DC-DCTVU-1

402 Posts
15 Threads
Job: PA/Magician
Ship Status: Single with Complications
Sexual Orientation: Pan-Romantic
Nyte

All Accounts Posts: 1,204
Christian didn’t know how the two men had actually met the first time; he hadn’t actually been there… But he was very well aware that neither of them seemed to like each other. And that...that made Christian wonder about what, exactly, had happened during that meeting that had set both of them off.

Safi was a good man, a good person, protective and kind even if he didn’t like you very much. Not everyone was going to like him, he could get grumpy, and his sense of humor was uniquely his.

Steve was also a good man and person, he was a hero and always tried to do the right thing, even if it was hard.

Christian understood that sometimes people just rubbed each other the wrong way, but he also wondered why when it came to these two men. They were both great, they had things in common, like being in the army (granted, of different countries), and disliking criminals. Still, Steve trying to say that some people just didn’t click was… Not an answer that he could happily accept as easily as an actual reason. Still, the ‘different versions of the same person’ thing did make a certain amount of sense. He didn’t like being called Tony Stark. (Even if he was thrilled with how well he’d age - that was a very big plus side to coming to Hub. He still needed to figure out how old that Tony had been before he’d been able to grow his distinctive Van Dyke…) Even though Tony Stark was a hero, was his hero, he was himself, and he wanted to be seen as such. And… Yeah, it was weird when someone thought he was the Avenger, and it was odd to think that, in another life, that could have been him.

Actually, it was sort of depressing to think that he was as unsuccessful as he was in this life when he could have become so much more.

“I can understand that.”

Ask Agatha. Chris chuckled and shook his head, “Agatha said it is what it is.” She could be a bit abrupt sometimes, but she was nice for the most part, a bit forward, but Chris respected that. Still, she told him to figure things out for himself, and to accept things for what they were a lot. He smiled to Steve, “I’m learning about portals while I’m here, too… I’ll ask her.” As much as he loved having Steve around, but he didn’t blame the man for wanting to go home. To see the people he knew and cared about, to be able to be the hero that the man naturally was.
Marvel-616 Universe

249 Posts
6 Threads
Job: Soldier/Avenger
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

All Accounts Posts: 278
"I understand."

Steve's shoulders un-tense. He was hoping Christian would, especially given how similar he looked to Mr. Stark (give or take a few decades) he must have some idea how weird it is to meet another version of yourself. Though, out of everyone, Christian seems to be handling of the best by far. He never seems to let things keep his down for long. Steve really admires that about him.

"Thank you. I appreciate it. Not that I don't enjoy the hub, but I would like to go home," Steve says.

The waitress comes back with two plates of food. Steve immediately tears into his. The food is as delicious as he remembered. Good. He really wants Christian to like the food. In fact he really wants Christian to like everything about his day off. Steve plans on taking him for a walk around Brooklyn after lunch.
DC-DCTVU-1

402 Posts
15 Threads
Nyte

Of course Christian understood. No one wanted to be compared to someone else, regardless of who that other person was. Tony Stark was Chris' hero, had always been his hero, and honestly, that hadn't changed even since he had met more than one version of the man. Chris knew that were he to be fair and truthful with himself, he was jealous, not of who they were (okay, maybe of who they were to a specific Israeli man...), but of who he perhaps could have been. That maybe, with a family, even a bad one, he could have been something more than a pacifistic P. A. That was his fault, not Tongs., and Chris knew that.

The thing with Safi was... Better not considered too closely lest his day off be ruined.

Christian tried to deal with problems as they came up. Things had happened, and some of it bothered him, but he tried to put them aside and be fair with people. He liked to think he was fairly acceptable. "Of course you would. If its possible, I'll see if I can make it happen."

Steve dug into his food with gusto. Christian ate his with a fork and knife, eating more slowly than his friend, but with no less enjoyment. He ate steadily, without hesitating, but he took his time, savoring it. "This is really good." The words were soft, but not too quiet, "I'm glad I found Hub, you know. I've learned so much. Not everything has been... Good... But it's never going to be only good. That's fantasy, not life."
Marvel-616 Universe

249 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

"Thank you" Steve says sincerely, "but don't let it distract you too much from learning what you need to learn to help Cas. "

Without being obvious, Steve watches Christian savor the food. A small bubble of pride forms in his chest that Christian approved of his diner choice.

"It would be nice to have a little more good in the world though." Steve says. He had been a little disappointed after waking up in the 60s and finding that humanity hadn't progressed as much as he had hoped.

