Marvel-MCU

26 Posts
5 Threads
Job: Superhero?
Ship Status: Soviet Spouses
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 265
Bucky had been mentally preparing for this trip for what seemed like ages now. Ever since he had been rewoken he had been planning the intricacies of this rescue attempt. Though no one was certain that Steve was in danger- they knew that something must be stopping his return- and Bucky would rather be safe than sorry. So he sat at the side of the room, cleaning his machine gun while he watched the sorceror draw arcane symbols on the floor.

For the portal itself- well the brooklyn born man was uncertain what to make of it- He had been expecting something more akin to a door- less like a bubble of smoke. He had been told that they didn't know how to return him- that if they could that they would have just brought Cap back immediately- but it surprised him nonetheless to not have a clear picture of where he'd be landing.

Stretching his neck and rolling his shoulders for a moment, he nodded at the sorceror to step to the side. Bucky took a deep breath and then ran at the portal as fast as he could- dropping into a somersault at the last possible second so that he'd be a smaller target if anyone thought to shoot at the weird magic opening up beside Steve.

Rolling to his knees, Bucky braced his gun on his arm, and blinked at the sudden daylight- doing his best to become accustomed to it as quick as possible, to be prepared for a fight. Then he looked up at his friend standing there in front of him in an utterly non combative state and Bucky sighed. Standing up and holstering the gun he was carrying he moved into Steve's personal space before smacking him upside the head.

"If you aren't in danger, why haven't you made your damn way back home yet?"
Marvel-MCU

270 Posts
11 Threads
Job: Rogue Superhero
Ship Status: Single
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 968
“Language!”

Upon returning to Hub from what had been a much longer away mission than Steve had originally planned (he’d thought a week, maybe two. Not a month!), his first order of business had been a very long, very brutal sparring session with Tadashi. The longer than usual session only drove home how much Steve had missed the AI, his friend and companion, and in turn, how much he had missed Hub and… and Tony. His mind shifted away from considering the mess with Tony for the moment, though; he’d had revelations and made some very large (huge) realizations about how he felt about the other man, a man that wasn’t even from the same world as he was, but someone he had nonetheless developed feelings for, but right now, Steve was dealing, or rather, trying to put off dealing with what had happened during the quest. Mission.

So he had returned to his apartment in Brooklyn, or at least the Hub’s strange accurate but incomplete approximation of Brooklyn after picking up enough chinese take out to feed four normal people. Once home, he had stripped out of clothes, placing it neatly in the hamper, showered, and dressed again in clean sweats. Now, he was padding into the living room from the kitchen, bottle of water tucked neatly under one arm at the elbow, that hand holding a carton of chinese food, his ‘free’ hand holding chopsticks, shoveling noodles into his mouth that he was quite merrily chomping away at.

He was starving. That’s what happened when he went toe to toe with an AI for hours on end after an exhausting and long running mission. But this was a better feeling. The mission was complete, and he was… Not home, but close to it. Hub was the best ‘home’ he had, and while he really would prefer to be staying in the tower, closer to Tony, Steve still thought that they both could use the space. A month away might have given Tony time to think, but Steve hadn’t seen Tony since his return, not yet, and he wasn’t going to chase the man down just to find out if he had changed his mind, either.

And then there was an odd light and something smoky in front of him, and Steve blinked as a body rolled out of it. He’d never actually watched someone else come into Hub before, and it was… Wow. He’d just about fallen into the portal when he’d ‘found’ it on Coney Island. This guy… This guy was…

”Bucky?!” Even if he couldn’t see that it was his best friend that had come through what seemed to be a temporary portal, the smack on the back of his head would have told him everything he needed to know. Yep. Bucky. Steve reached out, chopsticks left in the carton, sticking out of the mess of noodles still waiting to be devoured by the super soldier, and smacked his oldest friend, giving as good as he got, ”Damn it, Bucky! Give a fella a second before ya start smacking him!” So sue him, he dropped into a slightly more ‘Brooklyn’ accent. It was Bucky! Steve’s face exploded into a grin, and he reached to pull Bucky into an awkward one armed hug (he was still holding his take out and water in the other hand!), ”It’s good ta see ya, Buck. And… I did come home. I talked to Tony, and let Clint and Sam know I was fine, just needed some more time.” And the last thing he had known was that Bucky was still in cryo…

