Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There Comes a Time When Silence is a Betrayal
September 11th, Tag Jaya
Star Trek-AOS

70 Posts
3 Threads
Job: Orion Slave
Ship Status: In a ship! (Kala? Naalth? idk)
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Moon

All Accounts Posts: 283
Nala threw open the door to the club with as much force as she could manage, satisfied with the crack sound that resounded as it hit the wall inside. "Jaya!" She yelled out, listening as the noise echoed through the rather empty building. Her footfalls shook the floor with the anger she put into each step, even as she angrily wiped away the small tear tracks on her cheeks.

She continued to stalk through the building until she threw open the door to her cousin's office. Nala walked forwards and kicked one of the chairs over as a means of demonstrating her upset without going so far as to push the pile of papers off of her cousin's desk. That seemed a tad excessive- even for Nala as she was at the moment. Though she certainly wished to do more.

Biting her lip to keep it from wobbling she met her cousin's eyes. Nala opened her mouth to speak- vaguely aware of how wretched her voice must be at the moment. "You lied to me." She managed finally, the sound coming out raw and uneven from her screaming and crying. "You told me that he was 'like family.' You failed to mention that that was because you had allowed him to marry a copy of me."

She tried to put the most venom into her glare that she could- knowing that it came out watery and betrayed instead.. "You let me walk into this situation- blindly. How could you?"
Star Trek-AOS

291 Posts
17 Threads
Job:
Ship Status: Single
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Katie

All Accounts Posts: 746
Jaya had stood up when the door to her office was thrown open, reaching for the blaster she'd recently purchased, and was, for a brief moment, relieved when the person who came in the door was Nala.

Her relief faded when she saw that it was a very upset, very pissed off Nala. "I agreed not to tell you because I was afraid that you'd react like this. That you wouldn't give Kaalth a chance, if you knew about the copy. I should have told you-I'm sorry I didn't. I just hoped that-the copy of you had liked him well enough, I thought maybe you'd like him too, and it wouldn't matter."
Star Trek-AOS

70 Posts
3 Threads
Moon

Nala sucked in a deep breath when her cousin replied- it was harder to maintain her anger in the face of an honest response. The betrayal readily took it's place- and with it the distress that came from that feeling. "I do like h-!" She choked on her words part way. "I did like him." She corrected with a downward glance, moving to sit ungracefully in the other upright remaining chair.

"But I could have come to terms with that- If I had known that from the beginning! I'm not angry that he married a copy of me- I'm upset that you thought it was alright to not tell me." Nala said- starting off emphatic, but voice quieting as she went. "Because- at first he'd have no reason to think I'd be coming here properly- so it's not unreasonable to try for a future with the woman who's available." She went on, tears welling back up in her eyes as she used her logic against her own anger.

"But to keep that from me? I know we sometimes butt heads- but I thought you cared about me." Nala finished quietly, most of her venom gone with the door swinging shut behind her.
Star Trek-AOS

291 Posts
17 Threads
Job:
Katie

"You're right, and I've apologized for that." Jaya said "Its what I get, for thinking that a man is going to be capable of making rational choices about his romantic life." although, if she was being honest, it wasn't just because of Kaalth's wishes; she'd also omitted that part because she didn't know how Nala would react to finding out that Jaya had made a copy of her cousin, but that wasn't the relevant point at the moment. "Would you have come to terms with it, though? Or would you have just rejected him out of hand, without even giving him a chance?"

Jaya sighed "Ok, I'll explain what happened, from the start. When I first made this place, it was a proof of concept, to see if I could, because what I really needed to do was reconstruct the mechanic's shed that Maya built before she went to study on Orion Prime, so that I would have some place to fix the shuttle. Plus I needed something that would draw in contacts and resources. To do that, I needed other people, and copies of my relatives seemed like a natural choice. Then Kaalth showed up and-well, I felt sorry for him-the poor thing didn't even have a universal translator, he'd been dependent on other people's translators, and on the two or three words of Terran that he'd managed to pick up. I knew I couldn't take him back with me-you've met him-he's a sweet guy, but I've met brighter pieces of furniture. He'd get eaten alive if he tried to do anything the Syndicate needs, and even back in one of the core systems, well, there aren't a lot of opportunities for someone who has no clue how to function in the modern world. Then, I noticed that he'd fixated on the copy of you that was here, and I figured that the problem was solved."