"Do you have any plans after lunch?" Steve asks casually, "if not, I was going to go for a walk around Brooklyn and see if the old dog park is still there. You're welcome to join me."
DC-DCTVU-1

402 Posts
15 Threads
Nyte

Steve was so sweet, of course he would want to make sure that Christian wasn't distracted from his current goal in order to help him. still Christian was going to do his damnedest to try to learn what he needed in order to make sure that Steve could have a way home. “Of course,” Christian told him, “learning the curse cure is my priority, but I'm learning a lot of other things too. I don't see why learning about portals is any different.”

Christian did not realize it's he was watching him eat, he was enjoying his food wasn't very often that he was able to have something like a Coney Dog, especially not one actually from New York. He most certainly did approve of Steve's choice of diners.

"It would be. I think most people would feel the same way, but I also think that people appreciate what is good because of the bad. Growing up without a family certainly made me appreciate Belle more than if I had had a family." He probably shouldn't, but Christian knew that Steve wasn't as impressed with modern-day as he might have been, but he wasn't really sure that the comic book were very accurate, especially seeing that Tony had said that they had not been right about his childhood.

When Steve asked if he had any plans after lunch Christian shook his head, “No I don't, do you?” He smiled at Steve's invitation, “Sounds like a really good way to work off dinner, as long as you don't mind."
Marvel-616 Universe

249 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

"Portals seem pretty tricky though," Steve says, then gives a small smile, "then again all magic seems pretty tricky to me."

"That is a good point," Steve says, staring thoughtfully at his hamburger, "I always appreciated a good meal more growing up after having to skip a few first...but it still shouldn't have to have been like that. Kids shouldn't have to skip meals because they can't afford it or not have families."

"Of course not," Steve grins as he finishes off the last bite of his burger and waits politely for Christian to finish.
DC-DCTVU-1

402 Posts
15 Threads
Nyte

Portals were very tricky. All magic have the potential to be difficult, but portals took more energy and needed proper groundwork in order to be reliable and to last. “They are,” he said, “but I've made more than one now, and while neither of those were easy to make they were definitely not impossible either.”

Everyone always appreciated things that they didn't have before once they could have them. You looked forward to the light after a long darkness, you looked forward to the warmth of summer after a long cold winter. good and bad were just the same, one leading you to appreciate the other. But he agreed, children should never have to go hungry, should never have to feel unloved, not for all the future appreciation in the world.

“You're right. But these things are going to happen, and at least something good can come out of it. I'd hate to think of a world where nothing good ever came out of anything, where there were no silver linings in the clouds.”

With a smile, Christian nodded, “Sounds like we have a plan then.” He grinned at Steve, “just remember I'm no super soldier. My short little legs only go so fast.” He was relaxed as he spoke, obviously only joking around, comfortable enough with Steve to do that. It was amazing how Hub had done that, had introduced Chris to people he could simply be himself with.
Marvel-616 Universe

249 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Christian is so clever. Steve beams at him, impressed. "Is it harder, making a portal to someplace you've never been before?" Steve asks curiously.

"Perhaps," Steve says, still a bit lost in memories of cold hungry nights where the money went towards more medicine for him rather than food, "but people can be grateful without having to have terrible things happen to them."

Christian's gentle teasing breaks Steve out of the dark mood that is threatening their pleasant day. He shoots Christian a smile. "Don't worry, if you get tired I don't mind carrying you back." Steve jokes.
DC-DCTVU-1

402 Posts
15 Threads
Nyte

Making a portal to anywhere was difficult, really. It was something that not everyone could do, but Christian had the ability; he had enough magical might to pull it off, and the knowledge (thank you Mr. Constantine) to put one together. He didn’t have a ton of practice doing it, but he knew the ritual, knew the requirements of it, and he had the capability. “I haven’t tried to make one to somewhere I’ve never been before, but I imagine that it would be a bit harder, yes. Not impossible, though; I know it can be done.”

Christian nods slowly; he knew Steve is right, and he wished that the world could be different, of course he did, he wouldn’t wish his childhood on someone else, and he knew that others (like Steve) had had it so much worse. “They can. And I wish that was possible.” He looked down in thought as he finished his meal, “I suppose I want to look back at the bad and think it served a purpose instead of just being bad for the sake of itself.” He grinned as he finished the coney dog and looked back up to Steve to tease him a bit.