Steve blinked, ”Is everything alright? I told Tony to come get me if he needed me. For anything. Didn’t expect people to just pop in in my living room, though. I thought maybe from Coney Island… You.. Huh. Are you sure you have the right Steve? Because there’s more than one here, Buck, and… Well… I’m pretty sure I know about all of the me’s here, but people’re coming and going all the time in this place…”

“That’s not going away anytime soon.”
Marvel-MCU

26 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky had been anticipating the smack so it hardly did anything to draw his attention- if anything, he imagined that Steve hitting the armoured shoulder would hurt himself more. Bucky snorted slightly and returned the other man's hug, being cautious to keep the vibranium arm from causing pain (it would have been a challenge to hurt Steve, but Bucky was careful nonetheless.)

He grimaced at Steve's reply with a mental curse- of course Tony knew where the super soldier was- of course. Bucky groaned slightly in mild annoyance. "Yes well done Steve- the single person in your group of super buddies that will never initiate a conversation with me knew how to reach you. Sam was MIA and Clint only knew you were fine. As of two months ago. Before the planet was nearly destroyed and you didn't show up to help save it." He started to analyze the room as he spoke- it seemed to be Steve's apartment, but it never hurt to be prepared. Comparatively it often hurt to be caught unawares.

He paused mid thought to turn wide eyed to Steve. "There's more than one of you?!" That was hard to process- multiple Steves. Sure he had been told he may be going out of his universe- but he hadn't been prepared to go out of his mind. "I mean- regardless, I'm pretty confident you are- uh- 'My' Steve. The portal spell was supposed to seek you out, using my connection to you as a focus. I'd be real surprised if you weren't from the same place as me." Bucky said as he rubbed his forehead.

"What the hell have you gotten us into Rogers." Bucky commented with a slow shake of his head at the other man, vaguely aware that he had returned to standing at attention until he was told to make himself comfortable.
Marvel-MCU

270 Posts
11 Threads
Nyte

“Language!”

Sure, smacking Bucky's metallic shoulder stung, but that just meant that Steve didn't need to pinch himself, right? The hug was filled with relief and the warmth of one friend happy to see another. "God, it’s good to see ya, Bucky." Even if this wasn't hit Bucky, it was still good to see him.

Tony knew where steve was, and he knew where the portal was. But… "Hey, I told Sam the basics-“ Steve sighed, "Damn it." Steve's faced darkened as Bucky spoke. Steve frowned, half hoping that Bucky really was from another universe. Why wouldn’t Tony have sent for him? Oh. Oh no. Worse, what if he had, and Steve had been away on Luthien’s quest? Quietly. Steve closed his eyes, letting out a string of nearly inaudible curses as he did. "I'm sorry, Bucky. I never meant for.. For that."

More than one? “Well, uh, yes?" steve considered a moment before he crossed the room and opened the blinds to give his friend a look at the strange city Steve now thought of as home, "Our world - assuming we are from the same one - is part of the multiverse, Bucky. There are infinite amounts of other worlds, and a whole lot of those worlds have, or had, or will have, a Steve Rogers and a James Barnes. Some of those worlds, and some of those people, will be remarkably similar to ours, and others will be vastly different. I’ve met two Tony Starks since I arrived here. Neither are exactly like the Tony we know, but one is more similar than to him than the other one, but both come from different worlds, with different experiences.”

Bucky’s explanation of why he thought they belonged to the same world made a lot of sense. Magic. It was both marvelous and confusing. “Okay, well… That’s… Something.” Not great, but still good, in some ways, at least. Bucky was here, and that was very good. Steve had missed his old friend more than he tried to let anyone see. “Hey, you got yourself here. But if you want to go back home, I can show you the portal. It comes out in Coney Island.” Steve smiled, “But… Give it a day or two. This place is amazing, Bucky."

