart women were attractive. Or Smart Men. Bucky really was not terribly choosy.)