He teased to break the mood, for Steve as well as for himself; it was nice to be able to joke with a friend, and Steve looked on the edge of being dragged down by the topic of conversation. Steve’s words earned a blink first. Because…

Was Steve… Flirting with him? Offering to carry him like that sort of sounded like… Chris flushed, eyes lowering, “Oh, that’s good. I know I wouldn’t mind being carried back if I get too tired.”
Marvel-616 Universe

249 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

"well that can be very useful." Steve says thoughtfully. He knows that Christian would never want to fight, and he would never ask that of him, but he does wonder if Christian would be open to being a support member of the Avengers. He could save a lot people by opening portals and allowing trapped citizens to escape where battles are happening.

"It helped make you into the man you are today, though I still wish you didn't have to go through with it," Steve says. As Christian finishes the last of his food the waitress stops by with the bill. Steve pays. He still has some money from before he entered the hub, and he isn't sure if Christian's money from his universe counts as real money in this universe and time period. Besides, he's the one who asked Christian to join him for lunch.

Christian goes bright red at Steve's joke, which is both adorable and gratifying for Steve. Steve tries not to immediately start planning the longest walk possible.

"Excellent. Anything in particular that you would like to see first?" Steve asks.
DC-DCTVU-1

402 Posts
15 Threads
Nyte

Portals could be very very useful. Christian knew that he could make portals, but he had never tried to make a portal to somewhere he hadn't been yet. It had to be able to be done, the Portal to the Hub came from somewhere, but he did not know where, or who made it, if anyone. For all Christian knew this was a natural phenomenon. “I suppose it could be useful”, Christian said, “but they take a lot of work and a lot of energy, they are far from my easiest spell”. truth be told, they were one of Christians harder spells to cast, as they took a lot of energy and a lot of focus. Ritual magic was not one of Christians strengths, even though he could indeed cast that way.

Yes, Christian’s past definitely shaped him into the person that he currently was, and as difficult as his life had been, he would definitely not change anything. His childhood of had been difficult, but he had always had Belle, and he would never give that up not for anything.

“It did. And I'm happy with who I am. so I suppose I wouldn't change it.” Christian didn't comment when Steve paid but he did frown, not entirely comfortable with being treated, even for such a simple meal. Still, this was Steve. Christian hadn't considered that his money might not work in this universe, he's always been able to find something to trade or barter or use his own currency in Hub.

When Christian blushed, he rarely thought of it anymore, as he did so often around Safi.

Of course, he also didn't realize that Steve was planning to take a longer walk just to see Christian tucker out. “Well," Christian said, “this is my first time in New York, I grew up in the South, in Georgia, and moved to Central City once I had graduated, So I haven't really had the chance to do much traveling. Is there somewhere you would suggest us go and see first?” Christian was happy to take whatever suggestion Steve made, he definitely knew the city better, as well as its history. And Christian trusted Steve.
Marvel-616 Universe

249 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

"what other spells or types of magic do you know?" Steve asks curiously. The world of magic was all brand new to him.

As they stand to leave Christian admits that he's never been to New York City before. All thoughts of flirting immediately flee Steve's mind.

"You've never been to The City before?" He asks, slightly scandalized, "there's so much you have to see. We'll start in Brooklyn of course because you have to see that. Then we'll head over to Time Square. It's a bit touristy but everyone has to go at least once. Central Park has a zoo. We have to go see that. We probably don't have time to take in a baseball game, but we can to come back and see one, because baseball games in The City are the best."

Steve continues to ramble on, determined to fit as much NYC into the day as humanly possible.
DC-DCTVU-1

402 Posts
15 Threads
Nyte

What other spells and magics did he know? Christian blinked, his mouth working for a moment as he attempted to find a good way to answer Steve’s question without launching into a lecture about the different types of magic and what he could do with it. “Well, lots of things, Steve,” he smiled, brown eyes brightening as he found a way to explain the concept of magic to his friend, “Asking me what I can do with my magic is like asking you what you can do with your strength or your shield; the more creative and inventive I am, the more I can do with it. It’s an energy that I harness in the way that best suits my needs at the time, as long as I can think of how.” His smile turned into a grin, “So if I want to heal a wound, I have to picture it and have a focus, and then I can send my magic to repair the wound. Or if I want to run an engine, I have to imagine how the engine will run once I’ve powered it and use my magic to make it happen.”

No, Christian had never been to New York before. He lived halfway across the country from the city they stood in now. The closest he’d come was Gotham, which was just a bit south from the Big Apple, across the bay from Metropolis, and only then to visit his sister. “No, sorry,” he murmured, “I’ve never had the chance. Vacation time I have tends to get spent in Gotham, where Belle lives.” And now he came to Hub as often as he could. He listened to Steve dive into plans for showing him the city and relaxed, nodding along, “Sure, just remember that we’re here for more than a day; we can spread out all the things we should do over a few days, right? I’m pretty sure Agatha will make me take more days off.” If Steve wanted to catch a game, well, Christian would be certain to ask Agatha for a day off that would coincide with a game that Steve would enjoy watching.