She shook her head, smiling at the memory "Honestly, I set things up so they'd be "married" just so that I wouldn't have to feel guilty about him spending money giving gifts to a copy. He still kept buying her stuff, though-the poor thing never figured out she wasn't real, not until I sat him down and told him. Anyway, I thought that it seemed like the kindest thing to do. I'd leave, and he'd at least have an approximation of a Orion woman around to look after him. I felt bad about it, but the only alternative was to take responsibility for him myself, and I'd rather have a husband that I can talk to. Someone who could be a partner. Then, after awhile, when the club started to be successful here, I started to think about staying, and bringing in more Orions, and well, I wanted you here. So I thought that the least I could do for Kaalth was to give him a chance at being with you. I'm sorry that you were offended."

"I do care about you, Nala. As I said, I thought that you would like him. I'm sorry that this revelation has changed your mind."
Star Trek-AOS

70 Posts
3 Threads
Moon

Nala glared up at her cousin. "I may not know for certain that I would get past it- but I know that finding out about this would only be more and more of a betrayal as time passed. Better to get a definitive answer than false hope." She nearly growled. Despite the anger that was curling her face again she linked her hands together and listened quietly. Nala's knuckles started going white from the force she was holding back.

Her head snapped up to meet Jaya's eyes at the remark about Kaalth's intelligence- Nala's mouth opening briefly to argue before remembering that she was angry at him. His intelligence wasn't in question- if anything Jaya had said about how quickly he had started to learn to read was true- than Kaalth was incredibly true. Now- Nala was inclined to agree that he wasn't particularly wise- perhaps a little simple at that- but his intelligence was without question.

She stood up with anger at Jaya's reply. "You're telling me that he couldn't recognize that this- this copy of me wasn't real, despite being here in the hub much longer than you- that you had to set it up so they were married- and you thought you should leave this choice in his hands? You-" She took a deep breath before puffing it back out in frustration.

"You claim you care about me- but I'm almost feeling like deliberate aggression would be better."
Star Trek-AOS

291 Posts
17 Threads
Job:
Katie

"Yes, I realize that it was a mistake." Jaya snapped "But he was so-when I told him, he just sat there, without saying anything, and then he asked how much your bride price would be. I told him that you'd expect to meet him, and that you'd never agree if I just showed up with the funds, even if he did have enough. Then he asked if you'd be upset about the copy. Yes, I should have worked harder to save him from his own stupidity, but I didn't. I'm sorry for that, truly I am." she sighed, and continued.

"You know now." Jaya said her tone becoming more apologetic " I'm sorry, for all of it. But now that you know, how do you want to handle the situation? Its your choice-this club runs on a 24 hour schedule, just like the House of Dawn does, so it will be easy to make certain that you and Kaalth are on opposite schedules. You won't need to see him, if you don't want to. I'd rather not fire him." she continued "Kaalth is a hard worker, and the rest of the staff like him, and I do feel responsible for him." Not quite responsible enough to take him for herself. "Do you want me to make him Padma's problem?"
Star Trek-AOS

70 Posts
3 Threads
Moon

Nala pursed her lips and let out an angry breath of air through her nose. She didn't even know what to say to her cousin at this point- it was annoying as hell to find herself rendered speechless. Even more so when it wasn't due to lack of things to say- but rather that she had so much anger and frustration and so many things to say that they blocked her voice from sheer volume.

Glaring at her cousin she crossed her arms. "I hope you are aware that it is remarkably difficult to yell out my anger when you're so calm about the situation." Nala remarked with a raised eyebrow at Jaya. Nala wrinkled her nose in distaste at the idea of pushing Kaalth off on Padma. "No matter how angry I am, he doesn't deserve that." Nala offered in an attempt at a joke- though she knew it fell flat. Being honest- she didn't like losing and letting Padma at the man seemed just that.

"Ugh." Nala vocalized clearly- trying to explain her frustration in one sound. "Just- no more meddling. That's all I ask."
Star Trek-AOS

291 Posts
17 Threads
Job:
Katie

"I apologize for inconveniencing you." Jaya replied, making a joke of her own "Next time, I'll try to be a better target. " with a nod she agreed "Ok, so Kaalth stays here, and I don't push Padma at him. Is there anything else you need to make the situation more bearable?"

Then Nala asked her to stay out of the situation, and it was all Jaya could do not to laugh. Because while Nala was shocked, and upset, Jaya was getting the impression that she wasn't totally certain that she was going to give up on Kaalth as material for a potential relationship. "I'll stay out of it." Jaya replied "unless you want me to get involved, I won't interfere, I promise. You're a grown woman, and can make your own choices."
Star Trek-AOS

70 Posts
3 Threads
Moon

Nala breathed a small sigh of relief- especially when her cousin deliberately avoided commenting about Nala maybe suggesting that there would be more to meddle with. "Thank you Jaya. Now if you don't mind, I will leave you to what you were doing before- and I'm going to read. My apologies for barging in." She gave a small, fairly flat smile, before walking out, closing the door softly, and then wiping the tear tracks from her cheeks.