Marvel-MCU

26 Posts
5 Threads
Moon

Bucky laughed and shook his head. "Yeah- Good to see you too Bud." He offered as he patted the man on the back with a long suffering smile on his face. Bucky was certainly used to Steve's behaviour- but it never failed to make Bucky want to roll his eyes.

Watching as Steve tore himself apart internally, Bucky sighed. "It's alright- We managed- Just. Maybe leave a message with someone watching over me- in the chance they wake me- if this incredibly specific situation ever happens again. Not that it will- Programming's cleared by the way." Bucky offered with a tap to his temple to make that clear. "Which means if it happens again you can leave that message directly with me."

Bucky's eyes widened for a moment before he blinked away that surprise. "And I was supposed to know that, how- exactly?" He offered with a laugh and a raised an eyebrow. "Because that is somehow not the first thing I assume on any given trip. That I'll end up in some interdimensional meeting place. Crazy that." He added, voice positively dripping in sarcasm as he crossed his arms for a moment before returning to standing at an attention.

He blew air out as he processed all of the details that Steve was providing. "So help me Steve- if you're staying here just for the confluence of Tony Starks- I may have to have you admitted to a mental hospital." Bucky mumbled, not approving of his friend's romantic choices- but not wanting him to feel too judged though. A little judged, Bucky thought Steve deserved.

"Does that mean I can't convince you to return with me?"
Marvel-MCU

270 Posts
11 Threads
Nyte

“Language!”

Seeing Bucky like this, smacking his arm and hugging him only drove home how much Steve had missed his friend, how much he missed everyone. After the mess with Tony, their… Their mistake, as the other man called it, Steve had withdrawn from the tower. Oh, he went to go spar with Tadashi regularly, but he went to the gym and then left, running back to his apartment here. He hadn’t seen much of the other Avengers, hadn’t seen Tony for the month before he left on the quest, and then he’d been gone a month. Now he was back, and the first person he’d gotten to see, other than Tadashi, was Bucky. And god, had he missed the guy.

Finding out that the world had nearly ended and needed him, and he’d been off on a quest to save yet another world, that was heavy. They had managed. Just. What if they hadn’t managed? Maybe he really should just go back home. Face the music. Probably go to prison. Steve sighed, “I’ll show you where the portal is, it’s in the same place here as it is on the other side, more or less. Things are unique here, it’s not quite as spread out as it is back home, Buck.” Hearing that Bucky was free of Hydra’s influence, however, earned the man another quick but tight hug, ”I’m glad to hear it, Bucky. I hated seeing you back under like that. And… I’m sorry I left you. I’m sorry I wasn’t there when you woke up, sorry that I was away when the world needed me, needed all of us.”

Chuckling, Steve shook his head, ”Like I said, I told Tony all of it. I gave Sam more than I gave anyone else besides Tony… I didn’t expect anyone to use magic to track me down, and I really didn’t think that someone would find this place unwittingly. But yeah, this is what we’re looking at here. Hub, the city’s called, and it’s pretty amazing here.” Steve liked it, that much was evident in his tone, which was warm and enthusiastic.

Steve looked out the window while Bucky spoke, ”No, Bucky, I’m not staying just because there’s a bunch of Tony Starks walking around. There’s only one here that I…” Steve sighed, ”It’s complicated with him. The other one… I can’t say we’re on the best of terms, to be honest. I’ve heard of another one, but I haven’t met him. It’s a little...weird...to think of how many of them, and how many of my other selves, are walking around this city.” Sure, Steve felt a little bit judged, but he stood by his feelings, he didn’t choose who he cared about, he just did. And when it came to Tony, damn it, the man was a good man, even if he could be a callous ass sometimes.

”I like it here, Buck. I can make a difference here. And I don’t have to hide. I don’t have to worry about being arrested if I go for a run, or if I stop to help someone. No one is telling me I have to ask permission to do the right thing.”