Chris had never actually gone to a place, a city, and been a tourist. He hadn’t gone sightseeing, he had never visited a ‘tourist trap’. The idea of doing so now, in the company of someone who was obviously passionate about their city? He could see the appeal, feel the excitement. He grinned, nodding along as Steve expounded on the things they could do, where they would go. It sounded like a great day.
Marvel-616 Universe

249 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Steve smiles at the way Christian lights up as he describes how his magic works. Once again, Steve is struck by how many lives Christian could save without ever having to fight, if he became a superhero. People who can heal are always overlooked, but in Steve's opinion they are some of the most important people in a battle. "That's amazing," Steve says admiringly.

Steve blinks at him. "You can't see all of New York in only a few days. You can barely see all the tourist attractions in only a few days." Poor Christian, he clearly has no idea what he's missing out on, Steve thinks and he is determined to make sure Christian sees everything possible there is to see. Christian deserves it considering how hard he has been working on learning magic recently.
DC-DCTVU-1

402 Posts
15 Threads
Nyte

Magic is one of those subjects; it’s a happy one, it makes Christian feel like he has more to offer than just some (rather superb) organization skills. Like he’s more than a good eye for color with a black book with the numbers of nearly every caterer and florist and tailor in Central City, and a good working professional relationship with each and every one of those in his book. But in Hub, he needs to be more than just a fantastic PA. He needs to be able to fend for himself, he needs to be able to branch out. He needs his magic.

Which is why this trip, learning from Agatha, is so damn important. Yes, of course he wants to learn how to cure Castiel’s curse, that’s the most important priority, but if he can learn more, glean other spells and techniques, then all the better.

He couldn’t see all of New York in only a few days? Chris considered this, tilting his head as he did, and finally he came up with two different options; “Well…” he murmured, “We could either stay longer after we’re done, or we could go to a different New York? We don’t really have a time limit here, we just have to be careful.” Still, staying a bit longer to see New York with Steve? That sounded like a very nice way to spend some extra time to Christian. It seemed that New York was a thing that Steve felt very, very passionately about, and it was his home. Chris could sympathize, if not really empathize; he wasn’t attached to his home town, in fact, maybe the opposite… He wouldn’t want to bring any of his ‘new’ friends back there with him. But Steve felt quite differently, and Christian was happy to indulge and experience New York with such a passionate and thoughtful guide. “We could take our time, see all the things there are to see…”
Marvel-616 Universe

249 Posts
6 Threads
Sexual Orientation:
Becky

Stay in New York longer, after Christian finished his training? That sounded amazing. They could take things slower, actually enjoy all the sights (and food) New York had to offer. They could even take in a show. Steve wasn't overly fond of Broadway, but he knows it's something people usually like to see when they visit the city and Steve wants Christian to have the full experience.

But then he remembers why they are here and he finds himself reluctantly shaking his head.

"We can't stay. Cas is counting on us, and I know Wanda can send us back to the moment we left, but it wouldn't feel right going out and enjoying ourselves while he's waiting," Steve says, "but after, when Cas is better, maybe we can come back and do this the right way?"
DC-DCTVU-1

402 Posts
15 Threads
Nyte

There were a lot of things that Christian couldn’t claim to have done. Spend time in New York was amongst them, as was seeing a high quality performance of any musical, on or off Broadway. He could now claim to have had lunch in a diner with Steve Rogers, and that was a pretty damn awesome thing to be able to claim, if you asked Chris.

He missed home, and Hub, and Safi. Which was stupid, because home, Hub, and Safi wouldn’t even consider missing him. Wanda would take them back to a day or two from when they left; no one would have time to miss them. Hell, it was possible that no one would even realize they’d gone anywhere, really. (Okay, so Safi probably would. Safi noticed when Chris snuck out at night, which was just weird.)

That didn’t mean that Steve wasn’t right about Cas waiting for them. The angel was suffering a terrible curse, and while he had said that it wouldn’t be a problem as long as he remained in Hub, that was something hanging over his head that honestly couldn’t be easy to deal with. The knowledge that if he left Hub, if he went home… Nope. That was why Chris was doing this, and he had to keep that goal firmly in mind. “You’re right. It wouldn’t feel right, no matter of when we’ll get back.” He sucked in a breath and nodded, “Sure. Once Castiel is cured, then we can come back and see the sights. I’d like that.” He smiled, "And we'll be able to take our time then, too."