Taking a shaky breath, she straightened her back and prepared to return to her room- aware that any or all of her coworkers could know what had happened. Nala was quite certain that she wouldn't be coming across as a particularly good figure in the story- but Kaalth didn't seem the type to intentionally malign her character. The best she could do was act like she wasn't at fault and leave herself closed to criticism.

Steeling herself for the walk, she opened the door to the residential part of the building and walked through swiftly. Noting a green face coming in her direction, she stopped abruptly and turned to be directly in his path. "Kaalth." Nala stated, crossing her arms and lifting her chin to look down her nose at him- an impressive challenge considering the height he had on her. She avoided evaluating his emotional state as well as she could while still making eye contact. "Your first lesson- from the real me I suppose- will be at the end of the week, midday, before my shift starts. If you are late, I will assume that you have no desire to learn and it will be cancelled." Nala enunciated- making certain that her point was quite clear- before she turned back to continue to her room. She forced herself to avoid running away despite knowing that she was leaving her back open to any comments he had.
Star Trek-AOS

104 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

Kaalth froze in place when he spotted Nala, hoping that she'd ignore him, but then she spoke to him. Spoke to him and for a long moment he just stood there, silently, not quite processing her words. She wanted to-why? Why would she want to spend time with him? He was garbage, trash, she'd shown that when she tossed away his gift. She'd turned her back and moved on before he could formulate a response and so he called out to get her attention.

"Nala! Nala, you don't have to. I know you promised, but you don't have to. Besides, at midday I'll be just getting done with my shift, I'll be so tired I won't be able to learn anything." Because he'd be on overnights, the least busy, and least desirable shift, certainly not the one that Nala would be working.
Star Trek-AOS

70 Posts
3 Threads
Moon

Nala stopped and turned back around. She sighed slightly, frustrated that she'd actually have to explain her thoughts. Not that she blamed him of course- it made sense he'd want to understand what she was saying- and she admittedly had some questions for him now as well. "I know I don't have to- but-" She flushed slightly, embarrassed to admit what she wanted to say. "-But as you likely know- I have two brothers, and to even fathom the idea of them being left uneducated- I-" She sighed slightly.

"I can't bring myself to ignore your situation. So I [u]want[/u] to help. No matter how upset I was by today's revelations." She rubbed the back of her neck with a frown, hoping that she was being clear but not too dramatic.

Shaking her head clear she matched her gaze to his once more. "And why would your shift be ending then? Are you requesting to work overnights?"
Star Trek-AOS

104 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

In spite of everything she still wanted to help him. Kaalth-well, he wasn't surprised, because this was Nala, and she'd always been thoughtful and kind. And this was just kindness, he reminded himself. It wasn't a sign that she had forgiven him, or that she ever would. But she had brothers, and for their sake, she was going to teach him to read.

He nodded and said "Thank you. I"ll be there, and I'll do my best." in answer to her question he said "Yeah, I was going to ask Jaya to put me on overnights permanently. Late nights and early mornings are-she won't have the Orions working then, so you won't have to-I won't be around."
Star Trek-AOS

70 Posts
3 Threads
Moon

Nala sighed slightly even as a frown made itself clear across her mouth. "Don't do that." She said after a moment of contemplation. "You spent enough years separated from your species- and even if I did want you that far removed from me- I would never ask you to do that. If I had intended for us to work different shifts, I would have switched to late nights and early mornings- If you feel strongly about having a different shift, ask Jaya to move me. I still have family here to spend time with- it will be little but a change in timing for me." She turned again to walk away- pausing in her stride only long enough to call back over her shoulder.

"Besides- if I had a choice- I'd want you on my shift. The strongest bouncer means the best protection if all else fails." She said with a small, almost smile.
Star Trek-AOS

104 Posts
9 Threads
Job:
Ship Status:
Sexual Orientation:
Star Trek

"Ok, I won't ask her to change my shift." Kaalth said, still confused, but not wanting to contradict her. Especially not after she said she wanted him around. Wanted him around because he'd be useful-and wasn't that why women wanted guys around? Maybe-just maybe she'd forgive him, and then, well, maybe. He could live with maybe. Feeling better than he had before, Kaalth headed back to his room. He had studying to do.